PDA

View Full Version : Rega TT Modifications

80B
05-19-2009, 06:49 PM
A lot of guys have Rega TTs here, and there seems to be something of an aftermarket for mods, including the TT PSU for some of the lower models. What modification do you have, was it worth it, and what has it done for your listening experience (include your TT model of course)?

To start with, I don't have any mods on my P3-24 unless you include the 45RPM single spacer :eek:!

jdandy
05-19-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't have any mods on my P3-24 unless you include the 45RPM single spacer :eek:!

Paul.......Man, talk about a mod. WOW....the 45RPM spacer. :lmao:

80B
05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah, livin' large Dan! :D

jdandy
05-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah, livin' large Dan! :D

Do you actually have 45 RPM records?

gregswaim
05-19-2009, 07:19 PM
I have not played any 45's since about the age of 8. I'm mainly a LP guy.:D

My LP12 has lots of upgrade options. I've chosen the Lingo power supply for mine.
Linn now has a newer power supply for the LP12- The Radikal. This is suppose to replace the Lingo as the reference power supply.
I don't any interest in further upgrades for my table right now.
I've recently purchased a new EAR 324 phono stage to be followed by a Lyra Argo i MC pickup.
I'm very happy! :banana: :music:

80B
05-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Dan, I got all my old vinyl, and that of my folks, when I went up to Ohio this past Christmas. Not a big collection, but there were a few 45s in there. I couldn't even tell what they are, and probably best left tucked away wherever I put them, although maybe a BTO song or two would be fun to play just for the heck of it.

On the other hand, those Blue Note 45RPM LP's sound very sweet, and you don't need no stinkin' spacers! :D

gregswaim
05-19-2009, 07:37 PM
You can try a better Rega tonearm as a possible upgrade or a nice MC pickup- maybe a Lyra Dorian. I'm not aware of any Rega power supply upgrade options at this time.

EasyRiderNYC
05-19-2009, 07:45 PM
I have the P3-24 with the external power supply. Speeds are always dead on.

Also I have the Groove Tracer sub platter, platter and arm weight, very affordable and made with such care and close tolerances. Silent, tracks like a champ and sounds fantastic.

The Rega RB301 is a great arm. Just take a look at the many tables that use some version of it.

I have been thinking about stripping the arm and doing a custom veneer on the plinth eventually.

http://groovetracer.com/

What has it done for my listening experience? I have not bought a CD or SACD for over a year.

80B
05-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Greg, I've thought about their TT PSU power supply, but not sure if that would make as much difference as the groovetracer products.

Your setup really sounds like it's something that needs to be heard to be believed.

80B
05-19-2009, 07:52 PM
I have the P3-24 with the external power supply. Speeds are always dead on.

Also I have the Groove Tracer sub platter, platter and arm weight, very affordable and made with such care and close tolerances. Silent, tracks like a champ and sounds fantastic.

The Rega RB301 is a great arm. Just take a look at the many tables that use some version of it.

I have been thinking about stripping the arm and doing a custom veneer on the plinth eventually.

groove tracer (http://groovetracer.com/)

Chuck,
Those Groove Tracer mods look very tempting. Would you recommend any of your upgrades before or above any other? Do you have the Elys2 cartridge?

gregswaim
05-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Greg, I've thought about their TT PSU power supply, but not sure if that would make as much difference as the groovetracer products.

Your setup really sounds like it's something that needs to be heard to be believed.

Go audition the power supply and decide if it's right for you. :yes:

Records are a lot fun! :music:

EasyRiderNYC
05-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Chuck,
Those Groove Tracer mods look very tempting. Would you recommend any of your upgrades before or above any other? Do you have the Elys2 cartridge?

I would get the sub platter first. The Reference.

I use that cartridge, a Blue Point and a Grado.

Thinking of trying something else.

OneMalt
05-20-2009, 04:56 AM
I think the TTPSU is absolutely great! As mentioned, dead on speed control plus it triggers a special anti-vibration circuit. Finally, it allows you to change speed without messing with the pulley and belt. Very convenient. Best $375 I ever spent.

MC352
05-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Question on that Power Supply.

Is the cord long enough to put the supply on another shelf, or someplace other then tight next to the TT?

What does the sub platter do - give you a better bearing assembly?

OneMalt
05-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Question on that Power Supply.

Is the cord long enough to put the supply on another shelf, or someplace other then tight next to the TT?
In this picture, you can see that I have the TTPSU on top of my amp on the shelf under the TT:

http://audioaficionado.org/members/onemalt-albums-onemalt-picture124-pb290047.jpg

Tonepub
05-24-2009, 12:14 PM
What the Groovetracer subplatter does is replace the stock, plastic part which is slightly out of round with one that is aluminum and machined to a much tighter roundness spec.

This does a couple of things.

It gives you less speed variation because now the subplatter driving the table is perfectly round, and you get less wow and flutter. Instruments will sound a lot more natural and the soundstage will be bigger overall.

I've done all of the mods repeatedly and the subplatter is the most bang for the buck, followed by the PS which is a close second. The counterweight will give you again a little more spaciousness to the presentation, but had the least effect of all the mods.

The platter is a good mod, but it does change the sound of the Rega a bit, giving it a bit more bass extension.

Frank at Groovetracer is an excellent guy to deal with and makes an excellent product.

EasyRiderNYC
05-25-2009, 02:27 PM
What the Groovetracer subplatter does is replace the stock, plastic part which is slightly out of round with one that is aluminum and machined to a much tighter roundness spec.

This does a couple of things.

It gives you less speed variation because now the subplatter driving the table is perfectly round, and you get less wow and flutter. Instruments will sound a lot more natural and the soundstage will be bigger overall.

I've done all of the mods repeatedly and the subplatter is the most bang for the buck, followed by the PS which is a close second. The counterweight will give you again a little more spaciousness to the presentation, but had the least effect of all the mods.

The platter is a good mod, but it does change the sound of the Rega a bit, giving it a bit more bass extension.

Frank at Groovetracer is an excellent guy to deal with and makes an excellent product.

What's your favorite aftermarket arm weight for a rega?

Have you ever stripped a rega arm down to metal?

Would you stay with the glass platter.

His sub platter is a top job, really well done.