PDA

View Full Version : Oil change turned into new vehicle

jdandy
06-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Got up early this morning to drive in to Lake City for an oil change on my Expedition. While waiting, I took a test drive in a 2011 Lincoln MKX. I loved it, so the Expedition was traded on the spot. The MKX is full tilt, drives very well, super quiet, and best of all will deliver 28 mpg compared to the Expedition's 17 on a good. day. I'm at the tint shop getting the front windows done, so I'll post some photos when I am back home.

jdandy
06-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Man it's hard to type on this phone's tiny keyboard. More to come.

PHC1
06-15-2011, 03:37 PM
There you go Dan, why change the oil when you can just get a whole brand new car. :D Congrats on your new ride! Pics asap! :thumbsup:

AudioNut
06-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Sounds like me when I went to Sam's to get some socks and came home with a new 50"Sony TV. Isn't giving into temptation fun?

(After I spent two weeks in my "dog house" time out chair, I did enjoy the new television set!)

With all the trouble I got into, I'm sure glad I didn't need an oil change!

http://www.hitechreview.com/uploads/2009/04/sony-bravia-z5500-lcd-tv.jpg

Congratulations on your new car Dan! Was this the first oil change on the Expedition? Most of us wait at least until the tires need rotating. . . . .

Still-One
06-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Very nice Dan. I do like the looks of the MKX's.

Jerome W
06-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Congrats Dan !
Wow.... You buy many things at this time.
When are the 601's coming ? :D

joeinid
06-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Congratulations Dan, Nice choice.

Most of us wait at least until the tires need rotating. . . . .

Julian, don't the tires rotate every time we drive :D

Tonepub
06-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Nothing more fun than a spontaneous new car purchase!

The last six cars we've bought, I didn't know I was buying them when I woke up that day...

Still-One
06-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Julian, don't the tires rotate every time we drive :D
:lmao: :lmao:

Vintage Pete
06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Congrats Dan....nice to see the economy hasn't sent EVERYONE to the poor house. That's good news. I'm happy for you.

Pete

cmalak
06-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Dan...congrats on the new wheels :thumbsup: Enjoy!

jwhite613
06-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Congratulations - Hope you didn't get charged for the oil change. :D

chessman
06-15-2011, 05:05 PM
This has a much happier ending than I had feared when I read the title to the thread. :D Dan, congrats!!

tdelahanty
06-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Got up early this morning to drive in to Lake City for an oil change on my Expedition. While waiting, I took a test drive in a 2011 Lincoln MKX. I loved it, so the Expedition was traded on the spot. The MKX is full tilt, drive very well, super quiet, and best of all will deliver 28 mpg compared to the Expedition's 17 on a good. day. I'm at the tint shop getting the front windows done, so I,ll post some photos when I am back
Dan way to go on 28mpg !!! I'm always of the mindset to give the oil companies as little money as possible. :thumbsup:

MC352
06-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Dan, Congrats on your new ride!

That's a very nice vehicle.

Any pics?

Doug Lax
06-15-2011, 07:04 PM
:banana::banana:

Nice ride Dan !:yes:

Dj_AmTraX
06-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Hope you didn't have to pay for the oil change. :D

PHC1
06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
best of all will deliver 28 mpg compared to the Expedition's 17 on a good. day.

Of course it's understood that the difference in mileage will never pay for itself between the trade in of the Expedition and the purchase of the Jag. :D It's more about what the heart desires and not what logic dictates! :yes:

Masterlu
06-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Congrad's Dan! it is a very safe vehicle. My MKX gave up it's life to save mine! :o

two dot
06-15-2011, 09:50 PM
do we have photos yet????

Taylode
06-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Congrat's Dan it looks like you caught a little bit of Serge flu. :laughin:

jdandy
06-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Sorry gang, no photos tonight. By the time I got the MKX out of the tint shop and had dinner out with Marlene, it was too dark for any decent pictures. I'll get some up tomorrow.

The 2011 Lincoln MKX is a very slick vehicle, and drives super smooth and quiet. Decent acceleration, though not in the high performance category like the Jag was, but quick enough for me. Tons of cool features, ash wood interior trim, the Sync system does everything except wipe your bun, the navigation is superb, and the interactive color LCD instrument panel is amazing. You can show the tach or not, graphic fuel gauge, even a bird's eye view of the navigation in the instrument panel. The feature list is way to extensive to list them all, but a cool feature is the ambient lighting. Using the touch screen you can select from six color choices or soft white as accent lighting inside the vehicle when the head lamps are on. The lighting shows up softly in the door handles, buttons, around the center console, and in the foot wells. There's heated and cooled leather seating, heated leather steering wheel, voice control of many features, and the MKX sport 20 inch Perrelli radials on gorgeous aluminum rims. In addition, it even has a Class 3 receiver, so I can pull a trailer up to 3500 pounds. I like that.

This afternoon I spoke to another MKX owner at the post office in Lake City. She told me she is getting over 30 mpg on the highway and 26 mpg around town. That beats the heck out of 14 to 18 mpg that I was getting with the Expedition. I am a happy camper.

Here's a few stock photos until tomorrow.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_J3_liDBfbvs/S0-mTwdICrI/AAAAAAAAWw0/dn2W2Hd3hss/s400/2011-Lincoln-MKX-Photo.jpg . . http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_J3_liDBfbvs/S0-mhTKDQuI/AAAAAAAAWxE/zk4Gvfd6ih0/s400/2011-Lincoln-MKX-Rear-Angle-View.jpg

jdandy
06-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Sounds like me when I went to Sam's to get some socks and came home with a new 50"Sony TV. Isn't giving into temptation fun?

(After I spent two weeks in my "dog house" time out chair, I did enjoy the new television set!)

With all the trouble I got into, I'm sure glad I didn't need an oil change!

Congratulations on your new car Dan! Was this the first oil change on the Expedition? Most of us wait at least until the tires need rotating. . . . .

Julian.......That's funny. Yes, giving in to temptation is a blast. Just like Jeff said, when I woke this morning I didn't have a clue there was a new vehicle in my future.

No, this wasn't the first oil change, it was the second. 8216 miles. Hardly broke in good. Still smelled new with all the King Ranch leather.

jdandy
06-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Congrats Dan....nice to see the economy hasn't sent EVERYONE to the poor house. That's good news. I'm happy for you.

Pete.......Thank you. I don't know what happened. One minute I was getting an oil change, the next minute I was driving a new Lincoln MKX.

The good news is Ford didn't charge me for the oil change on the Expedition. That was cool. I gave them the Expedition's keys, a check for the trade difference, and that was it.

There's so much high tech on this vehicle it will take me a few days to get a handle on everything. I am extremely impressed with the MKX.

jdandy
06-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Of course it's understood that the difference in mileage will never pay for itself between the trade in of the Expedition and the purchase of the Jag. :D It's more about what the heart desires and not what logic dictates! :yes:

Serge.......You hit the nail on the head.

jdandy
06-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Congrad's Dan! it is a very safe vehicle. My MKX gave up it's life to save mine! :o

Ivan.......Yes indeed. I remember the photos you emailed me. You were fortunate that the MKX is built tough. I hope to never test mine in that manner.

jdandy
06-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Congrats Dan !
Wow.... You buy many things at this time.
When are the 601's coming ? :D

Jérôme.......Yes, I have been making some changes and improvements. It comes in cycles with me. As for the MC601's, I am staying with the MC501's. I honestly believe I have reached a performance plateau with my sound systems, especially since adding two MCD1100's. The expenditures necessary now for even a fractional performance enhancement, or perhaps just a different sound but not necessarily better, is greater than I desire to invest. I am enjoying the sound systems and the home theater I have built. They are all quite thrilling without any additional changes.

jdandy
06-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Congrat's Dan it looks like you caught a little bit of Serge flu. :laughin:

Dennis.......I believe the highly contagious vehicle affliction is called Serge Syndrome. It's not deadly, but the treatments are expensive. :yes:

PHC1
06-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Dennis.......I believe the highly contagious vehicle affliction is called Serge Syndrome. It's not deadly, but the treatments are expensive. :yes:

Geez, a guy gets a Ferrari or two or three.. and suddenly there's a stigma attached. :D

PHC1
06-15-2011, 11:33 PM
The MKX looks great Dan! Enjoy! :thumbsup:

jdandy
06-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Serge.......Thank you. I am hoping the MKX will keep me happy for a few years.

PHC1
06-16-2011, 12:26 AM

Dan, I think you've hit the sweet spot. The Jag was very nice but like you said, you didn't or shouldn't :D use it to its full potential and needed more utility. The Explorer was nice but on the other end of the spectrum. I think the MKX will work out just great for you. :thumbsup:

djwhog
06-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Congrats, they drive and look great dan... Good choice:)

Still-One
06-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Dan, I believe you when you say you won't move to 2301's etc, but I'm not sure about swapping vehicles. It seems every time you visit a dealer a new car comes home with you. Serge, is not a good roll model for any of us. :lmao:

Jim

miner
06-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Congrats on your MKX Dan. Like you, I never PLAN to buy a new vehicle, it just happens.

Alberto
06-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Congratulations Dan.

A few years ago exactly the same thing happened to me. Went for an oil change for my BMW 740i - left with an M5. If worked out well for me since that car was a lot of fun and stayed with me for 5 years - I wish you the same luck with your MKX :thumbsup:.

Alberto

Masterlu
06-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Dan... Just imagine how much trouble you can get into if you need a "Tune Up" :laughin:

jdandy
06-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Dan... Just imagine how much trouble you can get into if you need a "Tune Up" :laughin:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ivan.......No kidding!

jdandy
06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Glad to see the sun come out after that 5:00 AM thunderstorm that rolled through here this morning. Here's some photos of my new Lincoln MKX.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/2011LincolnMKX1.jpg

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/2011LincolnMKX3.jpg

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/2011LincolnMKX4.jpg

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/2011LincolnMKX5.jpg

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/2011LincolnMKX6.jpg

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/2011LincolnMKX7.jpg

Vintage Pete
06-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Very nice Dan...congrats. :thumbsup:

Pete

Taylode
06-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Geez, a guy gets a Ferrari or two or three.. and suddenly there's a stigma attached. :D

:roflmao:

1KW
06-16-2011, 09:17 PM
It looks nice ! Glad to see Lincoln making stylish cars again. The front grill is very attractive as is the interior. Enjoy

hkval
06-16-2011, 09:31 PM
I think you have found your perfect vehicle in the Lincoln - class, comfort, style and utilitarianism in one beautiful color combination.
Val never believes me when I tell her "This car is a long-term keeper". Maybe it is because we have owned "53" NEW cars in our 46 years of marriage.:eek2:

Stereo and cars are always ready to be traded - Val is brand new every day.:yes:

kfr01
06-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Dan: congrats! I've always admired that Lincoln. How's the audio?

jdandy
06-17-2011, 09:09 AM
I think you have found your perfect vehicle in the Lincoln - class, comfort, style and utilitarianism in one beautiful color combination.
Val never believes me when I tell her "This car is a long-term keeper". Maybe it is because we have owned "53" NEW cars in our 46 years of marriage.:eek2:

Stereo and cars are always ready to be traded - Val is brand new every day. :yes:

Howard.......What a cool thing to say about Valerie. You are still a consummate romantic. :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about "long term keepers". There are so many very nice vehicles from which to choose. I have had five different new vehicles in the past three years. I think I need to stay away from auto delership lots.

jdandy
06-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Dan: congrats! I've always admired that Lincoln. How's the audio?

Karl.......The Lincoln MKX has the THX certified sound system installed, and it sounds fantastic. It has a 12 amplifiers, one for each speaker, crossovers are electronic, and the powered subwoofer gets surprisingly low. It is a fine sound system that makes driving very pleasant. I has SD and USB inputs, Sirius satellite radio, AM/FM/HDFM, and a D player. I plugged my iPod into the USB port yesterday and the system indexed everything, and give me touch screen control of all the iPod controls and library. The Lincoln MKX has all the toys. It's a blast.

jdandy
06-17-2011, 09:20 AM
It looks nice ! Glad to see Lincoln making stylish cars again. The front grill is very attractive as is the interior. Enjoy

David.......Thanks.

jdandy
06-26-2011, 09:16 PM
With just over 600 miles on the new Lincoln MKX, I am really enjoying the vehicle. I drove it to Gainesville yesterday to take Marlene to dinner, and the Oaks Mall. The round trip was 110 miles, and the MKX averaged 25.8 mpg. I'm quite pleased with that milage.

howiebrou
06-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Congratulations Dan! The new Lincoln looks very slick. I seem to recall you have gone from Lincoln to Jag to Ford and now back to Lincoln!

Serge is 100% correct. My new Flame Red Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited has just arrived in Hong Kong but it will be mid-July before I can get it.

I wonder if I am the first person to trade in a Mercedes S Class for a Jeep Wrangler??!! :laughin: :crazy:

AudioNut
06-27-2011, 09:51 PM
I wonder if I am the first person to trade in a Mercedes S Class for a Jeep Wrangler??!! :laughin: :crazy:

Hope it didn't cost you too much difference. . . Those Wranglers are EXPENSIVE automobiles.

howiebrou
06-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Hope it didn't cost you too much difference. . . Those Wranglers are EXPENSIVE automobiles.

Didn't cost me a dime Julian. Actually I will get some cash back :yes:

jdandy
06-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Congratulations Dan! The new Lincoln looks very slick. I seem to recall you have gone from Lincoln to Jag to Ford and now back to Lincoln!

Howie.......I like Lincoln vehicles. I have owned four, a Linclon Navigator, Linclon LS, Lincoln MKS, and now the Lincoln MKX. The new Lincoln MKX is a sweet ride. Today I installed wood dash accent to the center console. It looks fantastic.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/2011LincolnMKXInterior.jpg

Masterlu
06-27-2011, 11:02 PM
You did a fine job Dan, very nice. :)

chessman
06-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Dan, that looks awesome!

jdandy
06-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Thank you. This is the forth vehicle I have used wooddash.com kits in. Their kits are precision manufactured, fit like a glove and match the factory wood perfectly. I am pleased with the way the center console looks. It really added warmth to the dash area. Here's another photo.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/2011LincolnMKXInterior2.jpg

JFR0317
06-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Great job, Dan! Very attractive!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Still-One
06-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Dan
Nice job. The work shows your usual patience and attention to detail.

Jim

jdandy
06-28-2011, 10:07 AM
John.......

Jim.......

Thank you. The folks at Wooddash make an excellent product. The 3M industrial adhesive on the back of the various pieces is extremely aggressive. After cleaning all surfaces with alcohol, a special adhesives promoter is applied to the surfaces using a Q-tip. Then you peel the adhesive protection off, and set the various pieces in place. A Dry run with the adhesive protection still in place is essential. Once the adhesive touches the surfaces where the promoter applied it is bonded. There is no pulling it back up or sliding into a new location. Patience and dexterity are important. It took me almostt three hours to do the console area. Since this is the forth vehicle I have used the Wooddash products on, I have previous experience, and it helped.

MC352
06-28-2011, 10:09 AM
That looks great Dan!

jdandy
06-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Chuck.......Wooddash.com probably has a kit that would look super in your vehicle. Not too expensive, either. My kit was $165.00.

hkval
06-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Chuck.......Wooddash.com probably has a kit that would look super in your vehicle. Not too expensive, either. My kit was $165.00.

The end result is worth 10 x $165 - First Class job Dan.:thumbsup:

Masterlu
06-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Wow, that really is inexpensive. :yes: