PDA

View Full Version : The Gryphon show

bart
03-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Hello friends,
I want to share last Sunday's experience: 'The Cost is no Object Show' at Alpha High End in Antwerp.
This is a yearly event (last year: MBL) at this lovely hifi shop, with 11 auditioning rooms, and an awful lot of good brands. I always feel like a little boy in a tremendous candy shop!
Sammy Feldman was as ever a wonderful host. We have already spent quite some time there, listening to good music, and bit by bit forming our idea about our future audio heaven.
The link below shows some photographs of the event, with the three sets, and a lot of the other stuff, including old TV's, film camera's, and other delicious relics of our grand parents era.
Pics taken by my wife. You see Sammy in action. My youngest daughter also appears. She's growing up in an audiophile atmosphere...
Set 1: Gryphon Scorpio (CD), Gryphon Attila (integrated amp), Gryphon Mojo (standmounters): very good imaging and soundstage, bass a bit limited and boxy.
Set 2: Gryphon Mikado (CD), Gryphon Diablo (top integrated amp), Wilson Audio Sasha: vigorous sound, accurate and deep bass, but a bit harsh highs, and the music not really released from the speakers.
Set 3: all Gryphon system: Mikado (CD), Mirage (pre), Colloseum (power), Trident (2nd in hierarchy of the speakers, semi-active): very impressive sound, this time the music really ín the room, thundering but very agile bass (system response 16-40.000Hz); one low: small sweet spot, but this might be due to the room's dimensions (6x12m). I think you really need a big room to let the speaker develop to its full potential.

"Cost no object show" at Alpha High End in Antwerp (http://www.zahren.be/gallery/alpha_high_end/)

TommyC
03-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Very cool. Nice photos too. Thanks for sharing.

howiebrou
03-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks for sharing. Gryphon is excellent especially the Mirage and Colleseum combo! :thumbsup:

howie

Still-One
03-16-2011, 07:33 PM
I lived just outside of Antwerp (Schilde) for a couple of years in the late 90's. I never could find the good hi-end shops. We needed this site back then. :mad:

Thanks for posting.

Jim

howiebrou
03-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I lived just outside of Antwerp (Schilde) for a couple of years in the late 90's. I never could find the good hi-end shops. We needed this site back then. :mad:

Thanks for posting.

Jim

Antwerp is a lovely place. But my favourite was the late night visit to the Frites stalls for chips with garlic mayonnaise :banana:

Still-One
03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Antwerp is a lovely place. But my favourite was the late night visit to the Frites stalls for chips with garlic mayonnaise :banana:
How about the big buckets of Mussels during Rubensmarkt in August. :yes:

howiebrou
03-16-2011, 10:50 PM
How about the big buckets of Mussels during Rubensmarkt in August. :yes:

Ooooh. Moules mariniere avec pomme frites and some crusty french bread :banana:

Gonna have to cook that this weekend. Music can wait!!!!!

bart
03-17-2011, 04:02 AM
You could cook wíth music...!
;-)

Talk2me
03-19-2011, 02:42 AM
I saw the Rabbi, but where was the Priest? :) Simply stunning resolution. What lens did you use for the beautiful close ups?

bart
03-19-2011, 04:57 AM
The 'Rabbi' is the wonderful Sammy Feldman, the shopkeeper; or his associate (Standing by the TV's). They close on Saturdays (naturally) but keep their business always open on Sundays. Very convenient for a nice day out! :music:
The close-ups: Canon D20 with a Canon EF 50mm 1:1.4 lens, all taken by my wife. :thumbsup:

1KW
03-19-2011, 06:53 AM
You are lucky to have a nice shop like that near you. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

bart
03-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Most welcome!
Bart