PDA

View Full Version : Rega returns to reap some rotation

Puma Cat
08-30-2011, 03:53 AM
My buddy Paolo is moving back to Italia for work, so today I picked up my Rega Planar 3 that I've been lending him for the better part of the last year.

Haven't heard the Rega for a while, so it was fun to hook it up and spend the evening listening to it.

Mine is a 1980 Planar 3 with an SME 3009 Series III tonearm.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/large/Rega-1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/large/Rega-2.jpg

in 2008 I fitted the Rega with the current generation motor and most importantly, a GrooveTracer Reference subplatter (in way cool anodized black, no less! :thumbsup:). This is the trick aftermarket subplatter that has the sapphire jeweled business end of the thrust bearing and a zirconium oxide ceramic ball bearing. The GT subplatter took the table to an entirely other level of performance, significantly lowering it's noise floor. And lowering noise on a TT is always a big plus.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/large/Groovetracer-1.jpg

Can you guess the cartridge?

It's a Grace Ruby F9E moving magnet cart from 1987, the first cart of it's type to utilize a single crystal of ruby to provide an ultra-stiff cantilever. It was the veritable shiz-nit back in '87.
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Grace.jpg

It's been completely rebuilt by Peter Ledermann at Soundsmith in 2009 with an all-new ruby cantilever and his nude contact line diamond stylus.

I've been listening to the Rega all night long, and it's like welcoming a long-time family friend back into the fold.

The Rega is very musical, and just does a lot right. It's quiet with excellent drive and timing, and gets at the essence of vinyl and all that analog has to offer. The Grace was always of the best moving magnets ever make, and with the Soundsmith canti/stylus upgrade, it pulls a ridiculous amount of detail out of the record groove. While not obvious from the photo, the cantilever is so thin and light that it is difficult to see with the naked eye. As this is a high-compliance cartridge, it is well-suited to the low mass SME III arm. In terms of stacking up against the moving coil Shelter 501 MkII, the Grace does not have the subtle nuances, decay characteristics, or "inner air" of the Shelter, but it is every bit as detailed, has much better bass, and images as well if not better than the Shelter.

All in all, you'd be surprised as to just how good a well-cared for Rega deck sounds....it's like home week with the return of an old friend. :thumbsup:

miner
08-30-2011, 08:10 AM
That Rega is one beautiful deck. I assume you replaced the RB300 with the SME tone arm? Rega's are simple, cookie-cuttter decks that do things right. Sometimes K-I-S-S is the route to go.

Audio 1
08-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Rega builds products to extract the best sound possible for every price point they manufacture.
They are not concerned with flashy cosmetics, or unnesessary features. Just pure performance and extreme musicality.

The age of this turntable and the fact that you are still getting so much enjoyment out of it really says a lot for Rega's product.
Thank you so much for sharing!

Puma Cat
08-30-2011, 10:37 AM
That Rega is one beautiful deck. I assume you replaced the RB300 with the SME tone arm? Rega's are simple, cookie-cuttter decks that do things right. Sometimes K-I-S-S is the route to go.

No, there was no arm when I bought the table...had to drill the plinth for the SME. This was from before Rega was even making arms. At the time the hot setup in arms was SME, Mayware and the Grace 707. The SME Series III had just come out when I put it on the Rega.

Tonepub
08-30-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm a big fan of the 3009. Great arm.

bakerman
08-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Cool pics, thanks for sharing. Gotta love that Puma-Cat lying there in waiting. He looks fast even when he's standing still :D

Puma Cat
09-03-2011, 03:25 AM
Last night I put my newest prized LP, the Speakers Corner remaster/reissue of Illinois Jacquet's Swing's the Thing on the Rega after having heard it two times through on the Michell.

While the little Planar 3/SME III/Grace Ruby combo doesn't produce the gravitas and weight that the Michell is capable of, this record still sounds damn good on the Rega with the Grace Ruby F9.

It's detailed as as all get out, musical, sweet and smooth...and absolutely does all the stuff that a good TT should do in providing that je nais se quois in playing LPs that CDs for the most part cannot match.

I attribute the lack of weight in large part to the Grace, as I noticed this same lack of weight when I had the Grace on the Michell as well. The lack is mostly it the mids, as the Grace has better bass than the Shelter 501, but not as good as the Koetsu. My guess is that with a big, ballsy cartridge like the Clearaudio Maestro Wood, or even a Koetsu, believe or not, it would be even more impressive.

This stellar LP shows just good the 31-year old Rega's chops still are. Most importantly, the "Grace-full" Rega/SMEeee Three provides a completely engaging and involving musical experience. :music:

Jerome W
09-03-2011, 05:46 AM
All those posts about Rega tables make me miss my P3 /RB300 / Elys combo....

Seriously thinking about a P9 / Exact for a second TT....:scratch2:

miner
09-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Jerome,
The P9 with be a nice table with the Exact, but you will be amazed with a better cartridge. P5/Exact combo is a right matchup. P9 with a higher-end MC is the grail of holies.