AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vinyl & Accessories (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Are we Nuts, or is it Just ME? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1714)

Still-One 07-27-2009 11:35 AM

Are we Nuts, or is it Just ME?

Last night I decided to try a find some albums to order. I started with the Elusivedisc site after trying to plod thru the Amazon site the day before. I went thru 231 pages with 20 albums per page. (Over 4600 discs) For the most part I couldn't find diddley squat. When I was done I had 4 albums in my shopping basket. For those for albums they wanted $112 before shipping. :yikes: The really bad part was I already owned 3 of the 4 on CD.

Now I saw maybe another 20 or so discs I considered but they were asking about $30 to $40 for those, and one was $59.

I am nervous about shopping for used discs for a assume they are going to be noisier than a new disc. I will have to give that a try though.

The people who are into vinyl must listen to Jazz or Classic Rock because there is not a great deal of newer music out there.
Jim

OneMalt 07-27-2009 11:55 AM

Jim,

Try Acoustic Sounds - SACD, DVD Audio, Vinyl Record, Audiophile equipment - Acoustic Sounds

They have a great selection. Quite a bit of new Indie stuff too.

MC352 07-27-2009 01:48 PM

We aren't nuts, and it's not you.

Heck there are people who spend $8000 on a 3 ft. power cord, so why not spend $30 or $40 on a LP you want.

I admit it sounds crazy to spend that on a hunk of vinyl, but speaking for myself, I bet I do it in the future, because I have in the past.

I have had great luck lately with used LP's. Give that a try.

1KW 07-27-2009 02:02 PM

First of all forget about buying expensive LP's it is not worth it, get the cd or sacd. I have purchased some new LP's such as Dave Matthews new double album for 18 bucks http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Big-...4871217/?pwb=2 (become a member at barnes and noble it is worth it) which is probably his best album and cold play. I buy many used LP's at Princeton Record exchange which is close to where I work; many are near mint for $1.99. Find a used record store near where you live and buy those ; you will be surprised that you can entertain yourself for a hour or two in a well stocked record shop and leave with some gems for next to nothing.

Basite 07-27-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillone (Post 29747)
I am nervous about shopping for used discs for a assume they are going to be noisier than a new disc. I will have to give that a try though.

The people who are into vinyl must listen to Jazz or Classic Rock because there is not a great deal of newer music out there.
Jim

True, new vinyl has the tendency to be "expensive", and to be honest, I've had more luck by buying secondhand than with new vinyl. I find original pressings to sound better than new re-issues, only in certain cases the new albums equalled or bettered the originals. If you buy secondhand, make sure there is a turntable set up in the shop where you go, so in case of doubt about the condition of the album, you can check it.

and there is quite some new music on vinyl too...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Still-One 07-27-2009 04:21 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. After having spent last evening on ElusiveDisc I was going to try both MusicDirect and Acoustic Sounds too.
It would be nice to have a couple of "Audiophile" LP"s just like I have a couple of "Audiophile" CD/SACD's. Understand though that is not what I listen to on a regular basis. I don't want to buy music that makes my system sound good, I prefer my system to sound good with whatever I buy. I will also start checking out some records shops too.
I will keep you posted.
Jim

KMC45 07-27-2009 04:26 PM

I'm voting nuts.

OneMalt 07-27-2009 04:55 PM

Jim,

I've bought a few of these "audiophile records" in the $35-$50 range. Mind you, not a ton but a few. There's nothing quite like opening a brand new 200g, 45 RPM album, cleaning it, cuing it and listening to those first few glorious notes drift out of your speakers while this big ol' shit-eating grin slowly grows on your face. It's just something else and worth every penny to me!:thumbsup:

1KW 07-27-2009 05:22 PM

I'm voting nuts too :D

Still-One 07-27-2009 05:50 PM

Are we talking Nuts on both the hardware and software side? :)