PDA

View Full Version : Help with Basic HT Setup Question

multiham
03-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Trying to setup a very basic HT for my sister. She loves to stream baseball games from her Mac Mini right to her tv. She is looking to add a basic receiver, speakers and Blu Ray to have a nice 5.1 system. She asked me if it is possible to do the following:

She would like to stream the baseball game from the Mac Mini and at the same time listen to the local AM or FM broadcast of the game as she likes the local announcers versus the ones calling the game on the internet. Basically, she is looking to run the video from the internet through her receiver and at the same time use the AM/FM tuner on the receiver for the audio. Is this possible to do? If so, does she need a special capability on the receiver? I told her one obvious problem is going to be the syncing of the radio call versus the video stream. She is okay for now with that.

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

Steve

BlueChiaro
03-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Steve, I thought the MLB.tv package gives you the option to listen to the local broadcast?? I'd wanna hear Franzke & LA, too! :yes: Can't you just get a video, only, feed out of the mac? I've never connected my computer to a TV, but I would think you could do that.

Just looked it up...you can get local with the premium package. (hope this works) MLB.TV (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=mlbtv&affiliateId=MLBTVREDIRECT) Of course, that's local TV, so it wouldn't give her Franzke & LA.

Dj_AmTraX
03-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I think the new Mac Mini has HDMI which also sends audio to the TV. She can then use the optical out to the receiver's Zone 2 (you will need another speaker, perhaps mono) to hear the AM/FM.

piolaxo
03-27-2011, 02:41 PM
If the Mac has HDMI why don't just send the video signal straight to the TV, mute the TV and then use the radio from the receiver? I know it may be out of sync, but it may work out. I would try that first.