PDA

View Full Version : Setting stylus rake angle with a DinoLite

Puma Cat
04-15-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm borrowing a DinoLite USB microcope from work for the weekend. It's got 1280 X 960 res and 200x magnification as well as measurement capability. I'm looking forward to using it to measure my stylus rake angle (SRA) with accuracy and precision.

I'll upload pix tonight when I get it set up. With the measurement functionality, I should be able to get an actual measurement in degrees of my SRA. I'll probably use a Music Matters LP as the reference LP for thickness.

More to come, stay tuned.

RoadDawgWest
04-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Puma Cat

I used a usb microscope camera to measure the SRA of my cartridge. Besides forums I have never had an opportunity to discuss the process. I used the Feickert setup disc as a reference thickness.

The measuring software provided with the camera I purchased was not that good. I simply imported the jpeg images, and used the measuring function provided in Visio. Measure 91.9 degrees.

The cartridge is a Dynavector XV1S. I have attached an image.
Look forward to your measurements and the images you capture.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff400/RoadDawgWest/Cartridge/dynavector1-919.jpg

Puma Cat
04-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Interesting..Visio has a measuring capability? How do you access it?

Cheers,
Stephen

RoadDawgWest
04-15-2011, 08:17 PM
There is a size and position feature. If I remeber correctly it is under "view". It allowed me to select the line through the stylus and it gave me an angle in degrees.

turntable
04-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Great photo RDW. dyna XV-1s is a great cart

I must resist, too may toys as it is.

Formerly YB-2
04-16-2011, 06:16 AM
I simply imported the jpeg images, and used the measuring function provided in Visio. Measure 91.9 degrees.

Look forward to your measurements and the images you capture.Very nice. Did make any adjustments? If so, were you able to discern the difference in sound?

MyPal
03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Puma Cat

I used a usb microscope camera to measure the SRA of my cartridge. Besides forums I have never had an opportunity to discuss the process. I used the Feickert setup disc as a reference thickness.

The measuring software provided with the camera I purchased was not that good. I simply imported the jpeg images, and used the measuring function provided in Visio. Measure 91.9 degrees.

Look forward to your measurements and the images you capture.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff400/RoadDawgWest/Cartridge/dynavector1-919.jpg

Stephen...Awesome photo! Just came across your thread after performing a Google search. Look forward to playing with my new 5mp 500x Dino-Lite soon.

How did you get an SRA of around 8deg? After setting you VTA (say approx. 22deg downwards) shouldn't the SRA come in around 0deg to the diamond patch?

ngc4900
01-30-2016, 11:02 PM
Stephen

Nice photo. I took delivery on my new TT, still in the box, I was exploring this technique, also described by MF. I know you post was 5 years ago, but Isn't the magic number 92 degrees and then adjust by ear. I suspect you used a drawing tool app in windows in which you imported the pic. Do you remember this as being very difficult?

Thanks

Best

Joe