PDA

View Full Version : Really impressed with the MMG's...

Tonepub
04-10-2011, 11:53 PM
We are working on a series of entry level components and one of the speakers I was most intrigued with was the $599/pair Magnepan MMG's.

You have to buy them straight from Magnepan, as they really don't have room for dealer markup on these babies. Though honestly after a few days listening, they could easily sell these for $899 at a dealer, if not a little more.

If any of you need a second system or just want to explore the Magnepan sound at a very low cost of entry, I highly suggest these speakers. Review in process, but I have to say they are BY FAR the most impressive $600 speakers I've ever heard.

MC352
04-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Looks like they already got a rave review. :D
I look forward to reading your entry level series, and the review on these.

Supercronopio
04-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I had a pair about 5 years ago. Great Value!

Face
04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I also had a pair a few years ago. They're a fun speaker, do a lot of things right, but have their limitations.

Tonepub
04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
True, but what $600 component doesn't?

I'm really having a ton of fun with these, investigating different amplifiers, etc to see how much more sound can be massaged out of them without spending a ton of money.

They do so much right, this would definitely be a great place to start the high end journey if I were beginning again. It brings back a lot of great memories, as I started out with Magnepan MG-1's back in 1978.

skunark
04-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Any thoughts on the MMGW?

I've been considering using the MMGW for a 2 or 5.1 wall-mount setup for a small home office that doubles as a gaming room and sometimes a film major's video editing station.

Face
04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Any thoughts on the MMGW?

I've been considering using the MMGW for a 2 or 5.1 wall-mount setup for a small home office that doubles as a gaming room and sometimes a film major's video editing station.
Stereo Speakers, Home Theater Speakers, High Fidelity Audio - Magnepan, Inc. (http://www.magnepan.com/)

The MMG, 60 day, money back guarantee program consists of 3 speaker models:

MMG: Floor standing speaker (http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG)
MMG W: Wall standing speaker (http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMGW)
MMG C: Center channel speaker (http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMGC)

Tonepub
04-11-2011, 11:36 PM
I haven't used the center channel, but I have heard the on wall magnepans.
They are pretty cool. Honestly, I'd give em a try without the center, they
are so open and airy, you might not even need the center.

I heard them at Definitive Audio two years ago and it sounded great.

wpines
04-12-2011, 12:27 PM
We are working on a series of entry level components and one of the speakers I was most intrigued with was the $599/pair Magnepan MMG's.

You have to buy them straight from Magnepan, as they really don't have room for dealer markup on these babies. Though honestly after a few days listening, they could easily sell these for $899 at a dealer, if not a little more.

If any of you need a second system or just want to explore the Magnepan sound at a very low cost of entry, I highly suggest these speakers. Review in process, but I have to say they are BY FAR the most impressive $600 speakers I've ever heard.

The 1.7's are entry level priced at $2,000. I just bought a pair and I'm enjoying the heII out of them. :thumbsup: I'm a Revel guy and Revel has a big soundstage but these things throw a soundstage big enough to walk around in and the imaging is just unbelievable. Magnepan has a hit on there hands with these new speakers. I can't wait to hear the 3.7's.
All of these McIntosh guys with hundreds of watts of headroom on their systems might want to put those watts they paid for to use and make their needles dance with some Magnepans.
I'm driving the 1.7's with 260 watts and they seem to settle in nicely at 150 to 200 watts.

Tonepub
04-12-2011, 04:28 PM
You need my Gotham to go along with those 1.7's! It blends perfectly...

:)

JohnK
04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Re: getting started and playing with entry level components, I had (well, they are in a box in the basement right now) SMG-A's. Mid-range had a bit of that Maggie slam, but they were decent.

True, but what $600 component doesn't?

I'm really having a ton of fun with these, investigating different amplifiers, etc to see how much more sound can be massaged out of them without spending a ton of money.

They do so much right, this would definitely be a great place to start the high end journey if I were beginning again. It brings back a lot of great memories, as I started out with Magnepan MG-1's back in 1978.

JohnK
04-15-2011, 03:51 PM
The 1.7's are entry level priced at $2,000. I just bought a pair and I'm enjoying the heII out of them. I'm a Revel guy and Revel has a big soundstage but these things throw a soundstage big enough to walk around in and the imaging is just unbelievable. Magnepan has a hit on there hands with these new speakers. I can't wait to hear the 3.7's.

wpines, agree on the large soundstage. How do they do with smaller ensembles, whether chamber music, trios, or even solo players? I've heard some impressive (non-Maggie) setups that grew and shrank with the material being played. Not sure if the Maggie's can do that given their physical size.
:scratch2:

JT3
04-15-2011, 10:15 PM
I have always been intrigued with these speakers, just don't have the space. I understand they can't be near the wall?

Looking forward to the review.

Face
04-16-2011, 09:07 AM
I have always been intrigued with these speakers, just don't have the space. I understand they can't be near the wall?
I tried them in a couple of rooms here and they definitely need room to breathe if you want a nice soundstage.

mldn
10-10-2016, 08:31 AM
Hi guys, i'm Living in the netherlands and there is aren't any dealers here in europe that can supply a set of Magnepan MMGW.
Does anybody know how and where I can get them ?

vinod_david
10-10-2016, 11:27 PM
Awoken from sleep after 5 years.