PDA

View Full Version : 150 w stereo version of the ART mono amp

Rafale
07-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Messrs. Conrad and Johnson are threatening with a few new valve components for late this and early next year. Difficult to say what those may be, but one of them could (and should) be a single-chassis stereo version of their brilliant ART mono power amplifiers. Imagine a 150W per channel beast with same sonics as the big monoblocks, but costing not much more than half the price! Higher sensitivity of the large number of good modern loudspeakers, combined with small to medium size living rooms and... we already perfect partner for THE GAT and other preamplifiers of similar abilities. :thumbsup:

from the UK importer website...

Puma Cat
08-03-2011, 03:22 PM
C-J turns their product portfolio over pretty quickly it seems these days, so I am not surprised if they made a stereo version of the ART, I guess it will have as you say, approx 150 Wpc (my guess is 140 Wpc).

Half the cost of an ART amp...I guess that means it will cost approx $15,000, then.

Be interesting to see what they come up with.

turntable
08-03-2011, 08:01 PM
cj currently have no tube amplifier between the LP125m and the ART amplifier.

The one chassis version of the ART makes sense from every viewpoint. I wonder if they would make it possible to then monoblock them like the premier 140 a few years back.

Puma Cat
08-05-2011, 12:51 AM

The one chassis version of the ART makes sense from every viewpoint. I wonder if they would make it possible to then monoblock them like the premier 140 a few years back.

Shane,
I don't think so...when I had a Premier 11A, I bought a second one with intention of doing just that, strapping them to mono. C-J said they could do it, but I was warned by a friend who had tried it with C-J tube amps not to do it because in his and his friends' cases, they had very poor success.

It has to do with the differences in how the transformers for a monoblock and a stereo tube amp are configured. A monoblock uses an intrinsically different approach with respect to how the transformers are utilized than a stereo tube amp. Trying to strap a stereo tube amp for mono can potentially result in undesirable effects, including instability.

It's different for transistor amps, where in some designs you can convert to mono very easily with virtually no adverse affects.

turntable
08-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Stephen

That is why I only mentioned the prem140. That was the only one actually designed to be monoblocked, however even with that I think you needed to send back to cj.

yes, with prem11a, I could see it not being too sucessful

Funny, Mcintosh designed the MC2102 to be monoblocked very easily, they are superb

Puma Cat
08-05-2011, 02:38 AM
Ah, so. Didn't know that about the Premier 140.

Regarding the Premier 11A, as you well know there's that big middle transformer that is not present in Premier 8As or Premier 12s.

In either case, re the Pr140 or the MC2102, there must be something about the transformer design that permits this.

Your Premier 8As must be awfully good, though, especially with the Teflon cap upgrade.

Puma Cat
08-05-2011, 02:46 AM

Agreed. There's quite a gap now that the LP70S and LP140Ms are gone. :sigh:

The LP series....that was one fine line of amps as Rafale knows; now only the 275s are left. :cry:

I'm listening to my LP70S as I write this and it's 's wonderful...'s marvelous...

turntable
08-05-2011, 04:02 AM
Agreed. There's quite a gap now that the LP70S and LP140Ms are gone. :sigh:

The LP series....that was one fine line of amps as Rafale knows; now only the 275s are left. :cry:

I'm listening to my LP70S as I write this and it's 's wonderful...'s marvelous...

Have a look at the cj website. There are no LP275's either:icon_thumbsdown:

Rafale
08-05-2011, 06:05 AM

The good piece of news it is because we find now LP140M and LP275M in attractive prices
Philippe

Puma Cat
08-05-2011, 09:52 AM

WTF?

Oh, man...

Tonepub
08-05-2011, 11:44 AM
The 275's morphed into the ART amplifiers. The design is very similar with minor upgrades from the ART to the LP275.

Coppy
08-05-2011, 11:47 AM
As the folks at C-J will tell you... monos are just better sounding than stereo amps. It's not only the output transformers, it's the inevitable cross talk on a single chassis and most important, two channels pulling on the single power supply at the same time. Bet you can but LP140s and 275s on AG from certain C-J dealers factory refurbed with new warranties.

Enjoy...

Rafale
01-07-2012, 04:26 PM
CES 2012...launch of the baby ART 2x140w stereo ....approximately 25 000 USD ?

Coppy
01-07-2012, 05:24 PM
CES 2012...launch of the baby ART 2x140w stereo ....approximately 25 000 USD ?

Just got an e-mail... CJD will be at CES in Vegas this month with the new single chassis ARTsa. 140 wpc. Retail is $18,500. You can order in February.

Who will be the first? :yes:

Bob

Rafale
01-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Just got an e-mail... CJD will be at CES in Vegas this month with the new single chassis ARTsa. 140 wpc. Retail is $18,500. You can order in February.

Who will be the first? :yes:

Bob

thanks Bob, no photo of the animal this day ?

turntable
01-07-2012, 07:19 PM
thanks Bob, no photo of the animal this day ?

here you go :D:D

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/lasvegas2010/images/stories/igallery/daily_coverage___january_8/lightbox/conrad_johnson.jpg

Rafale
01-07-2012, 07:24 PM
here you go :D:D

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/lasvegas2010/images/stories/igallery/daily_coverage___january_8/lightbox/conrad_johnson.jpg

:tresbon:

Myles B. Astor
01-07-2012, 07:35 PM
The 275's morphed into the ART amplifiers. The design is very similar with minor upgrades from the ART to the LP275.

Basically the only difference between the ART and 275 is the driver section where cj using the 6H30 was able to lower the stage's impedance. That reduces the amp's noise floor, etc. Otherwise the amps are identical.

turntable
01-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Basically the only difference between the ART and 275 is the driver section where cj using the 6H30 was able to lower the stage's impedance. That reduces the amp's noise floor, etc. Otherwise the amps are identical.

Really Myles? Why the huge price increase then?

Can a LP275 be upgraded to the ART driver stage?

I must admit, the ART chassis is just so much classier looking - almost timeless beauty :yes:

Puma Cat
01-07-2012, 08:26 PM
FWIW, Jeff Dorgay mentioned to me in Sept 2010 from a conversation he had with Lew Johnson that C-J was being told that they were not pricing their SOTA/statement products high enough compared to their competition. They were being seen as not being as good (high end?) or as valued as their competition because they were not priced comparably to their competiition. I don't know who it was that was telling C-J to increase the prices of their statement products, though.

As a photographer, I know that you have to price your photographs at a certain level for your customers to perceive the value in them; in other words, if you give your photos away for free. your customers see them as valueless because they don't cost anything.

turntable
01-07-2012, 08:46 PM
FWIW, Jeff Dorgay mentioned to me in Sept 2010 from a conversation he had with Lew Johnson that C-J was being told that they were not pricing their SOTA/statement products high enough compared to their competition. They were being seen as not being as good (high end?) or as valued as their competition because they were not priced comparably to their competiition. I don't know who it was that was telling C-J to increase the prices of their statement products, though.

As a photographer, I know that you have to price your photographs at a certain level for your customers to perceive the value in them; in other words, if you give your photos away for free. your customers see them as valueless because they don't cost anything.

I hope it wasn't ARC :D Their REF 250 is 25k - a lot less than cj. ARC sell bucketloads more than cj.

cj have a 35k ART, then free falls to the 12k LP125SE. 25k is a still LOT of $$ for an amplifier. the guys with the real $$ probably won't bother with ARC or cj regardless.

??????

Puma Cat
01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I hope it wasn't ARC :D Their REF 250 is 25k - a lot less than cj. ARC sell bucketloads more than cj.

cj have a 35k ART, then free falls to the 12k LP125SE. 25k is a still LOT of $$ for an amplifier. the guys with the real $$ probably won't bother with ARC or cj regardless.

??????

+1, Shane.

My guess is C-J is a much smaller company than ARC; IIRC, C-J only has something like 17 or 19 employees?

Rafale
01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
No information filtering of CES 2012 and concerning CJ ?

Puma Cat
01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Not yet, though it only started yesterday for audio...let's wait to see what the week brings...

microstrip
10-24-2015, 08:35 PM

Just downloaded the schematic of the cj LP275M at the cj owners forum. It is dated 11/10/2006 and shows 6n30II tubes in the driver positions and 6922 at the input . Was this an official change?

Coppy
10-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Adding to Myles' comment above... I believe the ART Monos also have enhanced output transformers that have a wider bandwidth than the 275s.