PDA

View Full Version : A little love for the Rega P9 Turntable

Tonepub
08-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Owners, your thoughts?

The Rega P9: Long Term – Analogaholic | TONEAudio MAGAZINE (http://www.tonepublications.com/analogaholic/the-rega-p9/)

f1 fan
08-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Jeff...thanks for the link. Great review on a great 'table and for the $$ Rega's are almost impossible to beat. Plug, play and spin. I love my Rega.

Dave

Puma Cat
08-29-2011, 09:02 PM
I just wish I could afford a P9 right now....I'd love to have one.

Jerome W
08-30-2011, 01:53 AM
Jeff,
Did you try the Apheta MC cart with it or just the Exact ?

Puma Cat
08-30-2011, 02:13 AM
IIRC, Jeff's had a no. of cartridges on it. I heard it when he had the Shelter 501MKII on iit and it sounded great.

miner
08-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Jeff,
Thanks for the link. I have gone from a P5 w/TTPSU & Exact cartridge, to a P7 w/Dynavector DV20XH to my current P9 w/Lyra Delos in the course of 3.5 years. Each step was a sonic improvement with the greatest coming from the P7 to the P9. It is a simple but elegant deck and is a fine flagship for the Rega line. I have done the white belt upgrade plus also the Herbie's mat (was getting perturbed with the felt/wool mat sticking to my LPs when lifting off). I may one day try the Alpheta cartridge just to get a different flavor of what is going on. With the P5/P7 I used a Graham Slee Era Gold IV phono stage - much improved over the Rotel phono stage on the RC-1082 pre. Once I steppred up to the McIntosh C2200 and C2300 I no longer required the Graham Slee - the Mc stages are surprisingly good plus on the C2300 I can change loading on the fly with the remote. My P9 is here to stay. Where can I find the original write up? I had contemplated a tonearm rewire with Cardas but I thought ot myself, Why?

Face
08-30-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm curious about the Cardas rewire also.

Tonepub
08-30-2011, 02:11 PM
I typically use the Apheta on the P9 with excellent results. The full write up is in issue 11, but we will be loading it to the Analogaholic part of the site soon.

The only caveat with the Apheta is that it requires to be loaded down LOW. 50 ohms for sure, 25 if you can do it. As I recall Art Dudley reviewed the cartridge for Stereophile, but only had a phono pre capable of 1000 ohm loading. This will send you out of the room screaming with the Apheta. And sure enough, he found the cartridge forward.

While some swear by the Cardas rewire, the quality of the wire in the P9 is excellent. The big issue is the potential for screwing up the bearings in the arm and voiding the warranty. I've never been gutsy enough to take that risk.

miner
08-31-2011, 09:55 AM
My thoughts exactly why I did not want to do the rewire. I believe the P9 has Klotz wire in it, so it is a very good quality wiring job. An authorized Rega dealer in SA, TX offered to do the job for me at a pricey sum of $$$. This is when I had my P7 - that is when I decdied to just use the extra funds and upgrade to the P9.

Jeff,
Have you ever tried to change the surrounds on the P9? If so, how difficult is it?

Tonepub
09-01-2011, 02:18 AM
I have never changed the surrounds on a p9, sorry.

Darius_Steinway B
09-03-2011, 09:16 PM
I am 36 hours into rediscovering the vinyl I grew up with, on a new Rega P9.... (currently weeping as a pile of joyful musical mush resplendent with new musical detail and transparency).....

So you get then idea that the magic of one's sound world is what drives me here.......

(system is Rega P9+broken in Benz Glider / Naim CDX2+XPS2 / 202+HiCap / 250.2 / Royd Albions)

Jerome W
09-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I may buy a P9 for fun.
I would like to use a MM for it and not an MC to get a different flavor from my MC cart on the Clearaudio TT.
Which MM cart would you buy for the P9.
I would like the Exact but it could be an undervalue to the TT. Maybe a Clearaudio Maestro...:scratch2:

Darius_Steinway B
09-04-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm 36 hours listening to new P9---!

A veritable rebirthing of the LPS I grew up with.... Large classical collection....!
Immensely impressed...
Weeping like a pile of nostalgic highest audiphile muscial mush...
Almost a religious experience.....

Masterlu
09-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Darius Steinway B... Welcome! :wave:

f1 fan
09-04-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm 36 hours listening to new P9---!

A veritable rebirthing of the LPS I grew up with.... Large classical collection....!
Immensely impressed...
Weeping like a pile of nostalgic highest audiphile muscial mush...
Almost a religious experience.....

Darius...welcome to AA. Congrats on your P9, it's a great tt.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Jerome W
09-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Helko Dave,
Which cart do you use on your Rega TT ?

Tonepub
09-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Glad you are enjoying the P9, it's a great table!

miner
09-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Jeff,
Any chance you could link the TA review of the P9?

Jerome W
09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
P9 with Exact MM cart ordered :banana: !

will also need a Gingko platform for this one....

Tonepub
09-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Jeff,
Any chance you could link the TA review of the P9?

It will be up in a day or so...

I'll let you guys know here.

I'll actually be posting all the Rega TT reviews.

f1 fan
09-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Helko Dave,
Which cart do you use on your Rega TT ?

Jerome...congrats on purchasing the P9:thumbsup: I use the Rega Exact cartridge:music: I'm presently trying to find a replacement mat instead of the supplied wool which can cause a amusing juggling act when stuck to the lp:no:

Dave

Jerome W
09-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Jerome...congrats on purchasing the P9:thumbsup: I use the Rega Exact cartridge:music: I'm presently trying to find a replacement mat instead of the supplied wool which can cause a amusing juggling act when stuck to the lp:no:

Dave

Hi Dave !
Thanks !
I ordered it with an Exact too. I love my Elys when I had the P3 so I should like the Exact too.
Tell me when you'll find a mat that works well !
Cheers,

cmalak
09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi Dave !
Thanks !
I ordered it with an Exact too. I love my Elys when I had the P3 so I should like the Exact too.
Cheers,

Congrats on the new Rega P9 Jerome :thumbsup:

f1 fan
09-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi Dave !
Thanks !
Cheers,

Jerome...at the moment I'm using a Ringmat Anniversary edition but wanting to try something better without breaking the bank. The supplied wool mat sticks to the lp when lefting off the 'table, happens to me all the time due to static and I've tried most everything. Other than this, Rega's are hard to beat.

Dave

Jerome W
09-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Congrats on the new Rega P9 Jerome :thumbsup:

Thanks Cyril !

Jerome W
09-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Jerome...at the moment I'm using a Ringmat Anniversary edition but wanting to try something better without breaking the bank. The supplied wool mat sticks to the lp when lefting off the 'table, happens to me all the time due to static and I've tried most everything. Other than this, Rega's are hard to beat.

Dave

Dave,
I remember this "sticky" mat with the P3 and my LP12 ! No big deal....

f1 fan
09-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Dave,
I remember this "sticky" mat with the P3 and my LP12 ! No big deal....

Jerome...I tried a Audioquest mat that was sticky but left a residue on the lp. That's when the Ringmat was suggested to me.

Puma Cat
09-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I've tried all sorts of mats with my Rega and always found that the felt one sounded the best. Maybe because of where I live, but I've never had any static cling issues at all, so Jerome, you might start with that and see where you end up. Somebody gave me one of those funky mats that is made out of the rubber shelving material, and it left marks on my LPs and my platter.

f1 fan
09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I've tried all sorts of mats with my Rega and always found that the felt one sounded the best. Maybe because of where I live, but I've never had any static cling issues at all, so Jerome, you might start with that and see where you end up. Somebody gave me one of those funky mats that is made out of the rubber shelving material, and it left marks on my LPs and my platter.

Stephen...that's great! I prefer the sound of supplied mat but in my case is a pita because of the static. How do you clean the mat on your Rega?

Dave

Puma Cat
09-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Dave,
I really don't clean it that often, but when I do I use one of those lint remover brush thingys that has something like red "directional" felt? I just brush it lightly with this. I think you might know what I am talking about. I wouldn't expect the mat to get very dirty because it is kept under the lid when the table is not in use, and when it is in use, it is covered by the record. My Rega Planar 3 is 31 years old and still looks new! Even the smoked plexi cover looks great. One thing about Regas is they are sure durable!

We're going a bit off-topic here, but here it is back in 2008, when I got back into audio after being out of it for 20 years; it has a Grado Blue on it as an iterim cartridge (my Grace had been sent in to Peter for retipping).

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/large/Rega%201.jpg

With it's ne plus ultra cool, black, anodized GrooveTracer Reference subplatter (BIG improvement):
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/large/Groovetracer-1.jpg

And with the GrooveTracer acrylic platter...
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/large/Groovetracer-3.jpg

Looks great and is absolutely beautifully made, but the stock glass platter and felt mat sounded better.

And to top it off...here it is with my SME V, which I put on while waiting for the Michell ot arrive from the distributor. This arm is overkill on this table, but I couldn't resist, and it does look way cool...

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/large/SME_V%20and%20Rega-1.jpg

Note the Stalking Leopard. No, this is not a new form of Kung Fu from Ip Man; the Stalking Leopard seeks out harmful resonances and kills them dead!

:D

MC352
09-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Nice write up on the table.

Jerome, Congrats on getting the P9!

Does that unit have a different sub platter than say the Rega P3?

Like Puma Cat I put that Groovetracer sub platter on my Rega.

f1 fan
09-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Dave,
I really don't clean it that often, but when I do I use one of those lint remover brush thingys that has something like red "directional" felt? I just brush it lightly with this. I think you might know what I am talking about. I wouldn't expect the mat to get very dirty because it is kept under the lid when the table is not in use, and when it is in use, it is covered by the record. My Rega Planar 3 is 31 years old and still looks new! Even the smoked plexi cover looks great. One thing about Regas is they are sure durable!

We're going a bit off-topic here, but here it is back in 2008, when I got back into audio after being out of it for 20 years; it has a Grado Blue on it as an iterim cartridge (my Grace had been sent in to Peter for retipping).

With it's ne plus ultra cool, black, anodized GrooveTracer Reference subplatter (BIG improvement):

And with the GrooveTracer acrylic platter...

Looks great and is absolutely beautifully made, but the stock glass platter and felt mat sounded better.

And to top it off...here it is with my SME V, which I put on while waiting for the Michell ot arrive from the distributor. This arm is overkill on this table, but I couldn't resist, and it does look way cool...

Note the Stalking Leopard. No, this is not a new form of Kung Fu from Ip Man; the Stalking Leopard seeks out harmful resonances and kills them dead!

:D

Stephen...beautiful 'tables my friend. I use a lint roller myself so was just wondering. I always wondered about the Groovetracer tweaks but never invested in them. I have a Sheer Audio Acrylic platter but prefer the stock glass as well. Sometimes it's best to leave a well designed and engineered product alone and just listen to music.

Dave

miner
09-07-2011, 02:38 PM
P9 with Exact MM cart ordered :banana: !

will also need a Gingko platform for this one....

I was having major isolation problems with my P9 (on a marble topped console) until I got my Gingko 14A platform - took care of all problems. I now play with my lid open (because of the nature of the platform to move slightly when trying to open the lid after playing).

Jerome W
09-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I was having major isolation problems with my P9 (on a marble topped console) until I got my Gingko 14A platform - took care of all problems. I now play with my lid open (because of the nature of the platform to move slightly when trying to open the lid after playing).

Thanks for the reference.
I will place my order when the P9 will be home.
Cheers

Puma Cat
09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Stephen...beautiful 'tables my friend. I use a lint roller myself so was just wondering. I always wondered about the Groovetracer tweaks but never invested in them. I have a Sheer Audio Acrylic platter but prefer the stock glass as well. Sometimes it's best to leave a well designed and engineered product alone and just listen to music.

Dave

Dave, I would agree with respect to the acrylic platter, but the GrooveTracer Reference platter is a BIG improvement. The noise floor literally drops through the floor....this improves the S/N ratio, and you can hear deeper into the music. My highest possible recommendation. Be sure to get the Reference version if you decide to get one, the sapphire jewel on the business end of the thrust bearing makes a big difference.

miner
09-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the reference.
I will place my order when the P9 will be home.
Cheers

Another picture of my P9 on my Gingko 14A platform.

Jerome W
09-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Nice write up on the table.

Jerome, Congrats on getting the P9!

Does that unit have a different sub platter than say the Rega P3?

Like Puma Cat I put that Groovetracer sub platter on my Rega.

Hi Chuck, thank you ! Sorry I missed your post.
No I don't know how is the subplatter compared to the P3.

What really shows how we are crazy here, is that when you order something and did not receive yet, you get many advices that put you in the starting blocks for upgrades ! and I don't even know how this table sounds right out of the box :D !

Jerome W
09-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Another picture of my P9 on my Gingko 14A platform.

Coooooooool ! :thumbsup:

f1 fan
09-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Dave, I would agree with respect to the acrylic platter, but the GrooveTracer Reference platter is a BIG improvement. The noise floor literally drops through the floor....this improves the S/N ratio, and you can hear deeper into the music. My highest possible recommendation. Be sure to get the Reference version if you decide to get one, the sapphire jewel on the business end of the thrust bearing makes a big difference.

Stephen...thanks for the info and I'll check into the subplatter. I just ordered an A23 mat to replace the supplied felt mat.

Dave

Puma Cat
09-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Stephen...thanks for the info and I'll check into the subplatter. I just ordered an A23 mat to replace the supplied felt mat.

Dave

Sounds good, Dave. From my experience, the subplatter will make a much bigger improvement than changing mats will. Still, I understand that static cling can be a hassle.

BTW, the GrooveTracer Reference subplatter is one of the few products I've seen that is SME-level build quality. I know the owner of GrooveTracer, Frank, and he works in the aerospace machining biz. I've been to his shop and have seen firsthand what he is capable of producing, and his skills, workmanship, and quality are off the charts. The guy is a perfectionist, and it shows in his product.

An other another note, you should see the TT he built for himself....amazing...full magnetic levitation bearing for the entire plattter, bearings, etc. Whoa. :drool:

f1 fan
09-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Stephen...what kind of clamp are you using on the Rega? Did it make a difference?

Dave

Puma Cat
09-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Dave,
Ha! I use the stock Michell clamp. It's a collet style clamp rather than the fancier screw-on Orbe style clamp that Dan just got with his Michell.

To be honest, I don't know if it makes a difference, and I've been wondering if the Rega might actually sound better w/o the clamp.

BTW, you can buy the Michell clamp by itself. I think Music Direct might sell it. In either case, you should be able to get it from Artech Electronics, the Michell
distributor.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I will do with my Rega Planar 3. I was hoping my buddy Paolo would buy it, but he's moving back to Italy, and can't use it in Europe. The old Planar 3 still sounds great, musical and engaging, but it's just not as good as the Michell. It doesn't have the warmth, weight, presence, fullness. Part of ths is due to the MM Grace, but probably partly due to the table. The SME III is a good arm, but I would expect the Rega arm or a current SME arm to be notably better (mostly because if improved stiffness and less bearing chatter). I already have a Clearaudio Concept as a mono-only deck, and it's a better TT than the Planar 3 (whether it's better than a P5 is another question). I may keep the Rega, or sell it to someone who wants to get into analog and vinyl, it would make an excellent starter deck for someone. I would like to have at least one Rega though, but a more modern one, like a P5 or better yet, a P9. Maybe put a Dynavector on it...but all that's pie-in-the-sky for now.

f1 fan
09-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Sounds good, Dave. From my experience, the subplatter will make a much bigger improvement than changing mats will. Still, I understand that static cling can be a hassle.

BTW, the GrooveTracer Reference subplatter is one of the few products I've seen that is SME-level build quality. I know the owner of GrooveTracer, Frank, and he works in the aerospace machining biz. I've been to his shop and have seen firsthand what he is capable of producing, and his skills, workmanship, and quality are off the charts. The guy is a perfectionist, and it shows in his product.

An other another note, you should see the TT he built for himself....amazing...full magnetic levitation bearing for the entire plattter, bearings, etc. Whoa. :drool:

Stephen...the static cling issue is terrible even with the Ring Mat so I had to do something. I've spoke to Frank at Groovetracer and like you he recommended I do the subplatter.

The Sheer Audio acrylic platter I have is not to spec like the Groovetracer platter which is identical in weight etc according to Frank. He suggested I use the glass platter with a mat that doesn't have cling issues and get the reference subplatter. I've already upgraded to the new Rega motor with the outboard power supply/speed control unit and Rega white belt.

Dave

Puma Cat
09-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Stephen...the static cling issue is terrible even with the Ring Mat so I had to do something. I've spoke to Frank at Groovetracer and like you he recommended I do the subplatter.

The Sheer Audio acrylic platter I have is not to spec like the Groovetracer platter which is identical in weight etc according to Frank. He suggested I use the glass platter with a mat that doesn't have cling issues and get the reference subplatter. I've already upgraded to the new Rega motor with the outboard power supply/speed control unit and Rega white belt.

Dave

Frank is steering you exactly right...

If you're going to get an acrylic platter, the GrooveTracer one is definitely the one to get.

Personally, I'm not sure about acrylic platters on Regas, and here's why:

The reason Roy Gandy used glass for the platter is because it is a hard material. One the key reasons a P9 sounds better than lower specification Rega is because the ceramic platter on the P9 is notably harder than glass. In fact, Gandy said he specifically used it because it was the hardest material he could find next to diamond!

So, to go in the complete opposite direction of what we (and Roy Gandy) knows to work best on Regas (that is, harder platter materials are better) with a softer platter material, acrylic, just does not make sense to me.

Or, I would imagine, would it make sense to Roy Gandy, either! ;)

f1 fan
09-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Frank is steering you exactly right...

If you're going to get an acrylic platter, the GrooveTracer one is definitely the one to get.

Personally, I'm not sure about acrylic platters on Regas, and here's why:

The reason Roy Gandy used glass for the platter is because it is a hard material. One the key reasons a P9 sounds better than lower specification Rega is because the ceramic platter on the P9 is notably harder than glass. In fact, Gandy said he specifically used it because it was the hardest material he could find next to diamond!

So, to go in the complete opposite direction of what we (and Roy Gandy) knows to work best on Regas (that is, harder platter materials are better) with a softer platter material, acrylic, just does not make sense to me.

Or, I would imagine, would it make sense to Roy Gandy, either! ;)

Stephen...I agree about the glass vs the acrylic however I will look into the Groovetracer Reference Subplatter. Interesting about the P9 ceramic platter. The P9 is a beauty.

Will check into the Mitchell clamp. That said I think if Rega wanted us to use a clamp they would have supplied one. I read somewhere the design of the 'table didn't need a clamp.

Since your friend can't use your Rega I would keep it until a P9 is in your system;);) that's cool you've got other flavors of arms and 'tables especially a mono version.

Dave

MC352
09-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Dave, for what's it's worth, I think the Groovetracer Sub Platter is the way to go.

f1 fan
09-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Dave, for what's it's worth, I think the Groovetracer Sub Platter is the way to go.

Chuck...thanks buddy, I agree.

Dave

Jerome W
09-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Guys, all your discussions make me starving to get the P9.
I'm very curious to compare it to my Clearaudio set up.
All these tweaks you're talking about show how much of excitment these tables bring and how popular they are.
I just don't get the point of an "upgrade" white belt from.....the company itself.
If this white belt is better than the regular one, then, why Rega does not supply it on standard for all their TT's ? That is not very respectfull to the customers to sell a 60 dollars belt as an "upgrade" that cost them probably 50 cents....I just don't get it....
To begin with, I ordered it with an Exact MM cart.
I read and heard everywhere that the Exact does not do it justice and that this TT really deserves a better cart, but that will be on my way in a few months if the Exact does not sound....."exact" to my ears.
I will probably try a Clearaudio Maestro after all the praise I read here. I would like to keep an MM in the system, to have 2 flavors. Maybe switch the MM to the Clearaudio and the MC to the Rega...
I don't know why, but to me, the Rega sound is associated with MM carts.
Less neutral and warmer than many MC carts. But I may be wrong here...
It will be interesting to compare the Clearaudio with a more expensive MC cart ( Talismann ) to the Rega / Exact.

Jerome W
09-09-2011, 12:00 AM
I looked for the weight of the REGA P9 on the web and was not able to find it.
Does someone hear knows it ?

I think that the biggest improvement and a Must do with these "light" tables is to use a suspended Gingko platform....

Puma Cat
09-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Jérôme, I really don't think you need a Gingko platform for this table. Put it on your rack and play it. If you've got an SRA, HRS, or Finite Elemente rack, so much the better.

The whole point is to keep the mass of the TT system as light as possible.

If you want some subseismic resonance isolation in the vertical dimension, put it on the lightest but stiff board (like a piece of 1 cm plywood) you can find resting on a bicycle inner tube inflated just enough to keep the valve stem off the inner tube. I made one up this way and it cost me five bucks tops, $4 for the inner tube. Note the inner tube under the plywood board my Planar 3 is resting on.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/large/Rega-1.jpg

A Gingko platform is nothing more than some squash balls between two sheets of acrylic.

Just my 2¢ (er, francs! ;))

dhizzle
09-09-2011, 05:27 AM
Dave,
Ha! I use the stock Michell clamp. It's a collet style clamp rather than the fancier screw-on Orbe style clamp that Dan just got with his Michell.

To be honest, I don't know if it makes a difference, and I've been wondering if the Rega might actually sound better w/o the clamp.

BTW, you can buy the Michell clamp by itself. I think Music Direct might sell it. In either case, you should be able to get it from Artech Electronics, the Michell
distributor.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I will do with my Rega Planar 3. I was hoping my buddy Paolo would buy it, but he's moving back to Italy, and can't use it in Europe. The old Planar 3 still sounds great, musical and engaging, but it's just not as good as the Michell. It doesn't have the warmth, weight, presence, fullness. Part of ths is due to the MM Grace, but probably partly due to the table. The SME III is a good arm, but I would expect the Rega arm or a current SME arm to be notably better (mostly because if improved stiffness and less bearing chatter). I already have a Clearaudio Concept as a mono-only deck, and it's a better TT than the Planar 3 (whether it's better than a P5 is another question). I may keep the Rega, or sell it to someone who wants to get into analog and vinyl, it would make an excellent starter deck for someone. I would like to have at least one Rega though, but a more modern one, like a P5 or better yet, a P9. Maybe put a Dynavector on it...but all that's pie-in-the-sky for now.

Puma Cat,
Do you use a matt on your Clearaudio Concept or do you go bareback? What about a clamp?

altbrewer
09-09-2011, 08:28 AM
I used a Gingko with my P7, and felt there were some trade-offs. The shelf I used was on a wall with a refrigerator on the other side, and the Gingko did a good job of controlling the vibrations when the compressor went on. On the other hand, it always felt like the turntable was a moving target every time I put a record on or moved the tonearm. I also thought the table was more susceptible to movement from direct contact while on the Gingko, so, as Miner does, I left the dust cover up while playing. I also didn't try to play single tracks. I think the Gingko is good for solving problems with a poorly isolated shelf, but I wouldn't have put up with it if my shelf hadn't vibrated.

miner
09-09-2011, 11:08 AM
I looked for the weight of the REGA P9 on the web and was not able to find it.
Does someone hear knows it ?

I think that the biggest improvement and a Must do with these "light" tables is to use a suspended Gingko platform....

Not sure but I think I weighted it to be 19 lbs. I use 4 balls with the 14A platform. Attached is a photo of the solution I tried before the Gingko - with no success (P7 table pictured)

Puma Cat
09-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Puma Cat,
Do you use a matt on your Clearaudio Concept or do you go bareback? What about a clamp?

Dhiz,
I ride bareback and use my Michell clamp. GRrrreaattt sounding table.

Fred007
09-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi,
My name is Louis and I am new on this forum.
A few weeks ago, I've trade a Rega P5 with Exact for a new P9 with the Alpheta.
After 30 hours of listening, I found the Alpheta very bright (agressive).
My preamp phono is a C-J Premier 15 S2. Of course the output is low. I have tried a MC Step-Up transformer without any improvement (ok for the output but not for the quality of the sound). Always too bright.
I think this cartridge is difficult to match.
The dealer have ordered the Rega Ios to lend me for a try.
I have two options:
A- keep the Rega Ios (if very good) and sell the C-J;
B- Change the cartridge
I would like to know if someone have experience this dilemma?
Thank you!