AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Alexx concerns (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40985)

Kippyy 10-30-2017 06:26 PM

Alexx concerns

I upgraded from Alexia v1 to the Alexx a few months ago. Despite break in and professional alignment of drivers and positioning, I'm not really satisfied with the sound. In particular:
A- The bass is very subdued compared to the Alexias. Its there, but its very much in the background.
Even on Come Together, you can barely 'feel it' at loud volumes.

B-At volumes I like to listen, certain electric guitar leads, piano notes or vocals seem a bit harsh.
I wonder if this is just how realistic or accurate the speaker presents the recording but it doesnt seem as full-bodied a presentation as the Alexias. This quality makes me feel that I am too close to the speakers, and that I have to reduce the volume to tolerate the treble which reduces the visceral impact I’d like to get from listening.

Any counsel is appreciated.

PHC1 10-30-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kippyy (Post 876174)
I upgraded from Alexia v1 to the Alexx a few months ago. Despite break in and professional alignment of drivers and positioning, I'm not really satisfied with the sound. In particular:
A- The bass is very subdued compared to the Alexias. Its there, but its very much in the background.
Even on Come Together, you can barely 'feel it' at loud volumes.

B-At volumes I like to listen, certain electric guitar leads, piano notes or vocals seem a bit harsh.
I wonder if this is just how realistic or accurate the speaker presents the recording but it doesnt seem as full-bodied a presentation as the Alexias. This quality makes me feel that I am too close to the speakers, and that I have to reduce the volume to tolerate the treble which reduces the visceral impact I’d like to get from listening.

Any counsel is appreciated.

Did you only switch speakers or was there another upgrade involved. What are your room dimensions?

Kippyy 10-30-2017 06:59 PM

Good question.
The speakers were the only change.
My room is approx. 19 x 25 feet and open to the dining room with the ceiling up on the 2nd floor. Seating position is about 11.5 feet from one speaker, and 12.5 feet from the other speaker.

PHC1 10-30-2017 07:03 PM

The Alexx is quite tuneable. You have the tools to get the response you desire.

1. XLF (Cross-load Flow) Port System:
Alexx joins the Alexandria XLF with its ability to move the port to either the front or rear of the bass enclosure. While this does not change the anechoic behavior of Alexx in the deep bass, it does enable it to interface more seamlessly with a larger number of rooms. Typically, in bass-lossy rooms, the port will be located on the rear; within bass-heavy rooms, the port moves to the front of the enclosure.

2. The latest version of the Convergent Synergy Tweeter is deployed in the Alexx. Already robust in the lower part of its frequency spectrum, the Wilson tweeter in this configuration is crossed over slightly higher as a direct result of the concentric two-driver mid strategy.
The resistor plate, which contains the protection and tuning resistors, is now located on an upper bevel on the rear of the speaker enabling easy sight lines and access.

If you are not sure or comfortable doing the above, get your dealer to come back. After paying in the six figures for a pair of speakers, you should be ecstatic with your purchase. :yes:

vintage_tube 10-30-2017 07:11 PM

All points bulletin for BP --

Best Sir,

Bob

Kippyy 10-30-2017 07:18 PM

I should note that originally they were ported to the front and are now ported to the rear, but I hear little difference in bass output. My dealer has offered to visit again and see what adjustments can be made. I assumed with the larger bass cabinet that the Alexx would at least match the bass output of the Alexia. Was this an incorrect assumption?

Still-One 10-30-2017 07:21 PM

Here is my non scientific guess. Large woofers often need to be driven to higher levels before they move sufficiently to generate bass. You moved from a unit with 10" bass to one with 10.5" and 12". The smaller drivers probably sounded crisper and more dynamic a lower or normal volumes. Over the years I have found that small speakers with small woofers seemed like they were generating bass (or mid-bass) easily, but maybe not as accurate as larger speakers. My listening room does not allow bass to fully develop and is one reason I have considered moving into one of our larger rooms, but then it would not be dedicated for listening.

-E- 10-30-2017 07:30 PM

Bar,

Want me to swing on by one of these days and dial your rig in?

PHC1 10-30-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kippyy (Post 876191)
I should note that originally they were ported to the front and are now ported to the rear, but I hear little difference in bass output. My dealer has offered to visit again and see what adjustments can be made. I assumed with the larger bass cabinet that the Alexx would at least match the bass output of the Alexia. Was this an incorrect assumption?

Specs wise, yes, the Alexx should easily match Alexia. If that's not the case in your room, I would suspect that some further positioning and tweaking is in order.

As Jim pointed out above, to his ears the smaller woofers are sometimes more articulate and resolving with the lower octaves even if they don't reach as low and I would also agree on that point but at the same time, I would be very surprised if this is the case in Alexia vs Alexx. :scratch2:

Ritmo 10-30-2017 08:12 PM

I would ask your dealer for another visit to adjust the installation. This is a significant investment and your dealer needs to make sure you are satisfied.

Additionally, if you are not happy after your dealer's visit, I would contact Wilson. I'm sure they would go the extra mile to ensure you are satisfied.