AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Stillpoints under speakers - spikes or no spikes? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=31731)

John49 05-26-2015 02:09 AM

Stillpoints under speakers - spikes or no spikes?

I was prompted to post this after reading a general thread regarding spikes or no spikes elsewhere on the forum.

Of the members using Stillpoints under speakers, usually in place of the manufacturer's feet / spikes, who is using spikes as well and not just the standard Stillpoint? I am likely to, (finally!), be buying some new speakers soon and I am unsure which way to go. I don't have anything under my current speakers, just open frame steel stands, so no help there.

Masterlu 05-26-2015 09:51 AM

I replaced all my spiked feet with Stillpoints (no spikes) outstanding results!

chessman 05-26-2015 09:53 AM

Same - Stillpoints under speakers, but without spikes.

jbaudio68 05-26-2015 10:10 AM

Same here. No spikes. Just still points. Sounds great, no damage to floor/carpet and allows me to more easily move speakers.

AMR DP-777, VPI Classic 3, McIntosh C2500, 2301 (2), PMC IB2S (2), JL Audio f112 (2)

John49 05-26-2015 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbaudio68 (Post 702232)
Same here. No spikes. Just still points. Sounds great, no damage to floor/carpet and allows me to more easily move speakers. AMR DP-777, VPI Classic 3, McIntosh C2500, 2301 (2), PMC IB2S (2), JL Audio f112 (2)

Yes, I had realised that it would make moving the speakers much easier if there were no spikes. There must be SOME people using them though, otherwise Stillpoints would not have made them available.

AlienViolet 05-26-2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 702226)
I replaced all my spiked feet with Stillpoints (no spikes) outstanding results!

Hi Ivan,

Do you think stillpoints would be an upgrade over the Totem claws that I'm using with my Arro's. My concrete floor is covered with under pad & Burberry carpet.

Speaker is a bit wobbly due to the Totem's 3-claw arrangement (1 front, 2 at back). I wonder if 4 stillpoints would improve stability & sound?

Cheers,
Nick

Masterlu 05-26-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienViolet (Post 702309)
Hi Ivan,

Do you think stillpoints would be an upgrade over the Totem claws that I'm using with my Arro's. My concrete floor is covered with under pad & Burberry carpet.

Speaker is a bit wobbly due to the Totem's 3-claw arrangement (1 front, 2 at back). I wonder if 4 stillpoints would improve stability & sound?

Cheers,
Nick

Nick... I would say a big yes; every speaker that I have put them on has benefited dramaticaly.

bzr 05-30-2015 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 702239)
Yes, I had realised that it would make moving the speakers much easier if there were no spikes. There must be SOME people using them though, otherwise Stillpoints would not have made them available.

The original design was not for spikes. Why would any benefit be found after the fact?:thumbsup:

rnrmf1971 05-31-2015 04:00 PM

So if one is not using spikes, is the Ultra Base an improvement over none at all? I think most reviews have suggested that it is.

Since the Ultra SS is the same thread size on both ends, what is the most commonly preferred way to orient the Stillpoint on the speaker?

Masterlu 05-31-2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 703514)
So if one is not using spikes, is the Ultra Base an improvement over none at all? I think most reviews have suggested that it is.

Since the Ultra SS is the same thread size on both ends, what is the most commonly preferred way to orient the Stillpoint on the speaker?

Christian... The Ultra Base will further improve the benefits offered by the Ultra SS feet.

If not using the Ultra Base, use the proper threaded adapter between the speaker and Ultra SS. If you are using the Ultra Base reverse direction of the Ultra SS, and thread it into the Ultra Base. In this configuration the speaker will rest on the threaded hi-hats of the Ultra SS feet.

I use the latter on all my Subs achieving excellent results.