PDA

View Full Version : Michell Gyro SE, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black

jdandy
08-13-2011, 10:54 PM
I am starting to seriously think about a new vinyl rig, and have the opportunity to pick up a Michell Gyro SE and a SME 309 tonearm. The moving coil cartridge I am considering is the Ortofon Cadenza Black. This package will most likely go into my main system using the phono stage in the McIntosh C1000P preamplifier.

Any feedback on the Michell Gyro SE turntable, the SME 309 tonearm and the Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge would be beneficial.

PHC1
08-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Doesn't David have a very similar setup? I can vouch for the SME arm having owned a V and the 309. :D

cmalak
08-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Doesn't David have a very similar setup? I can vouch for the SME arm having owned a V and the 309. :D

:yes: I believe David (1KW) has the Michell Gyro SE with the SME 309 and Stephen (PumaCat) has the Michell Gyro SE with SME V tonearm. So both of them should be able to give you their perspectives. David I believe has the Shelter 501 mk II I on his SME 309 whereas Stephen has the Koetsu Urushi Vermilion. I don't believe I have noticed any AAers with the Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge but there are 20K members so I am sure there has to be someone who has either heard or who currently owns the cartridge :thumbsup: Good luck Dan.

jdandy
08-14-2011, 12:33 AM

Serge.......Yes he does, with the Shelter 501 moving coil. I want to go up the ladder from there, and everything I have heard from users, and what I have read tells me the Ortofon Cadenza Black with the boron cantilever and Shibata tip is an amazing performer with much of the tA90 echnology. I was hoping to hear from a SME/Cadenza Black user on how that combination works and sounds. Jeff (A/V Solutions) uses the Cadenza Black, but I think it is on a Graham arm.

How difficult is it to set up the SME arm? I know the arm comes with templates for overhang and cartridge akignment, but I also know those templates leave a lot of room for error.

jdandy
08-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Cyril.......Thanks for reminding about Stephen. I may PM him a few questions.

PHC1
08-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Serge.......Yes he does, with the Shelter 501 moving coil. I want to go up the ladder from there, and everything I have heard from users, and what I have read tells me the Ortofon Cadenza Black with the boron cantilever and Shibata tip is an amazing performer with much of the tA90 echnology. I was hoping to hear from a SME/Cadenza Black user on how that combination works and sounds. Jeff (A/V Solutions) uses the Cadenza Black, but I think it is on a Graham arm.

How difficult is it to set up the SME arm? I know the arm comes with templates for overhang and cartridge akignment, but I also know those templates leave a lot of room for error.

The SME arms are very easy to work with. I personally use Dr.Feickert protractor (original version) but SME template will get you very, very close. The arm slides back and forth and there are no slots in the headshell, only round screw holes. :thumbsup: Piece of cake.

Removed
08-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Dan......I've had the cadenza on all my arms and currently it resides on my SME V, before that it was on my 309 arm and before that on my Origin Live Illustrious arm....it works great in alot of different combos. Only reason I pulled it off the 309 is I run a mono cartridge on that arm now and since I have less than a dozen mono LPs I wanted the Cadenza on the better arm and the same for the Origin Live arm as I run a Benz Gullwing on that now....BTW SME arms are a walk in the park to set up.

Jerome W
08-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Dan,
When you'll get this, I will have one more reason to drive to your home from Orlando !
( we should come back to Florida next summer ).
So the Micro Seiki will go back to the studio ?

Puma Cat
08-14-2011, 03:30 AM
I am starting to seriously think about a new vinyl rig, and have the opportunity to pick up a Michell Gyro SE and a SME 309 tonearm. The moving coil cartridge I am considering is the Ortofon Cadenza Black. This package will most likely go into my main system using the phono stage in the McIntosh C1000P preamplifier.

Any feedback on the Michell Gyro SE turntable, the SME 309 tonearm and the Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge would be beneficial.

Dan,
I'd be more than happy to provide you with any details about the Gyro SE and the SME, but I can safely say...just get it. You will not be disappointed.

SME arms work great on Michell TTs (John Michell used to show an SME V on the Gyro at trade shows), and Michell worked closely with SME when designing the Michell...they're pretty close to each other in England. I don't know anything about the Cadenza Black but I can tell you that the TT/arm sounds great with the Shelter and absolutely stunning with the Urushi Vermilion.

Jeff of A/V solutions is right, SME arms are a snap to set up...they are so easy they will spoil you for pretty much anything else. And their build quality is off the charts.

Puma Cat
08-14-2011, 03:33 AM
The SME arms are very easy to work with. I personally use Dr.Feickert protractor (original version) but SME template will get you very, very close. The arm slides back and forth and there are no slots in the headshell, only round screw holes. :thumbsup: Piece of cake.

Yep, piece of cake is right.