PDA

View Full Version : ET5 question ...

joeinid
09-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Was there an update for the ET5 to remain at the last source selected or does it always revert back to the CD input? Mine reverts back to the CD input. Not a big deal, but I thought I read somewhere they fixed that. Was anything else done along with that update. Of course, I'll call Ed on Monday. Just wondering if anyone else is familiar with it.

Thanks!

Puma Cat
09-17-2011, 05:15 PM
My CT-5 does exactly the same thing. I had heard there was a "firmware" fix for this, but I don't know if it's true...

Rafale
09-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Joe, it's the same thing with the GAT....

turntable
09-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Really, WTF

Does it also go back to vol 20 or stay at the last volume?

The prem 16 and ART go back to the last source when you switch back on and last volume setting. Unless you pull the power plug out, it then goes to CD, vol 20.

joeinid
09-17-2011, 05:33 PM
I'll check it again. But I think it goes back to the last volume set and cd input on power up. Not 20 on volume. I'll report when I am positive.

Rafale
09-17-2011, 05:44 PM
GAT stays on the last volume setting

Rayooo
09-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Was there an update for the ET5 to remain at the last source selected or does it always revert back to the CD input? Mine reverts back to the CD input. Not a big deal, but I thought I read somewhere they fixed that. Was anything else done along with that update. Of course, I'll call Ed on Monday. Just wondering if anyone else is familiar with it.

Thanks!

both the ET3 and ET5 preamps "forgot" what input was selected when turned off. Call Ed at CJ he has a new chip for you. I installed the new firmware in both my ET3 and later in ET5. It works fine. ...added: in my case Ed just sent me the chip to replace, which does require removing the front panel dispaly/button PWA from inside the unit. If you're an electronics hacker by nature it's zero problem. If you would prefer to not be messing around innards of electronic gear, then you can send it back to CJ.

if AC is removed, then both input AND level go to default: 20-20 and CD input.

OBTW, yes, in both cases whether "old" or "new" firmware, volume level is remembered. Also, just for those rare occasions when you remove the AC power to the units. Once AC has been restored, upon the initial power up, the mute circuit seems to not work and IF you happen to have power amps on when you turn the ETX on, you'll get a nasty noise. beyond first power up after AC connected the muting works fine, so even if you happen to forget the sequence of power up/power down, no problem.

turntable
09-17-2011, 06:44 PM
That is good to see.

Worse is Audio Research. I had the new LS27 at home for a month. Every time you switched it off, then back on the volume would start at ZERO. PITA

Rayooo
09-17-2011, 06:53 PM
That is good to see.

Worse is Audio Research. I had the new LS27 at home for a month. Every time you switched it off, then back on the volume would start at ZERO. PITA

when I first got my et3, which was the first digitally controlled preamp I'd ever owned. I laughed long and hard that it could not remember what input was last selected.

A friend of mine years ago as we moved into replacing potentiometers and mechanical switches with "digital" control...always said: "the best way to remember a potentiometer setting or a switch position is by using a potentiometer or a switch, not a set of logic ICs." :nono: but of course the advantage of digital control outweigh the few minor issues. :D

Rayooo
09-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Joeinid,

Did you look into that new firmware for your ET-5?

joeinid
09-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Joeinid,

Did you look into that new firmware for your ET-5?

Not yet. Right now my main input is my MCD1100 so I'm not too worried. The pre is sounding very nice and will eventually call and take care of it.

turntable
10-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi Joe

I checked my new GAT and when switched off and on, it returns to previous volume setting and input.

Best option - upgrade to the GAT to get rid of that problem :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Joe, it's the same thing with the GAT....

Rafale, you need to get your importer to fix that problem.

joeinid
10-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Hi Joe

I checked my new GAT and when switched off and on, it returns to previous volume setting and input.

Best option - upgrade to the GAT to get rid of that problem :thumbsup: :beerchug:

That looks like the only viable solution. :D

:roflmao:

Rayooo
10-04-2011, 09:34 AM
That looks like the only viable solution. :D

:roflmao:

now if I could just convince my CFO (aka Wife) of such logic. :tears:

joeinid
10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
now if I could just convince my CFO (aka Wife) of such logic. :tears:

If you need any help from us, we are here for you :thumbsup: