PDA

View Full Version : Found my old Stanton Stereohedron... Disappointment

Beans
05-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I mentioned this OT in another thread somewhere, but the gist is that the S-type sounded very dull in my 681EEE Mk3 cartridge compared to the "hyper-elliptical" it came with. Does this mean it's worn out, or that I shouldn't expect it to work in the Mk3 body?

gregswaim
05-13-2009, 09:17 PM
I mentioned this OT in another thread somewhere, but the gist is that the S-type sounded very dull in my 681EEE Mk3 cartridge compared to the "hyper-elliptical" it came with. Does this mean it's worn out, or that I shouldn't expect it to work in the Mk3 body?

How old is that pickup?

Beans
05-14-2009, 11:48 AM
How old is that pickup?

It's pretty old... from the early '80s. It's bound to have some wear... it has lots of hours on it but those Stereohedrons were supposed to last because of the lower stress concentrations and therefore less friction against the groove. I'll have to get it 'scoped, and while I'm at it I'll email Stanton and see what they say about putting it in a MkIII body.

Alberto
05-14-2009, 12:06 PM
It's pretty old... from the early '80s. It's bound to have some wear... it has lots of hours on it but those Stereohedrons were supposed to last because of the lower stress concentrations and therefore less friction against the groove. I'll have to get it 'scoped, and while I'm at it I'll email Stanton and see what they say about putting it in a MkIII body.

The stylus might be fine, but after 20-30 years the suspension might be shot.

Alberto

gregswaim
05-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Life expectancy on a pickup is about 7 years due to corrosion and other issues. It's time for a new pickup, then your sound will improve.