PDA

View Full Version : Turntable Isolation Platform

hkval
07-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Any advice or recommendations on a "reasonably priced" isolation platform for a moderately priced turntable? Or, is it even necessary if on a very solid piece of furniture? There is also a double sheetrock wall between the speakers and the turntable location.
Thanks,
Howard

eddiel
07-10-2011, 07:56 PM
What type of t/t do you have. It may make a difference. I'm no expert but I have read that some t/ts work well with rigid heavy supports where as others work better with rigid but light supports.

cmalak
07-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Howard...the best thing to do is to wall mount a TT platform as that will take all potential vibrations from footfalls out of the equation (if that is an option for you). If not, then the answer does depend on what type of TT design you have (suspended vs. mass-loaded) and how much your existing furniture/rack already absorbs/dampens vibrational energy. Some swear by a thick solid wood cutting board, such as: http://whatscookingamerica.net/CuttingBoards/EndGrainBoard.jpg

Others go for the Gingko platforms (as an example: http://gingkoaudio.com/cloud12.html), and others go for much higher tech (read higher cost) air bladder options. In my current apartment, the floor is suspended and so any footfalls migrate up the rack pretty quickly, but the Basis turntable's suspended design deals with the vibrations effectively so I have nothing underneath my TT. I guess the answer is it depends :dunno: Best thing to do is once you purchase your tt before you mount a cartridge on the tonearm, is just place the tt on your rack or wherever you plan placing it, and walk around pretty vigorously. If you see any play in the tonearm then you know you will need some kind of isolation device. I am sure others more knowledgeable than me will chime in but hope that helps.

hkval
07-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Actually, that does help. I have a Clearaudio Concept on order with their MC cartridge. I think I will play with it for a while and see if there might be a need for a platform. My floors are poured cement with tile in every room. The more I look into Vinyl, the more complicated but challenging it becomes.

Masterlu
07-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Actually, that does help. I have a Clearaudio Concept on order with their MC cartridge. I think I will play with it for a while and see if there might be a need for a platform. My floors are poured cement with tile in every room. The more I look into Vinyl, the more complicated but challenging it becomes.

You my friend, are Preaching to the Choir. :)

cmalak
07-10-2011, 08:51 PM
You my friend, are Preaching to the Choir. :)

Oh yeah, Howard, ofcourse you can go with Ivan's solution which is the HRS rack :yes: You can run a jack hammer right next to the HRS and there will be no vibrations reaching your TT on top of the HRs but ofcourse that level of design comes at a price.

(ok I might be exagerating with the jack hammer anecdote but that is one hell of a rack :thumbsup:)

AndyPandy
07-10-2011, 10:56 PM
The more I look into Vinyl, the more complicated but challenging it becomes.

Amen to that. Its a never-ending journey into the heart of audio darkness....or at least has the potential to be. But oh ..when you get it right..oh my.

PHC1
07-10-2011, 11:00 PM

Howard, I had great results with the gingko cloud 14 platform when I had my clearaudio table.

Gingko Audio Products (http://www.gingkoaudio.com/products.html)

PHC1
07-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I thought I posted about the Gingko. Here it is. http://audioaficionado.org/vinyl-accessories/1231-gingko-cloud-14a-platform-mini-review.html

Jerome W
07-11-2011, 02:04 AM
I have a Gingko platform under my Clearaudio TT. It is custom made by Gingko for the Level II. And the Gingko is on the top shelf of an Atacama Equinox pro SE.
My floor is suspended like Cyril's. When I walk around strongly, the Gingko is unable to prevent the arm fron bouncing. But the overall sound seems smoother and has more bloom than without the Gingko.
I'm happy like that because I don't run around or dance while listening to vinyl. I seat and listen.
With my LP12, resting on a 30 dollars light table, I could jump everywhere and the stylus was not disturbed, but that is an other story....

hkval
07-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Serge: That is a great review and perfect pictures. Gingko Cloud is now at the top of my list.
Thanks,
Howard

PHC1
07-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I have a Gingko platform under my Clearaudio TT. It is custom made by Gingko for the Level II. And the Gingko is on the top shelf of an Atacama Equinox pro SE.
My floor is suspended like Cyril's. When I walk around strongly, the Gingko is unable to prevent the arm fron bouncing. But the overall sound seems smoother and has more bloom than without the Gingko.
I'm happy like that because I don't run around or dance while listening to vinyl. I seat and listen.
With my LP12, resting on a 30 dollars light table, I could jump everywhere and the stylus was not disturbed, but that is an other story....

Jerome try less balls and also play around with their position to distribute the weight of the table differently. That also has an effect on sound.:yes: More balls, more stiffness and sounds becomes more aggressive because the whole system (table/platform) becomes more resonant and lively, going with less, better distributed weight and the sound relaxes. My old room also had suspended floors and the Gingko platform would gently sway laterally from heavy footsteps but no tonearm bounce. :thumbsup:

PHC1
07-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Serge: That is a great review and perfect pictures. Gingko Cloud is now at the top of my list.
Thanks,
Howard

Howard, be sure to order the right one for your table weight and play around with one less ball and their positions, it makes a noticeable difference. The Gingko platform is "tweekable". :yes:

PHC1
07-11-2011, 10:04 AM

Oops, I missed this part. Howard, try the TT first. IF you have issues, the Gingko is a great way to go. You may not need it!

Removed
07-11-2011, 10:29 AM
The 14A and 14B are the models for lighter weight tables like the Concept....Vihn uses a wood insert inside the top cover plate so each ball will be in the 5-7 lb load rating.

You also want to start out will the balls located at or near where the feet of the table contact the Gingko plinth. I also can tell you the Concept likes a bit more rigid platform under that table.....

Jerome W
07-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Jerome try less balls and also play around with their position to distribute the weight of the table differently. That also has an effect on sound.:yes: More balls, more stiffness and sounds becomes more aggressive because the whole system (table/platform) becomes more resonant and lively, going with less, better distributed weight and the sound relaxes. My old room also had suspended floors and the Gingko platform would gently sway laterally from heavy footsteps but no tonearm bounce. :thumbsup:

I'll try that Serge !
Thanks !

Masterlu
07-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Howard... Tomorrow is the Big Day, your new TT arrives! :banana:

wgrr
07-17-2011, 10:02 AM
I thought I posted about the Gingko. Here it is. http://audioaficionado.org/vinyl-accessories/1231-gingko-cloud-14a-platform-mini-review.html

Very nice platform.

I went cheap and built my own. First I built a plinthe out of 1X red oak. The TT is a vintage TEAC TN400 which is built like a tank. It was sold without a base. Then I mounted practice arrow points on the four corners of the base. I bought three marble floor tiles from a big box lumber yard that were on sale. I sat those on neoprene isolator pads with cork centers. The result was better than I expected. It looks pretty good too. As soon as I can post pics I will. Oh, the tone arm is a first generation Micro-Seiki MA505. A good high mass tone arm. I suspect the TT was made for TEAC by Micro-Seiki. I bought both of them new in 1975 for $600. I had just graduated from high School.

KingRT
07-22-2011, 08:55 PM
I have a Clearaudio Concept on order with their MC cartridge. becomes.

I hope you like yours as much as I enjoy mine!
The silent parts are silent.

hkval
07-22-2011, 09:39 PM
The turntable is here but I am currently awaiting a phono amp. It is 4M away from the C1000 so the phono amp is necessary.

jdandy
07-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Howard.......This is the first I have heard of you using an external phono preamp. Hmm. So you won't be able to enjoy the amazing tube based phono stage in the C1000T. Which phono preamp have you selected?

hkval
07-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Howard.......This is the first I have heard of you using an external phono preamp. Hmm. So you won't be able to enjoy the amazing tube based phono stage in the C1000T. Which phono preamp have you selected?

Dan: I wish I could use the C1000T's phono section but the run, 4M appears too long. I have chosen the PS Audio because of Balanced Outputs, controls and price. I tried a phono preamp with unbalanced out and the hum and hiss were extreme. I am hoping this will work.

chessman
01-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Any opinions on using a Symposium Svelte Shelf and Rollerblock 2+ under a Clear Audio Concept? (Other than why would you put isolation that costs that much under it? :D)

Masterlu
01-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Any opinions on using a Symposium Svelte Shelf and Rollerblock 2+ under a Clear Audio Concept? (Other than why would you put isolation that costs that much under it? :D)

That will work nicely. :yes: