PDA

View Full Version : Project: Paschetto AE-2008 table

PHC1
07-14-2011, 10:33 PM
For my 4th table, I have decided to explore the vintage flavor of turntables and thought this would be a great place to start. The Paschetto Analog Engineering 2008 is basically a modified Empire 208 table. The review was intriguing, especially that the table was reviewed with Shindo gear which is where I am headed. I'll give it a try! At $2500, it can always be used as a backup if things don't work out. I contacted Mike Paschetto today and he will begin building a table for me. :thumbsup: Like suggested in the review, for good synergy, I will outfit it with an SME 309 and a Denon 103R with the Auditorium 23 step up tranny specifically designed for the 103R cartridge that has been discussed, reviewed and spoken of very highly. This will be a fun project that won't break the bank. :D

Here is the review that I came across and the table caught my eye. 6moons audio reviews: Paschetto Analog Engineering 2008 (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/analogengineering/208.html)

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/analogengineering/hero1.jpg

two dot
07-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Serge,

great choice... I have considered this as a serious contender...

The Empire table really turn me on....

I hope that this will be a wonderful table for you

chessman
07-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Serge, congrats! Pretty and pretty interesting, too.

PHC1
07-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Stephen, thank you. Your system looks great! Shadow & Light « pitch perfect audio (http://pitchperfectaudio.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/shadows-light/#comment-852)

PHC1
07-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Serge, congrats! Pretty and pretty interesting, too.

Randy, the table will fit the Shindo, Tannoy, old school theme. :thumbsup: I like the pics in the review from 6moons.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/analogengineering/hero_holiday.jpg

chessman
07-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Randy, the table will fit the Shindo, Tannoy, old school theme. :thumbsup:

And I get to say "I told you so." :D

Masterlu
07-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Interesting... Shades of the old Troubador. Enjoy your new spinner Serge. :yes:

PHC1
07-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Interesting... Shades of the old Troubador. Enjoy your new spinner Serge. :yes:

Thank you Ivan. The Empire 208 was actually made by Empire Scientific and those guys are long out of analog and speaker market but are still around. The 208 was their first model I believe back in the 50's.

Empire Scientific - Guaranteed to Perform! (http://www.empirescientific.com/)

cmalak
07-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Serge...congrats on your new turntable. Looks very interesting. I have read in various interviews that Harry Weisfeld of VPI designed the VPI Classic with tables like the Empire 208 as inspiration. He has some 30 vintage tables or so and draws a lot of design insipiration from the vintage classics. This looks like a wonderful rebuild of the Empire 2008. Enjoy! Looking forward to your comments.

turntable
07-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Sweet table Serge.:yes: I have always liked the look of the Empire. Really interested in how it sounds.

These are the tables Harry of VPI used for his inspiration when designing the Classik.

next up, a vintage top of the line Japanese DD table. cheap as chips compared to current tablesd and built for a lifetime. :thumbsup:

PHC1
07-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Sweet table Serge.:yes: I have always liked the look of the Empire. Really interested in how it sounds.

These are the tables Harry of VPI used for his inspiration when designing the Classik.

next up, a vintage top of the line Japanese DD table. cheap as chips compared to current tablesd and built for a lifetime. :thumbsup:

Thanks Shane, I'll share my findings with the Empire. Any suggestions on the direct drive that is not too expensive?

turntable
07-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks Shane, I'll share my findings with the Empire. Any suggestions on the direct drive that is not too expensive?

define not too expensive.:D

cheaper from Japan, however freight from can be a expensive.

PHC1
07-15-2011, 12:21 AM
define not too expensive.:D

cheaper from Japan, however freight from can be a expensive.

I don't know, say under $4k??? I do already own a direct drive from Japan. The Technics SL1200. :D

turntable
07-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Hmmm. That is harder as suply can be tough.

Yamaha GT2000
Kenwood L-07D
Pioneer Exclusive P3 & P10 of course :thumbsup:
Luxman PD444
Sony PS-X9
Technics SP10 mk2-ned plinth
Denon DP80 - need plinth

First things, enjoy your Empire:music:

Alberto
07-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Great choice Serge, I still have and love my Empire 398

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GTngtl65T48/RYSTxLUfKYI/AAAAAAAAAhg/Cg_PL1a7BJM/s912/DSC_0040.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SWztp7yStL4/RYST3LUfKbI/AAAAAAAAAsE/KjEHdZ10fZw/s800/DSC_0043.JPG

Alberto

Jerome W
07-16-2011, 02:23 AM
Congrats Serge !
Looking forward to your review...I knew that you would not stay with the Technics...
Nice pics Alberto :thumbsup: !

PHC1
07-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Update.

The project is moving along.

I've located a minty, preowned SME 309 arm to save some $$$. :thumbsup:

Denon 103R cartridge has been ordered from Needledoctor. Here is one of the reviews of this popular cartridge. Denon DL 103R MC Phono Cartridge on 10 Audio (http://www.10audio.com/denon_103r.htm)

Mike Paschetto has contacted me and we discussed the color of the stain we are going to use for the base. I asked for Minwax Red Chestnut # 232 stain. I think this will be a good match for the speakers and the built in I have in that room. Wood Stain and Finish Colors | Wood Stain Colors (http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/)

Alberto
07-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Update.

The project is moving along.

I've located a minty, preowned SME 309 arm to save some $$$. :thumbsup:

Denon 103R cartridge has been ordered from Needledoctor. Here is one of the reviews of this popular cartridge. Denon DL 103R MC Phono Cartridge on 10 Audio (http://www.10audio.com/denon_103r.htm)

Mike Paschetto has contacted me and we discussed the color of the stain we are going to use for the base. I asked for Minwax Red Chestnut # 232 stain. I think this will be a good match for the speakers and the built in I have in that room. Wood Stain and Finish Colors | Wood Stain Colors (http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/)

Cool. Can't wait to see the pics and hear the listening impressions. It's going to be a killer "modern vintage" system.

Alberto

Tonepub
07-19-2011, 07:36 PM
The Denon is an excellent cartridge. One of my favorites under $1500.

1KW
07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Congrats Serge on your new turntable. Have you considered using that top of the line cartridge you were trying to sell ?

PHC1
07-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Cool. Can't wait to see the pics and hear the listening impressions. It's going to be a killer "modern vintage" system.

Alberto

Alberto, this is a fun project. :yes: I'll share my findings when it all comes together. :thumbsup:

PHC1
07-19-2011, 08:04 PM
The Denon is an excellent cartridge. One of my favorites under $1500.

That's what I keep hearing. I know it dates back to 1960's and was made for the Japanese broadcast use.

The new "R" uses much finer copper coils over the 103 version. I'll probably get the 103 version just for fun and comparison. :scratch2:

I guess the Denon 103 even deserved a dedicated step up tranny from Keith Aschenbrenner of Auditorium 23. :D

6moons audio reviews: Keith Aschenbrenner of*Auditorium 23 (http://6moons.com/audioreviews/auditorium23/23_3.html)

PHC1
07-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Congrats Serge on your new turntable. Have you considered using that top of the line cartridge you were trying to sell ?

David, I'll save the Ortofon A90 for a future project. :yes:

chessman
07-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Serge, great stain choice. :)

Tonepub
07-20-2011, 12:34 AM
I really like the Zu version of the Denon 103... When my Zu Technics 1200 gets here, that will be the first cart to try!

Jerome W
07-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Serge,
Did you read my post about the 103M, the 103 mod by The Expert Stylus Company ?
I know 2 people with TT's costing around 20k euros who use the DL103. They both tried "high end" carts and came back to the 103 for the beauty of its mids :scratch2:
My Clearaudio Talismann is based on the 103 also, but in an ebony case, and I must say that the mids are pretty good....

1KW
07-20-2011, 07:18 AM
The Denon 103 sounds like a audiophile bargain.

PHC1
07-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I really like the Zu version of the Denon 103... When my Zu Technics 1200 gets here, that will be the first cart to try!

Let us know your thoughts.

PHC1
07-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Serge,
Did you read my post about the 103M, the 103 mod by The Expert Stylus Company ?
I know 2 people with TT's costing around 20k euros who use the DL103. They both tried "high end" carts and came back to the 103 for the beauty of its mids :scratch2:
My Clearaudio Talismann is based on the 103 also, but in an ebony case, and I must say that the mids are pretty good....

I must have missed it Jerome. I'll look for it. :thumbsup:

Jerome W
07-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I must have missed it Jerome. I'll look for it. :thumbsup:

It's here Serge : http://audioaficionado.org/phono-pre-amps-cartridges/9078-do-you-know-dl103-m-expert-stylus-company.html

If you want to contact the Expert Stylus Co, just let me know, I have their email.

Cheers,

ehoove
07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Serge, I am following this tread due to my interest in modding a 208. I just mounted a Jelco 750d on my modified Thorens TD150AB running a DL103r and should have it up and spinning tomorrow. The SME 309 is an interesting arm and on my radar as well. This should be interesting!!!!
Regards,
Jim

Tonepub
07-20-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking of going with the 3009 that Im having rebuilt... Might be a really cool vintage combo. 309 should be nice too. Easy to swap carts!

dpod4
07-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Serge,
I'm interested in hearing what you think of the AE 208 especially compared to the Shindo. I am waiting to receive my Atma-Sphere 208 (similar mods to Paschetto 208 done by Ralph Karsten) with Triplanar VII arm. Going to put a Soundsmith Ebony Voice on it. When I was a teenager I had the Empire 698 table with Grado cartridge into NAD and Hafler to Maggies. Wanting to relive my youth...

Tonepub
07-25-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm really looking forward to this table. Might provide that added dose of warmth that some records desperately need!

PHC1
07-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Update. Mike has finished my table and should be shipping it shortly. :thumbsup:

I think it came out great and should fit right in with the rest of the gear. Good looking table. :thumbsup:

jwhite613
07-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Serge... It Looks great. Looking forward to your impressions.

Alberto
07-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Update. Mike has finished my table and should be shipping it shortly. :thumbsup:

I think it came out great and should fit right in with the rest of the gear. Good looking table. :thumbsup:

I like it, good choice on the wood stain.

I look forward to hearing your opinions on how it sounds - since you've had some pretty fine tables in your system.

Alberto

PHC1
08-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Well, the Paschetto table is up and running. I received the SME309 tonearm today and put it all together with the Denon 103R.

I like working with SME arms, makes it so much easier. :yes: The seller did not include any tools or the mounting template but the Dr.Feickert protractor made the job a breeze.

Well, I can certainly understand why the reviewer was impressed. The table is a smoothie. :music: It does kind of remind me of older VPI tables, a bit on the darker side, a bit more laid back and easy on the ears. At the same time the SME/Table did bring about a healthy kick to the bass and I expected that from the SME arm. The Denon 103R sounds a bit happier with the SME arm, it sounds a bit smoother all around. It would probably be even happier with an even heavier effective mass arm. :scratch2:

Not much to this table. It is very simple. Plenty of mass in the platter, it's got good torque from the Papst motor, there is a on/off button and you place the belt on a different pulley when it's time for 45's. That's all there is to it. :D It feels like it will last forever and the only thing that needs to be done is oiling the bearing once a year. :yes:

I've played probably half a dozen records today and I really like it. The good quality recordings sound excellent but the table does take the edge off the poorer quality ones and makes it much easier to digest the music. It's a pretty good fit for my system for now. :yes:

Here is the table in action. This recording is actually pretty raunchy, even for vinyl and I never liked listening to it before on the other tables including the Technics. :no: The Paschetto somehow manages to make it more smoother and easier on the ears, more organic. :thumbsup:

‪Paschetto AE-2008 turntable‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBRdbaCO4Dw)

Alberto
08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
It looks great Serge, and I love the video. You nailed the most important reason why I am sticking with my vintage Thorens - it's makes all recordings sound good - even the "raunchy" ones.

Alberto

PHC1
08-05-2011, 10:44 PM
It looks great Serge, and I love the video. You nailed the most important reason why I am sticking with my vintage Thorens - it's makes all recordings sound good - even the "raunchy" ones.

Alberto

Thanks Alberto! I was hoping this table would be forgiving and smooth and that's exactly how it sounds. It will be a perfect second table/back up in my system. :yes: I can listen to the music I like but usually didn't because they just didn't sound all that great. I was playing AC/DC records earlier and actually enjoyed it for once. :thumbsup: Mission accomplished. :yes:

Alberto
08-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I was playing AC/DC records earlier and actually enjoyed it for once. :thumbsup: Mission accomplished. :yes:

You are "back in black" :D ... and green.

Since I got the Shindo+Tannoy setup I haven't heard a single peep from Diana Krall or any of the other audiophile goddesses. My Chesky CDs are at the bottom of the bin. Now that I can indulge in Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and any and all prog rock records - regardless of their sonic qualities - I can't stop listening to music.

Mission accomplished indeed!

Alberto

PHC1
08-05-2011, 10:59 PM
You are "back in black" :D ... and green.

Since I got the Shindo+Tannoy setup I haven't heard a single peep from Diana Krall or any of the other audiophile goddesses. My Chesky CDs are at the bottom of the bin. Now that I can indulge in Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and any and all prog rock records - regardless of their sonic qualities - I can't stop listening to music.

Mission accomplished indeed!

Alberto

We're on the same page brother! :yes:

cmalak
08-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Serge...congrats on the table and great video. Are you going to get a record weight? It will probably help flattening out the LPs and it will couple better with the platter. Hope you're enjoying the new toy :thumbsup:

PHC1
08-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Serge...congrats on the table and great video. Are you going to get a record weight? It will probably help flattening out the LPs and it will couple better with the platter. Hope you're enjoying the new toy :thumbsup:

Cyril, I will. :yes: I am enjoying it. :thumbsup: Thanks!

f1 fan
08-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Serge...I'm late to the party, it's a beauty of a 'table. Looking forward to reading your comparison to the Garrard 301 when it arrives;);)

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

PHC1
08-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Serge...I'm late to the party, it's a beauty of a 'table. Looking forward to reading your comparison to the Garrard 301 when it arrives;);)

Dave

Wow, Dave I have to borrow your crystal ball someday! I didn't even know there was a Garrard/Shindo table in my future! :D

f1 fan
08-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Wow, Dave I have to borrow your crystal ball someday! I didn't even know there was a Garrard/Shindo table in my future! :D

Hey buddy, I think you'll like it once you see and hear one:):) hey, one only lives once...

Dave

PHC1
08-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Hey buddy, I think you'll like it once you see and hear one:):) hey, one only lives once...

Dave

I'm only joking of course. I'd love to own a Shindo table! Hopefully someday soon. :thumbsup:

f1 fan
08-25-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm only joking of course. I'd love to own a Shindo table! Hopefully someday soon. :thumbsup:

Serge...you will, meantime enjoy the music.

Dave

dpod4
09-10-2011, 05:11 PM
My Atma-Sphere 208 arrived with Triplanar VII arm and I put a new Soundsmith Ebony The Voice cartridge on it, with a Basis record clamp. Rich, meaty, resolute sound, with super low noise floor. I am impressed with what Ralph Karsten did to this table from the 1960s. Put the picture of the table as my avatar.

Formerly YB-2
01-14-2019, 08:32 PM
.........'ghosts of Xmas past' (old thread). Serge........ are you out of vinyl these days? Found this thread by looking to see if Paschetto was still in business.

PHC1
01-14-2019, 09:07 PM
.........'ghosts of Xmas past' (old thread). Serge........ are you out of vinyl these days? Found this thread by looking to see if Paschetto was still in business.

Still have a Technics SL1200MKIV and a great Luxman phonostage that's built in but I don't have my vinyl collection anymore and don't have any plans to start building another collection. :no:

The Paschetto was a great performer for the money though. :yes: The website is up so maybe he is still building them? http://www.analog-engineering.net/ae2008.htm

Kal Rubinson
01-14-2019, 10:04 PM
Thank you Ivan. The Empire 208 was actually made by Empire Scientific and those guys are long out of analog and speaker market but are still around. The 208 was their first model I believe back in the 50's. Yup. Late 50's. I bought my first 208 in 1961 (date etched on the underside of the pulley cover). Since then, I have had 3 and rebuilt/modified them all.

Of course, now that I am out of vinyl forever, I have none but I do have some spare parts, if anyone is interested.

Formerly YB-2
01-15-2019, 08:51 PM
Serge - thanks for the link. Looks like he is only building the model that Rega copied (visually).

Kal - out of vinyl forever. So sad. Next thing we know you'll tell us you're only into multi-channel listening (more than stereo, that is).