PDA

View Full Version : AVID Volvere SP & phono preamp

rscotth
07-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Greetings,

I'm running my AVID direct into my McIntosh C2300's phono stage and then to my amps. I've been thinking about a dedicated phono preamp, but I'm not sure if I'll gain anything, as the phono section on the 2300 is very fine. Can anyone explain to me if this change will yield any significant improvement, and if so, specifically, or am I better off keeping things as is? I was going to budget about $5K on this upgrade, but don't want to make the investment just for the sake of satisfying my LuFlu.

Thanks for your feedback.............Scott

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

rscotth
07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Anyone?

Masterlu
07-13-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm no expert on this topic, but with my limited experience I have found great improvements to be had with a dedicated phono pre.

hkval
07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Serge(PHC1) is selling a EAR/Yoshino 324P phono stage for less than 1/2 price. He seems quite impressed with it and I believe is quite familiar with McIntosh phono amps. He is an excellent source.

rscotth
07-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys. I'll read that review.

rscotth
07-13-2011, 12:26 PM
I'll give it dome thought. Thanks for the reply.

rscotth
07-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Some.

Masterlu
07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I've sold quite a few Ear Phono Pre's over the years, everyone has loved them.

rscotth
07-13-2011, 12:39 PM
You guys are really tempting me.

Masterlu
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Some more info:

http://ear-usa.com/834reviews.htm

rockitman
07-13-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm no expert on this topic, but with my limited experience I have found great improvements to be had with a dedicated phono pre.

Unless of course you have the good fortune to own this linestage/phono combo:

darTZeel NHB-18NS
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dartzeel2/hero1.jpg

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dartzeel2/hero_back3.jpg

review:
6moons audio reviews: darTZeel NHB-18NS (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dartzeel2/preamp.html)

Tonepub
07-13-2011, 02:46 PM
The more expensive one is quite good. The 834 isn't any better than what's in your 2300. The 834 is a great phono stage for the money, but seriously, I'd give the new AVID pulsus a listen if you can, it's a pretty big step up from the 834. SS, super quiet and more than enough gain to use with your Dynavector. $1899. I've been listening for a couple of months and very impressed. Another step up that will be a perfect match with your 2300 is the new Parasound for $2295.

cmalak
07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Jeff...I believe the EAR phono stage that Serge is selling which is being recommended to Scott is not the 834P ($1795 I believe) but the 324 ($5895 I believe). The 834P is EAR's tubed entry-level phono stage. The 324 is all SS and is at the level of their other top-end tube phono (88BP).

rscotth
07-13-2011, 03:20 PM
The more expensive one is quite good. The 834 isn't any better than what's in your 2300. The 834 is a great phono stage for the money, but seriously, I'd give the new AVID pulsus a listen if you can, it's a pretty big step up from the 834. SS, super quiet and more than enough gain to use with your Dynavector. $1899. I've been listening for a couple of months and very impressed. Another step up that will be a perfect match with your 2300 is the new Parasound for $2295.

Thanks Jeff. I'm glad you chimed in. I think I heard you were going to do a write up on the new AVID Pulsus in the next issue? I was also going to give Bes a call, at MD, to discuss with him, as he directed me to the Volvere and Dynavector. Thank you all for the great feedback. Thus phono preamp stuff can be quite confusing and I need others experience to guide me.

Scott

cmalak
07-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks Jeff. I'm glad you chimed in. I think I heard you were going to do a write up on the new AVID Pulsus in the next issue? I was also going to give Bes a call, at MD, to discuss with him, as he directed me to the Volvere and Dynavector. Thank you all for the great feedback. Thus phono preamp stuff can be quite confusing and I need others experience to guide me.

Scott

Scott...see my comment above. The phono pre jeff was commenting on is the 834P not the EAR 324 which is the one Serge is selling and in a completely different class/category. Just fyi...

rscotth
07-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Cyril, thanks for the clarification. Still in research mode.

Masterlu
07-13-2011, 03:37 PM

Scott

Scott... FWIW, do check out the Aesthetix Rhea which I own, use & love. Even though it may be more than your budget, I'll make it fit if you choose that route. ;)

rscotth
07-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Scott... FWIW, do check out the Aesthetix Rhea which I own, use & love. Even though it may be more than your budget, I'll make it fit if you choose that route. ;)

Will do. Thanks Ivan.

PHC1
07-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Scott, I would not call myself a McIntosh phono stage expert, I've only tried the C500 and C2200 built ins but the EAR/Yoshino is in a league of its own and rightfully so for the money. If you have any interest, there are a couple of reviews out there about the 324P that will shed more light as to why it can outperform the "typical" built ins. That I was impressed with my 324P over the years is an understatement. :yes: I only hope that the built in Shindo MM/MC phono stage (gear I am after) is at least close in performance.

ear324 (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue6/ear324.htm)

EAR 324 phono preamplifier | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/phonopreamps/704ear/index.html)

Tonepub
07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Yes, to set things straight, the 324P is excellent - and considerably more money than the 834. This unit is quite a bit better than the on board stage in your 2300. However, I stick to my guns on the 834. Excellent phono stage for $1500, but very tubey and very warm. If you love that quality, you will enjoy it, but it really doesn't offer more than the 2300.

PHC1
07-13-2011, 04:24 PM
I should probably keep my 324P just in case and to be used as a reference benchmark until I am sure whatever comes next can actually outperform it... :scratch2:

Tonepub
07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I should probably keep my 324P just in case and to be used as a reference benchmark until I am sure whatever comes next can actually outperform it... :scratch2:

Not a bad move... The 324 is damn good and quite flexible too.

howiebrou
07-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Scott,

As a fellow Avid User, I have enjoyed the sound from the Nagra VPS for quite a while (I think msrp is 6k) and now see a big improvement with the Audio Research Ref 2 Phono.

The Nagra might be worth checking out. It is a little warm but not too much and the Avids are very dynamic tables and are a nice fit. I agree with the Jeff that you should also consider the Avid Pulsar Phono stage as well.

howie

rscotth
07-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks Howie for your feedback. I spoken with a few people this afternoon and got some excellent direction. Will keep you posted. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm pondering.