PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD126 MkIII - Thoughts and Impressions

ehoove
06-12-2011, 03:15 PM
I recently acquired a very nice TD126 MkIII with a Signet AK50 tonearm, and thought I would offer some initial thoughts and impressions.

I have cleaned and re-oiled the bearing and given the table a general cleaning. I will clean and polish the bearing once I receive the new thrust plate for the 7mm bearing from my friend Joel. I have not altered the table in any way at this point.

This is a very well built table, and the ergonomics are as close to perfect as I have encountered.

It is a bit industrial looking compared to the TD125, TD125 MkII I have owned, and the look is growing on me as compared to the Silver/Wood appearance of the former models.

The Signet AK50 Arm is a beautiful piece of workmanship and is the brother to the Audio Technica AT1100S arm. At 6.5gr effective mass it is a honest low mass arm. I am running a Audio Technica At13ea cartridge with a new Audio Technica ATN14 Shibata Stylus, and the match is very good. The resonance of the arm comes in at 9Hz using the Shure Era 4 Test record tracking the cartridge at 1.4 gr. I am using a CA640P/Hypnotoaded Preamp BTW

The comparison to the TD125 MkII is using a Denon DL160 HOMC with the stock TP16 MkI arm 16.5 Gr effective mass, so it is subjective at best. I have always felt the TD125 series was lean in the bass compared to the TD160 series, and this continued when running this cartridge/stylus combo in the TD160 Super with the TP16 MkIII low mass arm. Td TD 160 series just seems to have more grunt in the bottom end to me, but the AK50 arm in the TD126 MkIII has grunt and more! The cartridge/Stylus combo has more control and clarity, as well as more attack, and definition than in the TD160 Super with the TP16 MkIII arm. That being said I must state that that combo I found very, very good.

I have found that the reoccurring thought that comes to mind in evaluating new and vintage equipment is control of the medium at all volumes, and this table/ arm combo does it better than any TD series table I have owned ( TD125, TD125 MkII, TD 150, TD 160, TD160 Super) other than my Hot Rodded TD160/Project 9cc/Sumiko Blackbird rig, which is comparing apples to oranges.

I did have a chance to listen at length to a TD160 Super with the Magnpan Unitrac 1 arm/Audio Technica AT15SA cartridge and still think the TD126 MKIII has more bottom end grunt and definition. This table is the real deal, and all I have done is oil the bearing, and add silicone to the damping trough of the tone arm, and of course do the proper alignment and VTA adjustment of the cartridge of course. once again this is subjective due to the difference in arms and cartridge.

Over all this is a wonderfully musical Table and tonearm combination for use with a High compliance cartridge. It exhibits the control and execution of a much more costly table, and is built like it as well. There is a NOS Sonus Gold Blue cartridge on the way, and I must say as a die hard Moving Coil guy, this table and the TD160 Super it replaced have opened my eyes to the virtues on MM/Moving Iron design cartridges. Did someone say Soundsmith Voice?:scratch2:

Regards,
Jim

cmalak
06-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Jim...I'd be interested if you have owned any modern day tables at a similar level to the vintage Thorens tables you have owned (Idon't know what qualifies as similar in terms of modern tables but let's say something like the Clearaudio Concept or VPI Scout as an example)? I am just interested to see if there are ways to describe differences in the sonic signature between the vintage tables and the modern ones. I know this is too hard to do in a meaningful way because a turntable is really a system comprised of the table/tonearm/cartridge (as well as phono) but I just thought I'd throw the question out there. Thx

'cisco
06-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Jim.....Beautiful looking table. Many many moons ago I had a soft spot for Thorens and still do. Never did own one but you and Alberto brought back those memories. :music:

ehoove
06-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Jim...I'd be interested if you have owned any modern day tables at a similar level to the vintage Thorens tables you have owned (Idon't know what qualifies as similar in terms of modern tables but let's say something like the Clearaudio Concept or VPI Scout as an example)? I am just interested to see if there are ways to describe differences in the sonic signature between the vintage tables and the modern ones. I know this is too hard to do in a meaningful way because a turntable is really a system comprised of the table/tonearm/cartridge (as well as phono) but I just thought I'd throw the question out there. Thx

The only modern table I have owned was a Project RM5SE With the 9cc arm, which was a very nice table that vastly improved with the addition of the Speedbox II. It is a very nice table, but lacks what I call soul, that intangable warmth silkyness and air that the vintage Thorens tables seem to exude once refurbished. I do think highly of the Project 9cc carbon fiber arm though and procured one for my highly modified TD160 table.I would have to say the table was that units weakness, because my modded TD160 with that arm is a beast. IMHO

The TD126 MkIII table has it before anything has been done to it so I am very excited to see how it does once the new thrust plate is installed and the bearing is polished etc.

Regards,
Jim

ehoove
06-12-2011, 07:53 PM
another pic before cleaning of the Signet arm.
Regards,
Jim

Masterlu
06-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Jim... Really nice Thorens!

I grew up with a TD-160

http://www.stefanopasini.it/images/Thorens%20TD-160.jpg

Alberto
06-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Great looking table Jim. Thanks for sharing.

There's something about the Thorens looks and sound that always resonated with me. Quite possibly because as a teen I always lusted after them.

I suspect this table will serve you well for years to come.

I can't believe that I've gone through lots of gear (and $10Ks) in the past 5 years - including several turntables (ProJect, Rega, VPI) but my beautiful Thorens TD125ii w/ SME3009 with custom plinth is the one I kept and play all the time.

http://usr.AudioAsylum.com/images/3/38572/Thorens_w_Clearaudio_8_10_2007.JPG

A new belt every couple of years and this 40+ year old spinner keeps delivering the goods.

Here's a toast to vintage Thorens!

Alberto

ehoove
06-12-2011, 08:16 PM

I grew up with a TD-160

Thanks Ivan, I have one of those as well, though a bit changed!:D
Regards,
Jim

JemHadar
06-13-2011, 04:31 AM
Here are some picture of my 126

I think it uses a SME 2 arm

I like the big lit buttons and the lift mechanism.

Although it was cleaned up by the dealer and is in reasonable good working condition, it is starting to show its age and I'm considering moving on to a Michell Engineering GyroDec

ehoove
06-13-2011, 10:03 AM

I like the big lit buttons and the lift mechanism.

Although it was cleaned up by the dealer and is in reasonable good working condition, it is starting to show its age and I'm considering moving on to a Michell Engineering GyroDec

Your TD126 has a SME Series III arm on it. Wonderful arm for high compliance cartridges.

Regards,
Jim

JemHadar
06-13-2011, 01:46 PM
THX Jim

I'm a complete nOOb when it comes to TT's...so what is a "high compliance cartridge" ? :scratch2:

Are there any you can recommend ?

much obliged for sharing any insights

Alberto
06-13-2011, 01:59 PM

It's actually an SME III - nice though!

Alberto

Alberto
06-13-2011, 02:02 PM
THX Jim

I'm a complete nOOb when it comes to TT's...so what is a "high compliance cartridge" ? :scratch2:

Hi high compliance cartridge is one that will comply with your desire to play less-than-worthy recordings. E.g. a low-compliance cartridge will not play a "Pia Zadora" LP, but a high-compliance one will play it - albeit with some reluctance.

Sorry.

Seriously, here's a pretty good explanation: Tonearm/Cartridge Capability (http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/tonearmcartridge.html)

Alberto

cmalak
06-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi high compliance cartridge is one that will comply with your desire to play less-than-worthy recordings. E.g. a low-compliance cartridge will not play a "Pia Zadora" LP, but a high-compliance one will play it - albeit with some reluctance. Sorry.

Alberto

Nicely said Alberto...:laughin: :roflmao:

By the way, did you have your customized Thorens plinth done for you or was this your own handiwork? Just curious.

JemHadar
06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi cmalak...in case you are asking me...I've got no idea what you are talking about...what do you mean with customized plinth ?

this TT was sitting on my dealer's shelf, he cleaned it up, although some battlescars remain, and I bought it because I wanted something that was very userfriendly...and I just love the way it looks.

I must say, my knowledge about TT is close to absolute zero...and browsing through this Turntable forum is quite an eye-opening, be it intimidating, experience.

...but I'm infected...the hunt is one...gotta love this hobby...and having this forum is a joy.

THX

Removed
06-13-2011, 04:33 PM
THX Jim

Here is some good info regarding compliance Cartridge / Arm Matching (http://www.theanalogdept.com/cartridge___arm_matching.htm)

cmalak
06-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi cmalak...in case you are asking me...I've got no idea what you are talking about...what do you mean with customized plinth ?

this TT was sitting on my dealer's shelf, he cleaned it up, although some battlescars remain, and I bought it because I wanted something that was very userfriendly...and I just love the way it looks.

I must say, my knowledge about TT is close to absolute zero...and browsing through this Turntable forum is quite an eye-opening, be it intimidating, experience.

...but I'm infected...the hunt is one...gotta love this hobby...and having this forum is a joy.

THX

Jem666...sorry. I was addressing the question to Alberto. I was referring to his custom wood plinth he has on his Thorens table. See below:

I can't believe that I've gone through lots of gear (and $10Ks) in the past 5 years - including several turntables (ProJect, Rega, VPI) but my beautiful Thorens TD125ii w/ SME3009 with custom plinth is the one I kept and play all the time.

http://usr.AudioAsylum.com/images/3/38572/Thorens_w_Clearaudio_8_10_2007.JPG

Here's a toast to vintage Thorens!

Alberto

Alberto
06-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Nicely said Alberto...:laughin: :roflmao:

By the way, did you have your customized Thorens plinth done for you or was this your own handiwork? Just curious.

I wish I could do that kind of woodwork. I bought it from a guy who used to make them. It's not only pretty, it also weighs a ton!

Alberto

ehoove
06-13-2011, 08:51 PM
It is a very nice piece of craftsmanship that adds to the table's strength of presentation. Beautiful Table!
Regards,
Jim

JSCC
06-14-2011, 02:53 AM

I grew up with a TD-160

Is this TT your's Ivan? I would love to buy one like that, in THIS condition. That would have made my day! Anytime! :thumbsup:

Sometimes, looking back, the gears of yesterday/yesteryears are every bit as good as today's, except current ones are of better materials! Build quality and workmanship every bit as good! :thumbsup: