PDA

View Full Version : My CT-5 seems to be coming into it's own...

Puma Cat
06-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Most of you remember that I snagged a CT-5 in February...I've been listening to it on and off in that time, but my initial impressions were that I preferred my Premier 17LS to the CT-5. While not a transparent as the CT-5, the Pr17 seemed to have more weight, drive and a more musical quality. I had a good audio buddy come over for a session around that time, and he did not like the CT-5 at all; said it sounded like "hi-fi", whereas the Premier 17 sounded like music. I have to admit at the time, I preferred the Pr17 as well....the CT-5 sounded thin and flat by comparison.

I talked to another audio buddy who also has a CT-5 and he told that my descriptions of what it sounded like were exactly like one whose Teflon caps had not burned in. His required about 5-6 months of listening, and continued to get better for 3 mos. or more after it started sounding good to him. He told me to be patient, and keep listening to it.

I've been doing that as well as having the music server drive it with the preamp on, but w/o the amp being on, during the day while I am at work. So, I'll leave it on for 10-12 hours a day, then switch it off before going to bed, fire it up the next day.

Have to say in the last few weeks, the CT-5 definitely seems to be coming into its own....it's starting to sound notably better. It has pretty remarkable transparency, imaging, spaciousness, and is developing musicality.

Jeff of AV Solutions came over today with a PP2000 for demo, and we hung out for 4 hours listening mostly to jazz LPs and "bench racing". Comparing the two preamps, Jeff definitely preferred the CT-5. He thought it was cleaner, had better inner detail, and had a smoother, more fluid presentation than the Premier 17. At one point he remarked, "I'm really likin' that preamp...." It was nice meeting Jeff, listening to some great music, chatting and getting his perspective.

Long story short, the CT-5 will staying around a while longer while I keep running it in; if it continues to improve the way it has, it may end up being a keeper. :)

cmalak
06-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Good to hear Stephen :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
06-15-2011, 01:53 AM
Thnaks, Cyril, I'm still listening to the CT-5 and it seems to be getting better on a daily basis. Jeff kindly left the PP2000 with me until the weekend to audition, and I am enjoying using that in conjunction with the CT-5. These two together sure sound good.

cmalak
06-15-2011, 03:00 AM
:thumbsup:

What else do you have plugged into the pure Power unit?

Puma Cat
06-15-2011, 03:56 PM
The phono stage and the Oppo BD-83SE. The PP2000 is powered with a 20 amp IEC Shunyata Black Mamba HC CX, the Oppo and the CT-5 each have an Shunyata Black Mamba CX power cord, and the phono stage has the absolutely killer $95 Venom3, a phenomenal cord for the money.

I still have the amp plugged into the wall also with a 15 amp Black Mamba HC CX; anecdotally, I still think it sounds the best coming straight from the wall.

I seem to be fortunate in having very clean power coming from the wall; every time I have checked the input voltage coming into the PP2000, it always reads exactly 120V/60 Hz.

cmalak
06-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Stephen...have you tried switching the Black Mamba CX from the Oppo onto the EAR phono and the Venom onto the Oppo?

Puma Cat
07-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Stephen...have you tried switching the Black Mamba CX from the Oppo onto the EAR phono and the Venom onto the Oppo?

Hi Cyrll,
Yes, but the Black Mamba CX will not fit on the EAR phono; the ground lug on the EAR is positioned such that it interferes with the fatter plug on the CX fitting into the IEC jack. Disappointing as all get out but there you go. So, the CX stays on the Oppo, and Venom3 on the phono stage. It's all good; the Venom3 is a phenomenal cord, price notwithstanding. I prefer it to the Diamondback Platinum on the phono stage.

When Jeff Whitlock came over a few weeks ago to let me try out the PP2000, he helped me tweak the Koetsu's VTA, and with the new UNI-Protractor tweaks to the cartridge setup, the Gyro/Koetsu Urushi Vermilion/SME V combo sounds fantastic right now.

I've no complaints whatsoever. :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
07-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Just an update on the CT-5:

Since my first post on this thread on June 11, the CT-5 continues to get better and better. My recent LP purchases (Speakers Corner, Music Matters, etc) and recent TT tweaks have only serve to convince me that the CT-5 is doing some pretty wonderful things lately. A friend from another forum who owns a CT-5 told me that you'd be listening one evening, and all of a sudden, the preamp would "be there", and that it would continue to improve over the next two to three months. Here's hoping as it certainly appears to be doing that. ;)

Rafale
07-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Just an update on the CT-5:

Since my first post on this thread on June 11, the CT-5 continues to get better and better. My recent LP purchases (Speakers Corner, Music Matters, etc) and recent TT tweaks have only serve to convince me that the CT-5 is doing some pretty wonderful things lately. A friend from another forum who owns a CT-5 told me that you'd be listening one evening, and all of a sudden, the preamp would "be there", and that it would continue to improve over the next two to three months. Here's hoping as it certainly appears to be doing that. ;)

great Stephen
and the best is yet to come....:yes:
how many hours on your CT5 now ?

Ritmo
07-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Great to know that your CT-5 is meeting is "getting there".

Mike

jdandy
07-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Stephen.......The C-J CT-5 is quite a bit newer than the Premier 17, and is considerably better looking, in my opinion.

CT-5
http://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/706CJ.jpg

Premier 17
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IYbTI5MLj8w/SUr0nRDhqeI/AAAAAAAAAzc/4IX46cE_Nro/s400/Conrad-Johnson+Premier+17+ls_resize.JPG

jimtranr
07-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Congratulations, Stephen. "Getting there" is half the fun, isn't it. And sounds like you'll still be on that journey for a while longer. With a gorgeous-looking line stage.

Different breeds of cat, but like your experience with the LP70S, my MF2500 has always fared better connected directly to the wall (virtually everything else gets fed via an original Shunyata Hydra). A couple of months ago, I popped for a pair of PS Audio Power Port Premier duplex AC outlets to replace the stock cheapies, not certain that they would make much if any difference on an undedicated 15-amp line. The lit said that they'd really show their stuff after around 300 hours' cooking time, but by 200 it was obvious that everything from slam to focus (to say nothing of the color/contrast on the flat panel on the same circuit via the Shunyata) had improved to the point where my wife could hear (and see) it.

Since my 17LS draws (via the Shunyata) from the same source, and presumably has benefitted from the outlet upgrade, I thought I'd mention it if you haven't already tried it. (I'm not flakking for PS Audio, BTW--I suspect the Oyaide or Shunyata outlets would provide similar benefits.)

Tonepub
07-04-2011, 01:17 PM
The phono stage and the Oppo BD-83SE. The PP2000 is powered with a 20 amp IEC Shunyata Black Mamba HC CX, the Oppo and the CT-5 each have an Shunyata Black Mamba CX power cord, and the phono stage has the absolutely killer $95 Venom3, a phenomenal cord for the money.

I still have the amp plugged into the wall also with a 15 amp Black Mamba HC CX; anecdotally, I still think it sounds the best coming straight from the wall.

I seem to be fortunate in having very clean power coming from the wall; every time I have checked the input voltage coming into the PP2000, it always reads exactly 120V/60 Hz.

No one has "clean" power coming from their wall. Plug a distortion analyzer in.

daimo
07-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I just got my CT-5 (2nd hand) 3 weeks ago and I'm more than happy.

It's paired with LP70s. It's still running stock tubes. is it worth the $ to get the DRs?

Puma Cat
07-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I just got my CT-5 (2nd hand) 3 weeks ago and I'm more than happy.

It's paired with LP70s. It's still running stock tubes. is it worth the $ to get the DRs?

Sorry, what are the DRs?

chessman
07-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Are these 6H30 based? If so, the DR variant of the 6H30 tubes are supposed to be the best sounding. Experiences seem to be all over the map on that issue, but I would like to try them in my BAT gear, which does use the 6H30's.

Puma Cat
07-14-2011, 01:48 AM
Are these 6H30 based? If so, the DR variant of the 6H30 tubes are supposed to be the best sounding. Experiences seem to be all over the map on that issue, but I would like to try them in my BAT gear, which does use the 6H30's.

Ah, yes, you're right...the DR are supposed to be the best-sounding. Haven't heard 'em yet. I thought Daimo was inquiring tubes for his LP70S, not his CT-5.

I'm using the stock C-J provided 6H30s on my CT-5.

Actually, I'm using stock tubes on my LP70S as well.