AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25111)

JWJW 01-30-2014 09:31 PM

PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport

Anyone using this unit? I've been thinking about upgrading my Mc MCD301. Curious if this would be a move up the ladder. :scratch2:

Your opinion/input please!

jdandy 01-30-2014 09:34 PM

Jon.......What would you be using for a DAC? Have you given any consideration to the MCD1100 in the Marketplace?

JWJW 01-30-2014 11:00 PM

Hi Dan,
I was going to use the built in DAC in my MA8000. 1st choice would be a MCD500. The PS Transport intrigues me though…..the price sure is right. :scratch2:

redm 01-31-2014 01:40 AM

The pwd mark II paired with the pwt make a great combination and can be linked via the i2s port. :thumbsup:

doggiehowser 01-31-2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWJW (Post 575669)
Anyone using this unit? I've been thinking about upgrading my Mc MCD301. Curious if this would be a move up the ladder. :scratch2:

Your opinion/input please!

From my reading of the literature, the PW Transport only comes into its own when partnered with the PW DAC. There's a buffer on the I2S stream that is linked to the I2S input on the DAC. Not using that input would not allow the transport to shine.

If you want a good CD transport, here are some of my favourites:
- Chord Blu transport (CD Pro2 based)
- Bel Canto CD2 (also CD Pro2 based)
- Bel Canto CD3t (based on new Stream transport)

JemHadar 01-31-2014 03:10 AM

Don't know what your budget is...but one of the best and most elegant transports out there is the Weiss Jason...one caveat though it sits in the "cost no object" category. Another option is to go Server. Once I got the Weiss MAN301 my MCD1000 transport has been demoted to paper weight status collecting dust. Give it some thought to spend the budget, set aside for the transport, on a server. Emile aka -E- on AA can probably talk you through the options.

audio bill 01-31-2014 10:02 AM

One major feature that the PWT has is that it in addition to CDs it can play high resolution WAV files up to 24/192 that you burn to DVD. This allows you to play these files without having a PC or music server and it sounds great doing so. Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

JWJW 01-31-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio.bill (Post 575784)
One major feature that the PWT has is that it in addition to CDs it can play high resolution WAV files up to 24/192 that you burn to DVD. This allows you to play these files without having a PC or music server and it sounds great doing so. Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

Sweet! I like it. :yes:

Audio 1 01-31-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redm (Post 575746)
The pwd mark II paired with the pwt make a great combination and can be linked via the i2s port. :thumbsup:

I agree and the last firmware update they released took mine to another level.

antipop 01-31-2014 02:20 PM

PWT is an interesting concept and I've heard that it was well made though it can be noisy at the beginning since it has to read the CD at very high speed.

However, they haven't really had a lot of success because they didn't market it and the rise of servers is making this type of gear useless. They were overwhelmed by the success of the PWD and decided to focus on the DAC.

I thought about getting one (PWT) as the price was more than correct but I've gone completely digital with a mac mini and a NAS server. I don't own a CD player anymore. For the price of the PWT, you could build a nice server but you lose the plug-and-play aspect