PDA

View Full Version : CJ-premier 11-A with KT-88's

repman
08-22-2011, 11:40 PM
I have been running some Gold Lion KT-88's in place of 6550's in my CJ premier 11-A power amp.

They are biased properly and sound great, however I noticed the transformer seems to get much hotter than it ever did with the 6550's.

Do any of you have any experience with this combo ? are they drawing to much current for the transformer and therefore getting the amp to hot?

I do not want to damage the amp or is the increase in temp normal using a KT-88 and not to worry?

I appreciate any help you can lend on this , thanks

Puma Cat
08-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Repman,
I've used the Gold Lion KT88s on my Premier 11A for the better part of a year with no ill-effects. If the transformers ran warmer, I never noticed and the amp never seemed to be the worse for it. I preferred the Gold Lions to the stock 6550s, thought they sounded fuller and better overall. The bass was tighter with the 6550s, though, but cooler-sounding.

repman
08-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks Puma , I agree with you on the sound the bass is a little bit fatter but the midrange and highs seem to be smoother with more air.

Thanks for the input.

Puma Cat
08-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Puma , I agree with you on the sound the bass is a little bit fatter but the midrange and highs seem to be smoother with more air.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, your experiences mirror my own exactly. The 6550s were a bit more transparent, but a bit harder sounding. Not as musical as the GL KT-88s