AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Ye' Old Workshop (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Kitchen Refurb (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40273)

NZ421291 08-17-2017 06:42 PM

Kitchen Refurb

8 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Lived in our small townhouse for 18 years. Refurbed the bathrooms 2 years ago, and that was a nightmare, but we plucked up the courage to do the kitchen as it has always driven us crazy, being very poorly designed & with horrible 1990's peach pink tiles, and as a rule, I loath tiles!

So I budgeted on $40k for the refurb, but it will be over $60k once we have finished!

Toughest part of the whole process is that the kitchen & lounge are 'open plan' & so I had to decommission my HiFi system due to the dust that was going to be produced etc.

Living out of our garage is no fun, its mid winter here, very cold & damp- and just to make matters worse, we were both sick the day we started to demolish the old kitchen. I ended up with pneumonia- which the set-off constant asthma attacks- so a bad start.

Saved some money as my 78yr old Dad assisted breaking up the old tiles & helped fix the holes in the Gib Board (I think you call Gib Board - sheet rock in the USA?).

Anyway, the Jarrah Floors are in & look great. They will be sanded & polished on Monday, the carpets cleaned next week (can reassemble my system then), with the kitchen installed on the 31st & the Ceaserstone bench & splash-back 2 weeks later.

Here's some photos- Im hoping that partially blocking off the kitchen will help the sound of my system!

I have to re position the HiFi rack as the new heat pump is now located there. I ve had to buy 2 eight metre pairs of speaker cable- picked Wireworld Solstice 7, based on Dan's review- so hoping they sound as good as Dan says!

Will post pictures once the system is re-set-up.

Cheers
Nick

jdandy 08-17-2017 06:49 PM

Nick.......BIG chore, but it looks like it is finally coming together.

vintage_tube 08-17-2017 11:59 PM

Looking good Nick -- the floors are gorgeous & will be more so after sanding & finishing. Can't wait to see how the kitchen area is transformed.

Kudos to your Dad for "getting dirty'.:thumbsup:

Best Sir,

Bob

NZ421291 08-21-2017 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 862406)
Looking good Nick -- the floors are gorgeous & will be more so after sanding & finishing. Can't wait to see how the kitchen area is transformed.

Kudos to your Dad for "getting dirty'.:thumbsup:

Best Sir,

Bob

Well, they finished sanding the floor today & have applied the 1st coat of polyurethane- WOW, floor looks amazing!

Jarrah wood, like All Australians, is very dense (just a little ANZAC Joke!), love the grain, the reddish tinge, and the warmth.

Dont know if you can get Jarrah in the USA- if you can, it has my strongest recommendation- fabulous wood.

vintage_tube 08-21-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ421291 (Post 863149)
Well, they finished sanding the floor today & have applied the 1st coat of polyurethane- WOW, floor looks amazing!

Jarrah wood, like All Australians, is very dense (just a little ANZAC Joke!), love the grain, the reddish tinge, and the warmth.

Dont know if you can get Jarrah in the USA- if you can, it has my strongest recommendation- fabulous wood.

Awesome and such a brilliant shine and grain pattern. Yes, it is available from lumber suppliers in the USA.

Surprised to learn the tree itself can be quite large - up to 150 feet tall and 5 feet in diameter.

Best Sir,

Bob