PDA

View Full Version : Linear tracker added

Removed
08-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Added the Clearaudio Linear Tracking tonearm to the Innovation table.....

jdandy
08-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Jeff.......Someone has a bad case of fever. :D

Looks fantastic. Looking forward to your impressions.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/turntables/11789d1314313497-linear-tracker-added-tt37.jpg

BearCubinNY
08-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Added the Clearaudio Linear Tracking tonearm to the Innovation table.....

Which Cart did you mate with it? Interested in your take as well. :thumbsup:

Reg

Removed
08-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks Dan.....analog fever :D

PHC1
08-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Jeff, awesome. Does it come with it's own setup protractor?

Still-One
08-25-2011, 08:00 PM
I haven't owned a Linear Tracker since my B&O 8000 back in the dark ages. They have come a long way.

Jim

Removed
08-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Which Cart did you mate with it? Interested in your take as well. :thumbsup:

Reg

Hi Reg....Clearaudio Concerto for the time being, I will see how that play's out then I will swap in a Ortofon Cadenza Black. I have a Benz LPs that weighs in at 16 grams that I started with but it's a bit too heavy for the Linear trackers, I'm finding anything in the 6-11 gram range is where you want to be.....

jwhite613
08-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Congratulations Jeff!!!

BearCubinNY
08-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Reg....Clearaudio Concerto for the time being, I will see how that play's out then I will swap in a Ortofon Cadenza Black. I have a Benz LPs that weighs in at 16 grams that I started with but it's a bit too heavy for the Linear trackers, I'm finding anything in the 6-11 gram range is where you want to be.....

I have a fat arsed Goldfinger on a TT-2. The only problem is that it doesn't play nice on anything that's not perfectly centered. Best of luck!

Reg

Removed
08-25-2011, 08:26 PM
I have a fat arsed Goldfinger on a TT-2. The only problem is that it doesn't play nice on anything that's not perfectly centered. Best of luck!

Reg

That GF is one heavy mutha!!......a few things to try is removing the positioning shaft, that will eliminate some mass also try moving the arm tube back this is what's done to get them to track better......I had the same issue with the 16 gram Benz LPs so I tried lower mass cartridges and bingo works like a charm......The Concerto V2 is 7 grams and tracks perfect and no issues with off centers......

Removed
08-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Jeff, awesome. Does it come with it's own setup protractor?

Serge.....yes it does and very simple too, you place the set up tool on the spindle and line up the stylus at one end and move the arm down to the other end and the stylus should land on the line....you pivot the arm until it lands on the line in all places, and when it does you get perfect tracking :thumbsup:

Removed
08-25-2011, 08:40 PM
I haven't owned a Linear Tracker since my B&O 8000 back in the dark ages. They have come a long way.

Jim

Jim.....that's for sure, the ealier linear trackers had lot's of issues and you crossed your fingures if it would work or not.

PHC1
08-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Serge.....yes it does and very simple too, you place the set up tool on the spindle and line up the stylus at one end and move the arm down to the other end and the stylus should land on the line....you pivot the arm until it lands on the line in all places, and when it does you get perfect tracking :thumbsup:

That's easy. :thumbsup:

Removed
08-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Congratulations Jeff!!!

Thanks Jeff...

BearCubinNY
08-26-2011, 05:10 AM
Thanks, those are very good suggestions Jeff. I ultimately made the choice to have the daVinci pick up the slack on my second arm. When the stars are aligned, the GF on the linear arm is magic easily besting the daVinci.

Reg

rockitman
08-26-2011, 08:34 AM
What are the setup challenges (if any) of the linear tracker compared to a radial arm ? I guess cart weight is a concern, anything else ? Do low compliance carts work well ? TIA

cmalak
08-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Jeff...congrats on the new arm :thumbsup: Can you share with us what you hear sonically that is different (both +s and -s) as compared to pivoted tonearms.

Removed
08-26-2011, 10:43 AM
What are the setup challenges (if any) of the linear tracker compared to a radial arm ? I guess cart weight is a concern, anything else ? Do low compliance carts work well ? TIA

I wouldn't say one is more difficult than the other, just different.....I do favor the alignment system more with the Linear Trackers as you have one alignment line to deal with, if the stylus lands on the line at both ends of the tool your good to go.....to me its much easier to see if your on the mark or not.......The super heavy carts like the Benz LPs or the Clearaudio GF are are at the extreme end when it comes to mass and can present a problem with off centers as Reg mentioned above.....yes there are a few adjustments you can do to help but IMO just use something a bit lighter and all will be good. Compiance wise I see no issues one would have......

rockitman
08-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks Jeff. Guess I will try one of those arms after I get my Master Innovation that will replace my Innovation Compact. I use the Universal for my radial arm with the VTA lift. Love that arm. Congrats on your setup. Looks and must sound great.

Removed
08-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Jeff...congrats on the new arm :thumbsup: Can you share with us what you hear sonically that is different (both +s and -s) as compared to pivoted tonearms.

Thanks Cyril.....really can't comment much as I need to spend time getting to know its sound.....the TT3 does have a big open sound, vocals are very good and maybe its strengths.....I have a half dozen cartridges I will be swapping and will comment more once I get through that.....Over all I'm liking the LT arm....

Removed
08-26-2011, 11:23 AM
rockitman.....I'm thinking too on the Master Innovation, since I own the Innovation I may just upgrade that table....I'm close to Musical Surroundings so once they get them in I will have to check them out.

rockitman
08-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks Cyril.....really can't comment much as I need to spend time getting to know its sound.....the TT3 does have a big open sound, vocals are very good and maybe its strengths.....I have a half dozen cartridges I will be swapping and will comment more once I get through that.....Over all I'm liking the LT arm....

yes, I would be most interested in what the differences you are hearing between the Universal and the TT3 after your better aquainted...:yes:

rockitman
08-26-2011, 11:25 AM
rockitman.....I'm thinking too on the Master Innovation, since I own the Innovation I may just upgrade that table....I'm close to Musical Surroundings so once they get them in I will have to check them out.

I'm hoping they are coming in soon...getting impatient waiting to drain my bank account...:tears:

Removed
08-26-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm hoping they are coming in soon...getting impatient waiting to drain my bank account...:tears:

Good tears though!.......I was told its a few months out

rockitman
08-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Good tears though!.......I was told its a few months out

ahhh, perhaps in time as my x-mas gift to myself ? I don't think my lady will fullfill this gift request...:scratch2:

Removed
08-26-2011, 12:12 PM
maybe a trip to her favorite jeweler could help

rockitman
08-26-2011, 12:22 PM
maybe a trip to her favorite jeweler could help

I'm afraid that will probably be the only satisfactory solution, in her mind... otherwise.... :64714-slap:

miner
08-26-2011, 01:36 PM
That is a beautiful table Jeff. I see a tangental arm in my future once I get ready to replace my Rega P9. Shall I start saving now?

Tonepub
08-26-2011, 01:56 PM
That's a nice arm. I was really impressed when I heard that here.

jdandy
08-26-2011, 02:56 PM
That is a beautiful table Jeff. I see a tangental arm in my future once I get ready to replace my Rega P9. Shall I start saving now?

Kevin.......Absolutely! Start saving. Spinning vinyl gets expensive quick.

http://www.purecashmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/money-stacks-1024x768.jpg

Removed
08-26-2011, 02:58 PM

Thanks.....the table hits the check book a bit more than the arm although for me its a much better than dropping this kind of coin on digital!

Removed
08-26-2011, 03:05 PM
That's a nice arm. I was really impressed when I heard that here.

I'm really liking it too, once you get it mounted its very easy to work on and get things dialed in......got to love the tracking tool, no more frying the eyeballs from those tiny protractor grids!

PHC1
08-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Jeff, so the big question is: Do you hear a meaningful improvement over a premium arm like the CA Universal?

Removed
08-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Serge.....A simple enough question but unfortunately there is no simple answer. It would be most difficult and nearly impossible to judge one being better than the other as your question sort of implies.....I will say the LT offers a big open sound and maybe more so than what I hear with the Universal but I still enjoy both and wouldn't give up either.....