PDA

View Full Version : Constellation Audio Altair & Hercules gear

Still-One
08-08-2011, 05:59 PM
I just received the Sept '11 issue of TAS today and Robert Harley has crowned another pre/power set from Constellation Audio as the new King of Hill. The Altair linestage ($60k) and Hercules mono blocks ($140k) don't come cheap but since the development was directed by the same guy who brought us the Continuum Turntable at $150k it could have been expected.

According to the article the design team included John Curl, Bascom King, Demian Martin, and James Bongiorno headed by Peter Madnick.

I guess Boulder, dartZel, Solution, TAD, BALabo etc are yesterdays news. Maybe there will be deals out there. :lmao:

Jim

Still-One
08-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I just read thru the 2 page sort of addendum to the review titled "Inside Cost-No-Object Design and Execution". This was actually a more entertaining read that discussed how the design team developed or implemented some very unique ways for tackling issues of linestage and amplifier design.

JIm

howiebrou
08-08-2011, 11:56 PM
I just received the Sept '11 issue of TAS today and Robert Harley has crowned another pre/power set from Constellation Audio as the new King of Hill. The Altair linestage ($60k) and Hercules mono blocks ($140k) don't come cheap but since the development was directed by the same guy who brought us the Continuum Turntable at $150k it could have been expected.

According to the article the design team included John Curl, Bascom King, Demian Martin, and James Bongiorno headed by Peter Madnick.

I guess Boulder, dartZel, Solution, TAD, BALabo etc are yesterdays news. Maybe there will be deals out there. :lmao:

Jim

I heard Costellation last year. Hmmmm. I was not that impressed unfortunately although the gear looks nice, like Boulder on Steroids. I'll stick my my Soulution for now thanks! :D

howie

Still-One
08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
I heard Costellation last year. Hmmmm. I was not that impressed unfortunately although the gear looks nice, like Boulder on Steroids. I'll stick my my Soulution for now thanks! :D

howie
Howie
I haven't heard any of their gear yet so I cannot comment on the sound compared to other top products.
It seems that one of the reasons Harley raved about the products so much were their lack of coloration or signature. That alone might not make them a leading contender from those who lean towards McIntosh gear or tube devotees.
I have only enjoyed a 20 minute listening session with Solution gear so you are better qualified to make comparisons.

Jim

JSCC
08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Howie
I haven't heard any of their gear yet so I cannot comment on the sound compared to other top products.
It seems that one of the reasons Harley raved about the products so much were their lack of coloration or signature. That alone might not make them a leading contender from those who lean towards McIntosh gear or tube devotees.
I have only enjoyed a 20 minute listening session with Solution gear so you are better qualified to make comparisons.

Jim

Jim,

Audio Note Singapore now represents this brand. Gears coming in soon for demo. If you happen to come this way again, we can go listen (Howie, you can too, plus the Kondo Ongaku also available).

Cheers!