PDA

View Full Version : ET5 arrives!

Tonepub
04-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Just got a call from my wife, the ET5 arrived from CJ today, so as soon as I get home from Montreal, it will be rocking!

Puma Cat
04-01-2011, 01:55 AM
Yay!

Are you going to put it on the music server on repeat to get it burrned in?

Ritmo
04-01-2011, 06:21 AM
Keep us posted!

Tonepub
04-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Will do. High probability this one's going to stick around. I haven't had a CJ preamp for about a year....

Dj_AmTraX
04-03-2011, 09:57 AM
I like CJ gear.

Talk2me
04-03-2011, 10:00 AM
I like CJ gear.
Count me in.:thumbsup:

Tonepub
04-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Can't wait, get to hear it tomorrow morning!

cmalak
04-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Jeff...any highlights from SSI? Thx

f1 fan
04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Jeff...sweet! Looking forward to your impressions.

Dave

ronenash
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
What happened to the March issue of Toneaudio. Looking forward to reading your ET3SE review.

Tonepub
04-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Issue 36 will be on zinio on wed and the free version about ten days later.
We only publish 8 times a year, so we aren't monthly...

Tonepub
04-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Jeff...any highlights from SSI? Thx

I'll have something up in the industry news section of our website on wed. Need one day to hook up all the gear that arrived and decompress...

Talk2me
04-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Hopefully, we can read about the CJ and how it compares with your 011.:scratch2:

Tonepub
04-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Approaching 100 hours on the clock and the ET5 is sounding great. At the 500 hour mark, I'll be taking it over to a good friends house where my ACT 2/series 2 lives for a comparison.

Impressive, even with the stock tube. Again, once we hit 500 hours, I've got a brand new EAT tube ready to take its place.

Coppy
04-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Interesting that you'll upgrade to an EAT tube in the Pre. Do you find they make a positive difference in the sound? What improvement would you expect to hear?

Tonepub
04-10-2011, 09:12 PM
The EAT tubes are fantastic. If it makes the same difference it has in every other preamp I've used it in, it should be a substantial jump. Quieter, better tonality and bigger sound.

We'll see. Don't want to put the hours on the EAT tube until the ET5 is pretty much broken in. It's been playing day and night since I unboxed it.

Coppy
04-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks. I always enjoy your reviews and look forward to this one. Guess I'll need two EATs for the GAT Pre. My amps are C-J's LP140 Monos. Each side has 7 tubes, quite an investment if I used EATs all the way through. Would you consider them at all for use in the Mono Amps?

Talk2me
04-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Approaching 100 hours on the clock and the ET5 is sounding great. At the 500 hour mark, I'll be taking it over to a good friends house where my ACT 2/series 2 lives for a comparison.

Impressive, even with the stock tube. Again, once we hit 500 hours, I've got a brand new EAT tube ready to take its place.

LOL. I would be more than willing to keep any gear you have at my house to use for,"comparisons". :D

Tonepub
04-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Thanks. I always enjoy your reviews and look forward to this one. Guess I'll need two EATs for the GAT Pre. My amps are C-J's LP140 Monos. Each side has 7 tubes, quite an investment if I used EATs all the way through. Would you consider them at all for use in the Mono Amps?

The EAT Tubes are admittedly pretty spendy, but so far the sonic benefit is as good as any rare NOS tubes I've had the chance to try, and at least these have a guarantee if they fail prematurely. I've had a few expensive NOS tubes croak in a short period of time with no recourse.

The EAT output tubes worked great in my LP70, but that only required four. At about 1600 per quad, it's up to you if that's cost effective for your power amps.

But I would highly suggest trying a pair in your GAT. Or even your favorite NOS 6922's. So far, the result has been spectacular in every preamp I've tried them. Bigger soundstage, lower noise and better dynamics. The GAT is an awesome preamp, so you'll probably hear a pretty decent difference. Let us know what you think...

Coppy
04-15-2011, 05:56 PM
The EAT Tubes are admittedly pretty spendy, but so far the sonic benefit is as good as any rare NOS tubes I've had the chance to try, and at least these have a guarantee if they fail prematurely. I've had a few expensive NOS tubes croak in a short period of time with no recourse.

The EAT output tubes worked great in my LP70, but that only required four. At about 1600 per quad, it's up to you if that's cost effective for your power amps.

But I would highly suggest trying a pair in your GAT. Or even your favorite NOS 6922's. So far, the result has been spectacular in every preamp I've tried them. Bigger soundstage, lower noise and better dynamics. The GAT is an awesome preamp, so you'll probably hear a pretty decent difference. Let us know what you think

Reply...

TonePub,

Good suggestions, thanks. I've ordered a pair of the EAT ECC88s for the Gat. The dealer is expecting a shipment soon. To be sure of fit in the GAT, tried to order them w/o the spiked thingy on the outside but despite being listed in the price sheet, they're not available that way.

The LP140s have a critical driver tube up front. That may be a place to try an EAT without spending $3200 for two quads. By the way, C-J has an update for the LP140s that makes that single perfect driver tube less critical. Don't know if it applies to your LP70.

Got to figure out how you guys do the nice gray quote boxes for reply on this site...

Coppy
04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Hmm... guess you just use the Quote button at the bottom. Go figure.

Tonepub
04-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Just press the quote button in the lower left corner!

didn't think of that with the GAT! Please let me know if they fit. I know they won't fit in the front of my C500 Mac preamp either....

Hope you have a good experience.

As for power tubes, the Shuguangs and the Gold Lions have both provided a good upgrade to quite a few of the members here. No where near as expensive.

Coppy
04-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Just press the quote button in the lower left corner!

didn't think of that with the GAT! Please let me know if they fit. I know they won't fit in the front of my C500 Mac preamp either....

Hope you have a good experience.

As for power tubes, the Shuguangs and the Gold Lions have both provided a good upgrade to quite a few of the members here. No where near as expensive.

Thanks again... and I note issue 36 arrived in my inbox yesterday. Your Scotty makes a nice Avitar... Bichon here.

Tonepub
04-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Actually he was a Kerry Blue! Great dog though. He passed away last year, but I'm about ready for a pup again!

Puma Cat
04-17-2011, 02:55 PM

But I would highly suggest trying a pair in your GAT. Or even your favorite NOS 6922's. So far, the result has been spectacular in every preamp I've tried them. Bigger soundstage, lower noise and better dynamics. The GAT is an awesome preamp, so you'll probably hear a pretty decent difference. Let us know what you think

Reply...

TonePub,

Good suggestions, thanks. I've ordered a pair of the EAT ECC88s for the Gat. The dealer is expecting a shipment soon. To be sure of fit in the GAT, tried to order them w/o the spiked thingy on the outside but despite being listed in the price sheet, they're not available that way.

The LP140s have a critical driver tube up front. That may be a place to try an EAT without spending $3200 for two quads. By the way, C-J has an update for the LP140s that makes that single perfect driver tube less critical. Don't know if it applies to your LP70.

Got to figure out how you guys do the nice gray quote boxes for reply on this site...

Yes, you may have trouble with the EAT tube dampers not fitting in the GAT with the acrylic tube protector thingys. I had the same trouble with a set of Herbies' tube dampers fitting when using the plexi tube guards on the three front input tubes on my LP70s. They wouldn't fit with the plexi pieces without making the tube sit cockeyed in the socket. This caused a failure mode in two of those three input tubes in the front (like the ones on your LP140s) that required me to replace these input tube sockets). If you can remove the unusual metal EAT tube dampers, they would likely fit in your GAT with using the C-J style red neoprene O-ring type tube dampers. Or you can use the EAT ones, but you may have to remove the plexi "tube guards".

Tonepub
04-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Removing the tube dampers that also function as heat sinks will void the warranty on the EAT tubes. I'd suggest getting a pair from music direct so that you can return them if they dont fit properly.

In the case that they don't, give Kevin deal a call and get three of his best 6922's.. Get a third matched tube, so you have a spare in case one fails prematurely.

Hope they fit ok...

Puma Cat
04-20-2011, 01:46 AM
For the OP:

The 6922 tubes that Kevin Deal recommended to me for my LP70S and Premier 17 were the Ediswan NOS 6922s....pricey at Platinum Grade at $150, but they sound very good in my LP70S.

Me, I am going to try out the new Genalex Gold Lion 6922.

Tonepub
04-20-2011, 08:35 AM
The tube quality in the GAT is much more critical than it is in the driver stage of an LP70, or any power amplifier for that matter.

Youve already dropped 20k on one of the worlds finest linestages, don't cheap out on a pair of tubes if you really want to get the maximum from your GAT. As this preamp has only been out dot a year, the handful of good NOS tube guys haven't had a lot of experience with it, so you may try a few things before you get the the exact sound you want.

The ET5 has passed the 500 hr point and switching to the EAT tube has made it quieter, more dynamic and slightly less grainy on the top end. As the ET5 is heavily based on the GAT design, I suspect you would have similar luck, provided the tube will fit.

turntable
04-21-2011, 06:22 AM
I have been a bit scared to even contemplate NOS 6922's for my ART3, too bloody expensive when I need 10 and a couple of spares, but I am very happy with the stk tubes.

- more dynamic and quieter does sound enticing - I have no issues with grain on top thou. Doe the EAT tubes change the overall tone of the ET5 / GAT?

ET5 is grainy on top?

BTW Coppy, nice to see another cj owner :banana:

Tonepub
04-21-2011, 10:29 AM
I have been a bit scared to even contemplate NOS 6922's for my ART3, too bloody expensive when I need 10 and a couple of spares, but I am very happy with the stk tubes.

- more dynamic and quieter does sound enticing - I have no issues with grain on top thou. Doe the EAT tubes change the overall tone of the ET5 / GAT?

ET5 is grainy on top?

BTW Coppy, nice to see another cj owner :banana:

Well, that is the issue with the ART3, but seriously, the tube life is pretty long. While EAT tubes might not make sense for that preamp, you could probably find some decent tubes in the 50-75 ea range that will really knock your socks off compared to the stock tubes.

The EAT tubes have not changed tonality in any preamplifier I've used them with thus far.

The ET5 is not grainy on top, but when you hear the diff between the stock tube and the EAT, it is much cleaner sounding. It's not the preamp, it's the $10 tube they put in at the factory.

That's one of the most fun aspects of this preamplifier and the GAT. With only one or two tubes, you can try a few different options without breaking the bank.

But that being said, the ART series preamps respond incredibly well to tube rolling. As you can well imagine if CJ put premium tubes in them from the factory, it would raise the cost considerably.

Rayooo
06-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Can anyone comment on whether an ET-5 is supposed to "remember" what input was last selected? I was just looking at one, and it always goes to CD input upon power on regardless of which input was selected when power switch was pushed.

I'd of course expect it to default to some input if AC power is removed, I'm speaking of course of power off/on via front panel button.

Thanks,

Tonepub
06-29-2011, 04:38 PM
That's how all of the recent CJ preamps work. Everything is fine!

Jerome W
06-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Rayooo, welcome too AA :wave:

Rayooo
06-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Rayooo, welcome too AA :wave:

thank you, It was great to see a CJ section on a forum, so I had to join right up! Still feeling my way around a bit.

..ET-5 just arrived today!

Rayooo
06-29-2011, 05:30 PM
That's how all of the recent CJ preamps work. Everything is fine!

thank you! I figured since the name of this thread was ET5 arrives, and mine has just arrived today, it would be a good place to ask questions, 'hope it's OK!

I called CJ also and asked them (Ed) He was a gracious as I'd remembered from a year ago or so when I'd last spoken to him. He said they would provide a firmware update for me that would remember last selected input.

I apologized for complaining about such a minor issue, but I'll have input memory soon. :banana:

cmalak
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Rayooo...congrats on your new ET5 and the firmware fix and welcome to AA :wave:

Let us know what the rest of your system is and how the ET5 is breaking in.

Rayooo
06-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Rayooo...congrats on your new ET5 and the firmware fix and welcome to AA :wave:

Let us know what the rest of your system is and how the ET5 is breaking in.

was a very happy Magnepan 3.6 person up until January this year, then I hear mention of 3.7. Well, that started a spiral of sorts. Ordered the 3.7s in January and they just showed up two weeks ago.

it was only a couple months back I'd heard of the ET-5. I'm a relatively new CJ person, 'had a classic and ET3, liked them both very much!

I guess about a year ago I did an experiment whereas I purchased a W4S DAC-2 and began experimenting with FLAC playback via J-River, Kernel streaming to the DAC. The experiment was a fantastic success and thus it basically put my Marantz SA11S2 out of business.

So, sold the Marantz for pretty good $$, traded in old preamp and thus was able to swing the ET-5.

Power amp is Primare A32, I seem to be the only person on the planet who owns one. it works will with the maggies & it's pretty good at simply passing along what's fed to it.

I've always been a proponent of having the pwr amp as neutral as possible and capable of driving whatever speakers are preferred...then tweaking the overall system sound with preamp. (in my case always tube based preamp!), cables, etc.

I guess in some respects both CJ and Maggies fall into "ya either love them or hate them". I absolutely positively love the combination, spent 10+ years finding it, but now have.

The ET5 is already making me smile only an hour or so in. wow, sorry for the rambling.

cmalak
06-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Rayooo...that's great :thumbsup: Thanks for walking through it. There is a budding and growing C-J contingent on AA. I am sure they will chime in as well.

Jeff...sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. How goes the ET5 evaluation?

bradleyc
06-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Rayooo......Welcome to AA! Glad to hear you've finally put together such a satisfying system, 6 months is a long time to wait :eek:

Tonepub
06-30-2011, 03:12 AM
Rayooo...that's great :thumbsup: Thanks for walking through it. There is a budding and growing C-J contingent on AA. I am sure they will chime in as well.

Jeff...sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. How goes the ET5 evaluation?

Almost done, review will be in issue#39

Rafale
06-30-2011, 06:48 AM
was a very happy Magnepan 3.6 person up until January this year, then I hear mention of 3.7. Well, that started a spiral of sorts. Ordered the 3.7s in January and they just showed up two weeks ago.

it was only a couple months back I'd heard of the ET-5. I'm a relatively new CJ person, 'had a classic and ET3, liked them both very much!

I guess about a year ago I did an experiment whereas I purchased a W4S DAC-2 and began experimenting with FLAC playback via J-River, Kernel streaming to the DAC. The experiment was a fantastic success and thus it basically put my Marantz SA11S2 out of business.

So, sold the Marantz for pretty good $$, traded in old preamp and thus was able to swing the ET-5.

Power amp is Primare A32, I seem to be the only person on the planet who owns one. it works will with the maggies & it's pretty good at simply passing along what's fed to it.

I've always been a proponent of having the pwr amp as neutral as possible and capable of driving whatever speakers are preferred...then tweaking the overall system sound with preamp. (in my case always tube based preamp!), cables, etc.

I guess in some respects both CJ and Maggies fall into "ya either love them or hate them". I absolutely positively love the combination, spent 10+ years finding it, but now have.

The ET5 is already making me smile only an hour or so in. wow, sorry for the rambling.

another CJ lover :banana:Rayooo it is great to meet you:thumbsup:
thanks in advance for keeping us updated about the ET5 break in
Philippe

cmalak
06-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Rayooo...great to see the Red subscriber banner next to your name right off the bat :thumbsup: Also, looking forward to your comments on the ET5 :yes:

Tonepub
06-30-2011, 09:41 AM
I highly suggest an EAT tube once you've got about 500 hours on your preamplifier. It makes a huge difference....

Rayooo
06-30-2011, 10:23 AM
'no more than about a half hour after first firing up the ET-5 did I start thinking about a bit of tube tweaking, and it'll be EAT for sure.

I'll probably end up popping one in even before the thing is fully broken in.

Tonepub
06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
The great news is that they are supposed to last about 10,000 hours and you only need one!

Puma Cat
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
There's only one tube in the ET-5?

Rafale
06-30-2011, 03:12 PM

it seems...
for information
EAT ECC88 selected 110 euros
EAT ECC88 diamond 160 euros
can t wait the 500 h level for the swap :nono:

Rayooo
06-30-2011, 03:16 PM

Yup, 1ea. 6922 mounted on a little flex sub-PWA, presumably to cut down on the tube picking up external vibes. And with 24 of those cute little volume control relays "cliking" away when one changes the volume, it's probably a very good idea!

My ET-3 had no balance adjustment, it had 12 relays only. With the ET-5 it's double the fun.

a single 6922 definitely makes tube tweaking a bit easier than if one had to roll 2, 3 or more tubes at a pop.

Rafale
06-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Yup, 1ea. 6922 mounted on a little flex sub-PWA, presumably to cut down on the tube picking up external vibes. And with 24 of those cute little volume control relays "cliking" away when one changes the volume, it's probably a very good idea!

My ET-3 had no balance adjustment, it had 12 relays only. With the ET-5 it's double the fun.

a single 6922 definitely makes tube tweaking a bit easier than if one had to roll 2, 3 or more tubes at a pop.

Rayooo
any small noise like a diapason decay , in your speakers to be heard when you change the volume at low level ?

Philippe

Rayooo
06-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Rayooo
any small noise like a diapason decay , in your speakers to be heard when you change the volume at low level ?

Philippe

On both ET3 and ET5, with ear against the speaker (no music playing of course) if one runs the volume up/down you can hear faint "cliks" from the speakers themselves. This is actually somewhat similar to what I used to hear on an old preamp I had with a stepped attenuator volume control.

The cliks are no louder at full volume than at lower volume, and are impossible to hear from listening chair. Having said that, when seated, the audible relay noise from the chassis probably masks any chance of hearing cliks emanating from the speakers themselves.

these definitely sound "electrical" in nature and do not have that micro-phonic sound at all. I had a tube go bad in the ET3 where the relays were "microphonically" ..if that's a word, cross talking into the tube. None of that here.

One other thing I did notice, on ET3 with volume control set between 95 and max, a slight hum was present in the speakers (again listening up close) the ET-5 is dead quiet all the way up to 98 with a very slight hum present at 99.