PDA

View Full Version : CJ Preamp on the way...

jaxwired
09-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I've been looking for either a Premier 16/2 or a PV17LS/2, but the opportunity presented itself to try a PV14LS/2 so I went for it. Mint condition and a late production year with extra tubes and the upgraded remote.

I'm currently in search mode for just the right pre/amp or integrated to power my new speakers. I might end up going with an integrated but I'm trying preamps in front of my Bryston 4bsst2 first as I think there's a lot of potential with this combo.

I've got an ARC SP16L now and it sounds pretty special so the CJ is gonna have to knock my socks off to beat the ARC. I know I loved the sound of the CJ Classic SE that I was using previously. So it's a safe bet that the PV14LS/2 will also sound good the these ears. Just looking for that magic combination.

I came really close to pulling the trigger on the Premier 16 thats on Agon right now, but when this PV14 showed up I couldn't pass it up... :D

joeinid
09-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Congratulations!

Looks like it should be a nice one. Please let us know when you get it.

:)

Puma Cat
09-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I've been looking for either a Premier 16/2 or a PV17LS/2, but the opportunity presented itself to try a PV14LS/2 so I went for it. Mint condition and a late production year with extra tubes and the upgraded remote.

I'm currently in search mode for just the right pre/amp or integrated to power my new speakers. I might end up going with an integrated but I'm trying preamps in front of my Bryston 4bsst2 first as I think there's a lot of potential with this combo.

I've got an ARC SP16L now and it sounds pretty special so the CJ is gonna have to knock my socks off to beat the ARC. I know I loved the sound of the CJ Classic SE that I was using previously. So it's a safe bet that the PV14LS/2 will also sound good the these ears. Just looking for that magic combination.

I came really close to pulling the trigger on the Premier 16 thats on Agon right now, but when this PV14 showed up I couldn't pass it up... :D

Awesome! Those seem to be very nice, especially in Series 2 form. The PV14 should be pretty impressive; be very interested to see how it will stack up against the ARC SP16; my guess would be that it will stack up well.

jaxwired
09-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how I get on with it. I know it looks better than the ARC. My wifes first comments about the ARC was "looks like an 8 track player", thanks honey...

turntable
09-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Nice pickup. I am sure you will enjoy it !!

repman
09-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I hope you enjoy it, nice pre.

metaphacts
09-02-2011, 08:35 PM

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=11935&d=1315009795

:laughin: :roflmao:

Seriously though, nice find. Enjoy it! :yes:

joeinid
09-02-2011, 08:39 PM
:laughin: :roflmao:

Seriously though, nice find. Enjoy it! :yes:

+1 :thumbsup:

jaxwired
09-10-2011, 10:01 AM
PV14LS2 arrived yesterday. Listened last night and this morning. One thing I noticed is that manual says it takes tubes called 6c4 but it appears to have Mullard 8080s in it. And I got two extra sets of the Mullards. So I'm guessing the original tubes have been replaced by the previous owner?

Regarding the sound, very surprising, and not at all what I expected. I'm wondering if its because of the tube change.

The bass is way less fat than the CJ classic SE I had before. In fact, I have moved my speakers closer to the walls with this preamp. The bass is there, but it's extremely controlled in comparison to the classic SE or even my ARC SP16L. If I switch in my ARC with the speakers where they are now, I've got too much bloom and the bass is boomy. Not with the PV14, the bass is never boomy at all. However, I like lots of bass, so I'm not sure about this...

However, the mids and the highs are WOW!!!! Super clean without being bright. The mids have lots of richness, but with crystal clarity. Without a doubt more clear than than my ARC. And because I can move the speaker closer to the walls, I think the soundstage and imaging is improved by the wider speaker separation.

To say the least, the sound is a shocker. Very different from the CJ Classic SE. BTW, anyone that says all amps sound the same truly must be deaf.

Oh, and YES, I have the speaker cable inverted to correct the phase.

Rafale
09-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Mullard M8080 and 6C4 are equivalent
the stock tubes in my previously owned ET2 and PV15 was Mullard M8080
not obvious that the origanl tubeshave been replaced

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Jax,
Glad the PV14 sounds a good as it does....

I think what you're finding with the bass is that it's likely more accurate to what is actually on the recording than the SE or the ARC (not sure boomy or uncontrolled bass is what one wants, even if one does like bass). You can also play around with some tube rolling to see exactly what flavor you want to end up with.

The mids and highs are what C-J pres are all about....mids to die for.

The imaging is better because it's a C-J!

Rayooo
09-10-2011, 10:18 AM
you got me thinking....I had a Classic SE for a time, 'liked it overall but now that you mention it at the time my setup surely won no awards in the low end.

Good to hear you are pleased right out of the gate!

joeinid
09-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I noticed the bass on my ET5 was a little fuller, maybe not as defined as I was used to when I first hooked it up. Now that she has some time on it, everything seems to be in better perspective (more even top to bottom). The highs and mid range especially are amazing. It seems like C-J gear loves to be used. The more we play them, the more they beg to be played.

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 10:32 AM
I noticed the bass on my ET5 was a little fuller, maybe not as defined as I was used to when I first hooked it up. Now that she has some time on it, everything seems to be in better perspective (more even top to bottom). The highs and mid range especially are amazing. It seems like C-J gear loves to be used. The more we play them, the more they beg to be played.

Especially when they have Teflon caps! ;)

jaxwired
09-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Especially when they have Teflon caps! ;)

This PV14LS is definately a series 2 as it has the factory S2 model number on the back. So my understanding is that the teflon caps are on board. : )

Rafale
09-10-2011, 11:11 AM
jaxiwired
I am not certain on that 14 S2 has Teflon caps of origin unless it was upgraded to the factory later

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 11:17 AM
jaxiwired
I am not certain on that 14 S2 has Teflon caps of origin unless it was upgraded to the factory later

My comment was directed to Joeinid's comment about them sounding better the more they are played. Almost a requirement for any Teflon-capped component, regardless of origin.

Yes, Philippe, I believe you are right, I am not sure whatever comprised the "original" PV14 Series 2 improvements utilized Teflon caps as part of the Series 2 improvements, but you can send your PV14 back to C-J to have Teflon caps installed:

C1 Capacitor Upgrades (http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/cap_upgrades.html)

Easiest thing to do is just pick up the phone and talk to Ed at C-J.

Rafale
09-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Thank you Stephen, I was not on of it .....but i remember that my PV15 had no Teflon caps
btw which pleasure to be able to discuss CJ with you folks....

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Phiiippe,
You're correct, the PV15 did not have Teflon caps, either (nor does my Premier 17). From what I've heard, it was a great-sounding preamp, and one of the reasons why C-J discontinued the "Premier" moniker...their last set of PV-series was as good as the Premier series. One thing that C-J has consistently done is to "trickle-down" the best of their most sophisticated and expensive designs and circuit topologies into their lower-priced models.

IIRC, the original PV14 Series 2 upgrade was comprised of power supply improvements, swapping out resistors for higher spec ones, and some capacitor upgrades (but not utillizing Teflon caps).

Bear in mind a component does not have to utilize Teflon caps to sound great. Great sound is more a function of an excellent circuit topology, well-designed and implemented power supplies, high quality components, and execution of design.

Rafale
09-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Thank you for reminding us it Stephen....PV15 is an amazing piece of kit for the price... i lived during almost 10 years with a PV10 /MV55 combo, when I have upgraded to the PV15 that was a revelation and that revived the CJ flame... so ET2 then CT5 then GAT...

joeinid
09-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Thank you for reminding us it Stephen....PV15 is an amazing piece of kit for the price... i lived during almost 10 years with a PV10 /MV55 combo, when I have upgraded to the PV15 that was a revelation and that revived the CJ flame... so ET2 then CT5 then GAT...

Hi Phiiippe,

Yes, an amazing journey. I am afraid I want more :drool: also. It just gets better everyday :yes:. C-J all the way!

Joe

Rafale
09-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi Jo

grab the LP275M my friend....they are extraordinarily good

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 12:23 PM
One of the things I've observed that distinguishes C-J (as well as McIntosh) is that their owners become very "loyal" to the brand...and the delicous sound, of course! When they upgrade, they really tend stay with Conrad-Johnson. That's certainly been my experience, and it seems to be the experience of many other C-J owners here as well.

The other brand I've observed this with is Dynaudio loudspeakers (Dyn and C-J make for a great matchup, BTW!) who also inspire the same kind of loyalty and customer satisfaction.

jaxwired
09-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Well, that's disappointing to find out it does not have the teflon caps, but it sounds substantially superior to the Classic SE which did have the teflong caps, so go figure...

joeinid
09-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Hi Jo

grab the LP275M my friend....they are extraordinarily good

I am sure they are, but too much amp for me right now. Seriously, I've seen them and fondled them. Beautiful!

:)

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Well, that's disappointing to find out it does not have the teflon caps, but it sounds substantially superior to the Classic SE which did have the teflong caps, so go figure...

Jax,
We don't know for a fact it doesn't have Teflon caps, it's just a hypothesis. I would call C-J and find out.

But as mentioned before, it's not all just about Teflon caps. It's really the circuit topology and power supply design that are amongst the really important pieces.

Glad to hear how well the PV14 is working out. :thumbsup:

Rafale
09-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Jaxwired
how many hours had your Classic SE ?

jaxwired
09-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Jaxwired
how many hours had your Classic SE ?

I was the second owner. Original owner said it had 200 hours on it. I put another 100 on it.

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 03:53 PM
I auditioned a Classic (not SE version) over the course of three days compared to my PV12, and my PV12 sounded better with NOS Mullard CV4003 tubes than the Classic did with it's stock 8080 tubes. Based on that, if I were to put forward a theory without seeing the schematics of either, the Classic is, or, was based on a topology very similar to the PV10 circuit topology, which itself was a PV12 without tone controls. The exception being that the Classic uses 8080 tubes instead of the PV10/PV12, which used the 12AU7. The Classic SE should be more transparent with it's Teflon caps, but you can also upgrade a PV12 with Teflon caps, which Jeff Dorgay did, and he said the PV12 was very impressive with the Teflon cap upgrade.

Rafale
09-10-2011, 03:54 PM
BTW Jax
PV14L and AR SP16 are reviewed in HIFI+ issue 20 associated with MV60SE and VS55

jaxwired
09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Pics:
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/shopefamily/3.jpg

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/shopefamily/2.jpg

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/shopefamily/1.jpg

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Sweeet. C-J and Dyn Special 25s!

Gotta love that!

joeinid
09-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Sweeet. C-J and Dyn Special 25s!

Gotta love that!

Jax,

Sweet! Beautiful setup.

Rafale
09-10-2011, 04:49 PM
very nice
Jax can you detail your system?

jaxwired
09-10-2011, 05:00 PM
very nice
Jax can you detail your system?

Don't have to ask me twice. Doing me a favor to ask :D

iTunes Apple Lossless -> Apple TV V2 -> Benchmark DAC1 -> CJ PV14LS2 -> Bryston 4bsst2 -> Dynaudio Special 25 on Dyn Stands.

Wireworld Power Cables, Cardas ICs, Chord Company Odyssey 2 Speaker Cable, Wireworld all glass toslink.

Running Springs Haley Power Conditioner

DIY rack: 2" solid mahogony planks using salamander archtype hardware.

FoamFactory and Audimute acoustic treatments.

Thanks for asking. :D:D

joeinid
09-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Believe me, it's OUR pleasure. The setup looks great.

Joe

Puma Cat
09-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Believe me, it's OUR pleasure. The setup looks great.

Joe

Yeah, it does! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thought those were WW power cords...Stratus 5s, right?

Love the RSA power distributor.

Rafale
09-10-2011, 05:19 PM

iTunes Apple Lossless -> Apple TV V2 -> Benchmark DAC1 -> CJ PV14LS2 -> Bryston 4bsst2 -> Dynaudio Special 25 on Dyn Stands.

Wireworld Power Cables, Cardas ICs, Chord Company Odyssey 2 Speaker Cable, Wireworld all glass toslink.

congrats...... and your DIY rack looks really good, well done Jax

jimtranr
09-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Sweet-looking setup. :yes:

Jim

Rafale
09-11-2011, 05:04 PM

Jax there are places on your rack for a CJ EV1 and a nice turntable:yes:

Puma Cat
09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Jax there are places on your rack for a CJ EV1 and a nice turntable:yes:

Heh heh. Good point! :thumbsup: