AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DACs for MACs? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43518)

nalthien 08-06-2018 11:46 PM

DACs for MACs?

My C1100 is set to arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to get it integrated into my system. I'm beginning to research a DAC to add to my setup. I plan to connect via USB to a dedicated PC that I built for handling streaming. My natural thought was the D1100 that pairs with the C1100; but, it feels overpriced for something to be used as a DAC only (if you're a digital only home, I think it makes great sense as a digital-only preamp).

At the moment I'm using a Parasound ZDac so I'm not in a huge hurry; but, I want to know what I should be looking at.

Some options I'm considering:
  1. The D1100 - Just because it's expensive doesn't make it the wrong choice
  2. The D150 - People loved this thing last I checked and it's the same DAC chip as the D1100 for a fraction of the price.
  3. Schitt Yggdrasil - I've read amazing things about this one!
  4. What else?

I'd long considered going with an Oppo BDP-205 and using its DAC. Oppo had a stellar reputation for long-term support. Now that's over.

I'm a mac guy and I'm happy to pay for McIntosh quality. That said, McIntosh has a less than stellar reputation for digital and some of their products in the space feel woefully overpriced for what they actually are (consider that the MS500 is basically a low-end PC in a McIntosh case).

What DACs are people using with their McIntosh gear? Something from my list? Something else? What drove you to that particular DAC?

McDaddy 08-06-2018 11:57 PM

The Yggy seems like the real deal from every review I’ve read. Dan (Jdandy) gave it a glowing review as well. The only downside is current production lead times are around 8 weeks right now. If I wasn’t so emotionally connected to having something Linn in my system that is what I would have.

nalthien 08-07-2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDaddy (Post 926047)
The Yggy seems like the real deal from every review I’ve read. Dan (Jdandy) gave it a glowing review as well. The only downside is current production lead times are around 8 weeks right now. If I wasn’t so emotionally connected to having something Linn in my system that is what I would have.

Dan's review was absolutely part of the the spark for me to even look outside of McIntosh for my DAC! But I've even heard great things about their lower-end DACs; Schitt seems like the real deal for digital across the board. :thumbsup:

jdandy 08-07-2018 12:54 AM

Brian.......I have owned McIntosh DAC's, specifically in the MCD500 and MCD1100, in fact I owned two of each model, one for the living room system and one for the studio system. I now own no McIntosh DAC's, although I remain a huge fan of McIntosh preamplifiers, amplifiers, and tuners. I replaced both MCD1100's with Esoteric K-03's, then replaced the K-03's with a K-01x that I use in the studio. In the living room system I now use the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (analog 2 version). It is a statement DAC in every sense that I don't see being replaced by anything. It plays extremely well in the living room system with my Simaudio MOON 260D transport, C2300 preamp and MC452 power amplifier.

The Yggdrasil DAC is sensational. The one thing to consider it is a PCM DAC and does not decode DSD. That doesn't concern me because I can play SACD's in the studio system with the Esoteric K-01x, but it is worth pointing out. The Yggy does PCM to 24Bit/192KHz, and makes every high-res file and CD I play through it sound like live performances. The $2399 price is astonishing for the level of performance it delivers. If the Yggdrasil DAC in its exact form was manufactured by MBL, Berkeley, Esoteric, or other ultra high-end DAC manufacturer the price point would be $12,000 or more. It is that good. Providing DSD is of no concern to you I can highly recommend the Yggdrasil DAC for your sound system. Don't let the price fool you. The Yggdrasil is a serious performer that will leave you speechless. I absolutely love the way mine sounds.

nalthien 08-07-2018 11:35 AM

Thanks, Dan! Your passion for the Yggdrasil certainly makes it an attractive option!

ejr1953 08-07-2018 12:57 PM

I have enjoyed a PS Audio DirectStream DAC, transport and P15 power regenerator, as well as a C2500/MC452 and find that combination "floats my boat". The PS Audio DAC is able to be improved with firmware updates; I have applied all of them since I bought the DAC and each and every one of them improves the sound quality.

kaarmstrong 08-07-2018 01:05 PM

I use the PS Audio DS DAC as well which I am very happy with. Ivan recommended it to me for my price range.

xv21 08-07-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nalthien (Post 926046)
My natural thought was the D1100 that pairs with the C1100; but, it feels overpriced for something to be used as a DAC only (if you're a digital only home, I think it makes great sense as a digital-only preamp).

The McIntosh D1100 is really good DAC. It meets the price fairly well. Better DACs are available, but they cost more. D1100 sounds really good with MCT450 CD/SACD transport. I haven't heard McIntosh D150, but I have read that C52 DAC is same than D150. D1100 DAC is better than C52 DAC.

Check also MSB Technology: http://www.msbtechnology.com. They make really good DACs and you can customize your system. You can upgrade your DAC later.

JBT 08-07-2018 01:44 PM

I"m using the D1100 and it's an great DAC. Expensive yes in todays DAC world, But amazing base, beautiful midrange, detailed and airy treble. With a huge soundstage.

Yamaki 08-07-2018 02:26 PM

I am using the McIntosh D100 and very much enjoy it.

The D150 did add DSD codec processing so it is a step up from the D100.

The D100 is used as a DAC only in my system.