AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Analog Pressings (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   The Beatles in Mono - what are my options? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46503)

Mgrenwick 08-25-2019 01:10 PM

The Beatles in Mono - what are my options?

So I promised myself I would get into the Beatles with my new hifi and would prefer to do so in Mono. I see the box set is available but very expensive considering its over double what it was at release.

What are my options if I am looking to hear all the albums at close to the originals as possible? I am wrong in thinking all the albums were done originally in mono?

I was emailing Michael Fremer and he implied they were going to be released individually in mono, but I haven't seen that yet.

Also, I have seen the Beatles EP Collection from Japan - what is the word on those pressings?

Thanks!

nicoff 08-25-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgrenwick (Post 977359)
What are my options if I am looking to hear all the albums at close to the originals as possible? I am wrong in thinking all the albums were done originally in mono?

The closest to the 'originals' would be the actual albums released in the 60's. Thats because the mono releases that you are referring to were remastered prior to being reissued in mono. I personally like the remastered mono versions.

Most of the recordings of The Beatles were originally issued in Mono. I believe that only Let It Be and Abbey Road were initially released in Stereo.

timztunz 08-25-2019 03:17 PM

In terms of quietness and sound quality you’ll save money in the long run just biting the bullet and getting the box set, IMHO.

bart 08-25-2019 04:03 PM

The newest remasters of Sergeant Pepper's and the Double White in stereo are superior to the 2009 remasters (I've heard only the digital versions).
I'd recommend these and Abbey Road in stereo. :yes:

audioguy3107 08-25-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgrenwick (Post 977359)
So I promised myself I would get into the Beatles with my new hifi and would prefer to do so in Mono. I see the box set is available but very expensive considering its over double what it was at release.

I was emailing Michael Fremer and he implied they were going to be released individually in mono, but I haven't seen that yet.

Also, I have seen the Beatles EP Collection from Japan - what is the word on those pressings?

Thanks!

You've got several options, unfortunately none of them are what I would consider "cheap". The best by far would be to secure original UK monos but you're going to pay a hefty price, plus worry about condition etc since all of these albums are going to be considered "collectors" items. I also have the Beatles box set in Mono on standard redbook CD....I believe this box was released in 2006 or 07, can't remember exactly but they sound pretty good as well. Unless you want to get into $$$ and the collectors market, the Mono Vinyl Box set of a few years ago is really the best way to go about doing this. They sound fantastic and you don't really have to worry about condition assuming it's a new set or only played a couple of times. I haven't looked but I guess these sets are going for quite a bit more money now that they're out of print? If you want to just go for it and not worry about everything else, this would be the way to go and be done with it. Remember that the Mono box set goes up to Magical Mystery Tour......Abbey Road and Let It Be isn't included since they're stereo albums.

- Buck

Antonmb 08-25-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 977374)
The newest remasters of Sergeant Pepper's and the Double White in stereo are superior to the 2009 remasters (I've heard only the digital versions).

I'd recommend these and Abbey Road in stereo. :yes:

The vinyl versions of these recent remasters are excellent as well.

mulveling 08-26-2019 02:20 PM

I bought the Mono LP boxset off Discogs from a Russian seller, about a year and a half ago, "factory sealed". It cost $450 and took forever to get here - and I wasn't always sure I'd get it at all. But it was worth the wait; the entire set sounds phenomenal and every disc is pressed on incredibly quiet pristine vinyl. Looking at DiscOgs now, the cheapest sets are in the $600s, unfortunately.

Compared to my one vintage Parlaphone mono pressing (Hard Day's Night), the sound quality is easily on par; the vintage pressing has a bit more air & sparkle up top, and the reissue is a bit smoother and way, way WAY quieter. Both are incredibly enjoyable, but the super-low noise floor of the reissue makes for a wonderful listening experience.

Mgrenwick 08-31-2019 04:51 PM

Thanks for the replies!
I bought two mono box sets, one used and one unopened.
I figure I'll put the unopened one in the closet and hold it for awhile.
I also splurged on a Japanese Box Set of the EP's - absolutely mint!
I think its really cool and can't wait to run through all these records.

Mgrenwick 08-31-2019 04:51 PM

Thanks for the replies!

bart 08-31-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgrenwick (Post 978002)
Thanks for the replies!

Enjoy and keep us updated about your experiences!