PDA

View Full Version : Spinning the Rega going this morning

Puma Cat
09-17-2011, 03:50 PM
As I like to change things out a bit from time to time, and as I had the CT-5 back in the system, I hooked the Rega Planar 3 up to the phono stage and spun up some LPs...

This such a nice little table....it's sounds great even today; all the right stuff from a nice LP is there, the warmth and naturalness of LPs, tonality, tight well-defined bass, excellent detail and imaging. It's kind of like a "vintage" C-J PV12 preamp...not the last word in detail, speed, transparency or blackest of all possible blacks....but, it works. And like a C-J PV12, it just sounds right.

On deck today was Norah Jones' Live at Austin City Limits and the amazing Illinois Jacquet Swings the Thing LP. :music:

Jerome W
09-17-2011, 04:05 PM
As I like to change things out a bit from time to time, and as I had the CT-5 back in the system, I hooked the Rega Planar 3 up to the phono stage and spun up some LPs...

This such a nice little table....it's sounds great even today; all the right stuff from a nice LP is there, the warmth and naturalness of LPs, tonality, tight well-defined bass, excellent detail and imaging. It's kind of like a "vintage" C-J PV12 preamp...not the last word in detail, speed, transparency or blackest of all possible blacks....but, it works. And like a C-J PV12, it just sounds right.

On deck today was Norah Jones' Live at Austin City Limits and the amazing Illinois Jacquet Swings the Thing LP. :music:

Good to hear Stephen !
Yep ! Rega tables do make MUSIC !
My P9 is waiting for me at my dealer and I did not have time to pick it up yet but will go next thursday. Can't wait to get it.
BTW, this Norah Jones vinyl is a MUST :thumbsup: !

Puma Cat
09-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Jérôme, I am sooo envious of you getting a P9! I would love to have one of those; then get a nice moving coil for it...actually my Shelter 501 MKII is a GREAT matchup on the P9 (actually heard one on a P9).

Of course, I would put a GrooveTracer Reference subplatter on it.

We will want pics and impressions as soon as you get it setup and have a listen.

Jerome W
09-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Jérôme, I am sooo envious of you getting a P9! I would love to have one of those; then get a nice moving coil for it...actually my Shelter 501 MKII is a GREAT matchup on the P9 (actually heard one on a P9).

Of course, I would put a GrooveTracer Reference subplatter on it.

We will want pics and impressions as soon as you get it setup and have a listen.

Ok...ok...Stephen, I will "upgrade" it but before I want to see how it sounds out of the box.
BTW, tweeking REGA tables sounds a bit odd to me. They are simple tables, designed to make great music " as is ". I would also be a bit affraid to loose the typical REGA sound that I adore....
My plan is to use it with the Exact cart and see how it sounds. I would like to keep this set up warmer than the Clearaudio one, hence keep on it an MM cart and not an MC. Maybe upgrade to a Maestro later...
I agree that good MC carts are more detailed and "exact" sounding but MM have often a warmer and more forgiving sound.
How did you find the P9 sound compared to the Gyrodec with the Shelter cart ?

Puma Cat
09-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Jérôme,

I wasn't implying that you had to rush out and upgrade everything all at once! ;)

I've haven't compared the P9 with the Shelter directly against my Michell. I heard the P9/Shelter at somone else's place...but it was a great matchup.

The GrooveTracer Reference subplatter will not change any of the Rega's intrinsic qualities, it will just make the P9s instrinsic qualities even better.

FWIW, when I used my Shelter in my original configuration in my Michell, using the built-in Yoshino SUTs in my EAR834P, it was nice, but it couldn't hold a candle to my Koetsu Urushi Vermilion. There were some things missing from what I wanted. However, when I used my Shelter in the Michell with the Bob's Devices SUT that is required for the Koetsu, it improved DRAMATICALLY. While it is still not as good the Koetsu, it now can hold a candle to it.

f1 fan
09-17-2011, 05:50 PM

Stephen...sounds like you're having a good listening session. Rega's are hard to beat.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

f1 fan
09-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Good to hear Stephen !
Yep ! Rega tables do make MUSIC !
My P9 is waiting for me at my dealer and I did not have time to pick it up yet but will go next thursday. Can't wait to get it.
BTW, this Norah Jones vinyl is a MUST :thumbsup: !

Jerome...congrats my friend on a excellent 'table. Looking forward to your pix and listening impressions. You'll love the P9 & Exact combo.

Dave

Jerome W
09-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Jerome...congrats my friend on a excellent 'table. Looking forward to your pix and listening impressions. You'll love the P9 & Exact combo.

Dave

Thanks Dave !
Will do.

miner
09-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Jérôme,

I wasn't implying that you had to rush out and upgrade everything all at once! ;)

I've haven't compared the P9 with the Shelter directly against my Michell. I heard the P9/Shelter at somone else's place...but it was a great matchup.

The GrooveTracer Reference subplatter will not change any of the Rega's intrinsic qualities, it will just make the P9s instrinsic qualities even better.

FWIW, when I used my Shelter in my original configuration in my Michell, using the built-in Yoshino SUTs in my EAR834P, it was nice, but it couldn't hold a candle to my Koetsu Urushi Vermilion. There were some things missing from what I wanted. However, when I used my Shelter in the Michell with the Bob's Devices SUT that is required for the Koetsu, it improved DRAMATICALLY. While it is still not as good the Koetsu, it now can hold a candle to it.

I don't believe the subplatter will fit the P9. The P9 does not have a bearing in the spindle well. Just MHO

Jerome W
09-20-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't believe the subplatter will fit the P9. The P9 does not have a bearing in the spindle well. Just MHO

Actually, the P9 already has a metallic sub platter so the groove tracer probably won't change anything...