PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Conrad-Johnson

Rafale
09-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Let us what is your favorite Vintage CJ and for which reasons ?

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 05:10 PM
You're going to have to describe the time-frame that defines "vintage" for us, Rafale...then we can post! C-J older than 10 years, 15 years, or >20 years?

;)

joeinid
09-10-2011, 05:13 PM
To me, vintage is anything before my ET5. Sorry :(

Rafale
09-10-2011, 05:26 PM
it is the CJ web site definition....
PV1......PV12
MV45....MV125
MF80.....MF5600
PREM1....PREM16
etc

Rafale
09-10-2011, 05:37 PM
I have a particular affection for the PV10A because it was my first CJ and because I bought it the year of birth of my first child, it was the model without balance and with phono stage. In the time I knew only the English SS integrated and I had never possessed tubed gear. PV10A had an incredible reputation in Great Britain, it was one of rare devices classified Excellent in the HI-FI Choice board. The first time when I listened to it, it was the shock: I remember it very well: the demonstration was made with TRACY CHAPMAN'S LP which I believed to know perfectly...front end was my first LP12 just serviced by the dealer and amp was MV55....i was hooked...I regret having sold it.....I kept it 10 years...

joeinid
09-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Very nice, touching story. I wish I had discovered C-J long ago.

BTW, I love Tracy Chapman. All of her albums are engineered very well and the acoustics are awesome.

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 05:44 PM
it is the CJ web site definition....
PV1......PV12
MV45....MV125
MF80.....MF5600
PREM1....PREM16
etc

So, I just want to be sure we're on the same page here, because the vintage Premier 1-16 category should also include the Premier 17 as well, as it was a lower-priced version of the Pr16...is that correct?

FWIW, the CT-5 is now listed in the Vintage section, but I don't think we should include it for consideration in this thread as it was just discontinued this year.

Rafale
09-10-2011, 05:56 PM
So, I just want to be sure we're on the same page here, because the vintage Premier 1-16 category should also include the Premier 17 as well, as it was a lower-priced version of the Pr16...is that correct?

FWIW, the CT-5 is now listed in the Vintage section, but I don't think we should include it for consideration in this thread as it was just discontinued this year.

you are right Stephen in my mind CT5 is not vintage and Pr17 is borderline because it is up to the new CJ preamp generation
but after all it is in the free choice of each

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 07:49 PM
As the Premier 17 is borderline, I won't include it here, but it's clear it's one of my faves as I've decide to keep it.

So, I'll go in another direction and really go vintage. One of my favorite vintage C-J system is my friend Rob's system: Premier 3 preamp and Premier 5 monoblocks. Both extensively modded by his EE friend, Paul, who really knows tubes. All the C-J caps have been replaced with high-quality paper and oil caps, believe it or not, and Paul has made mods to the power supply as well as other mods. Source are a Logitech Transporter, Mac music server, and a Linn-Sondek LP12 with Linn arm and Dynavector XV-1S cartridge (oh, yeaaahhh!) TT. Speakers are Quad ESL-63s with custom open baffle subs driven by a Bryston SS amp.

This is one the very best systems I've ever heard, bar none. The musicality, transparency, naturalness, detail, imaging and top to bottom coherence are truly remarkable. Music sounds like music on this system.

Rafale
09-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Stephen....that it is the system which I shall like listening to...

Rafale
09-10-2011, 08:40 PM
No possibility of having some photos?

joeinid
09-10-2011, 08:45 PM

+1

I bet it's awesome! Must be nice to have an EE for a friend :D

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 09:17 PM

You and me both...it is an amazing system to listen to.

turntable
09-10-2011, 10:19 PM
conrad johnson prem 8A's. 1992 - 1999

The monoblock that started and ended the ultimate power tube amp.With the cj teflon cap upgrade, even better, quieter and more transparent.
In my system has sounded better than Mark Levinson 33H, VTL MB750's, McIntosh MC501's, 2x MC2102's, Pass X350, Mark Levinson 532H, Gryphon Colliseum to name just some

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4881711655_01dc30d4e4_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4882324648_897aedd227_b.jpg

joeinid
09-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Those are beauty shots for sure! Very nice :)

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 10:47 PM

The monoblock that started and ended the ultimate power tube amp.With the cj teflon cap upgrade, even better, quieter and more transparent.
In my system has sounded better than Mark Levinson 33H, VTL MB750's, McIntosh MC501's, 2x MC2102's, Pass X350, Mark Levinson 532H, Gryphon Colliseum to name just some

Ah, yes, there's the Premier 8s I was referring to... :thumbsup:

Rafale
09-11-2011, 06:43 AM

Magnificent, I can guess the flavour and the extraordinary quality of your system, your contribution is fantastic

turntable
09-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Magnificent, I can guess the flavour and the extraordinary quality of your system, your contribution is fantastic

thanks Rafale.

Your GAT/LP140m combo must be sublime :thumbsup:

joeinid
09-11-2011, 10:34 AM

:banana:

:tresbon:

Rafale
09-11-2011, 11:19 AM
thanks Rafale.

Your GAT/LP140m combo must be sublime :thumbsup:

Thanks, I am really happy with this system, I shall try to to report more details when the GAT will be completely broke in but I am not very skilled to transcribe in English:D. I think that the sound signature of our two installations must be very close especially if to the source you use your LP12 and your dynavector XV1-s, however you possess Strad :thumbsup:and not me..

RoadDawgWest
09-11-2011, 12:01 PM
I purchased the CJ Premier 14 preamp back in the late 90's. The preamp has great frequency response. Later I added the matching Premier 15 phono stage. This combination resulted in numerous enjoyable listening sessions. When I switched to the McIntosh C2200 I knew I would not be selling these pieces. These units stay in my system on the east coast along with my McCormack DNA1.

Rafale
09-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Premier Fourteen Remote Controlled Line-Stage Vacuum Tube Pre-Amplifier

Introduced in December 1995

The Premier Fourteen was the first preamp in the conrad johnson Premier product line to offer remote control. The Premier Fourteen introduced conrad-johnson¹s innovative volume control employing a micro-processor to select combinations from an array of metal-foil resistors. This produces a stepped attenuator with 100 steps in approximately .7 dB increments. By controlling the two channels independently, balance can also be adjusted in 0.7 dB steps. Only the highest quality resistors are introduced into the signal path by the level control, resulting in a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

The audio circuit of the Premier Fourteen consists of a single triode amplifier direct coupled to a triode cathode follower. The low output impedance of the cathode follower permits the use of the Premier Fourteen even installations with long, highly capacitive amplifier interconnect cables without attenuation of the high frequency information and without softening transients. A zero feedback circuit ensures temporal accuracy and spatial detail.

The premier Fourteen was selected by many audiophiles and major magazine reviewers for their own personal use due to its superlative handling of musical transients, its dynamic range, and its very wide frequency response. This is the ultimate complement for any piece of high-end audiophile equipment.

Features:

Inputs/Outputs * PH/AUX1, TUNER, CD, VIDEO, AUX2, plus two EPL loops for external processing or monitor and recording facilities. One pair of main outputs

Controls:

Source Selector, EPL toggle, level, & power. Sources and EPLs directly accessible by remote. Balance by remote.

4 X 6GK5¹s Replacement Tube Set RTPR-14)
Click above for technical info on this product or to purchase a replacement tube kit.

Specifications:

Gain: 25 dB
Phase: Phase Inverting
Maximum Output is 20 VRMS
Distortion: less than .25% THD or IMD at 1.0 V output
Response: bandpass 2Hz to more than 100kHz
Line Stage 96 dB below 2.5 volt output
Dimensions: 19" X 3 _" x 15 _"

mchad
09-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Good day gentlemen,

I wondered into the AA forum and what do you know, you guys have a CJ forum. Very cool...neat place you have here!

I'd like to share a couple of older CJ built Motif pieces that I acquired a couple of years ago from a local fellow. They are a pair of MS-100 power amplifiers from the late 1980's. When I first received them, I didn't know what to expect nor did I know if they were working optimally so for peace of mind I sent them both back to CJ for a check-up. Keith (I believe that's his name) at CJ called me to say the power supply relay contacts needed a cleaning and he also replaced a small power-on transformer in each MS-100 that can become noisy over time. Other than that he said they were performing to spec and should last many more years in service. I sure hope he's right because they sound beautiful to my ears.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/Mitch_Chapman/Motif/Basement03.jpg
(note: There is a muffin fan on the outboard side of each amp for the summer months when they are on for 8 or more hours. They move just enough air to keep things from getting too hot in the tight space.)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/Mitch_Chapman/Motif/Basement09.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/Mitch_Chapman/Motif/MS100001Large.jpg

Best,
Mike

Puma Cat
09-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Here's my first C-J piece, my PV12A preamp. I bought this from a buddy for $800. It was my first introduction to C-J, and it was (still is) a very good preamp. Paired well with both SS amps (I even hooked it up to my truly vintage Harmon-Kardon Citation 12; it sounds geat!) or with tube amps. Not the last word in transparency or detail, it was easily tunable for it's sound by rolling different tubes through it. The hot setup for tubes was the mil-spec Mullard CV4003.
Build quality is standard very high C-J build quality, the only things that might need service would be the pots, which might need a cleaning after many years of use. Certainly did everything right when it came to creating an engaging and musical experience, and still represents a great way to get into C-J gear for the budget or first-time buyer. Pair this with a C-J MF-2250, MF-2500, Premier 11A, or MV60 and you have an excellent sounding system that can reproduce music that "just sounds right".

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Themes-1.jpg

You can now have the caps replaced by C-J with Teflon caps, which I understand takes it to an entirely new level, one that is comparable to many preamps made today.

One thing it would benefit from would be an IEC connector for power, so you could pair it with a Shunyata power cord. Add a Venom3 to this baby, and you'd be stylin'!

Rafale
09-11-2011, 02:49 PM
thanks Stephen, nice peamp, simple but perennially fashionable design....was very often paired with Prem11 in my country

Rafale
09-11-2011, 02:58 PM
I purchased the CJ Premier 14 preamp back in the late 90's. The preamp has great frequency response. Later I added the matching Premier 15 phono stage. This combination resulted in numerous enjoyable listening sessions. When I switched to the McIntosh C2200 I knew I would not be selling these pieces. These units stay in my system on the east coast along with my McCormack DNA1.

Thanks RoaDawgWest, Prem 15 is a reference phonostage furthermore he can be updated to the serie II status and with C1 capacitors

Puma Cat
09-11-2011, 03:09 PM
thanks Stephen, nice peamp, simple but perennially fashionable design....was very often paired with Prem11 in my country

You mean one of these, Philippe?

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/BoardsNBlocks-3.jpg

I had my PV12 paired with a Prem11A as well! :D

It was my first C-J amp. I found that NOS input tubes took it another level: the hot setup was a Mazda 6SN7 and a GE 5751. The Genalex Gold Lion KT88s worked a treat in this amp.

Still a great amp. Built like a brick outhouse with superb transformers....here's a pic of the underside of mine, at the time it was 15 years old.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Pr11Bottom.jpg

Beautiful build quality. The classic C-J workmanship is evident throughout.

You can also have this amp upgraded with Teflon caps...I can imagine pairing this with a Teflon-cap upgraded PV12 would be quite a dynamic duo! :thumbsup:

joeinid
09-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks Guys,

You are killing me :)

Rafale
09-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Ahhhhh, Prem11
Absolutely magnificent, I dreamed about this amplifier during years but it was inaccessible to me at the price of French sale

Rafale
09-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Stephen, how does the Premier 11 compare to the MV60SE ?

Puma Cat
09-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Philippe,
Don't know....I have never heard the MV60. I sold my Premier 11A to my buddy Paolo when I got my LP70S. He's still using it. Loves it.

Rafale
09-11-2011, 03:29 PM
IMHO concerning the design, the prem 11 is much more attractive than the MV60SE

Puma Cat
09-11-2011, 03:37 PM
I agree.

Rafale
09-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Puma cat.... incredible..... your 15 years old Prem 11 looks like new !

Masterlu
09-11-2011, 05:07 PM
mchad... Welcome! :wave:

Puma Cat
09-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Puma cat.... incredible..... your 15 years old Prem 11 looks like new !

Yeah, it was in great condition. There was a little bit of corrosion on the heads of the allen bolts that hold the transformers to the chassis, but overall, it was like new.

mchad
09-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Thank you Masterlu.

Mike

Rafale
09-11-2011, 05:41 PM
The MV50 is very appreciated in my country, no user on the forum?

joeinid
09-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Hi Mike!

:welcome2.:

Joe

Rafale
09-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Thank you Masterlu.

Mike

hello Mike:thumbsup:

mchad
09-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Hello Phillipe and Joe. It sure looks like there are a number of CJ folks on this board....and you guys have had many different varied pieces too :thumbsup: My only experience in the CJ world has been with the Motif MS100 listed in my first post and if they are any indication, I would imagine some of the tube offerings are really something special to behold.

p.s. Phillipe, my wife and I spend some time in your neck of the woods exactly one year ago when we visited France. We spent a few nights at Auberge De Launay in Limeray and a night in Blere among several other spots in the area. You live in a beautiful place sir.

Best,
Mike

turntable
09-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks, I am really happy with this system, I shall try to to report more details when the GAT will be completely broke in but I am not very skilled to transcribe in English:D. I think that the sound signature of our two installations must be very close especially if to the source you use your LP12 and your dynavector XV1-s, however you possess Strad :thumbsup:and not me..

Yes Phillipe, definately on the warm side

I have had the XV-1 on the LP12, however at the moment I have a ESC'd rebuilt Linn Troika :banana:

takes me back to my Linn Naim days and I just luv the look of the Troika :D

Rafale
09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Hello Phillipe and Joe. It sure looks like there are a number of CJ folks on this board....and you guys have had many different varied pieces too :thumbsup: My only experience in the CJ world has been with the Motif MS100 listed in my first post and if they are any indication, I would imagine some of the tube offerings are really something special to behold.

p.s. Phillipe, my wife and I spend some time in your neck of the woods exactly one year ago when we visited France. We spent a few nights at Auberge De Launay in Limeray and a night in Blere among several other spots in the area. You live in a beautiful place sir.

Best,
Mike

Thanks Mike....If you return in the region it will be a big pleasure to meet you and to get acquainted....
Your system is really not common :thumbsup:, you will have to speak to us about your more in-depth approach, and I am very intrigued by your speakers....:scratch2:

Rafale
09-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Yes Phillipe, definately on the warm side

I have had the XV-1 on the LP12, however at the moment I have a ESC'd rebuilt Linn Troika :banana:

takes me back to my Linn Naim days and I just luv the look of the Troika :D

great people at Expert Stylus Company
i have had troika, akiva and klyde serviced / rebuilt by ESC.....
Troika has a cult status, it is a truly special cart ....:music:

Rafale
09-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Turntable, were you lucky to listen to XV1-t?

mchad
09-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks Mike....If you return in the region it will be a big pleasure to meet you and to get acquainted....
Your system is really not common :thumbsup:, you will have to speak to us about your more in-depth approach, and I am very intrigued by your speakers....:scratch2:

Hi Philippe,

We would love to go visit again but it likely won't be for a few years yet.

My downstairs setup is where I have the pair of Motif MS-100 power amps. They are fed by an Audio Research SP-11 preamplifier. The loudspeakers are B&W Matrix 805 (horizontal which you don't find too often). The digital player is a Sony DVP-NS999ES. The Turntable is a Technics SP-15 with Jelco SA-250 arm and Zu Denon DL-103 cartridge. All of the speaker cables and IC's are my own build.

The Motif amps are setup in biamp duty with one amp driving L + R tweeters and the other driving the L + R midwoofers on the B&W speakers.

All the equipment in this setup is supplied 120V thru a dedicated 20amp run.

I really enjoy the listening experience of this setup and it truly shines when playing classical pieces that emphasize strings and piano. It will rock out when asked to, but the most joy it brings to me is low level listening late at night. I believe the two amps driving these diminutive speakers does so with good enough authority to bring out detail, transients and dynamics often missed with lesser powered setups.

Best,
Mike

Rafale
09-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Thank you Mike
effectively very interesting not conventional system and certainly very musical I completely agree concerning the listening at low level

repman
09-12-2011, 05:55 PM
My vintage CJ gear Premier 11-A amp with a Premier 17LS pre driving some vintage Martin Logan Sequel II speakers

joeinid
09-12-2011, 05:59 PM
My vintage CJ gear Premier 11-A amp with a Premier 17LS pre driving some vintage Martin Logan Sequel II speakers

Wow, looks great :drool::drool::drool::drool:

Rafale
09-12-2011, 06:06 PM

beautiful Sir :yes:

Puma Cat
09-12-2011, 06:07 PM
That should be a killer setup...

repman
09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks Guys I love the CJ sound mated with electrostats :D

mchad
09-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Thank you Philippe. Yes, I suppose it is quite unconventional with regards to many standard homogenous setups of a particular brand or "known brand synergy combinations".

The Motif power amps in conjunction with the ARC preamp seem to complement each other in this setup.

Best,
Mike

turntable
09-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Turntable, were you lucky to listen to XV1-t?

No XV-1t Phillipe. Silly money really, however if i won the lottery I would buy one:thumbsup:

My dealer has one and it is his favourite cartridge.

Rafale
09-13-2011, 04:59 PM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3546/l10605861.jpg

LP12SE
Ekos SE with XV1-t :yahoo::yahoo:

joeinid
09-13-2011, 05:36 PM
LP12SE

Wow! Very nice. :thumbsup:

repman
09-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Very nice indeed :thumbsup:

Masterlu
09-13-2011, 06:14 PM
She's a Beauty!

Puma Cat
09-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Philippe,
That is gorgeous!

-Stephen

Rafale
09-13-2011, 06:20 PM
This beauty took up residence to Honk-Kong, the plinth is hand-built by Chris Harban ( Woodsong Audio USA), the set-up is realized by the 'Sondekmaster' Peter Swain ( Cymbiosis UK ), the only one in whom I trust to install XV-1 on EkosSE small headshell

Rafale
09-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Guys the best LP12 plinth in the world are hand-made in your country !!!!

turntable
09-13-2011, 09:29 PM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3546/l10605861.jpg

LP12SE

Is that yours Philippe? awesome. if so, how does the "t" sound vs the "s"

cheers

Rafale
09-14-2011, 04:45 AM
unfortunately it's not mine, i think that it is a curly maple plinth, mine is bubinga by the same maker ie Chris Harban
nerver had the chance to listen to the ''t'', but the "s" outperforms easily my Akiva....

Jerome W
09-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Philippe,

that is a beautiful TT :thumbsup: !
The Old Queen is still sexy !

Rafale
09-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Philippe,

that is a beautiful TT :thumbsup: !
The Old Queen is still sexy !

Hi Jérôme,

the Scottish awarded her a new wardrobe for these quite last years....:music:

Rafale
09-14-2011, 05:28 PM
my MV60SE, sweet amp:yes:
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/ET2.jpg
[http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/th_L1010402.jpgIMG]http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/L1010271.jpg[/IMG]

Rafale
09-14-2011, 05:31 PM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/L1010271.jpg

Rafale
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/L1010408.jpg

joeinid
09-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Hi Philippe,

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing. Does the SE version use the 6550's? I was thinking of getting a used MV60 with the EL34's.

Joe

Rafale
09-14-2011, 05:43 PM
my first CJ amplifier, the MV55 EL34 push-pullhttp://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/L1000872.jpg

joeinid
09-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Do you still these amps?

Wow!

Joe

Rafale
09-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Hi Philippe,

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing. Does the SE version use the 6550's? I was thinking of getting a used MV60 with the EL34's.

Joe

hi Joe
my pleasure ....
yes SE version came with 6550

Rafale
09-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Do you still these amps?

Wow!

Joe

Not regrettably I sold them to climb the levels of the CJ range, but I like their sobriety and the quality of their construction, there is nothing ostentatious

Rafale
09-15-2011, 04:39 PM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/divers140.jpg

PV10A phono preamplifier, my first CJ, at the end of the 90s

Rafale
09-15-2011, 04:43 PM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/MV55details001.jpghttp://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/L1000875.jpg

Topless MV55

Bugs762
03-31-2012, 03:06 AM
So I'm really new to the CJ world having just stepped up from a modified Dynaco ST70 and a PAS-3 preamp to a MV-60SE and a PV-11 preamp. I'm playing them back through a pair of Zu Omen speakers which are pretty easy to drive. I think the setup sounds pretty good over what I started with. I put a quad of KT-120s in the amp and I think that was a marked improvement. My gear fits the definition of vintage and I don't see myself purchasing any new CJ equipment (as in recent/new model), as much as I would like to, but I still have wiggle room to purchase other vintage CJ gear.

I haven't read much on the PV-11 and what I have read hasn't been flattering, although some people like them. The PV-11 does seem pretty responsive to tube rolling. I have a pair of NOS Mullard 12au7 on the line stage and a pair of NOS Telefunken
12ax7 smooth plates in the phono stage. There is also a NOS 5751 that might be a RC black plate?

I think the MV-60 is a keeper, but I'm not completely convinced on the PV-11, primarily because I haven't listened to a lot of systems. To bring this to a conclusion, of the older CJ preamps, which one(s) do you think would make a good pairing with the MV 60?

And one other question; the amp has 4 ohm speaker outputs, but my speakers are 12 ohm. Would it make much of a difference to use the 8 ohm or even 16 ohm speaker outputs?

Many thanks,
Doug

dpod4
03-31-2012, 01:50 PM
So I'm really new to the CJ world having just stepped up from a modified Dynaco ST70 and a PAS-3 preamp to a MV-60SE and a PV-11 preamp. I'm playing them back through a pair of Zu Omen speakers which are pretty easy to drive. I think the setup sounds pretty good over what I started with. I put a quad of KT-120s in the amp and I think that was a marked improvement. My gear fits the definition of vintage and I don't see myself purchasing any new CJ equipment (as in recent/new model), as much as I would like to, but I still have wiggle room to purchase other vintage CJ gear.

I haven't read much on the PV-11 and what I have read hasn't been flattering, although some people like them. The PV-11 does seem pretty responsive to tube rolling. I have a pair of NOS Mullard 12au7 on the line stage and a pair of NOS Telefunken
12ax7 smooth plates in the phono stage. There is also a NOS 5751 that might be a RC black plate?

I think the MV-60 is a keeper, but I'm not completely convinced on the PV-11, primarily because I haven't listened to a lot of systems. To bring this to a conclusion, of the older CJ preamps, which one(s) do you think would make a good pairing with the MV 60?

And one other question; the amp has 4 ohm speaker outputs, but my speakers are 12 ohm. Would it make much of a difference to use the 8 ohm or even 16 ohm speaker outputs?

Many thanks,
Doug

Puma cat and joe inid, rafale and coppy are all great sources for all things CJ. Regarding ohm taps it does make a difference sound wise but sometimes opposite what u would estimate. Best to use your ears and A-B.

Rafale
03-31-2012, 02:31 PM

Many thanks,
Doug

Hi Doug and welcome aboard

With an MV60 my choice would be a PV14 or better a Prem17LS
The PV14 was the natural partner of the MV60 in the previous CJ range thus assured synergy, but if you can find Prem 17 LS.......:music::music::music:

Puma Cat
03-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi Doug and welcome aboard

With an MV60 my choice would be a PV14 or better a Prem17LS
The PV14 was the natural partner of the MV60 in the previous CJ range thus assured synergy, but if you can find Prem 17 LS.......:music::music::music:

Yes, a Premier 17LS would be the way to go. If not that, then a PV15 would be a great choice.

Rafale
03-31-2012, 03:12 PM
try ET2 too, very fine preamp ..... underrated
here my ET2 + MV60SE some years ago
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/ET2.jpg?t=1318227210

Rafale
03-31-2012, 03:23 PM
vintage or not, I always like so much CJ stuff....:banana:

Puma Cat
03-31-2012, 03:26 PM
try ET2 too, very fine preamp ..... underrated
here my ET2 + MV60SE some years ago
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/phidelrv/ET2.jpg?t=1318227210

So, Philippe, you liked your ET2?

CD has been pretty mum on what he thinks about the ET2.

I need to put my Pr17 back in the system; I've been listening to the CT-5 mostly lately since I got the Reflektor 6H30-DR tubes (which really fleshed it out nicely). Maybe I will put the Pr17 back in tonight....it's such a sweet pre.

Rafale
03-31-2012, 03:32 PM
yes i liked it very much :yes: in association with MV60SE and LP70S

Rafale
03-31-2012, 03:34 PM
So, Philippe, you liked your ET2?

I need to put my Pr17 back in the system; I've been listening to the CT-5 mostly lately since I got the Reflektor 6H30-DR tubes (which really fleshed it out nicely). Maybe I will put the Pr17 back in tonight....it's such a sweet pre.

Stephen....It is good that you can keep both :yes::thumbsup:

tima
04-01-2012, 03:37 AM
My CJ family album:
PV8 - a real preamp with a phono section - still with me.
http://webpages.charter.net/jtauc1/CJ_PV8.jpg
Premier 16LS - what a sweetie, I really miss her
http://webpages.charter.net/jtauc1/16LS_a.jpg
Premier 12s - they followed me home and mom let me keep 'em!
http://webpages.charter.net/jtauc1/CJP12_4.jpg
Premier 140 - sans cover
http://webpages.charter.net/jtauc1/Prem140_1.jpg
ACT 2
http://webpages.charter.net/jtauc1/CJACT2_1_small.jpg

I assume the ACT 2 is not considered vintage, maybe not even the Prem 140 - probably anything with 6H30 is not - but they wanted to be in the album. :) Can't find any pics of the departed PV5 - but you never forget your first.

Rafale
04-01-2012, 03:45 AM
Tima....fantastic:thumbsup:.......I want them all:yes:

Bugs762
04-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Rafale and Puma Cat - Thanks for the input, I'll keep my eyes open. You guys have some mouth=watering gear.

Doug

Puma Cat
04-01-2012, 11:18 AM
My CJ family album:
Premier 16LS - what a sweetie, I really miss her
http://webpages.charter.net/jtauc1/16LS_a.jpg
Premier 12s - they followed me home and mom let me keep 'em!
http://webpages.charter.net/jtauc1/CJP12_4.jpg

I'll bet that Premier 16 was a sweetie for sure, my Pr17 is the same, and, in one word, that's the word I would use to describe it, too...sweet.

I can only imagine the Premier 16 paired with the Premier 12s must have been an absolutely wonderful-sounding pairing. :music::music::music:

CDLehner
04-01-2012, 06:02 PM

Stephen...I like the ET-2 very much. My previous pre...the Belles 21a w/Auricaps...is known for its extended, yet sweet highs; so the ET-2 was an adjustment. It's warmer, for sure...and at first, that presented itself as a bit rolled-off. But that's not the case; the detail is there...and it's a very involving unit.

I found I quickly stopped listening for comparisons, and was just enjoying the music...and that's all I can ask of any gear. I'm not sure about the match of ET-2 and mf-2500a. To me, they're both a touch warm, and I'm not sure I'm crazy about the combo.

Don't get me wrong; no one is saying it's a bad pair...that would be crazy. Just wondering if a more "neutral" power amp might pair better with the ET-2, which I'm pretty sure is staying for a while. :yes:

I posted a little blurb in my ET-2 v. P18LS thread...about how I might like the P18LS/mf-2500a pairing a little better (well, that remains to be seen...when I switch back); but I think the ET-2 is the better unit outright.

Just drinking it all in.

Puma Cat
04-01-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm glad to hear that you're listening to music and engaged that way rather than for comparisons. That's what it's about as you say.

Bugs762
04-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Any idea what you would expect to pay for a PV15 or a P17?

Puma Cat
04-01-2012, 09:47 PM
About $1750 on average for a PV15, and approx $2000-$2200 for a Premier 17LS.

Premier 17LS2 sell for around $2750...

Bugs762
04-04-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm considering a PV15 to replace my PV11. Has anyone ever compared these two preamps or know how the PV15 would be sonically different? My PV11 does have a phono stage which the PV15 does not. I'll eventually need to look for a phon pre. You guys are seriously enabling my upgradeitis.

Thanks,
Doug

Puma Cat
04-04-2012, 04:49 PM
The PV15 will be notably superior to the PV11.

BTW, you can have C-J install the phono section in a PV15 if you send it back to them.

nz022
04-04-2012, 09:48 PM
http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/47739/2255559060040060935S600x600Q85.jpg (http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2255559060040060935mXCjye)

and

http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/48683/2777157280040060935S600x600Q85.jpg (http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2777157280040060935lnxPUg)

ronenash
04-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Wow that looks cool!

Bugs762
04-05-2012, 01:01 AM
The PV15 will be notably superior to the PV11.

BTW, you can have C-J install the phono section in a PV15 if you send it back to them.

Thanks Puma Cat. I just pulled the trigger on a very clean PV15 on Agon for $1,350. Thank you and everyone else for answering my questions.

Best,
Doug

joeinid
04-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks Puma Cat. I just pulled the trigger on a very clean PV15 on Agon for $1,350. Thank you and everyone else for answering my questions.

Best,
Doug

Congratulations Doug. :banana:

Puma Cat
04-05-2012, 01:31 AM

Best,
Doug

Congrats, Doug!

Let us know how it is when you get it. I've never heard one and have been very curious about it. My guess is it will be very good.

f1 fan
04-05-2012, 11:29 AM
http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/47739/2255559060040060935S600x600Q85.jpg (http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2255559060040060935mXCjye)

and

http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/48683/2777157280040060935S600x600Q85.jpg (http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2777157280040060935lnxPUg)

Stunning....:thumbsup::yes:

Dave

joeinid
04-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Stunning....:thumbsup::yes:

Dave

+1 :drool: and beautifully setup.

Rafale
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Congrats, Doug!

Let us know how it is when you get it. I've never heard one and have been very curious about it. My guess is it will be very good.

PV15 is very very good:thumbsup: congrats Doug:thumbsup:

Rafale
04-05-2012, 02:01 PM

and

la classe :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

nz022
04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
la classe :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

yes indeed...the owner lives in the Bordeaux region of France. Several years ago I sold him a CJ Premier 10 and he sent me these pixs of his rig.

Bugs762
04-05-2012, 11:50 PM

Best,
Doug

Oy, the owner dropped the PV 15 when he was taking it off his stereo shelf and demo'd the unit. :tears: There will always be more preamps for sale, but I sure feel bad for him.

rthomeint
04-07-2012, 06:50 PM
I thought the group might find this interesting.

rthomeint
04-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Here is another one.

CDLehner
04-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Oy, the owner dropped the PV 15 when he was taking it off his stereo shelf and demo'd the unit. :tears: There will always be more preamps for sale, but I sure feel bad for him.

Bugs, does this mean you do not have a PV-15 yet?

Puma Cat
04-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Bugs, does this mean you do not have a PV-15 yet?

Yes, the sale fell through when the seller dropped his PV15.