PDA

View Full Version : Got my Uni-Protrator today-FINALLY!!!

Puma Cat
07-01-2011, 12:20 AM
After many months of waiting and some shipping snafus, I finally recevied my Uni-Protractor today.

As has been reported, the quality of the construction are excellent, with one caveat I will touch on later.

The materials are well-packed in plenty of foam with custom cutouts. Assembing the protractor fairly straightforward, with the instructions being reasonably good, but not superb. The vernier adjustment for each protractor template (e.g. each geometry or arm) is way cool, and allows very precise geometry adjustment per the needs of each protractor.

I ordered one SME V protractor, and a DIN and IEC protractor for both Baerwald and Stevenson, for a total of five protractors. The protractors are made of mirror backed acrylic, with laser etched alignment lines which are made with excellent precision with respect to the parallel and perpindicular lines. The acrylic arm that sets offset comes with a pointed tip pin, or a rounded tip pin with two reticles, one black and one white, to be used depending on the color of your arm.

Below are some pix of protractor and it's setup:
The protractor plate, arm template, and spindle plug. Each plug inserts into the arm template, but has slightly different spindle I.D. to ensure a snug fit with your spindle. This ensures precision geometry with respect to the positioning of the template.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Uni-2.jpg

The vernier adjuster that optimally positions the template for a specific arm or geometry.
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Uni-3.jpg

The assembled protractor with the spindle to pivot arm and reticle.
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Uni-4.jpg

Closeup of the reticle and arm:
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Uni-5.jpg

As the SME has a peaked, triangular shaped bridge over the pivot point and makes it difficult to keep the adjustment arm perfectly centered over this pointed "roof", I removed it and decided to use the pointed alignment pin:
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Uni-5.jpg

The screw here is directly over the pivot point of the arm.

Here is the pointed pivot pin being aligned with the pivot point; apologies for the motion blur, the shutter speed was low, but you get the idea. I had to spend a while ensuring the pointed tip was perfectly centered, which it is not in this pic:
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/websize/Uni-7.jpg

And here is the final setup, which the arm/cart in position on the template, the magnifying glass in place to check the position of the stylus on the template:
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Uni-8.jpg

The one caveat I have is the that templates are made from acrylic, and in the process of moving the stylus around on the template to get it to fit perfectly into the very small indentation that represents the perfect alignment and position of the stylus in the template, the diamond stylus scratches up the template a bit, which might make it hard to ensure that the desired stylus indentation stays perfectly intact, or that your stylus does not get caught in the template that might have a scracth on it.

I will post impressions as I get some listening in on it with this setup.

chessman
07-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Congrats! But that sure looks daunting ... :sigh:

Puma Cat
07-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Congrats! But that sure looks daunting ... :sigh:

It's actually pretty straightforward.

Removed
07-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Puma Cat....How much difference between the supplied SME tractor and the Uni?

Puma Cat
07-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Jeff,
I would say I had to move the arm in it's rack and pinion track forward about 1 to 1.1 mm to bring the stylus into the line and "hole" in the UNI compared to the SME protractor. As you know, there's quite a bit of slop with the SME protractor's pivot hole. There isn't any with the UNI.

Removed
07-01-2011, 01:47 AM
Thanks Stephen....looks nice

Puma Cat
07-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Jeff, if you would like to borrow it sometime to check it out, just let me know and I can drop it off after work.

Removed
07-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Stephen....much appreciated maybe in the next week or so, thanks.

Puma Cat
07-01-2011, 02:35 AM
No worries....anytime after next week will be fine...

Jerome W
07-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Stephen,

Thanks a lot for sharing.
It looks like a great tool.
My question now is : how did the sound improve when you adjusted your arm position ?

Puma Cat
07-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Stephen,

Thanks a lot for sharing.
It looks like a great tool.
My question now is : how did the sound improve when you adjusted your arm position ?

Better definition and detail, imaging is better defined, including space between instruments, more solidity, but the sound is just a smooth and musical as before. It's clear Koetsus benefit from getting them just right.

Puma Cat
07-01-2011, 07:04 PM
So, gang, I've been playing with the UNI protractor a bit more and have figured out how better to use it. The magnifying loupe and mirrored template work really well together.

Here is a pic showing the correct configuration of the loupe lens and view frame for my table:

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Uni-12.jpg

One thing I figured out today is that it is best to set the focus of the loupe lens on the template etched lines without the arm over the template first. You do this by looking through the frame and tilting the loupe forward or back until the stylus pit and the etched lines snap into focus. Ideally, you will be able to have the stylus pit and the single line that is "north" (in front) of and in line with the stylus pit both in focus. Behind the stylus pit and to either side are another series of etched lines. One function of these is to ensure that you view the cantilever perfectly straight on (no parallax error). Because there is a mirrored reflection of these etched lines, you can ensure that there is no parallax error when viewing the cantilever from perfectly straight on from the front because if you view the canti/cartridge from any other position than perfectly in front, the reflected etched lines on the sides will have their mirror images shifted to one side or another. Very well thought out.

Shown here is a view of the loupe set up, but as the camera has trouble focusing it's lens through another lens some distance away, the cartidge appears out of focus. You can sort of make out the series of etched lines, though.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Uni-13.jpg

Once the cartridge is put into place on template and the stylus rests in the stylus pit, you can check very easily to see if the cantilever is pefectly in line with the "north" line. The etched lines to the sides ensure you're viewing the canti from dead straight on. If the north line is in alignment with the cantilever, you're good to go as your offset is perfect as is your horizontal alignment (HTA).

Here's a pic showing as best I can the cartridge in focus through the lens. This is not exactly what your eye sees, but it gives you an idea. What you see with your eye is much clear and you can clearly see if the canti is in alignment with the north reference line.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/Uni-14.jpg

Something that I learned from this with respect to SME arms is is that if you get the offset precisely dead-on using the Uni-protractor, the HTA (cantilever alignment) is also perfectly on.

This speaks volumes to the precision of SME arms. :thumbsup:

Jerome W
07-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Good Job Stephen !
Well done !

turntable
07-01-2011, 09:50 PM
That 2nd production run took a while to arrive.

I see you are using Daniel's own special alignment.

That is what I have been using for my Exclusive P3. I think I may change it to Stevenson to see what musicasl change it brings.

cmalak
07-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Stephen...how comprehensive is the manual/instructions how to use? I had my table set up by my dealer's analog expert but I feel the need to learn how to do my own set-up and optimization.

jwhite613
07-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Stephen...how comprehensive is the manual/instructions how to use? I had my table set up by my dealer's analog expert but I feel the need to learn how to do my own set-up and optimization.

+1

turntable
07-01-2011, 11:15 PM

It is extremely good.
Simple direct language.
Step by step instructions with good quality photos to help along the way.
21 pages plus 1 page for each template.

That said, this is overkill for a cartridge setup tool, but worth it for the obsessive compulsive.:D

If you have only have one table and arm, the Mint tractor will do just as good a job.

Cheers

cmalak
07-01-2011, 11:25 PM
It is extremely good.
Simple direct language.

That said, this is overkill for a cartridge setup tool, but worth it for the obsessive compulsive.:D

If you have only have one table and arm, the Mint tractor will do just as good a job.

Cheers

Thx Shane :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
07-01-2011, 11:51 PM
That 2nd production run took a while to arrive.

You can say that again...

I see you are using Daniel's own special alignment.

That is what I have been using for my Exclusive P3. I think I may change it to Stevenson to see what musicasl change it brings.

Shane,
What is Daniel's "special alignment"? I used the SME V template Daniel made for me.

Cheers, Stephen

Puma Cat
07-01-2011, 11:54 PM
It is extremely good.
Simple direct language.

Cheers

Agreed; I would go with a Mint protrator too for the one-off setup.

turntable
07-02-2011, 12:17 AM
You can say that again...

Shane,
What is Daniel's "special alignment"? I used the SME V template Daniel made for me.

Cheers, Stephen

Check with Daniel, but I do not think his SME V alignment is a direct copy. It is his alignment specs based on him listening to the SME V and a like SME arms and creating his own alignment. That is why it was probably a little different to the SME jig.

That is what he has done for most of the " specific " alignment options he has.

Does SME use standard alignment of B, L or S?

Puma Cat
07-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Check with Daniel, but I do not think his SME V alignment is a direct copy. It is his alignment specs based on him listening to the SME V and a like SME arms and creating his own alignment. That is why it was probably a little different to the SME jig.

That is what he has done for most of the " specific " alignment options he has.

Does SME use standard alignment of B, L or S?

I know that for my SME III it wanted Stevenson alignment. My guess is it would be the same for the V.

Whatever Daniel is doing for the SME V template, it sure seems to be working.

turntable
07-02-2011, 01:50 AM
I know that for my SME III it wanted Stevenson alignment. My guess is it would be the same for the V.

Whatever Daniel is doing for the SME V template, it sure seems to be working.

When you feel the need, try the Stevenson. I just tried and and with my tonearm, a significant difference in the location of the stylus. quite a bit more back from Daniel's own alignment. very different sound as well.

Puma Cat
07-02-2011, 01:57 AM
When you feel the need, try the Stevenson. I just tried and and with my tonearm, a significant difference in the location of the stylus. quite a bit more back from Daniel's own alignment. very different sound as well.

For the better, or just different?

Have you figured out which you prefer yet, Shane?

turntable
07-02-2011, 02:12 AM
For the better, or just different?

Have you figured out which you prefer yet, Shane?

Daniel,'s alignment seems to be more Germanic - more top end energy and slightly more forward and lead instruments seem to be in the front.

Stevenson is more coherent and a little smoother.

I am more aware of the location of the cartridge on the LP, for better or worse with Daniel's.

Now take this with a large grain of salt, as I also ave a new cartridge so I may also be hearing that change as well.

Stevenson is better on the last 3rd, however that has always been its strength, not so strong right in the middle.

Interesting to say the least.

Puma Cat
07-03-2011, 01:20 AM
Daniel,'s alignment seems to be more Germanic - more top end energy and slightly more forward and lead instruments seem to be in the front.

Stevenson is more coherent and a little smoother.

I am more aware of the location of the cartridge on the LP, for better or worse with Daniel's.

Now take this with a large grain of salt, as I also ave a new cartridge so I may also be hearing that change as well.

Stevenson is better on the last 3rd, however that has always been its strength, not so strong right in the middle.

Interesting to say the least.

Shane,
Are you using IEC or DIN Stevenson geometry?

Puma Cat
07-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Well, I went record shopping today, and picked up some nice premium re-issue titles, including a couple Speakers Corner and Music Matters 45 rpm Blue Notes. More on those later...

Right now, I'm listening to a Speakers Corner reissue of Ella Fitzgerald's Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie and the system sounds phenomenally good. It sounds like Ella is in the room.

I don't think I've ever heard my turntable sound this good (part of this could be due to the fact that I think the CT-5 is finally "getting there" with respect to burning in it's Teflon caps).

Stunning LP, BTW.

Jerome W
07-03-2011, 01:30 AM
Wow guys....
I love analog much more than digital but all this sounds like "work" to me and I indeed prefer my work because I understand what I do :D

Puma Cat
07-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Actually, Jerome, using the UNI-protractor is quite a straightforward process. The protractor actually makes getting a cartridge set up just right faster and less laborious, as well as more accurate with respect to the optimal geometry, especially with SME arms.

If you were here as a guest right now you would be really enjoying the deliciousness (as Alberto would put it) with the Dynaudios, Koetsu, C-J tube gear and Ella...:music:

Jerome W
07-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Actually, Jerome, using the UNI-protractor is quite a straightforward process. The protractor actually makes getting a cartridge set up just right faster and less laborious, as well as more accurate with respect to the optimal geometry, especially with SME arms.

If you were here as a guest right now you would be really enjoying the deliciousness (as Alberto would put it) with the Dynaudios, Koetsu, C-J tube gear and Ella...:music:

Oh I don't doubt It a second Stephen ! you also have a great cart I believe.
And yes, your detailed pics and process shows clearly than aligning a cart is simpler with this protractor.
I will upgrade my arm in a few months.
I was thinking of the Universal from Clearaudio but I could go for the SME V if the french SME importer comes to my home to set it up.
Or I will change the whole TT and get a LP12SE....
I will have to show him your thread.

Puma Cat
07-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Oh I don't doubt It a second Stephen ! you also have a great cart I believe.

The Urushi Vermilion is pretty luscious, I have to say. I've finally discovered Koetsu magic!

I will have to show him your thread.

Please do. :thumbsup:

turntable
07-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Shane,
Are you using IEC or DIN Stevenson geometry?

DIN Stephen

Gives a little more room for the inner grooves. I think SME arms are based on DIN.

Puma Cat
07-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks, Shane.

turntable
07-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks, Shane.

Stepehen now, you gotta let me know what you hear with the different settings :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
07-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Will do, Shane.

Puma Cat
07-08-2011, 03:16 AM
Well, after over a week of listening to the Koetsu Vermilion with the setup from the UNI, I have to say that I am thrilled with how good the cartridge is sounding. The improvement in weight, detail, imaging, soundstaging, bass weight, all the good stuff, is markedly better. There is a more weighty, punchy, and fuller presentation with all the other wonderful things that the better Koetsus are famous for. Lately I've been particularly enamored of listening to female vocals....they're quite special.

Asterisk
07-14-2011, 01:25 AM
puma Cat, Impressive alignment tool you have there.

I also have a Gyro and SME arm same as your's. I'm really interested on how the dedicated protractor for the SME arm works. Is it specific for a particular effective length ? Or will it automatically compensate for variations in stylus tip to mounting hole distance of some cartridges ? (like what the supplied cardboard protractor does)