PDA

View Full Version : Et3se

jaxwired
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Great review of the ET3SE by Sam Tellig in stereophile this month. Makes me want to try one. Says it's the best CJ he's ever had in his house. Can it actually sound better than my new PV14LS2? Damn it!

joeinid
09-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Great review of the ET3SE by Sam Tellig in stereophile this month. Makes me want to try one. Says it's the best CJ he's ever had in his house. Can it actually sound better than my new PV14LS2? Damn it!

Hi Jax,

I haven't gotten my issue yet, but if it's anywhere near the ET5, you will love it. :banana:Sorry to say.

Joe

Puma Cat
09-11-2011, 07:32 PM

Some of Sam's comments have to taken in perspective, like when he last had a C-J preamp in his house.

I heard the "regular" ET3 when it first came out and I was impressed, it's a great sounding preamp, but then you have to bear in mind, all C-J preamps are great-sounding preamps. Like Honda building motorcycles, I don't think C-J can build a bad-sounding preamp. The differences between C-J preamps are a matter either of degree or taste (see below). When I asked both the C-J customer service rep at the factory and my local dealer if the ET3 was better than the Premier 17, and both, to a person, said, "No way". The reason I was given was the same from both sources: the ET3, while very good, was not as good as the Premier 17 and it couldn't because the Pr17 was built with a much higher degree of manufacturing specification than the ET3. I would expect the ET3SE to possibly be a bit better than a "regular" Pr17 in detail and transparency, but only because of it's Teflon caps, but I would not expect it to be better than a Premier 17 Series 2 or Premier 16 Series 2 (which really was a fantastic preamp). And I'm not sure I would prefer an ETSE to my Pr17 (again, see below). For example, an ETSE sells for $4k. Right now, there is a Series 2 Premier 16 preamp for sale for $3300 on Audigon. If it were me, I'd buy the Premer 16 LS 2 over the ET3SE in a heartbeat and put the $700 saved into music or some good power cords.

I would guess it's better than the PV14 Series 2, but probably not by very much, and only you can decide by personal auditioning if it's better and if so, is it worth the difference in cost?

Mind you, this coming from someone who has both a CT-5 and a Premier 17 and prefers the Premier 17. And keep in mind that the CT-5 received incredible reviews virtually everywhere. Does this mean the CT-5 is not a good preamp? Absolutely not. Some feel it's one of the best preamps ever made. Jeff Whitlock, for example, really preferred it to my Pr 17. Personally, I prefer the Pr17 because while not as transparent, quiet, detailed, or as fast, the Pr17 sounds more like music (to me, anyway).

It''s the job of the editors to review components and describe their characteristics in such a way to inform you that it might resonate with your own sensibilities. The truth is, it might or it might not. Both Turntable and I have owned both 6922 and 6H30 based C-J preamps and prefer C-J's 6922-based preamps. Others, like Jeff Whitlock or Jeff Dorgay prefer the 6H30 preamps, the ACT or CT-5.

What this means at the end of the day is you have to take what editors say with a grain of salt and audition for yourself.

Rayooo
09-11-2011, 08:19 PM
So just out of curiosity, myself being a relatively new CJ person...How has CJ going to the FET outputs now on more recent designs, affected the "CJ Sound" now vs the past.

In my case, I was typically a bit leery of preamps with "higherish" output impedance.
I am sure there is far more to it than this of course.

I have not seen the article, but I would like to here Mr. Tellig's reasoning why he states the ET3SE being better than other/older CJ preamps. I could surely understand him stating they are different.

jimtranr
09-11-2011, 08:26 PM

After years (more, I suspect, than at least a few people here have even been around, and including a couple working high-end retail itself) of chasing the "holy grail" (at far more dollars than I ever want to think about), I think a more productive, to say nothing of less vexing, question to ponder would be: How would a c-j amp--and with it my overall musical enjoyment--fare with my new PV14LS?

You already have what looks, and no doubt sounds, like a great listening setup. My gut feeling is that you'll get more bang for whatever additional bucks you might think of expending by investing them in a c-j amp for that last dollop of system synergy that I suspect will, given your apparent early satsifaction with the 14, elevate your system's perceived performance to a new level of enjoyment.

Since it's based on a gut feeling, I don't pretend that this unsolicited comment is sage advice. And because it's free, it might well be worth what (or for that matter less than) you paid for it. Nonetheless, having been there and done that--namely, succumbing to at least the temptation of buyer's remorse after reading a review of the "new and improved"--more than once to my regret, I toss it out for whatever you think it might be worth.

Stephen, BTW, is on target with respect to the context of Sam Tellig's remarks. I think it's been a while since he's actually seriously sampled c-j offerings prior to the ET3SE.

Jim

Puma Cat
09-11-2011, 09:03 PM
After years (more, I suspect, than at least a few people here have even been around, and including a couple working high-end retail itself) of chasing the "holy grail" (at far more dollars than I ever want to think about), I think a more productive, to say nothing of less vexing, question to ponder would be: How would a c-j amp--and with it my overall musical enjoyment--fare with my new PV14LS?

You already have what looks, and no doubt sounds, like a great listening setup. My gut feeling is that you'll get more bang for whatever additional bucks you might think of expending by investing them in a c-j amp for that last dollop of system synergy that I suspect will, given your apparent early satsifaction with the 14, elevate your system's perceived performance to a new level of enjoyment.

Excellent post I completely agree that I would explore the synergy that can be had by using a C-J amp with your PV14 LS2 than second-guessing whether or not the ET3SE is a better preamp than the PV14 LS2.

The truth is, you can ALWAYS get a better-sounding preamp by going up the engineering specification ladder, to a Premier 16LS2, an ET-5 or even a GAT.

But Jim really hit the nail on the head when he posted: "How would a c-j amp--and with it my overall musical enjoyment--fare with my new PV14LS?" is really the important question here; would you actually have a more engaging musical experience by doing that rather than exploring the synergy you could obtain by getting an MF2500 or ET250S or even an LP70S amp instead of spending $4K on an ET3SE?

My CT-5 is a beautiful sounding preamp...super clean, super-detailed, fast, transparent, all that good "audiophile" stuff.

But I personally find my Premier 17 provides a more engaging musical experience than the CT-5 does, for me, anyway.

turntable
09-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I am sure the ET3se sounds very good, but do not take his opinion for anything except an advatorial. however it is a typical lazy Sam Telling review. almost a rehash of a couple of previous cj reviews.

joeinid
09-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Excellent post I completely agree that I would explore the synergy that can be had by using a C-J amp with your PV14 LS2 than second-guessing whether or not the ET3SE is a better preamp than the PV14 LS2.

The truth is, you can ALWAYS get a better-sounding preamp by going up the engineering specification ladder, to a Premier 16LS2, an ET-5 or even a GAT.

But Jim really hit the nail on the head when he posted: "How would a c-j amp--and with it my overall musical enjoyment--fare with my new PV14LS?" is really the important question here; would you actually have a more engaging musical experience by doing that rather than exploring the synergy you could obtain by getting an MF2500 or ET250S or even an LP70S amp instead of spending $4K on an ET3SE?

My CT-5 is a beautiful sounding preamp...super clean, super-detailed, fast, transparent, all that good "audiophile" stuff.

But I personally find my Premier 17 provides a more engaging musical experience than the CT-5 does, for me, anyway.

That question hit me, or struck a chord :D, for what I'm going through now. Would a C-J amp provide more enjoyment with my ET5 than my MC601's? I suspect it would and am exploring that possibility now. :music:

Puma Cat
09-11-2011, 10:03 PM
That question hit me, or struck a chord :D, for what I'm going through now. Would a C-J amp provide more enjoyment with my ET5 than my MC601's?

Probably. :D

joeinid
09-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Probably. :D

Ha! I think I meant that rhetorically :D So yes, a C-J amp is in my future :music:

Puma Cat
09-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Hee hee! I was exhibiting a little dry humor. Or is that droll humor? :D

joeinid
09-12-2011, 02:50 AM

:laughin:

Rafale
09-12-2011, 10:52 AM
ET3 was awarded preamplifier of the year 2010 in HIFI+

''It also marks a true return to form for the company, having reintroduced the lush, refined and musically glorious sound that marked out conrad-johnson preamps years ago. And yet it does this without the sound seem too lush or so sweet as to make the sound sacharrine. It's natural rather than neutral and that seems to a deliberate effort to make the pre more likeable and listenable than most. Especially when faced with current musical efforts, the ET3 manages to make the best out of some of the worst recording around.
In hi-fi terms, it's got one of the best soundstages around for the money, with a wonderful sense of dynamic range and an uncanny ability to draw you into the music.''
HIFI+ issue 75, Alan sircom

boys CJ is back in town :thumbsup:

joeinid
09-12-2011, 10:56 AM

''It also marks a true return to form for the company, having reintroduced the lush, refined and musically glorious sound that marked out conrad-johnson preamps years ago. And yet it does this without the sound seem too lush or so sweet as to make the sound sacharrine. It's natural rather than neutral and that seems to a deliberate effort to make the pre more likeable and listenable than most. Especially when faced with current musical efforts, the ET3 manages to make the best out of some of the worst recording around.
In hi-fi terms, it's got one of the best soundstages around for the money, with a wonderful sense of dynamic range and an uncanny ability to draw you into the music.''

:yahoo: :wine:

Puma Cat
09-12-2011, 11:01 AM

Great news! Congrats to C-J.

Rafale
09-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Note, please, that it is about ET3 and not SE

Rafale
09-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Now review of the ET3SE phono by Steve Harris Hi-Fi News May 2011
Sound Quality : 85/100 ( AR anniversary Edition Ref : 89/100 by KK in April 20011 issue)

'my listening started vinyl using the Benz Micro SL in the SME10 turntable. Though it's mono the 1955 jazz classic Dinah Jams seemed as good a way to warm up a system as any. Recorded with an invited audience, this was an attempt to capture the excitment of a live session with studio sound quality. With the ET3SE, the sound was smooth yet flowing and detailed and it really drew me in.
Switching from the ET3SE's own phono stage to the always-pleasing Acoustic Signature Tango gave a relatively flattened and laid-back perspective, or rather less mono stage depth. I felt that the ET3SE's phono stage gave more details, more feeling of a real event, even though of course you were still listening down a mono ''tube'' rather to a real stereo spread. Many valve products give a mono image rendition that is worryingly vague, but is not the case with the ET3SE preamp.
...With Christine Collister's 2005 "Rega project' album Love the ET3SE really projected the darkly-rich almost cloudy texture of this singer's distinctive voice, and it was nicely revealing of the different production sound achieved on different tracks. It made you appreciate the versatile musicianship of Gary Bennett, from his wistful-clunky banjo on 'Time in a A bottle' to his lovely yearning electric guitar line in 'i've got you under my skin'.....
With Famous Blue Raincot i felt that Jennifer Warnes's amazing voice was equally well served, with that magical combination of sweetness and commanding presence well conveyed and again with never a hint of hardness or edge.
The title track now seemed a particularly fabulous vocal performance, while Paul Ostermayer's definitive sax was free of stridency that's often heard on the CD version.....

Puma Cat
09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Yes, I've heard the ET3SE and ET3 have a terrific phono stage.

Rafale
09-12-2011, 07:10 PM

I shall be less stupid.....:umm::umm: If somebody can explain me the joke :scratch2:...

joeinid
09-12-2011, 07:41 PM
I shall be less stupid.....:umm::umm: If somebody can explain me the joke :scratch2:...

I think he meant drool humor, as in :drool:. I am salivating for a C-J amp.

:D

jaxwired
09-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Stereophile Class A rating for this preamp. Impressive for a $4K preamp.

Rafale
09-24-2011, 10:06 AM
:thumbsup:
the current c-j preamplifier range is awesome:music:

Puma Cat
09-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Not at all surprising; I don't think C-J is capable of making anything but a truly excellent preamp these days.
The "base" model ET3 is a helluva good-sounding preamp, too.

The other nice thing about the ET3 series is you can get them with a truly superb phono stage as well. An ET3SE with a phono stage for $5500 is a screamin' deal when you consider you're getting the equivalent of a $2500 phono stage along with a Class A preamp.

I would agree with Philippe's comments, but add to that that the entire range of CJ preamps from the ART onwards have been awesome. The Premier series based on the ART design, the Pr16/17s, both Series 1 and 2, were superb and garnered Class A ratings when they debuted, and are still fantastic preamps to this day. The Pr17 was a "baby" ART, and the Premier 16 was an ART, except in a stereo rather than dual-mono chassis.
They still command very respectable prices and are much in demand. The average time a Pr17 lasts when it goes on sale at Audigon is about 1 day.
I believe Turntable had a Premier 16 LS Series 2 and said it was a fantastic preamp, and from having lived with my Pr17 now for over a year, I would believe him.

Basically, anything from the first series of pres with remotes (the PV14) have been really impressive. My local C-J dealer was also really impressed with the PV15, and said they sold a LOT of them, especially the ones with the built-in phono stage. The fact that you can have C-J add Teflon caps to everything from the PV12 preamp onwards means you can keep your C-J pre sounding and performing with amongst the best preamps currently available today (probably better than many, in fact).

jaxwired
09-24-2011, 01:18 PM
The fact that you can have C-J add Teflon caps to everything from the PV12 preamp onwards means you can keep your C-J pre sounding and performing with amongst the best preamps currently available today (probably better than many, in fact).

I can have CJ add the teflon caps to my PV14ls2 for $800. Should I go that direction or trade up to an ET3se?

Rafale
09-24-2011, 02:17 PM
ET3SE ......Jax.... it plays in another league

Rafale
09-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Not at all surprising; I don't think C-J is capable of making anything but a truly excellent preamp these days.
The "base" model ET3 is a helluva good-sounding preamp, too.

The other nice thing about the ET3 series is you can get them with a truly superb phono stage as well. An ET3SE with a phono stage for $5500 is a screamin' deal when you consider you're getting the equivalent of a $2500 phono stage along with a Class A preamp.

I would agree with Philippe's comments, but add to that that the entire range of CJ preamps from the ART onwards have been awesome. The Premier series based on the ART design, the Pr16/17s, both Series 1 and 2, were superb and garnered Class A ratings when they debuted, and are still fantastic preamps to this day. The Pr17 was a "baby" ART, and the Premier 16 was an ART, except in a stereo rather than dual-mono chassis.
They still command very respectable prices and are much in demand. The average time a Pr17 lasts when it goes on sale at Audigon is about 1 day.
I believe Turntable had a Premier 16 LS Series 2 and said it was a fantastic preamp, and from having lived with my Pr17 now for over a year, I would believe him.

Basically, anything from the first series of pres with remotes (the PV14) have been really impressive. My local C-J dealer was also really impressed with the PV15, and said they sold a LOT of them, especially the ones with the built-in phono stage. The fact that you can have C-J add Teflon caps to everything from the PV12 preamp onwards means you can keep your C-J pre sounding and performing with amongst the best preamps currently available today (probably better than many, in fact).

excellent post Stephen:thumbsup:

Rafale
09-24-2011, 05:44 PM
To reach this quality level with a limited number of tubes, and with easily accessible tubes is a truly awesome performance, thank you Mr Conrad, thank you Mr Johnson, hats off:thumbsup:

Puma Cat
09-24-2011, 06:15 PM
I can have CJ add the teflon caps to my PV14ls2 for $800. Should I go that direction or trade up to an ET3se?

So, I've thought about this, Jax, and there's a coupla of directions you can go. Here are some options for consideration.

Option 1) Upgrade the PV14 to Series 2, cost $600. Upgrade to Teflon caps: $800...total cost: $1400. Your total investment: approx $2800.

Option 2) Get an ET3SE; cost $4000.

Option 3) Cool your jets and live with your PV14 until a Premier 17LS Series 2 (aka LS2) comes along. A Pr17 LS2 is very likely to be better than an ET3SE as the Pr17 Series 1 is better preamp than a base ET3, and the only difference between the Series 2 Premier 17 and the SE version of the ET3 is installing Teflon caps. The nice thing is that Premier 17LS2s sell for about $2800-$3000, still quite a bit less than four grand for an ET3SE.

Option 4: Look for a used CT-5; they typically sell for a few hundred dollars (median used price: $4500) more than a new ET3SE and the CT-5 is in a completely different league than an ET3, SE or no.

If it were me, I'd choose option 3 cool, my jets, and wait for a Pr17 Series 2 to come along. In fact, that's what I'm planning on doing as soon as I get my CT-5 sold.

jaxwired
09-24-2011, 06:31 PM
So, I've thought about this, Jax, and there's a coupla of directions you can go. Here are some options for consideration.

Option 1) Upgrade the PV14 to Series 2, cost $600. Upgrade to Teflon caps: $800...total cost: $1400. Your total investment: approx $2800.

Option 2) Get an ET3SE; cost $4000.

Option 3) Cool your jets and live with your PV14 until a Premier 17LS Series 2 (aka LS2) comes along. A Pr17 LS2 is very likely to be better than an ET3SE as the Pr17 Series 1 is better preamp than a base ET3, and the only difference between the Series 2 Premier 17 and the SE version of the ET3 is installing Teflon caps. The nice thing is that Premier 17LS2s sell for about $2800-$3000, still quite a bit less than four grand for an ET3SE.

Option 4: Look for a used CT-5; they typically sell for a few hundred dollars (median used price: $4500) more than a new ET3SE and the CT-5 is in a completely different league than an ET3, SE or no.

If it were me, I'd choose option 3 cool, my jets, and wait for a Pr17 Series 2 to come along. In fact, that's what I'm planning on doing as soon as I get my CT-5 sold.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Appreciate it!

One note, regarding option 1, my PV14 is already a series 2 so I would only need to pay the $800 for the teflon caps.

Have to think on all this a bit. Not hard to "cool my jets" as I'm really happy with my system right now...

Puma Cat
09-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice. Appreciate it!

One note, regarding option 1, my PV14 is already a series 2 so I would only need to pay the $800 for the teflon caps.

Have to think on all this a bit. Not hard to "cool my jets" as I'm really happy with my system right now...

Hi Jax,
Sorry, I forgot you had an LS2...in that case, the $800 upgrade would be the cheapest route, and I expect would get your PV14 S2 to very close to or as good as ET3SE levels of performance. That would be your biggest bang for the buck. The only downside is the Teflon cap burn-in times...but you already know about that.

If you're really happy right now, I'd call it a day and just relax and listen to music and wait for that special Pr17LS2 to come along...that's what I'm doing...

Rafale
09-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Jax, also consider ET2 Alan Sircom in his ET2+LP66s review stated : ''The ET2 sounds not far off the performance of the CT5, like four-firths of the performance for about half the money-and the CT5 is one of the jewels in the c-j crown.''

Rafale
09-24-2011, 07:00 PM
http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-tech-guide/files/HiFi59-conrad_johnson_ET2_and_LP66S.jpg

noel
10-07-2011, 04:48 AM
I have had the 10AL pre amp for more 10 years and theres nothing wrong with it at this moment.
Since Condrad Johnson has come out with some new pre amps like ET3se and a few others i just wondered if anyone has heard this model and feel that the performance is extremely better than my humble model and worth the purchase.
Thanks for sharing your views.

Puma Cat
10-07-2011, 02:36 PM
The current line of C-J preamps are great, including the ET3 and ET3SE and would be quite a bit better than your PV10. I went from a PV12 to a more current model, and the difference was notable. Something else to consider is buying used in the Premier line, the Premier 17LS and Premier 16LS. The PV14 and PV15 are excellent, too. These are great preamps to this day. The Pr17, for example, still outperforms the ET3.

jwhite613
10-07-2011, 02:40 PM
noel, Welcome to AA!!!

:welcome2.:

joeinid
10-07-2011, 02:43 PM
noel, Welcome to AA!!!

Hi Noel,

Welcome aboard!

Joe

Puma Cat
10-07-2011, 02:44 PM
http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-tech-guide/files/HiFi59-conrad_johnson_ET2_and_LP66S.jpg

I've been really curious about the ET2...did it use 6922s or 6H30s?

Rafale
10-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I've been really curious about the ET2...did it use 6922s or 6H30s?

Hi Stephen ......M8080x2

Puma Cat
10-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks, Philippe...I wonder how those tubes sound, I've never heard them.

ronenash
10-07-2011, 11:49 PM

I did not test them alone but my LP125M sounds great with them as the voltage gain tube.

Puma Cat
10-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks, Ron! Doesn't suprise me, I don't think C-J could make an unmusical component if they wanted to...

noel
10-08-2011, 04:38 AM
How much more is the sonic and performance difference between the ET3 and the SE version.
Is it worth a few thousands more. Sincerly would i really hear a big jump as the SE is very costly in my country.
The older models are unable to come by.Presently i am listening to the PV10AL and vinyl is my only interest.
Thanks for sharing

Rafale
10-08-2011, 01:54 PM

https://www.tubeworld.com/cv40581958.jpg

I have had 2 c-j preamp ie PV15 and ET2 with stock Mullard 8080 NOS, both were very very good as regards their price and they relit my flame after 10 years spent to use a PV10+ MV55 combo, it is the transparency and the quality of the medium without any drought, what struck me as well was the improvement of bottom of the spectre, while keeping the harmonics and fruity timbral character. With the PV14 and the PV15 imo cj took a new direction towards more transparency, dynamics and speed.

skroudo
10-20-2011, 08:09 PM
I received my ET3 preamp today, hopping that my Classic 60 SE Pawer amp Will be here next week, can't wait!!!!

joeinid
10-21-2011, 12:19 AM
I received my ET3 preamp today, hopping that my Classic 60 SE Pawer amp Will be here next week, can't wait!!!!

Congratulations skroudo,

Welcome to the forum. Please post some photos when you are all setup. Good choice on amp and preamp.

Joe

chessman
10-21-2011, 12:37 AM
skroudo, welcome aboard and congrats on the ET3! :wave:

Puma Cat
10-21-2011, 02:19 AM

Skroudo, welcome and congrats on the new C-J gear. It should sound great! Please post your impressions here when you get things set up.

Rafale
10-21-2011, 03:25 PM

Skroudo ....:welcome2.: to the cj clubhouse

jimtranr
10-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Welcome, skroudo. Will be interested to hear your take on the ET3/Classic 60SE combination.

skroudo
10-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanx to all.

Definitely I will post pictures when setup is done :)

skroudo
10-25-2011, 09:00 PM
I received my CJ Classic 60 SE and my CJ ET3 preamp and I'm in heavens OMG what a deferent from my solid Exposure 2010S2!
I AM ALL TUBES NOW :)

Sorry cant attach pic don't have privileges :(

skroudo
10-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Guys do I need to change the speakers phase on my Classic 60 amp????

ronenash
10-25-2011, 11:23 PM
You do. Because the ET3 inverts phase. The Classic 60SE is phase correct and when used with another preamp that does not invert phase there is no need to change the speaker wires phase.

skroudo
10-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Can any one explain to me why I can not attach pictures ????

Puma Cat
10-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Can any one explain to me why I can not attach pictures ????

You have to be a subscriber to attach pictures.

skroudo
10-28-2011, 11:39 PM
You have to be a subscriber to attach pictures.

I'm subscribe to this thread !

Puma Cat
10-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Sorry, you have to subscribe as a member of Audio Aficionado to be able to post pictures. Note the red subsriber logo below my handle. Subscription is $25 year and well worth it with membership advantages, and discounts on certain product purchases from our host, Ivan.

skroudo
10-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Sorry, you have to subscribe as a member of Audio Aficionado to be able to post pictures. Note the red subsriber logo below my handle. Subscription is $25 year and well worth it with membership advantages, and discounts on certain product purchases from our host, Ivan.

Thanx, didn't know, first thing tomorrow I will subscribe!!

chessman
10-29-2011, 12:15 AM
skroudo, here you go

http://www.audioaficionado.org/become-aa-subscriber/135-thank-you-becoming-subscriber.html

I think it works even this late. ;)

skroudo
10-29-2011, 04:26 PM
skroudo, here you go

http://www.audioaficionado.org/become-aa-subscriber/135-thank-you-becoming-subscriber.html

I think it works even this late. ;)

Just subscribed :) :)

Puma Cat
10-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Congrats!

skroudo
10-29-2011, 05:50 PM
My new CJ ET3 and my wonderful Classic 60 SE :)

Rafale
10-29-2011, 05:54 PM
My new CJ ET3 and my wonderful Classic 60 SE :)

great, congrats:thumbsup::tresbon:

joeinid
10-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Congrats!! Wow! Looks great. Let us know how they sound. I REALLY like that amp. Have fun!

skroudo
10-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Congrats!! Wow! Looks great. Let us know how they sound. I REALLY like that amp. Have fun!

Thanx.

chessman
10-29-2011, 08:49 PM
skroudo, thanks for supporting the board and congrats on some cool gear!

skroudo
11-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Guys I have a weak humming noise coming out of my speakers when only my amp is on, any ideas ?

joeinid
11-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Guys I have a weak humming noise coming out of my speakers when only my amp is on, any ideas ?

Hi,

Is the preamp on also? If not, it should be. Never have only the amp on because if you power on the preamp, you could get transients and blow your speakers. Also, there is something with the impedance where the amp alone should not be on. If the preamp and amp are on and you still have a hum, try a cheater plug on either and see if the hum goes away. If it does, then a ground loop exists.

Joe

skroudo
11-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi,

Is the preamp on also? If not, it should be. Never have only the amp on because if you power on the preamp, you could get transients and blow your speakers. Also, there is something with the impedance where the amp alone should not be on. If the preamp and amp are on and you still have a hum, try a cheater plug on either and see if the hum goes away. If it does, then a ground loop exists.

Joe

Thank you, I will try the cheater plug.

joeinid
11-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Thank you, I will try the cheater plug.

Good Luck! I had a Rogue amp that sounded great but was more sensitive to ground loop problems. Also, if the volume of the hum does not change, it's probably a ground loop.

So, how do they sound?

:music:

skroudo
11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi,

Joe

I hear the humming with the preamp and the amp on.

Do I need to turn on the preamp before the Poweramp?

skroudo
11-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Good Luck! I had a Rogue amp that sounded great but was more sensitive to ground loop problems. Also, if the volume of the hum does not change, it's probably a ground loop.

So, how do they sound?

They sound heavenly comparing to my Exposure 2010S2 :) :) :)

joeinid
11-01-2011, 10:35 PM
They sound heavenly comparing to my Exposure 2010S2 :) :) :)

I am glad you are happy! I am sure they will get better as you get more time on them. You will be so happy you will :tears: tears of joy. :D

skroudo
11-01-2011, 10:40 PM

I am glad you are happy! I am sure they will get better as you get more time on them. You will be so happy you will :tears: tears of joy. :D

Can't wait to tears out of joy I CAN'T WAIT, I'm listening to my system every night and feel like I hit the jackpot :)

skroudo
11-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi,

Joe

I got a cheater plug from a friend today and the humming is gone, the speakers are dead quite!
Thank you Joe.

joeinid
11-02-2011, 09:29 PM
I got a cheater plug from a friend today and the humming is gone, the speakers are dead quite!
Thank you Joe.

skroudo,

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

I am very happy that it worked! Enjoy. I am lusting after your amp. Please give updates when possible.

skroudo
11-02-2011, 10:22 PM
skroudo,

I am very happy that it worked! Enjoy. I am lusting after your amp. Please give updates when possible.

The CJ sound better and better from one day to the next day, today I listened to Muddy Waters folk singer (super audio cd) and I can tell this is a deferent level of sound from my old system, I can hear every little string vibration to how deep the singer voice can go, the bass is unbelievable and it's all in warm and easy listening way, you can listen to the system for hours with out getting tired.

repman
11-03-2011, 01:25 PM
The CJ sound better and better from one day to the next day, today I listened to Muddy Waters folk singer (super audio cd) and I can tell this is a deferent level of sound from my old system, I can hear every little string vibration to how deep the singer voice can go, the bass is unbelievable and it's all in warm and easy listening way, you can listen to the system for hours with out getting tired.

Great album.

I am glad you are experiencing the sound of CJ gear, its really special.

Puma Cat
11-03-2011, 11:32 PM
skroudo,

So, how is the MV60 working out?

joeinid
11-03-2011, 11:50 PM
So, how is the MV60 working out?

Hi Stephen,

It sounds sweet, and more awesome after being on for a couple of hours. I wish it was in a little better shape and I probably should have just pulled the trigger on the Classic Sixty or SE version from Spearit. I really like it and makes me wonder how going up the line sounds :D. I'm waiting to read some updates on Philippe's ET250S. I'd like to find a deal on one in pristine shape somewhere, if possible or maybe new next year.

Joe

Puma Cat
11-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Hi Stephen,

It sounds sweet, and more awesome after being on for a couple of hours. I wish it was in a little better shape and I probably should have just pulled the trigger on the Classic Sixty or SE version from Spearit. I really like it and makes me wonder how going up the line sounds :D. I'm waiting to read some updates on Philippe's ET250S. I'd like to find a deal on one in pristine shape somewhere, if possible or maybe new next year.

Joe

Going up the line just gets you the same, only more. More sweetness,detail, speed, transparency. The ET250S will be more transparent, but more neutral than the MV60. You might also want to think about an LP70S as well.

joeinid
11-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Going up the line just gets you the same, only more. More sweetness,detail, speed, transparency. The ET250S will be more transparent, but more neutral than the MV60. You might also want to think about an LP70S as well.

I'll have to check out the LP70S. I'm sure I'll have a few questions for you.

Puma Cat
11-04-2011, 02:04 AM
It's one sweet amp....

skroudo
12-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Hi guys,

I think I'm in the 200 hours of my ET3 and the Classic 60 SE, I enjoy my system every day, so here is a video of my system ( I recorded it with my iPhone, hope the quality of the sound is good )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqcbnO6Qh0U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

joeinid
12-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Wow! That was neat. Sounded very nice through the phone. How often do you check your bias on the Classic Sixty SE?

skroudo
12-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Wow! That was neat. Sounded very nice through the phone. How often do you check your bias on the Classic Sixty SE?

From time to time, I adjust the bias only twice in the first two weeks.

joeinid
12-29-2011, 12:56 AM
There is something special about Conrad Johnson :)

skroudo
12-29-2011, 01:08 AM
There is something special about Conrad Johnson :)

Yes there is !!!!!!!

ronenash
12-29-2011, 01:38 AM

In most cases you need to re-adjust bias once or twice in the first 100 hours and then it stays stable until the output tube start to degrade around 3000 hours.

Puma Cat
12-29-2011, 01:40 AM
For those of you interested in what my system "kinda" sounds like, you can download this recording I made "in room" from the speakers and my two stereo mikes earlier this week. It's in Dropbox. It's an AIFF file, so you'll have to use Itunes or convert to FLAC with Max or XLD or your app of preference.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31426499/Las%20Vegas%20Blues.aiff

skroudo
12-29-2011, 01:48 AM
For those of you interested in what my system "kinda" sounds like, you can download this recording I made "in room" from the speakers and my two stereo mikes earlier this week. It's in Dropbox. It's an AIFF file, so you'll have to use Itunes or convert to FLAC with Max or XLD or your app of preference.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31426499/Las%20Vegas%20Blues.aiff

It's sound unbelievable, nice recording.

Puma Cat
12-29-2011, 02:03 AM
You downloaded it already??? That was fast...

skroudo
12-29-2011, 02:04 AM
You downloaded it already??? That was fast...

I did it with my iPhone work like a dream :)

Puma Cat
12-29-2011, 02:12 AM
Interesting...

joeinid
12-29-2011, 02:14 AM
It's sound unbelievable, nice recording.

Very cool Stephen! I like it very much. :thumbsup:

joeinid
12-29-2011, 02:15 AM
In most cases you need to re-adjust bias once or twice in the first 100 hours and then it stays stable until the output tube start to degrade around 3000 hours.

Thanks!

Puma Cat
12-29-2011, 02:20 AM

Very cool Stephen! I like it very much. :thumbsup:

It seems to have turned out okay for a second attempt. It was recorded in 16/44 with a $99 M-Audio USB mike preamp and a coupla cheap $99 CAD condenser mikes by someone who has virtually no clue what they are doing. :scratch2:

Rafale
02-23-2012, 05:32 PM
ET3SE / Classic Sixty SE review by A.Sircom, HIFI+ last issue:

A good preamp is all about matching gain structures between sources and
power amps. That can make or break a system and even those CD player
makers who claim their products don’t need a preamp often sound better with
a world-class preamp in the chain. The key words there were ‘world-class’.
They are hard to come by. Price does not automatically confer ‘world-class’
status, but generally those best-ever preamps become more and more rare
as the price drops. So, it’s refreshing to find a truly world-class preamp in the
ET3 SE. And a perfect partner in the Classic Sixty SE.
They have a richness of tone that isn’t thick or stodgy, but instead give music shape, texture and body. Vocals project forward out of the mix with excellent articulation and a sense of solidity that makes you envisage a living, breathing human being standing in front of you. It makes listening to broken-voiced torchsong singers like Amy Winehouse or Billie Holiday almost impossible; you aren’t in there with the mix, you are sharing their pain.
:thumbsup::music:

joeinid
02-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks Philippe,

That is a great review. :) Thanks for posting.

FashionBoy
02-23-2012, 06:11 PM
It seems to have turned out okay for a second attempt. It was recorded in 16/44 with a $99 M-Audio USB mike preamp and a coupla cheap $99 CAD condenser mikes by someone who has virtually no clue what they are doing. :scratch2:

Just listened... sounds amazing. Is this the Gyro or Rega playing?

Rafale
02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks Philippe,

That is a great review. :) Thanks for posting.

My pleasure Joe ....btw he wait is not too difficult ?

joeinid
02-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Philippe,

The wait is always difficult. :icon_thumbsdown:

Rafale
02-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Philippe,

The wait is always difficult. :icon_thumbsdown:

I see.....so buy to yourself a nice Tivoli :D

Rafale
03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
ET3SE and Classic Sixty SE review HIFI + : :banana:
The dynamic range and shade of the music is retained perfectly, exposing those little cues that normally get lost in the mix. Naturally, this is the sort of sound that is made for fey-sounding dinner jazz that is still somewhat inexplicably popular in audiophile circles. What people forget is it is also made for playing Chopin, Sigur Ros, Bruce Springsteen’s Nebraska, John Martyn, John Coltrane and a lot of music that didn’t go to the Julie London school.
It’s not the same criteria that you use to listen to some rip-snorting Allman Brothers live blues or some Joy Division gloom, but the amps have the drive and energy to cope with that end of the spectrum too.
These amps have the deep soundstage and expressive dynamic shading that have long been a c-j trademark, but coupled with enough temporal control to have Naim enthusiasts see what all the fuss is about, the sense of authority that will appeal to ARC users and the precision, top-end shimmer and control that Krell lovers crave. It’s still a c-j sound through and through, which means
a sense of tying things together so that you can set all that aside and listen to the music. Alan Sircom

joeinid
03-01-2012, 06:47 PM
I see.....so buy to yourself a nice Tivoli :D

Ha! :no:

Puma Cat
03-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Just listened... sounds amazing. Is this the Gyro or Rega playing?

it was the Gyro playing...