PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into turntables

tony-w
08-05-2011, 12:23 AM
I've been away from using turntables for a long time, and would like to get back into using them. I still have a few old Thorens tables, and a Kiseki cartridge left from before. Both tables have a lot amount of hum, and I'm wondering if rewiring them might solve the problem.

drjjpdc
08-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Tony,
I don't know how electrically capable you are (because I am not) so forgive me if I tell you something you already did. Try using a cheater plug to see if that changes anything. Also make sure you try different grounds; like behind the pre-amp or on a metal pipe.
Also check out this website, it is very clearly written.

http://www.padrick.net/Hi-Fi/PhonoHum.htm

PMCH
08-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I had some hum with my turntable/cartridge when I purchased it. Tried cheater plugs on everything, grounded everything and still had hum. Ended up there was a problem with the cartridge. That was fixed and I am hum free now. It did drive me crazy though. With my old turntable I had hum when the ground wire from the turntable was near the cable tv coax wire. When I redirected the ground wire I was hum free.

I recently got back into vinyl. I had forgotten what I had been missing. I now prefer it to CD's, SACD's and computer audio. Glad I saved many of my old records especialy the old Mofi ones. I really like the newer recorded audiophile records that are out now.

Good luck with your hum problem.