PDA

View Full Version : ET5 is Sounding Wonderful ....

joeinid
09-09-2011, 01:03 PM
I've had the Conrad Johnson ET5 for 5 days now and I've been playing it non-stop (with the MC601 amps on and off). That gives me about 120 hours on the preamp myself. It's definitely starting to open up and smooth out. Some of the highs and vocals were a little constrained and ever so slightly sibilant. NO MORE! It's a wonderful preamp and has a wide and deep sound stage. I really like it :yes:. I have to believe it was no where near broken in and hardly used when I picked it up. I can't wait until it has a couple hundred more hours on it. I was expecting some tubes today :tears: it turns out they were back ordered. Darn. I have my EAT ECC88 but I want to work my way up to it. You know, build some suspense :D. I thought I had some spare Gold Lions but I don't, I'd have to take one out of a dac I have and don't really want to do that. A few more days will not kill me :no:

So, I'm having fun and lusting after more C-J gear. :scratch2: We will have to talk :D

Rayooo
09-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Lucky you to be able to get an EAT 6922, when I asked for my replacement I was told they were out-of-stock, and hopefully it would not be too long.

I'll give the gold lion a whirl next week

I surely don't have a good handle on how long the normal break-in should take on these preamps. I hear everything from a hundred hours to hundreds of hours. I also heard that those teflon caps, if not used for long periods of time, can revert-back somewhat and will need to be played awhile to get back to their broken-in status.

joeinid
09-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I am expecting at least another 200-300 hours before she settles down and probably 500-600 before I can consider it broken in fully. I know in some circles, 1000 hours is not considered unreasonable for a full break in.

:)

Puma Cat
09-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Joe,
Thanks so much for the posts, and the update. It's gratifying to hear how much you are enjoying your ET-5! Those of us that are C-J owners fully understand where you're coming from.

Yes, expect the ET-5 will continue to improve over the next coupla/several hundred hours.

The guy who sold me my CT-5 said it took 1000-1200 hours for his ET-5 to fully "get there" and that's consistent with my experiences with my CT-5.

The good thing is you're enjoying it already...

As for more C-J gear, yes, we'll have to talk! ;)

Puma Cat
09-09-2011, 03:02 PM
I also heard that those teflon caps, if not used for long periods of time, can revert-back somewhat and will need to be played awhile to get back to their broken-in status.

They won't fully revert back, but they may require some "re-running in" if not played for long periods of time.

Doesn't sound like that will be an issue with Joe's ET-5, though! :D

joeinid
09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
They won't fully revert back, but they may require some "re-running in" if not played for long periods of time.

Doesn't sound like that will be an issue with Joe's ET-5, though! :D

:nono::nono::nono:

:banana: I normally play 8-12 hrs a day anyway!

Rayooo
09-09-2011, 03:54 PM
:nono::nono::nono:

:banana: I normally play 8-12 hrs a day anyway!

Joeinid, you are the king! I'm lucky to get 8-12 hours a week it seems!

well, recently a bit more, 'trying to pick some new amps, want to replace the Primare with a couple monoblocks, just plugged in a couple JC-1 loaners. talk about hot, these things are painful to touch when running in high-bias.

Puma Cat
09-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Regading amps, I think the hot set-up would be a pair of c-j LP140Ms or LP275Ms.

Oh, yeah!

turntable
09-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Regading amps, I think the hot set-up would be a pair of c-j LP140Ms or LP275Ms.

Oh, yeah!

Nah, Joe can go the who hog against his Bur 911's.

cj ART amplifiers :scratch2: :yes: :D

jimtranr
09-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Glad--though not surprised--that you're enjoying the ride, Joe. It will just get better.

As you consider the possibility of adding to your c-j stable, I'll second Stephen's comments about the line's synergy. When I first acquired my MF2500 amp--in part because of its current-delivery ability to drive Magnepan 1.6QR's in a large dedicated room-- I mated it to a heavily-designer-modified Counterpoint tubed line stage. The impedance match was theoretically ideal, and sonically it was what I considered an exquisite combination.

I was intrigued, however, by reviewer buzz about the Premier 17LS and, reaching deeper into my pockets than prudence might have suggested at the time, popped for one. I noted that its 850-ohm output impedance was roughly 35% higher than that of the Counterpoint, but given the MF2500's 100 Kohm input impedance and an IC run of one meter between line stage and amp didn't think it would be an issue. It wasn't. After about 100 hours of playtime (not a typo, since, heck, even burn-in should be fun with toys like this), the 17LS proved to be an even more exquisite match.

That's a finding that's been borne out by my recent experience with the Sonographe combination. What seems evident is that c-j design and execution is informed by a musical sensibility that renders appropriate--from a perspective that admittedly some friends of mine consider a bit twisted--faceplates that conjure up champagne. And only the good stuff.

joeinid
09-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Stephen et al.,

I am glad I can contribute in some small way and it's fun to see this corner of AA grow everyday. I hope more people realize how nice C-J really sounds. And yes, I am enjoying the ride.

As much as I like the MC601's now with the ET5, I think the ET5 begs to be mated with one of its own kind :) and this should be tubes all the way. This will give me the best of both worlds. The guy I got the ET5 from also has a pair of LP275's. He may try to move my 601's and make a deal on the LP275's, but I think they are overkill for me. The LP140M's make more sense and I'll probably talk to him next week. At this point I could even go for a Classic Sixty. I love EL34's and I bet it's a nice amp. A funny thing happened on the way to getting a Classic Sixty. I ended up with an ET5. I don't fully understand how that worked out but I'm glad.

Joe

Rayooo
09-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Stephen et al.,

I am glad I can contribute in some small way and it's fun to see this corner of AA grow everyday. I hope more people realize how nice C-J really sounds. And yes, I am enjoying the ride.

As much as I like the MC601's now with the ET5, I think the ET5 begs to be mated with one of its own kind :) and this should be tubes all the way. This will give me the best of both worlds. The guy I got the ET5 from also has a pair of LP275's. He may try to move my 601's and make a deal on the LP275's, but I think they are overkill for me. The LP140M's make more sense and I'll probably talk to him next week. At this point I could even go for a Classic Sixty. I love EL34's and I bet it's a nice amp. A funny thing happened on the way to getting a Classic Sixty. I ended up with an ET5. I don't fully understand how that worked out but I'm glad.

Joe

Hummmmm, I guess I really do need to get off this kick of mine...mating a CJ preamp with as big as possible SolidState amp...to properly drive Maggie 3.X series. This mental block I have started way way back when with me using tube preamps of various ilk to drive high current amps , to drive Apogee Duettas. You guys are rocking my boat! :yikes:

joeinid
09-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Hummmmm, I guess I really do need to get off this kick of mine...mating a CJ preamp with as big as possible SolidState amp...to properly drive Maggie 3.X series. This mental block I have started way way back when with me using tube preamps of various ilk to drive high current amps , to drive Apogee Duettas. You guys are rocking my boat! :yikes:

Hey,

I had Apogee Duettas :banana: Awesome speaker. I ran them with a Counterpoint SA220 and 3.1 preamp. Nice combo. I would think, with the Maggies, you would need some decent power. Maybe someone more familiar with them will give advice. I understand with Magnepan, the more power the better. Hmmmmmm :scratch2:

Rayooo
09-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Amazing, once I owned the Apogees I was hooked on Planers forever more! At this point..as far as amp pick is going, I guess I'm between Cary SA500.1 and Parasound JC-1. I could save my scheckles a bit longer and go for ARTs, but I'd be saving for the next 40 years. I'd probably buy a Premier 350 sight unseen, but they seem to be few and far between these days. Thus I'm driving myself crazy trying to pick "$10k Monoblocks."

joeinid
09-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi Rayooo,

Once I had the Apogees, I was hooked also. I think that's why I gravitated towards the Alon/Nola open baffle/dipole speakers. It gives me that planar sound in a more dynamic speaker.

I think the Cary would be a good amp and run pretty cool. I know the JC-1 would certainly work but run pretty warm/hot. Have you considered an ET250S? The Premier 350 has a stellar reputation and there's one on Audiogon now but I don't know if there was more than one model or version. Maybe Stephen will fill in the blanks.

Joe

ps The 350 on Audiogon is GONE :(

Rayooo
09-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I just wasn't convinced the ET250 would have it. I could be wrong. I have a couple of the SA500.1's here now, I ran them for a good 50 hours and they definitely beat my PrimareA32 in virtually every respect. One of the Carys has a very minor issue, and they are going to get me a replacement. In the meantime I decided to try the JC-1. Oh my yes, on high bias these things will fry eggs. I will try the normal bias setting as well. I must say that after just a few hours I'm preferring the JC-1s to the Carys. I never suspected this. I can't imagine ever owning anything but CJ preamp(s) I just wish I could get into a CJ Amp...maybe I should have a look at ET250. The rate I'm going it'll be 2012 before I decide.

joeinid
09-09-2011, 08:51 PM
From my research, the JC-1 are supposed to be great amps. Maybe the Audio Research DS450's might be something to consider. Any way to try the ET250?

Puma Cat
09-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Glad--though not surprised--that you're enjoying the ride, Joe. It will just get better.

As you consider the possibility of adding to your c-j stable, I'll second Stephen's comments about the line's synergy. When I first acquired my MF2500 amp--in part because of its current-delivery ability to drive Magnepan 1.6QR's in a large dedicated room-- I mated it to a heavily-designer-modified Counterpoint tubed line stage. The impedance match was theoretically ideal, and sonically it was what I considered an exquisite combination.

I was intrigued, however, by reviewer buzz about the Premier 17LS and, reaching deeper into my pockets than prudence might have suggested at the time, popped for one. I noted that its 850-ohm output impedance was roughly 35% higher than that of the Counterpoint, but given the MF2500's 100 Kohm input impedance and an IC run of one meter between line stage and amp didn't think it would be an issue. It wasn't. After about 100 hours of playtime (not a typo, since, heck, even burn-in should be fun with toys like this), the 17LS proved to be an even more exquisite match.

That's a finding that's been borne out by my recent experience with the Sonographe combination. What seems evident is that c-j design and execution is informed by a musical sensibility that renders appropriate--from a perspective that admittedly some friends of mine consider a bit twisted--faceplates that conjure up champagne. And only the good stuff.

Great post! :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
09-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Stephen et al.,

Joe

Great post and a great story! :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
09-09-2011, 10:37 PM
I can't imagine ever owning anything but CJ preamp(s) I just wish I could get into a CJ Amp...maybe I should have a look at ET250. The rate I'm going it'll be 2012 before I decide.

From my research, the JC-1 are supposed to be great amps. Maybe the Audio Research DS450's might be something to consider. Any way to try the ET250?

Joe and Rayoo,
C-J replaced the Premier 350 with the ET250S because of instability issues with the 350. Apparently if you removed (or re-connected, I can't remember now) speaker cables w/o completely discharging the amp's power supply caps, you could damage the amp. This was told to me by the owner at Spearit Sound and corroborated by my local High End dealer, who said he destroyed a 350 doing just this.

Long story short, the ET250S provides PLENTY of muscle for planar speakers; one of my friends who also has a CT-5 is using an ET250S to drive Maggie 3.6s, which is one of the most inefficient, power hungry, and impedance-challenging speakers on the planet. And he's driving them VERY effectively with it, and really likes the amp a lot. He says it is the "sleeper" in the C-J amp line.

So, if you're considering an ET250, I'd say go for it.

Puma Cat
09-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Stephen et al.,

Joe

Any of these amps will mate beautifully with the ET-5. If you want to try EL34s and they'll work for you, go for it. If that's enough power, also consider the LP70S. The owner at Spearit Sound has told me a couple of times he thinks it's the sweetest amp C-J has ever made. I've sure got no complaints!

joeinid
09-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the background Stephen. I really appreciate it. The ET250s intrigues me also, mainly because my system is on so much and it has only 2 little tubes to replace, it wouldn't be a killer on maintenance. I bet it sounds great having the tube input stage and solid state muscle.

I'm continuing my research .... they all look good :)

Puma Cat
09-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the background Stephen. I really appreciate it. The ET250s intrigues me also, mainly because my system is on so much and it has only 2 little tubes to replace, it wouldn't be a killer on maintenance. I bet it sounds great having the tube input stage and solid state muscle.

I'm continuing my research .... they all look good :)

They are. C-J doesn't make a bad product; they all sound superb.

Jerome W
09-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Hey Joe,
Congrats on your new preamp :banana: !
I have looked for the web site of your store but could not find it.
Could you post a link please ? :D

joeinid
09-10-2011, 02:03 AM
Hey Joe,
Congrats on your new preamp :banana: !
I have looked for the web site of your store but could not find it.
Could you post a link please ? :D

Hi Jérôme ,

Thank you very much. There's a lot of very good equipment out there. There happens to be a lot of good equipment in my room also :yes:. I think you are suffering from a similar affliction. I am loving the new gear.

Ahhh, you have to know the secret password :D and secret handshake :thumbsup: for the store. :smoking: Ha!

Jerome W
09-10-2011, 02:44 AM
Hi Jérôme ,

Thank you very much. There's a lot of very good equipment out there. There happens to be a lot of good equipment in my room also :yes:. I think you are suffering from a similar affliction. I am loving the new gear.

Ahhh, you have to know the secret password :D and secret handshake :thumbsup: for the store. :smoking: Ha!

Joe,
Yes, I think that we suffer from the same disease.
But it is a nice one ! :D

joeinid
09-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Joe,
Yes, I think that we suffer from the same disease.
But it is a nice one ! :D

This kind of disease is indeed nice :thumbsup: And one where none of us wish to find a cure!

Jérôme, If you like the Manley's, you will LOVE Conrad-Johnson. This is something to keep in the back of your mind and you don't have to act on it right now, but trust me on this one :smoking:. I know from experience :)

Rafale
10-13-2011, 04:37 PM
2011 HI-FI + guide to crème de la crèmeissue 83
'' the trickle-down effect is strong at c-j, and the new ET5 line stage is clearly a very close relative to the company's top GAT preamp, both in terms of performance and sound quality.
Using a near-hybrid design - which uses both a carefully placed triode in the amplifier stage with a MOSFET buffer - the ET5 sounds far more like the harmonically rich GAT than it has any right to, given it's half the price of the flagship. It seems c-j has hit its purple patch''.

joeinid
10-13-2011, 04:52 PM
2011 HI-FI + guide to crème de la crèmeissue 83
'' the trickle-down effect is strong at c-j, and the new ET5 line stage is clearly a very close relative to the company's top GAT preamp, both in terms of performance and sound quality.
Using a near-hybrid design - which uses both a carefully placed triode in the amplifier stage with a MOSFET buffer - the ET5 sounds far more like the harmonically rich GAT than it has any right to, given it's half the price of the flagship. It seems c-j has hit its purple patch''.

:banana:

VTskier felt the same way on a brief audition. :tresbon:

jimtranr
10-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Any of these amps will mate beautifully with the ET-5. If you want to try EL34s and they'll work for you, go for it. If that's enough power, also consider the LP70S. The owner at Spearit Sound has told me a couple of times he thinks it's the sweetest amp C-J has ever made. I've sure got no complaints!

You guys have to stop this. Now you have me checking the sensitivity spec for my SE-3's. :nono:

joeinid
10-13-2011, 05:55 PM
You guys have to stop this. Now you have me checking the sensitivity spec for my SE-3's. :nono:

:banana:You know you want one :D Join the club :yes:

jimtranr
10-13-2011, 07:52 PM
:banana:You know you want one :D Join the club :yes:

You're no help, Joe. :D

Actually, my plan is to finalize, in steps, my Wireworld loom for the main system and see/hear what it does with the MF2500 in place before I even consider taking on a new c-j amp--though I have to admit the LP70S or ET250S are tempting prospects...especially with all the salivating going on here.

Jim

joeinid
10-13-2011, 07:58 PM
You're no help, Joe. :D

Actually, my plan is to finalize, in steps, my Wireworld loom for the main system and see/hear what it does with the MF2500 in place before I even consider taking on a new c-j amp--though I have to admit the LP70S or ET250S are tempting prospects...especially with all the salivating going on here.

Jim

I'm like the guy telling you to jump off the bridge. Seriously, that sounds like a plan. And a good one. I tend to do things bass ackwards :D. Don't listen to me :thumbsup: