AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Accuphase (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   New PS530 and PS1230 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=37183)

TOGA 09-27-2016 08:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Curious what improvement it will bring over 20 models. Toga

http://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/201609/21/17771.html

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...4163455382.jpg

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...1881547401.jpg

TOGA 09-27-2016 08:39 AM

They have responded to my suggestion. I requested through my dealer long ago to ask Accuphase
To make the meter light on/off switch, so that it will not disturb in the fully dark home theater.
And now they really make that meter off switch.

Toga

TommyC 09-27-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 805665)
They have responded to my suggestion. I requested through my dealer long ago to ask Accuphase
To make the meter light on/off switch, so that it will not disturb in the fully dark home theater.
And now they really make that meter off switch.

Toga

Wow, you don't see that everyday :thumbs: Good on them for listening to the customers.

TOGA 09-29-2016 07:12 AM

http://www.accuphase.co.jp/cat/ps-1230.pdf

Weirdcuba 09-13-2018 03:32 PM

Order in for two new ps1230s. It’s a long, sad, expensive story.

jdandy 09-13-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 931383)

Jim.......Congratulations on your new pair of Accuphase PS-1230 Clean Power Supply components. Together with the other top shelf Accuphase audio components, you are assembling a world class sound system. I will be watching for your review and photos.

http://www.accuphase.com/model/photo/ps-1230.jpg

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/ps-1230_e.pdf

Weirdcuba 09-13-2018 03:59 PM

Thanks dan.

And I thank you for your expert comments and analysis as I pondered the decision. To all, dan is a real resource and kindly shared his expertise as I made another lunatic accuphase decision. I really appreciate it.

My wallet, on the other hand, does not appreciate it.

Weirdcuba 09-13-2018 06:15 PM

Forgot to say that canonicus and Tommyb also provided valuable input in the process. Thanks guys.

TommyC 09-13-2018 09:47 PM

You don't fool around Jim. Congrats! You're in for a treat. Watch your back. They are really heavy.

vegaracer1 09-13-2018 10:38 PM

Sweet setup, congratulations.

GreginNH1 09-15-2018 08:23 AM

Jim - BIG congrats on the new components! I am sure you will be extremely happy with this upgrade!

Sniper17 09-27-2018 02:59 AM

Does anyone have experience with Accuphase vs Shunyata power conditioning?

Weirdcuba 09-27-2018 08:29 AM

That was my major decision in this hunt - shunyata v. accuphase. Ultimately, I went with the "it never let me down" argument and the increased WAF, but there's lots to be said for Shunyata and lots and lots of great reviews out there. If I didn't have an accuphase system (and a wife commenting on the looks of the beast sitting in our living room), I likely would have gone for Shunyata (Triton/Typhon/et al).

TOGA 10-09-2018 11:34 AM

My PS520 has never failed me for years, but now for comparison purpose,
I ordered PS AUDIO P15 to compare it with PS520, the one that I like less,
will be moved to HT corner to feed OPPO 4K Player and Marantz AV8805 processor.
The winner will feed 2ch corner, which are ARC Ref40 and Ayon CD-35 CD Player.

Toga

audio bill 10-09-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 934956)
My PS520 has never failed me for years, but now for comparison purpose,
will be moved to HT corner to feed OPPO 4K Player and Marantz AV8805 processor.
The winner will feed 2ch corner, which are ARC Ref40 and Ayon CD-35 CD Player.

Toga

@Toga - This should be an interesting comparison, please keep us informed of your findings! TIA :thumbsup:

Charles 10-13-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 931383)

Absolute congrats on your purchase. It's been my experience that when they arrive if they haven't already that you will quickly forget the expense as you hear the improvement in your sound. When I did my upgrade (it took me 25 years) I went with AQ Niagara's and Dragon power cords, not because I thought they were the best but because it's what my dealer carried. I have been pleased with the result, though. May I ask their cost and did I overlook what power cords you will be using? Again congratulations! I know you will be extremely pleased.

Weirdcuba 10-13-2018 04:45 PM

The cost well less than retail, thanks to Ivan. PM him for pricing.

Using Verastarr high capacity cables.

Charles 10-13-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 935624)
The cost well less than retail(which I think is $17k), thanks to Ivan. PM him for pricing.

Using Verastarr high capacity cables.

Looked up Verastarr. Plan on reading more about them. Absolutely beautiful upgrade plan you have. These cables seem of the same extreme quality as the Accuphase power conditioners. Although many folks would deny it, I believe you can hear cables and power conditioners.

TommyC 11-08-2018 10:33 PM

Update on the PS1230s Jim?

Weirdcuba 11-08-2018 11:42 PM

They dropped one off the truck, so I have the other sitting in my living room unopened. Now, there’s an audio show In Japan, so not much news on the replacement from there. Should be this month.

GreginNH1 11-09-2018 08:32 AM

Jim - that really sucks. I hope the replacement arrives quickly.

Weirdcuba 11-09-2018 03:07 PM

Damage wasn’t bad (i suspect it was cosmetic only), but no need to take a risk.

SCAudiophile 11-09-2018 04:39 PM

Jim, best of luck getting this resolved!

Weirdcuba 11-09-2018 10:02 PM

Just waiting. Listening to qobuz right now though - sounds awesome.

brodricj 11-24-2018 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 934956)
will be moved to HT corner

Waiting on that assessment. I'm contemplating changing from PS Audio to Accuphase.

Weirdcuba 11-24-2018 07:21 AM

Well, I’m shipping my PSAudio units off to VERY patient buyers today. (Thanks again guys, apologies for the delay).

Then, I go to Europe for a week of business and then ten days in the SEYCHELLES fly fishing (wish me luck - better be awesome as it’s a Way Way long trip). New unit should be here when I get back, so I should have something mid December or so.

Weirdcuba 11-25-2018 11:59 AM

Unboxed and listened to it last night. As with all accuphase, the fit and finish is over the top- everyone of these feels like you could keep it a lifetime. I LOVE the analog meters - wish they had them on my amps. Couldn’t tell much on the sound as half the system was on the 1230 and half was on the p10. Now, I’ll be gone for several weeks and will get the second on my return, so audio memory (which is not very good, closer to non existent), will be my only comparison.

One good thing though - the wife at least said “well, the new gold sh!t looks better than the old black sh!t.”

SCAudiophile 11-25-2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 942060)
Unboxed and listened to it last night. As with all accuphase, the fit and finish is over the top- everyone of these feels like you could keep it a lifetime. I LOVE the analog meters - wish they had them on my amps. Couldn’t tell much on the sound as half the system was on the 1230 and half was on the p10. Now, I’ll be gone for several weeks and will get the second on my return, so audio memory (which is not very good, closer to non existent), will be my only comparison.

One good thing though - the wife at least said “well, the new gold sh!t looks better than the old black sh!t.”

Congratulations!!!

jesuisunutopiste 02-21-2019 01:17 PM

Hello there,
I am not sure if somebody is reading my question in this forum page that got not alimented since a month before last Christmas.
I got now a PS-520, and it is put in front of my C-2120 and my P-4200 (I got the three machines brand new at a very good price because all the new models are out).
What power cables are needed here? Some people say that the Accuphase cables are sufficient. Others put very expensive gear here. Where should we invest the most money for power cables? Before the PS, or between the PS and the source, or between the PS and the pre-amp? Yes, I know, everywhere...
But what is the most important?
Or are the PS from Accuphase that good that expensive powercords bring no results?
Thanks for your advice!

jesuisunutopiste 02-21-2019 02:33 PM

Thanks!
I never took the power cables out of the Accuphase boxes and right now I am using 'lower budget' Wireworld power cord cables, but I know that I must upgrade. I know that the Platinum Electra are probably the thing needed here. But maybe Silver Electra's will do it for a start.
What is the most important place to put a good power cord? Between the wall and the PS-520 I guess.

Canonicus 02-21-2019 02:37 PM

It all starts at the wall, so put the best there and work back.
If you can afford Platinum PC's, you will be greatly rewarded.

jesuisunutopiste 02-22-2019 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonicus (Post 954187)
It all starts at the wall, so put the best there and work back.
If you can afford Platinum PC's, you will be greatly rewarded.

thanks for the advice, I will start like this!

TommyC 02-22-2019 03:41 AM

Jim, how about an update on the duo PS1230? Should be broken in by now.

Weirdcuba 02-22-2019 07:29 AM

Thought about that when I saw this thread revive. On the list for this weekend. Short review - awesome. Just like all my accuphase stuff.

Weirdcuba 02-23-2019 09:38 PM

Thanks Dave for the reminder.

You are correct that the PS1230s (2 of them, not one) are broken in at this point. I set them up about mid-December and they've been in the rotation since that time. They replaced two PSAudio P10s, which I liked, but the P20 made me think. Then, I thought too hard, lost track of the checkbook, talked to Dan and you and others, and shit, I bought two of them.

I have not been disappointed. Right out of the box, they created a wider, deeper, quieter soundstage that simply was not there before. I loved the P10s (and, to be clear, they were a rather small fraction of the cost of the PS1230s), but there is simply no comparing them. I added the P20 to my system, but I didn't care for the size and the unit I got was not DOA, but had a terrible clicking sound that wouldn't go away (with a reset, firmware update, etc.). Not being crazy about the form factor (or having to send it back for a new one), I plunked down about four times the green for two PS1230s.

For those that know Accuphase, the 1230s don't disappoint. First of all, they're heavy - not as heavy as my A200s, but pretty darn close. Second, they're beautiful - wife actually approves of the look. If you like the brushed gold face and general Accuphase aesthetic, these are right up your alley. I love the analog read out that one can switch on or off and check various settings, meter readings for incoming voltage, etc. In fact, I'm going to get up and turn it on right now, just because it's awesome (in low light, I often turn off as many readouts as possible). The only thing I don't like about the facade is the on/off switch, which is ... dare I say it .... plastic. I was amazed when I flipped it on - it still has that great Accuphase feel in movement, but it is, after all, .... plastic. I just love the power switch on the A200s and the C3800, but this one leaves me feeling synthetic. It's OK, and by no means fatal, but come on - this is Accuphase, and I want to feel that brushed gold under every button and knob.

The rear provides 8 120v outlets that are tight as a drum - nothing flimsy there. One thing I lost as compared to the PSAudio products was the high voltage outlets that control the power surging through to the amps, but I just give a little time (about a five count) between flipping on components and all seems to be well. I have them sitting on four stillpoints (forget which ones, I can never tell them apart) and they're just quiet - like night time in the snow.

Sound quality, it is what one might expect (if one is an Accuphase fan). If the A200s had an iron grip on the TADs before, then after the 1230s, they have a titanium grip (apologies for the bad analogy, but it's all I could think of). Just damn strong sounding, but still like all of my accuphase components:

- precision, without sharpness
- smooth, without washing out
- strength, without over bearing
- touch, without too much softness
- unique classic look, without short lived novelty

Highly, highly recommended. Only issue is that I'll have one on each amp in the new room and will have to get something else to run the source components (which will hopefully be quite a distance away).

They do not disappoint. Footnote reference to the ridiculous pricing in the US, but damn I love this stuff.

Weirdcuba 02-23-2019 09:51 PM

Forgot to say, I am sure there is some synergy in combining these with other Accuphase components. It certainly made me more comfortable to buy them knowing that these would pair perfectly with my other Accuphase kit. I think they'd still do great with other components, but I will say that the likely synergy was something I anticipated, and that anticipation was borne out when I flipped them on. Frankly, it would be hard to mix this gold faced stuff with other kit if they were close to one another (from an aesthetic perspective), but I'd love a report on mixing and matching these babies with stuff from another good manufacturer.

TommyC 02-23-2019 10:35 PM

Excellent review Jim! Thanks for taking the time and effort to do it.

You can get a PS530 for the rest of your components!

Canonicus 02-23-2019 11:07 PM

What a terrific write up and summary especially about the Accuphase sound and experience.

jesuisunutopiste 02-24-2019 02:33 AM

Nice review indeed!
Thanks!
I put a ps-520 in front of my system c-2120 and p-4200, the Esoteric SACD player also benefits from the clean sound of the ps-520. Well, I think so ...
... because I am not able to compare.
I put immediately all the brand new gear (ps-520, c-2120 and p-4200) to feed my Scala Utopia v2. My dealers told me that the p-4200 does not necessarily need to go with the ps-520, but it does. The 'small' ps can handle everything, luckily.
Now, I still need to look for the best cabling for me, a new rack (actually two) are also ordered. And I think about spikes, etc.
But Audio-Nirvana is already reached.
Although the look of the Accuphase gear is ... interesting.

(YES, that black plastic button on the ps should be replaced, but there must be a technical reason. It looks to me more than a switch - were you move something - than just a button)

djradu2004 11-08-2019 05:07 AM

Hello Accuphase lovers!

A have a question for you: can a PS-1230 work with a pair of M-6200 + C-3850 + DP-750?
My room has 20mp and my speakers are Dynaudio Confidence C4.
I don't listen to music at very high volume.
I don't find owners manual in english for this product.
From what I understand from a japanese PS-1230 owners manual with google translate:

"Turn off the power switch of PS-1230 or the connected device.
Refer to the catalog and instruction manual of the connected load device, and the total power consumption of the load device should not exceed 1200 VA.
Select the device.
Refer to page 13 for a list of power values for the main products.
After connection, turn on the power, press 4 button, and the meter display should not exceed 1200 VA
Make sure that In addition, when a pre-main amplifier or power amplifier is connected, the sound is actually output from the speaker, The meter reading should not exceed 1200 VA.
When including loads such as power amplifiers, where power consumption varies greatly depending on volume It is recommended to use at about 800 VA when there is no signal. For large output There is a risk of exceeding 1200 VA.It is recommended to use at about 800 VA when there is no signal.For large output There is a risk of exceeding 1200 VA.
If the meter reading is 1200 VA or less, turn on / off the power switch of the unit with the connected device turned on.
can.
Since the rated capacity of PS-1230 is 1200VA, it is more than the total power consumption displayed in the catalog.
Please select a model. In particular, the pre-main amplifier and power amplifier have a large difference between W and VA.
Is necessary. For low-power models such as tuners, CD players, and preamplifiers, add power consumption (VA value).
Select the device.
● The power consumption of the pre-main amplifier and power amplifier varies depending on the size of the music output.
Refer to the display power according to the Elegance Safety Act.
The electrical power according to the Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law is a measured value at the lowest rated impedance, so it is a fairly large value.
The However, when listening at a normal volume with a speaker with an impedance of about 8Ω, the power consumption is small.
This is the value between when there is no signal. For this reason, the meter reading is 1200VA at the maximum volume when the sound is actually emitted
If it is within, it can be used.
● In case of overload exceeding the rated capacity, the 4 meter display switch button LED will flash to warn you. Ignore this
If the power becomes even higher, a circuit protector (breaker) that doubles as a power switch shuts off the power.
The In such a case, reduce the number of connected devices to 1200VA or less and turn the power switch on again."

Thank you very much in advance!