PDA

View Full Version : Leben CS300XS - Mutant Version

JSCC
06-28-2011, 10:25 PM
I read an article about by a certain Mr. Wojciech Pacula who had Hyodo-san (Leben owner) custom build an already high end version of the Leben CS300xs - where Hyodo-san had already mod them on 3 areas, using Mullard NOS EL84 and changing of switches and passive components to the highest quality parts by adding further changes to the feet (replacing the standard plastic ones), fuse and IEC socket with Furutech ones. And the end result was a superb review!

Well, that spurred me on to ask myself if I am on the "itch" to do the same or more. Ahem ... I did much more! Yes, I have to pay a small sum for it too!

Changes were:

1. Replaced Caps with AuraT teflon ones.
2. Replaced standard fuse with AMR Gold Fuse.
3. Replaced standard plastic footers with "SSC Netpoint 200" footers.
4. Replace electrolytic caps with Mundorf's.
5. Replace cathode caps with Black Gate's.
6. Use Tantalum resistors in place of standard ones.
7. Rewired entire amp using Audio Note's silver wire.

So, how does that compared to a STANDARD CS300xs version?

Source used: AMR 77 CD Player
Integrated Amps used: Leben CS300xs vs Leben CS300xs "mod" version.
Speakers: Duevel Bella Diamente (6 Ohm, 91db/w)

Differences:

- Moded Leben CS300xs sounded cleaner, clearer and seemingly "more" powerful!

- Bass was more controlled, goes deeper with real weight.

- Mids and highs were louder and cleaner for same volume setting. Details were clearer and more vividly heard.

- The amp keeps delivering the same musical qualities when the volume were cranked up. Knob at "11 o'clock" position. Based on specs, this is only a 15 watt tube amp but with more punch, power, grip and clarity! My jaw dropped. Sounded more like a 200 watter high end SS. :yes:

Dealer told me to leave the amp at his place for demo until I have the "opportunity" to sneak it back home. :D

In fact, my friend who came alone for the audition immediately approached me with an offer to take over the amp which I flatly refused his kind offer. It was so good that he made the second decision - that is to buy over a NEW piece of the CS300xs and have it mod to EXACT same specs/parts I have done!

Cost difference? I bought mine at a 30% discount off the net retail price (used BUT mint - story on another thread in this forum) and then added on S$1.5k to do this upgrade. To me its worth every cent! Keepers for sure! :thumbsup:

Pictures will follow once I get the "before" and "after" from the dealer as he captured the "mutation event" of this CS300xs.

Last but not least, please dont ask me what I am going to do with this ... or any plans. Seriously, I am going to treat it like a watch, bring it out, touch it, clean it. Thats it for now! Now, stop laughing guys! I know its kinda stupid of me. BUT thats "urges and desires" right?

Cheers!:banana:

Jerome W
06-29-2011, 01:19 AM
I read an article about by a certain Mr. Wojciech Pacula who had Hyodo-san (Leben owner) custom build an already high end version of the Leben CS300xs - where Hyodo-san had already mod them on 3 areas, using Mullard NOS EL84 and changing of switches and passive components to the highest quality parts by adding further changes to the feet (replacing the standard plastic ones), fuse and IEC socket with Furutech ones. And the end result was a superb review!

Well, that spurred me on to ask myself if I am on the "itch" to do the same or more. Ahem ... I did much more! Yes, I have to pay a small sum for it too!

Changes were:

Differences:

- Mids and highs were louder and cleaner for same volume setting. Details were clearer and more vividly heard.

- The amp keeps delivering the same musical qualities when the volume were cranked up. Knob at "11 o'clock" position. Based on specs, this is only a 15 watt tube amp but with more punch, power, grip and clarity! My jaw dropped. Sounded more like a 200 watter high end SS. :yes:

Dealer told me to leave the amp at his place for demo until I have the "opportunity" to sneak it back home. :D

In fact, my friend who came alone for the audition immediately approached me with an offer to take over the amp which I flatly refused his kind offer. It was so good that he made the second decision - that is to buy over a NEW piece of the CS300xs and have it mod to EXACT same specs/parts I have done!

Cost difference? I bought mine at a 30% discount off the net retail price (used BUT mint - story on another thread in this forum) and then added on S$1.5k to do this upgrade. To me its worth every cent! Keepers for sure! :thumbsup:

Pictures will follow once I get the "before" and "after" from the dealer as he captured the "mutation event" of this CS300xs.

Last but not least, please dont ask me what I am going to do with this ... or any plans. Seriously, I am going to treat it like a watch, bring it out, touch it, clean it. Thats it for now! Now, stop laughing guys! I know its kinda stupid of me. BUT thats "urges and desires" right?

Jerry : that's great !
When I read all the mods, even if I'm far than being an electrical expert and I know quite nothing about it, I recognize one of the best names in audio components so no wonder you get a so good result. Mundorf's caps are especially said to be the best on the market.
Good job !
The Leben will sound terrific with your analog set up ! You have to find it a room now.
( Jean Marc did not get his HD yet so I'm still waiting for what you know...)

JSCC
06-29-2011, 05:10 AM
Jerry : that's great !
When I read all the mods, even if I'm far than being an electrical expert and I know quite nothing about it, I recognize one of the best names in audio components so no wonder you get a so good result. Mundorf's caps are especially said to be the best on the market.
Good job !
The Leben will sound terrific with your analog set up ! You have to find it a room now.
( Jean Marc did not get his HD yet so I'm still waiting for what you know...)

Hi Jerome,

I am a skeptical person - and would always wonder IF best names of parts do make that difference and if so, to what extent. Of course, the other nagging question would be - WHY was this not spec'ed into the product in the first place.

Maybe the product is made to a certain price point IS the best answer I can give as the reason for not doing so in the first place by the manufacturer.

This experiment tells me the answers I seek and seriously, I do like the the end results. I liked the Leben in the first place. Small, a not too expensive, high end entry level tube amp and best of all, its all point-to-point wiring. Literally, this meant the amp will and can last for many, many years! No need toworry where to find a PCBA replacement should one got damaged (burnt off, cracked, etc, ... thru time).

Much as I loved my Meridian system, I do like having a simpler, easy to maintain, reasonable in cost and yet possessing the same satisfying and alluring qualities as my Meridian setup. I am looking to the day where I retire and dont need to spend that much money like today to maintain and enjoy this hobby! Cant be chasing upgrades, technology and new products released forever.

So, this idea of a second system build upon this thought is being formed. Yes, I know I need a space to keep this amp and more so, if its being build into a full fledge system. So, I am taking my time to build this, slowly, but steadily, listening to EVERY and ALL the gears that I wanted to match with this amp. I know for sure, very soon the matching Leben RS-30EQ Phono Equaliser would be added to match. The rest, like speakers and source, will take a much longer time to acquire. Still this is a thought only ... for now. :D

Ok, I know I owe the pics on this transformation. Am chasing the dealer to send it to me. Hopefully, he can do so within these 2 days. :yes:

I sure hope you can update me on the "you know what" as and when Jean Marc is ready. I can say only these 2 words - Do Enjoy !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers! :banana:

howiebrou
06-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Jerry,

Don't think too much. Just give me the amp when I come in August and I will burn it in for you. :yes:

howie

JSCC
06-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Jerry,

Don't think too much. Just give me the amp when I come in August and I will burn it in for you. :yes:

howie

Bro,

We got much to do. So how many days can we go a-visiting the HiFi shops? One full day I hope. Evening, we must do Dinner .... and of course, Durian! :thumbsup:

The amp is currently being burned in. By Friday I shall be "sneaking" it home after i have heard it powering the Avantgarde Duo Gross G2 speakers. :music:

If you can take it from me and passed Hilary's questioning, sure .. take it. Not too much a cost. Cant even buy a cartridge good enough for your SME arm. :D

I hope you have found the "cure" :tears: on the you know what.

Masterlu
06-29-2011, 10:54 PM
I hope you have found the "cure" :tears: on the you know what.

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/IMZ/IMZ124/pimples_~pgi0043.jpg

:)

Dj_AmTraX
06-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Those look like a Rolex of Hi-Fi. Speaking of looks, :ttiwwp:

JSCC
06-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Those look like a Rolex of Hi-Fi. Speaking of looks, :ttiwwp:

OK, OK, here's two - before and after. :laughin:

Just joking DJ, my dealer had yet to send me the "before and after" pictures. Once he sent, I will upload to share.

Patience my friend! :thumbsup:

Masterlu
06-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Jerry... pretty!

http://audioaficionado.org/attachments/mbl-dcs-goldmund-esoteric-etc/10945d1309404166-leben-cs300xs-mutant-version-leben-cs300x-s-.jpg

f1 fan
06-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Jerry...stunning and they sound so good. Looking forward to your review and impressions.

Dave

JSCC
07-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Changes were:

Differences:

OK, the pictures - All AFTER the mod. Showing the places where the mods were done!

JSCC
07-01-2011, 10:03 AM
OK, the pictures - All AFTER the mod. Showing the places where the mods were done!

Last 2 pictures.

joeling
07-17-2011, 12:00 AM
The Leben CX300 is one impressive amp. Looks like you have managed to take it one level up :thumbsup: Curious why no change to the blue velvet ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : work done by AN Singapore ?

jdandy
07-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Jerry.......What an outrageous upgrade. You have turned an emerald into a diamond. Beautiful. I hope one day you will actually have this set up permanently so you can enjoy it at your leisure when you wish.

For now, maybe sleep with one eye open. :lmao:

'cisco
07-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Jerry.....Great pics...thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

JSCC
07-17-2011, 03:53 AM
The Leben CX300 is one impressive amp. Looks like you have managed to take it one level up :thumbsup: Curious why no change to the blue velvet ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : work done by AN Singapore ?

Hi Joe,

I am new to tube mods. Yes, its done by AN Singapore. The mod was in accordance to what I had read in a magazine, so I just told him to change it all. By the way, what is "blue velvet"?

The Leben is a nice amp and I have been wondering about collecting it. So a chance came by, jump on it. More so, it does not cost me an "arm or leg".

Cheers!

joeling
07-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Totally agree that this is a nice amp. Oh I see. By any chance did you get this from AN Singapore earlier this year ?

It works really well with the ProAc D1s. Very sweet indeed. Didn't work out pairing with the 15ohm Rogers LS3/5a though.

The volume pot is a blue velvet from Alps. They also sell a bigger one called black beauty but maybe cannot fit in the chassis.

Regards,
Joe Ling

JSCC
07-17-2011, 04:46 AM
Yes, I got it USED when "AN Singapore" told me someone needed an immediate sale of his "few months" old Leben CS300xs due to some urgent personal concern. Since its an opportunity comes by, just sign the cash cheque without bargaining.

A week later, I read about a mod in a magazine and approached AN Singapore if they could replicate the job, was quoted the price and so went ahead. No rush to pair it off as I dont have any speakers in mind. I'll just take my pace to build up. Next would be to add on a matching Leben RS30EQ Phono-stage to match.

As for the "Blue Velvet" Alps volume pot, will upgrade when the current one wears out. Think it will be some time as the amp is barely a couple of months old.

Cheers!

Still-One
07-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Jerry
I can tell you are happier than a kid a Christmas with your new acquisition. Looking forward to your thoughts as you spend more time with it.

Jim

LondonLovesLeben
07-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Nice list of modifications, must have cost a bit!
I have a 300X running a pair of Tannoy GRFs and am pretty happy with the amp as stock.
Wouldn't stop me trying something similar if I had some spare cash though :)

audiot servant
08-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Hi Jerry,

Congratulations on your modded Leben, it's a thing of beauty...

Given that the stock standard Leben is also a top flight headphone amp yours may be the headphone amp to end all headphone amps.

While I also love my AKG's it might be amazing to hear some of the other top end phones through it... Beyer Tesla, Audeze LCD2, Sennheiser 800 or any of the other 'best of' contenders.... think the Audeze might prove a match made in heaven given it's organic fleshy musicality.

Sure there are plenty of hours of happy listening ahead for you with your beautiful japanese gem...

best wishes
Graham

Main Music:Pure Music>Wireworld silver starlight USB>Mac Air with 256GB SSD>Wireworld silver eclipse 6 ICs >Calyx DAC>Shindo Aurieges L>Sanders Magtech>Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 SC>Magnepan 3.7
Head Music: Audeze LCD2 and AKG 702>Violectric V200 headphone amp
Also: Meridian>Straightwire and Kimber ICs>Peachtree Nova>Quicksilver GE 8417 monos>biwired Kimber 8tc>Proac Response 2

JSCC
08-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi Jerry,

Congratulations on your modded Leben, it's a thing of beauty...

Given that the stock standard Leben is also a top flight headphone amp yours may be the headphone amp to end all headphone amps.

While I also love my AKG's it might be amazing to hear some of the other top end phones through it... Beyer Tesla, Audeze LCD2, Sennheiser 800 or any of the other 'best of' contenders.... think the Audeze might prove a match made in heaven given it's organic fleshy musicality.

Sure there are plenty of hours of happy listening ahead for you with your beautiful japanese gem...

best wishes
Graham

Main Music:Pure Music>Wireworld silver starlight USB>Mac Air with 256GB SSD>Wireworld silver eclipse 6 ICs >Calyx DAC>Shindo Aurieges L>Sanders Magtech>Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 SC>Magnepan 3.7
Also: Meridian>Straightwire and Kimber ICs>Peachtree Nova>Quicksilver GE 8417 monos>biwired Kimber 8tc>Proac Response 2

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the kind words. Indeed, the local dealer, who is also representing Sennheiser told me this amp works well for the HD800's and are asking if I am interested. Well, seriously, I am not that into "cans" and since I already have a pair of AKG 701's bought at a rather cheap price, I will stand down on this temptation although I have seen the excellent build quality (with performance to match) of the Sennheiser's.

More likely, I am going to get the matching RS30EQ Phono Stage (even the side panels are white ash to perfectly match as a pair) and this forms the basis of a second system for the room. Speakers have yet to be decided and seriously, I need to plan way ahead to making it happen, first and foremost convince my wife why I needed a second system.

However, being me, I just love toys even though I cannot play them, looking at them gives me the satisfaction. I am a real nut and weirdo I suppose. I long for the day when I can have a pair of speakers playing with the Leben's.

Cheers!

audiot servant
08-02-2011, 10:21 PM
+1... Yes, absolutely... every music lover needs a second system Jerry :yes: ... just like a woman needs more pairs of shoes... this is the natural order of things.

cheers
Graham

joeling
08-04-2011, 12:16 AM
The ProAc D1's are an amazing match with the Leben 300.

guardcui
09-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Replaced Caps with AuraT teflon ones------Mundorf?

chessman
09-03-2011, 06:12 PM
guardcui, welcome aboard!! :wave:

Masterlu
09-03-2011, 08:23 PM
guardcui... Welcome! :wave:

JSCC
09-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Replaced Caps with AuraT teflon ones------Mundorf?

Hi guardcui,

Welcome. I think you misread my thread. :D

guardcui
09-05-2011, 05:10 AM
Hi guardcui,

Welcome. I think you misread my thread. :D

can you speak Chinese?

LondonLovesLeben
04-01-2012, 07:37 AM
JSCC would you be kind enough to tell me which magazine you saw regarding these modifications and an idea of the budget for the parts and labour?
Thanks.

LondonLovesLeben
04-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Ps Just noticed cost in first post.