PDA

View Full Version : Entry-level 'table recommendations

esteban
08-26-2011, 11:02 AM
After more than 15 years of a strict digital diet, I'm trying to get back into analog. Even though I adore my Oppo 95, and look forward to the future of hi-res digital audio, I get the feeling that my new Prima Luna amp would offer a beautiful sinergy with a quality turntable. I am aware of the many $300-$500 models from Rega, Music Hall and Pro-Ject, but the ones I saw in the flesh offered disappointing build-quality and I'd like to start with something a little nicer instead, without crossing over to the crazy $$$ side. About $1500 or so. I would also need a phono preamp, and options with above-average isolation or some good-quality feet would be preferable, since the unit would have to reside, at least for the time being, on an Ikea shelf. I see that Pro-Ject, Marantz and Clearaudio have models in that price range. Of those, which one would you recommend, and what other options do you think are worth looking into? I would use the table mostly for progressive rock and soundtracks, and maybe some jazz. The Oppo will continue to handle the classical duties.

Thanks in advance for the comments.

rockitman
08-26-2011, 11:14 AM
I think the Clearaudio Concept package that includes the arm and a well matched cart would be a good fit in the $1500.00 range. The seller can setup and align the cart prior to shipping so that you could have a basically plug and play situation when you receive it. Might put your mind at ease not having to know how to set it up right away. Here's a nice guide for the beginner getting into analog.

A Beginner's Guide to Cartridge Setup (http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm)

Robert_Anderson
08-26-2011, 11:23 AM
I heard the Clearaudio setup in Boston recently and it is an amazing value for the price.

MC352
08-26-2011, 12:42 PM
You can get a new Rega RP3 with a cartridge for around $1100.
Tone Audio did a nice review on one -
First US Review: The Rega RP3 – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE (http://www.tonepublications.com/review/first-us-review-the-rega-rp3/)

esteban
08-26-2011, 03:49 PM
I think the Clearaudio Concept package that includes the arm and a well matched cart would be a good fit in the $1500.00 range. The seller can setup and align the cart prior to shipping so that you could have a basically plug and play situation when you receive it. Might put your mind at ease not having to know how to set it up right away. Here's a nice guide for the beginner getting into analog.

A Beginner's Guide to Cartridge Setup (http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm)

If I am not mistaken, the Marantz TT15S1 is based on that same Clearaudio model, correct? Marantz offers a 3-year warranty, I could get that one for a good price and I owned their products in the past and liked them a lot. Besides the cosmetics, are there any significant differences between both? I believe I read that Clearaudio actually MAKES the TT15S1...

80B
08-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Just like Chuck, I'm another very happy Rega customer in that price range. Jeff's review in Tone is about the latest example in the evolution of the TT Chuck and I have.

Tonepub
08-26-2011, 11:31 PM
The Rega and the Clear are both excellent. Either way, you can't go wrong.

cmalak
08-26-2011, 11:33 PM
If I am not mistaken, the Marantz TT15S1 is based on that same Clearaudio model, correct? Marantz offers a 3-year warranty, I could get that one for a good price and I owned their products in the past and liked them a lot. Besides the cosmetics, are there any significant differences between both? I believe I read that Clearaudio actually MAKES the TT15S1...

esteban...:no: The Marantz table is based on an earlier entry level Clearaudio turntable (I believe it was called Clearaudio Emotion). The new Clearaudio Concept turntable is their latest entry level turntable and by every account a phenomenal performer in its own right (not only for its price point). So just wanted to make sure you aware of the differences. Hope this helps.

Puma Cat
08-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Rega P5 or Clearaudio Concept is the way to go...

esteban
09-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. Turns out I got a great deal on a Pro-Ject RM-5.1 SE with a Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 cartridge, plus some nice accessories, including a Phono Box pre-amp. I should hopefully receive everything in about a week or so. I'll share my first impressions after a few days of use. Should be interesting, considering it's been such a long time since I owned a turntable...

In the meantime, anybody care to recommend any good quality 180gms. releases? Preferred genres are progressive rock, classic hard-rock, jazz and soundtracks.

Volks
09-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Congrtaz Esteban! :)

DonBattles
09-02-2011, 01:36 AM
OK, as someone who has just recently entered the work of turntables I initially didn't want to spend too mush cash on something I wasn't sure I would like. At the same time if you don't find something that's capable of some pretty good sound you could easily dismiss vinyl and move on. So in my case the first table I purchased was a lightly KABmodified Technics 1210MK5 and I thought it was pretty awesome. That being said I was hungry for more. So off went the 1210 and in came a modified VPI HW19JR. At this point I think I'm all in and I'm happy about it :)

metaphacts
09-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. Turns out I got a great deal on a Pro-Ject RM-5.1 SE with a Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 cartridge, plus some nice accessories, including a Phono Box pre-amp.

:thumbsup:

miner
09-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. Turns out I got a great deal on a Pro-Ject RM-5.1 SE with a Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 cartridge, plus some nice accessories, including a Phono Box pre-amp. I should hopefully receive everything in about a week or so. I'll share my first impressions after a few days of use. Should be interesting, considering it's been such a long time since I owned a turntable...

In the meantime, anybody care to recommend any good quality 180gms. releases? Preferred genres are progressive rock, classic hard-rock, jazz and soundtracks.

Robbie Robertson - How To Be Clairvoyant
Peter Wolf - Midnight Souveneirs
Warren Haynes - Man In Motion

Hondo
09-10-2011, 01:56 PM
I have recently purchased at Mc302 and a C50 and was looking for suggestions on a turntable. Thanks

Mikado463
09-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Congrats on the new rig ! as far as accessories.............how large is your vinyl collection ? .....been in storage for fifteen years ?......Do yourself a favor and get into a solid record cleaning and preservation routine. I'm a fan of RCM's (VPI guy myself, but there are others)........plenty of good threads of discussion on this !

Hondo
09-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I agree that is a factor i was trying to determine how much of an investment i would need to make to do vinyl right? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Rols
09-11-2011, 07:34 PM
OK, as someone who has just recently entered the work of turntables I initially didn't want to spend too mush cash on something I wasn't sure I would like. At the same time if you don't find something that's capable of some pretty good sound you could easily dismiss vinyl and move on. So in my case the first table I purchased was a lightly KABmodified Technics 1210MK5 and I thought it was pretty awesome. That being said I was hungry for more. So off went the 1210 and in came a modified VPI HW19JR. At this point I think I'm all in and I'm happy about it :)

Well, plan A would be to find a good local dealer and let him/ her try to wow you in a demo room, but if none are around you, buy a Rega TT, arm and cartridge.

Allan W.
09-25-2011, 12:20 PM
A quality used Technics 12XX. I know there is stigma to this multiple usage table but it’s plug, play and a great learning tool.

With a good cartridge and phono stage it preforms very well given the price. The owner does not need a weight gauge. The headshell is removal for easy cartridge setup. The arm can be lowered or risen without disassembly or tools.

I had a huge learning curve when I returned to vinyl and the 12xx helped me understand how minor adjustments can alter and improve the performance. With the addition of spare headshells I can change out a cartridge with in a minute. It’s the poor mans solution to the cost of multiple arm tables.

This year I changed the stock arm out with a Jelco 750 arm and lost the mechanical VTA adjustment feature and gained improved cartridge/arm compliance.

In the future, if you decide you want or need something more refined it can be sold for your investment.

Good luck.

chessman
01-19-2012, 11:24 PM
I can heartily reccomend the Clear Audio Concept for the beginner - as close to plug and play as it gets. Sounds amazing paired with a PS Audio GCPH phono stage. :)

lakesailor
01-20-2012, 12:36 AM

Congrat's on the new 'table ! As for vinyl suggestions....pretty much anything from Mo-Fi is hard to go wrong with.....good luck and enjoy your new purchase !