PDA

View Full Version : Devialet

Talk2me
03-08-2011, 04:00 PM
I have read and heard some amazing things about the new class A/D Devialet. There is a great report on it in Tone by our esteemed member. Anyone else have any contact with the Devialet?

howiebrou
03-08-2011, 07:25 PM
I have read and heard some amazing things about the new class A/D Devialet. There is a great report on it in Tone by our esteemed member. Anyone else have any contact with the Devialet?

I would loooove to demo this one. Sounds like a great solution to a compact, good looking digital system. :yes:

TommyC
03-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Ya, it's highly configurable. Some guy used 4 Devialets to drive his B&W Snail Nautilus.

Tonepub
03-09-2011, 12:12 AM
It really is a cool product. I could have been even gushier about the review. As it is I'm getting slammed on a few other boards for being "too enthusiastic."

Their hybrid Class A/Class D thing really works. Much more organic sounding than any class D I've ever heard.

'cisco
03-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Here's a few vids of the Devialet...

YouTube - Devialet D-Premier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4dyO7lUIek)

YouTube - Devialet D-Premier daisy chaining lab demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNDHQfe6QBw)

YouTube - Devialet D-Premier @Munich High End 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDxoo0UrhlY)

YouTube - European High End Audio 2010 2011 Devialet D Premier EISA The European Imaging and Sound Association Mozilla Firefox 00 00 25 00 00 52 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVxuVkcyFQ)

YouTube - Ampli Devialet D-premier New Music Brussels - www.newmusic.be - ©Yvan Hubert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZPbsHEqxwA)

Puma Cat
03-09-2011, 01:08 AM
It really is a cool product. I could have been even gushier about the review. As it is I'm getting slammed on a few other boards for being "too enthusiastic."

I saw that, but Jeff, I think it's accurate to say that most of those guys on "that other board" don't know WTF they are talking about.

joeinid
03-10-2011, 05:20 AM

Their hybrid Class A/Class D thing really works. Much more organic sounding than any class D I've ever heard.

Hi Jeff,

How do you think it compares to your 911 Mk3 ?

Joe

Tonepub
03-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Still not in the 911 league. But I don't expect it to be. Remember, you're getting a power amp, preamp, DAC, phono stage and streamer for 16k. So the amp is worth about 4500 if you parcel it out.

The 911 mk. 3 is still the world's best amplifier in my book. And that's the only product I've ever said that about. It really has perfect tonality, tons of power (but a pair of them are even better) and an overall sound that never leaves me wanting to deal with vacuum tubes, and that's from a tube lover.

While I've heard a couple of tube amps that might have a few more molecules of magic than the 911, they don't have the overall sound that the 911 possesses. And, considering that I have my system on 10-16 hours a day, tube power amps are impractical for every day use around here, at least as a reference component.

The Devialet is definitely the top of its class. Even if you take the DAC and Phono stage out of the equation, I think you would be hard pressed to find a $16,000 amp and preamp that sound better. Different maybe, and certainly nothing that will fit into your decor like the Devialet does.

It might be the only product out there that is this gorgeous that also has audiophile performance. I certainly haven't seen another component with this performance that is also compact and attractive.

BuffaloBill
03-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Even if you take the DAC and Phono stage out of the equation, I think you would be hard pressed to find a $16,000 amp and preamp that sound better.

Different strokes for different folks. I would take $16,000 worth of new McIntosh amp and preamp in a heartbeat over this unit.

Still-One
03-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Here's a few vids of the Devialet...

YouTube - Devialet D-Premier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4dyO7lUIek)

YouTube - Devialet D-Premier daisy chaining lab demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNDHQfe6QBw)

YouTube - Devialet D-Premier @Munich High End 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDxoo0UrhlY)

YouTube - European High End Audio 2010 2011 Devialet D Premier EISA The European Imaging and Sound Association Mozilla Firefox 00 00 25 00 00 52 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVxuVkcyFQ)

YouTube - Ampli Devialet D-premier New Music Brussels - www.newmusic.be - ©Yvan Hubert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZPbsHEqxwA)
'cisco

Thanks for posting those.

Jim

TommyC
03-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Still not in the 911 league. But I don't expect it to be. Remember, you're getting a power amp, preamp, DAC, phono stage and streamer for 16k. So the amp is worth about 4500 if you parcel it out.

The 911 mk. 3 is still the world's best amplifier in my book. And that's the only product I've ever said that about. It really has perfect tonality, tons of power (but a pair of them are even better) and an overall sound that never leaves me wanting to deal with vacuum tubes, and that's from a tube lover.

While I've heard a couple of tube amps that might have a few more molecules of magic than the 911, they don't have the overall sound that the 911 possesses. And, considering that I have my system on 10-16 hours a day, tube power amps are impractical for every day use around here, at least as a reference component.

The Devialet is definitely the top of its class. Even if you take the DAC and Phono stage out of the equation, I think you would be hard pressed to find a $16,000 amp and preamp that sound better. Different maybe, and certainly nothing that will fit into your decor like the Devialet does.

It might be the only product out there that is this gorgeous that also has audiophile performance. I certainly haven't seen another component with this performance that is also compact and attractive.

What's your take on using 2 Devialet as monos? Do you think this will elevate the performance?

joeinid
03-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the insight Jeff, I appreciate it.

'cisco
03-10-2011, 11:24 PM
'cisco

Thanks for posting those.

Jim

My pleasure Jim :thumbsup:

Tonepub
03-11-2011, 04:26 AM
What's your take on using 2 Devialet as monos? Do you think this will elevate the performance?

I can't comment, I didn't have two for the review, only one!

There were only two of them in North America, period when I got it. Perhaps when we do the follow up this summer, they will send two of them...

TommyC
03-11-2011, 04:55 PM
I can't comment, I didn't have two for the review, only one!

There were only two of them in North America, period when I got it. Perhaps when we do the follow up this summer, they will send two of them...

Gotcha.

Talk2me
03-14-2011, 11:38 PM
2 is always better than one, if you know what I mean. :smoking:

Tonepub
03-15-2011, 01:45 AM
Personally, I'd like to see them introduce one that's just a power amp for the person who wants to do that, so they don't have to buy another preamp and DAC just to get the power amp. Who knows, if they have good success with this one it might be an option? Make it the same size, just have it in slave mode or something like that...

I'll be seeing them in Montreal, so I'll pester them!

cougit25
03-15-2011, 03:34 AM
It sure is pretty!:yes:

Talk2me
03-15-2011, 04:44 AM
Personally, I'd like to see them introduce one that's just a power amp for the person who wants to do that, so they don't have to buy another preamp and DAC just to get the power amp. Who knows, if they have good success with this one it might be an option? Make it the same size, just have it in slave mode or something like that...

I'll be seeing them in Montreal, so I'll pester them!
+1.

Still-One
03-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Personally, I'd like to see them introduce one that's just a power amp for the person who wants to do that,!
That would be interesting. On a unit as complete as the Devialet, are you really hearing her amps, the pre, the DAC's?

Jim

TommyC
03-15-2011, 03:36 PM
I do think the Devialet has some sort of synergy as an all-in-one unit. Breaking the chain might not sound as good.

cmalak
05-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Here is another review from Soundstage.com: Devialet D-Premier Integrated Amplifier-DAC (http://www.soundstage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=235:devialet-d-premier-integrated-amplifier-dac&catid=55:full-length-reviews&Itemid=4)

It received their Reviewer's Choice award.

TommyC
05-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Very cool. I haven't read this one yet. Thanks.

Still-One
05-16-2011, 01:34 PM
My local dealer was in the process of hooking one up when I was there last week. I did not stick around to hear the unit but I can tell you in is not going to be easy to keep it finger-print free. :no:

Jim

cmalak
05-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Good to have you back Jim :thumbsup:

JemHadar
05-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Checked out their site...I'm impressed with their marketing approach.

...gave up on audio shows a long time ago...but this product would tempt me to check one out if it was on active display.

TommyC
05-16-2011, 04:04 PM
My local dealer was in the process of hooking one up when I was there last week. I did not stick around to hear the unit but I can tell you in is not going to be easy to keep it finger-print free. :no:

Jim

The unit comes with a pair of white glove :yes:
YouTube - Audiophile Club - Unpacking DEVIALET D-Premier (LOW QUALITY VIDEO - Soon a new best video) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3dOM0FbkUo)

Btw,this is a 4-part mini series on the Devialet. I wish I understand what they are talking about.
YouTube - Devialet Premier - 1re partie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V50d-DGlnIM)

weird
05-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I just recently heard this and it was very nice. It has a very silky synthetic sound to it. Very hifi sounding but very good. I came away with the impression that this is where home audio is headed. It reminded me of the first time i seen a Pioneer plasma tv. That was in the 90's and the cost was 25k on it. Now the same tv is under a grand. It makes me wonder if the cost of this technology might go down. We might be seeing the same caliber for 5k in the not so distant future....hopefully because it was slick sounding.

Still-One
05-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I just recently heard this and it was very nice. It has a very silky synthetic sound to it. Very hifi sounding but very good. I came away with the impression that this is where home audio is headed. It reminded me of the first time i seen a Pioneer plasma tv. That was in the 90's and the cost was 25k on it. Now the same tv is under a grand. It makes me wonder if the cost of this technology might go down. We might be seeing the same caliber for 5k in the not so distant future....hopefully because it was slick sounding.
I don't think this company has it sites set on the Big Box market for its product(s). I am sure it sounds great and there is no doubt it hits all the styling buttons for many of us. My concern is that $16k for an integrated/all-in-one is a tough market.

Jim

weird
05-16-2011, 06:45 PM
^^^^^^

Yah i know thats my problem with it. If you have a chance check it out, it will get you thinking about where home audio is headed.

TommyC
05-16-2011, 06:55 PM

I'm perplexed by what you meant by "silky synthetic sound."

weird
05-16-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm perplexed by what you meant by "silky synthetic sound."

It sounds cyborg .... ha, it just had a remanufactured sound to it with no digital glare. We were using the BCD and BDP, I have owned the Bryston BCD and yet have never heard that player sound like that. It didn't seem to care that it was hooked up into a lousy $5 outlet bar either . It was able to get air around the guitar and synthesizer fillers in Scofield's Uber Jam tracks i was listening to.

I wasn't able to drive into a tough load though, i wanted to hook it up to a pair ML's but wasn't allowed to do that. It didn't have the sensation of huge power behind it like i get with my Bryston 14B, I was looking for that but didn't have the chance to see if it was there.

We were using a moderate pair of Snell floorstanders, they were nice but inappropriately matched imo. Kind of pissed me off actually.

Still-One
05-16-2011, 07:41 PM
The dealer here had it paired with some Saha's the day I was there but they move their speakers from room to room depending on what the customer wants to here.

TommyC
05-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Another review.

6moons audio reviews: Devialet D-Premier (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/devialet2/1.html)

Tonepub
05-18-2011, 10:40 AM
It sounds cyborg .... ha, it just had a remanufactured sound to it with no digital glare. We were using the BCD and BDP, I have owned the Bryston BCD and yet have never heard that player sound like that. It didn't seem to care that it was hooked up into a lousy $5 outlet bar either . It was able to get air around the guitar and synthesizer fillers in Scofield's Uber Jam tracks i was listening to.

I wasn't able to drive into a tough load though, i wanted to hook it up to a pair ML's but wasn't allowed to do that. It didn't have the sensation of huge power behind it like i get with my Bryston 14B, I was looking for that but didn't have the chance to see if it was there.

We were using a moderate pair of Snell floorstanders, they were nice but inappropriately matched imo. Kind of pissed me off actually.

I had no problems driving the CLX or magnepans with it. This amplifier did a better job of driving tough speakers than any full class d amplifier I've ever tried.

The Devialet has a neutral to slightly forward character to it. Playing it with a Bryston source wouldnt be my first choice..

weird
05-18-2011, 12:28 PM
^^^^^^

I would use the BDP into the onboard dac.

I think this technology could get licenced out becoming more mainstream and cheaper. I hope so because i would look at this technology if it was cheaper.

Tonepub
05-18-2011, 03:22 PM
It already is pretty reasonable. $16k buys you an amp, preamp, DAC, phono preamp and music streamer. If you subtract a few thousand bucks for interconnects and power cords, you're paying about $3500 for the amp, $3500 for the preamp, $3500 for the DAC, $2000 for the phono preamp and $500 for the streamer.

Not really crazy money and it doesn't need a rack.

f1eng
07-05-2011, 03:25 PM
I do not change my equipment often and when I do I give myself lots of time for home demos of what I am interested in.
I am an engineer, I even worked for Garrard in the '70s so I am interested in good engineering and have a fair knowledge of manufacturing costs.
My system has been all Goldmund for about 15+ years but i was intrigued by the DeVialet engineering. To cut a long story short I have bought one and am planning a second to use a master and slave as monoblocks.
IMO the clever engineering has allowed astonishing value. The most expensive thing in an amp is the power supply and here the clever engineering of DeVialet has allowed superb performance for probably 100x less than a conventional power supply. This on its own makes the unit amazing value for money.
The other potentially expensive part is the enclosure, and here the DeVialet is every bit as extravagant as other high end kit, but again saves by having fewer expensive boxes, not to mention the interconnects...

I have seen at least one post wishing for the amp only, without DAC and pre, but a quick look at their website shows that any suggestion that this is a DAC pre and power amps integrated together is only a od to tradition to describe it to the public. The way it works the DAC is just as much part of the preamp and power amp as it is the DAC so you have to get your head round the fact that these old concepts are no longer relevant in this unit. It is worth a look if you are technically interested/minded.

One thing it is -not- is a hobbyist bit of kit. If you get as much fun from listening for the differences between kit/interconnect etc. it won't be of much interest. If you are a music lover who has little interest in the equipment it is a godsend.
best, Frank

Haurock
07-05-2011, 06:30 PM
A very interesting read... not sure it is for me.. too small too polished, but nonetheless.. I like the integration...

By the way, the audio store Audiolight in Quebec City, apparently is an exclusive Canadian dealer.. there is a series of 4 videos on UTube, but in french, so I didn't bother to to include them here.. if anyone wants the links..let me know.

Masterlu
07-05-2011, 06:35 PM
f1eng... Welcome! :wave:

TommyC
07-05-2011, 07:03 PM
A very interesting read... not sure it is for me.. too small too polished, but nonetheless.. I like the integration...

By the way, the audio store Audiolight in Quebec City, apparently is an exclusive Canadian dealer.. there is a series of 4 videos on UTube, but in french, so I didn't bother to to include them here.. if anyone wants the links..let me know.

My local hifi shop also appears to be a dealer (according to Devalet's website). I will have to ask him about auditioning this device.

I have seen the youtube videos but had no idea what they're talking about. Wish it was in English.

Still-One
07-05-2011, 08:14 PM
I do not change my equipment often and when I do I give myself lots of time for home demos of what I am interested in.
I am an engineer, I even worked for Garrard in the '70s so I am interested in good engineering and have a fair knowledge of manufacturing costs.
My system has been all Goldmund for about 15+ years but i was intrigued by the DeVialet engineering. To cut a long story short I have bought one and am planning a second to use a master and slave as monoblocks.
IMO the clever engineering has allowed astonishing value. The most expensive thing in an amp is the power supply and here the clever engineering of DeVialet has allowed superb performance for probably 100x less than a conventional power supply. This on its own makes the unit amazing value for money.
The other potentially expensive part is the enclosure, and here the DeVialet is every bit as extravagant as other high end kit, but again saves by having fewer expensive boxes, not to mention the interconnects...

I have seen at least one post wishing for the amp only, without DAC and pre, but a quick look at their website shows that any suggestion that this is a DAC pre and power amps integrated together is only a od to tradition to describe it to the public. The way it works the DAC is just as much part of the preamp and power amp as it is the DAC so you have to get your head round the fact that these old concepts are no longer relevant in this unit. It is worth a look if you are technically interested/minded.

One thing it is -not- is a hobbyist bit of kit. If you get as much fun from listening for the differences between kit/interconnect etc. it won't be of much interest. If you are a music lover who has little interest in the equipment it is a godsend.
best, Frank
Welcome F1eng :wave:

Nice first post. The unit one local dealer has sounded pretty decent during one quick audition. The defiantly need to work on keeping in polished up as it was a fingerprint magnet.

Jim

TommyC
07-05-2011, 09:39 PM

best, Frank

Do you have firmware 5.3 installed? From the reviews, this firmware improves performance a bit.

cmalak
07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
f1eng...welcome to AA :wave:

f1eng
07-06-2011, 06:40 AM
I did upload the new software upgrade. My unit was still burning in so just sounds better each day so difficult to attribute any improvement to the software.
I met one of the designers who demonstrated the unit with the digital "power steering unit" as he called it removed completely. Then you are listening to a 5 watt class A amp. It drove some Sonus Faber speakers to reasonable levels thus.
I am completely delighted with mine. I met one guy who traded in his Dartzeel amp for one too.

It is the least speaker cable sensitive amp I have ever used and is purported to drive any speaker better than old technology amps, particularly valve, very plausible given the output impedance!
OTOH still bad news for those who like fiddling with their system, it really is fit-n-forget!

TommyC
07-06-2011, 03:27 PM
I met one of the designers who demonstrated the unit with the digital "power steering unit" as he called it removed completely. Then you are listening to a 5 watt class A amp. It drove some Sonus Faber speakers to reasonable levels thus.

Interesting. Does that mean if you go mono, you get 10 watt of class A? That should be plenty for normal listening sessions.

f1eng
07-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Interesting. Does that mean if you go mono, you get 10 watt of class A? That should be plenty for normal listening sessions.

I suppose so, but then the ability to drive any load and its cable insensitivity would be lost. As delivered it has all the strengths of a 5W class A amp and -none-, as far as I can ascertain, of the disadvantages.

Another thing, the phono input is better than most commentators have given credit, particularly wrt noise. I am using an Ortofon Jubilee into an Ortofon T3000 transformer into the MM input FWIW.

TMcD
07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I heard it with a pair of Wilson Sasha, sounded great, but a little to "pleasant" for my taste. For someone looking for a one box solution I doubt you can beat it.

f1eng
07-08-2011, 03:36 PM
I heard it with a pair of Wilson Sasha, sounded great, but a little to "pleasant" for my taste. For someone looking for a one box solution I doubt you can beat it.

I have Goldmund Mimesis 20 DAC, Mimesis 22 preamp and a pair of Mimesis 29.4 monoblocks I chose this after comparison with lots of high end stuff because of its transparency, speed and instrumental timbre. I would say the DeVialet is pretty well as transparent and quieter for about 10% of the money. That is impressive IMO.
FWIW the amps I have owned went Hafler > Musical Fidelity > Krell > Spectral > Goldmund and I evaluated on the way Audio Research, Audio Innovations, Jadis, MBL and Burmester.

Anyway I keep the analogue stuff but have bought the DeVialet. Which is better (for my taste at least) will be the one I end up listening to most!

TommyC
07-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I meant one can use the first 10W in pure Class A. If more power is needed, the rest 390W of Class A/D can be called in. This should still retain Devialet's ability to drive heavy load.

I suppose so, but then the ability to drive any load and its cable insensitivity would be lost. As delivered it has all the strengths of a 5W class A amp and -none-, as far as I can ascertain, of the disadvantages.

Another thing, the phono input is better than most commentators have given credit, particularly wrt noise. I am using an Ortofon Jubilee into an Ortofon T3000 transformer into the MM input FWIW.

f1eng
07-08-2011, 05:03 PM
I meant one can use the first 10W in pure Class A. If more power is needed, the rest 390W of Class A/D can be called in. This should still retain Devialet's ability to drive heavy load.

But it doesn't work that way. It is not like a traditional amp with the first so many watts (or milliwatts often) class A and the rest in class AB. Here the class A amp is working at around 5 watts when the amp is delivering rated power. That is why it sounds so good, the quality is defined by this.

TommyC
07-08-2011, 05:19 PM
But it doesn't work that way. It is not like a traditional amp with the first so many watts (or milliwatts often) class A and the rest in class AB. Here the class A amp is working at around 5 watts when the amp is delivering rated power. That is why it sounds so good, the quality is defined by this.

My bad. I got it all wrong then! Thanks for clearing this up. I've already contacted my dealer for an audition. Not sure if he can bring in in or not.

TMcD
07-08-2011, 11:43 PM
My bad. I got it all wrong then! Thanks for clearing this up. I've already contacted my dealer for an audition. Not sure if he can bring in in or not.

I was by HiFi Centre a few weeks ago and they has one that I demoed, but I think it was a loner.

TommyC
07-09-2011, 12:56 AM
I was by HiFi Centre a few weeks ago and they has one that I demoed, but I think it was a loner.

Really? That'll be cool. I just emailed the guy I usually deal with. Hopefully the amp is still there.

TMcD
07-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Let me know. I have not been by there for a while. Thanks Tim.

amati
07-19-2011, 04:53 PM

best, Frank

Hello Frank,

I'm also very impressed from this piece of art aswell from the sound.
I read somewhere you also have a Resolution Cantata. Did you have compared both DAC's ?
kr, amati

TommyC
07-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Let me know. I have not been by there for a while. Thanks Tim.

Jim, I got no reply from 2 of my Hifi Centre contacts. But, I managed to find another dealer that will have Devialet for auditioning in the near future. He is a great dealer/friend with a wealth of knowledge on exotic gears. PM me I'll give you his address.

Still-One
07-19-2011, 09:30 PM
When I was at a local dealer last Friday one of the salesmen and I were discussing the units capabilities. He noted they had been driving 800 Diamond Series with it and it sounded great. I will have to hear it for myself next time.

f1eng
07-20-2011, 02:07 AM
Hello Frank,

I'm also very impressed from this piece of art aswell from the sound.
I read somewhere you also have a Resolution Cantata. Did you have compared both DAC's ?
kr, amati

Hi,
It is impossible to compare directly, of course, since you can not separate the DAC contribution of the DeVialet. My analogue system is the Cantata into a Goldmund Mimesis 22 preamp driving a pair of Goldmund Mimesis 29.4 monos into Goldmund Epilog 1&2 speakers. This system is slightly warmer than the DeVialet into the same speakers but the clarity of the DeVialet is at least equal and bass superior. Low level detail is the one thing that really stood out in the Cantata when I compared it with a Linn Klimax DS and a Weiss DAC2. The DeVialet matches this low level resolution.
Hope this helps.

amati
07-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi,
It is impossible to compare directly, of course, since you can not separate the DAC contribution of the DeVialet. My analogue system is the Cantata into a Goldmund Mimesis 22 preamp driving a pair of Goldmund Mimesis 29.4 monos into Goldmund Epilog 1&2 speakers. This system is slightly warmer than the DeVialet into the same speakers but the clarity of the DeVialet is at least equal and bass superior. Low level detail is the one thing that really stood out in the Cantata when I compared it with a Linn Klimax DS and a Weiss DAC2. The DeVialet matches this low level resolution.
Hope this helps.

Thank you !
So both are playing very well.
I'm thinking for my 2nd sytem to play with the Cantata direct to a Krell amp or a Devialet only. What do you think of using the Cantata without a preamp?

f1eng
07-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Thank you !
So both are playing very well.
I'm thinking for my 2nd sytem to play with the Cantata direct to a Krell amp or a Devialet only. What do you think of using the Cantata without a preamp?

I haven't tried the Cantata preamp function, sorry. I was going to try it but haven't yet. Maybe when I get back from holidays.

amati
07-20-2011, 03:40 PM
I haven't tried the Cantata preamp function, sorry. I was going to try it but haven't yet. Maybe when I get back from holidays.
No problem. There are not a lot of people with such a system as yours that can give an opinion/experience on this.
Happy holidays :thumbsup:

adiobum
12-15-2012, 04:51 PM
best, Frank

Frank

Hope you are still active here.

I have had my D-Premier for about three months now and thought I would chime in. I find it an absolute joy, in particular because it simply works. It replaced a stack of boxes and produces equal and with some inputs superior sound.

I can fully agree with your statement above that if you enjoy the mix and change process, it is probably is not for you. Surprisingly though it has taken some time to choose the best inputs for the various sources I use. I will give some examples below.

Wifi to Airport Extreme over TOSLINK sounds surprisingly good - I use this mainly to listen to internet radio as the Devialet AIR (recently upgraded to version 1.5) implementation does not support this function.

Still have Oppo BDP-95 hooked-up with three inputs, analog, digital (RCA), and HDMI (enabled with the recently release 5.7 firmware upgrade). The jury (me) is still out but early results indicate very good quality with the HDMI - this I did not expect - particularly on SACD which prior to HDMI release had to be input via analog.

The phono input has brought my old B&O turntable back to life. OK most of you have considerably more up-to-date, higher end turntables so maybe not relevant but I was never able to get good sound with this 'table and a low priced phono preamp into my ARC Ref3.

Anyhow hope this will generate some new posts on this remarkable product.

Hg

f1eng
12-16-2012, 06:40 AM
Hi,
I'm still here but not very active.
Once you have the Devialet there is not a lot of playing about to be done!
One can now listen to internet radio using Air, and high res music. I still compare Air with Amarra via my Metric halo as a firewire to AES/EBU interface, and can't decide which I prefer, the preference is probably recording specific and small.
I actually bought a second unit soon after the first and with the latest firmware have 500W monos.
I haven't tried the HDMI input yet. I mainly listen to Air or Amarra with a smattering of LPs and CDs from time to time.
I have 4 record decks, A Goldmund Reference/T3f with Ortofon Jubilee, T3000 transformer into the MM input, an EMT 938 connected via a switchbox to the analogue input, and a Roksan and B&O not currently used.
I have my FM tuner and front surround inputs connected to the switchbox also.
I do rather think the Devialet has let the cat amongst the pidgeons.
Dealers and reviewers who rely on box swappers to generate interest and income can hardly be hugely supportive of it publicly since it damages business, but the dealer I got mine from says it is difficult to recommend anything else on sound quality grounds at any price. One of his customers replaced Dartzeel with Devialet and quite a few have replaced other more expensive kit with Devialet simply because it is better on audition, and -much- easier to house.

f1eng
12-16-2012, 06:52 AM
No problem. There are not a lot of people with such a system as yours that can give an opinion/experience on this.
Happy holidays :thumbsup:
Very late response, sorry!
I have now settled on two Devialets as my main sytem, so the Goldmund kit is sitting unused.
The Cantata has migrated to a second system being used as the preamp too driving Nuforce Ref9SE monos into Yamaha NS1000s, which I bought new decades ago. A bit of a waste of the Cantata in a way, but the system sounds great - fast punchy and clear.

howiebrou
12-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Very late response, sorry!
I have now settled on two Devialets as my main sytem, so the Goldmund kit is sitting unused.
The Cantata has migrated to a second system being used as the preamp too driving Nuforce Ref9SE monos into Yamaha NS1000s, which I bought new decades ago. A bit of a waste of the Cantata in a way, but the system sounds great - fast punchy and clear.

Which Goldmund 22 preamp do you have? Gonna get rid of it? :scratch2:

howie

f1eng
12-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Which Goldmund 22 preamp do you have? Gonna get rid of it? :scratch2:

howie
I have the original Mimesis 22. Not planning on selling it (it is 220volt anyway).
Goldmund are a PITA with units changing country anyway, and not very helpful with service technicians, even of the official importer I had a fault fixed on one of my 29.4 monos and Goldmund were so unhelpful over it the technician asked me not to ask him to service the other....

howiebrou
12-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I have the original Mimesis 22. Not planning on selling it (it is 220volt anyway).
Goldmund are a PITA with units changing country anyway, and not very helpful with service technicians, even of the official importer I had a fault fixed on one of my 29.4 monos and Goldmund were so unhelpful over it the technician asked me not to ask him to service the other....

Thanks. I just bought a Mimesis 22S last night so i should be set.

TommyC
12-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks. I just bought a Mimesis 22S last night so i should be set.

Congrats Howie!! When is delivery?

howiebrou
12-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Congrats Howie!! When is delivery?

I need to drop off my Kondo M77 as a trade in then i can pick it up. Sonetime this week i suspect.

Howie

miziq
12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
I need to drop off my Kondo M77 as a trade in then i can pick it up. Sonetime this week i suspect.

Howie

Hey Hovie.

No hard feelings letting Kondo go?

howiebrou
12-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Hey Hovie.

No hard feelings letting Kondo go?

Not really. The Ongaku was much more difficult to give up. I got the 22S last night and connected it up. I think the Telos 2500 have got nearer their potential now. The difference was quite marked but I'll start another thread for this.:yes:

howie

Elberoth
12-18-2012, 09:14 PM
One of his customers replaced Dartzeel with Devialet and quite a few have replaced other more expensive kit with Devialet simply because it is better on audition, and -much- easier to house.

Dealers talk :boring: Right now, there is an ad for Magico Q7 on AgoN, and the seler (distributor for brand X) is claiming that the owner traded those for their cheapest model ($10k or thereabouts), 'cos it sounds better.

Having heard both darTZeel and Devialet in my system, I can assure you, that the darTZeel is much, much better.

markmck79
12-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Dealers talk :boring: Right now, there is an ad for Magico Q7 on AgoN, and the seler (distributor for brand X) is claiming that the owner traded those for their cheapest model ($10k or thereabouts), 'cos it sounds better.

Having heard both darTZeel and Devialet in my system, I can assure you, that the darTZeel is much, much better.

No dealer talk here... I replaced over $20k of current ARC equipment (not including the savings on cables and tube replacement) with the Devialet. I was an ARC user for over 15 years and never thought I would leave the brand. However, after hearing the Devialet several times while auditioning other equipment and eventually after a considerable in home audition, I was sold. The reviews are right on and the reviewers are much more eloquent than I. Many of my audiophile friends (and some of my non-audiophile friends) are amazed at the sound quality (first) as well as the excellent engineering, implementation and design. So much so that a few have gone out and purchased their own units. I won't name other brand names that were replaced, but I can assure you, from my own experience, that these stories are quite true and not mere unsubstantiated rumors or "dealer talk".

Elberoth
12-19-2012, 04:38 PM
I have auditioned the Devialet in my system, and was disappointed. IMO you can do better for the money, sound wise (ofc, you can also do worse ...). Looks cool though.

markmck79
12-20-2012, 07:17 PM
I have auditioned the Devialet in my system, and was disappointed. IMO you can do better for the money, sound wise (ofc, you can also do worse ...). Looks cool though.

Thanks. I respect your opinion, but I respectfully disagree with you ascertain that you can do better for the money. I believe one would be very hard pressed to create a system sounding this good (again, the primary goal) that streams hi-res (including decoding HDCD), accepts digital input of SPDIF & HDMI (meaning it accepts digital input of SACD), and has a fully adjustable MM/MC phono stage. There are also tertiary benefits, such as a super simple user interface that doesn't intimidate my wife or kids (and that allows me to program a max level so that I know they can't damage the system), that is controllable by iPhone/iPad, allows me to remove many of the other cables/devices/computers from my listening room, doesn't solely heat my house in the winter (tubes) or require me to run my A/C at full blast in the summer, has a very high WAF, and is infinitely programmable/customizable to my needs. In my audiophile experience this has become my dream device.

I have seen the alternatives that you have put forth in other forums and these combinations that I have heard (you have mentioned MSB, BADA, and ARC, among others) fail on the sound comparison test to me and only tick a few of the boxes I mentioned above. While, again, I can respect that you do not like the sound of the Devialet (just as I do not like the sound of some of the items you mention) you must admit that one would fall far short in trying to assemble a system thatperforms as well sonically and does all that I have mentioned at the price-level of the Devialet.

Elberoth
12-20-2012, 07:58 PM
You are right - there is no other product on the market that offer this level of integration, sound quality and looks in one package. But then again - most audiophiles would trade HDMI inputs, wireless streaming or medicore phono stage for better sound quality at a heart beat (me including).

In my experience, Devialet sounds just avg for the price. Mind you avg doesn't mean it sounds bad. Avg means just that - there are other amps that sound as good, but there is a number of amps that sound worse, and there is a number of combinations that sound much better.

Devialet is just not the performance leader some ppl claim it to be. That is all.

Listen to the BADA Alpha DAC + BADA Alpha USB + Cary SA-200.2 combination for example ($4900 + $1800 + $4000) in your own system and you will see what I mean.

howiebrou
12-20-2012, 08:04 PM
I have heard the Devialet a number of times but never in a situation that would be reliable for assessing. Gonna have to try one someday soon. :yes:

howie

markmck79
12-20-2012, 08:20 PM
You are right - there is no other product on the market that offer this level of integration, sound quality and looks in one package. But then again - most audiophiles would trade HDMI inputs, wireless streaming or medicore phono stage for better sound quality at a heart beat (me including).

In my experience, Devialet sounds just avg for the price. Mind you avg doesn't mean it sounds bad. Avg means just that - there are other amps that sound as good, but there is a number of amps that sound worse, and there is a number of combinations that sound much better.

Devialet is just not the performance leader some ppl claim it to be. That is all.

Listen to the BADA Alpha DAC + BADA Alpha USB + Cary SA-200.2 combination for example ($4900 + $1800 + $4000) in your own system and you will see what I mean.

Thanks for the constructive conversation. I tried the BADA with the ARC VS115 that I previously owned and was impressed. However, I would still need a phono stage and pre-amp, as well as a computer exclusive to my listening room, cables, etc to even come close to the capabilities that I have today... And I would say the sound is very good, but bit also quite comparable to the sound of the Devialet. The Devialet was the closest I have been able to get to the tubes sound I enjoy (current ARC sound) without tubes. In my situation (hot Texas summers), having a tube amp, pre and phono stage became oppressive with the heat, as well as electric and re-tubing expense. What led me ultimately to the Devialet was a quest to add streaming capabilities to a system consisting of Audio Research LS-27/DAC8/PH8/VS115. I had settled on one of the new Naim streamers, but the sound (first) and value proposition of the Devialet kept pulling me back. I have never doubted my decision.

Elberoth
12-21-2012, 06:32 AM
Did you try the BADA Alpha Series 1 or 2 ? What was used as a transport ?

Car commander
12-21-2012, 10:13 AM
It seems like most of us are after the best sound we can get within our respective budgets. Devialet offers a way to get 95 percent of that (I have not heard it) based on the reviews. If its a facination and hobby for you than perhaps it is more fun to try various combinations in search of the last 5 percent. I have far more than 16K in my system, so it is a kind of value, if that is what you are looking for. I could probably put together, as could most of you, a system for 5 grand that would get 90 percent. Is that a better "value"? I guess it depends on what matters to you.

markmck79
12-21-2012, 11:02 AM
I think car commander is starting to see my point and the true beauty of the Devialet (and I'm not referring to the casework).

In a world of 80 hour work weeks, devoting time to your spouse and young kids, as well as dozens of other "priorities", the joy in being an audiophile to me is having time to sit down and enjoy the music without distraction and other complications. To me, it is *not* about the constantly revolving/evolving system, cross-country trips to various dealers, endless comparisons and in-home trials of cables and components looking for that ever-elusive optimal synergy. If you are like the former and not the latter, then stop looking - the Devialet is for you. It has that synergy in spades, and much like the Apple "eco-system", it just works. And to my ears, and at my budget, with the equipment that has been available to me, it sounds fantastic. I will not begin to claim that I have heard every equipment combination under the sun, nor do I want to. In my home it brings me closer to the music than I have been before. I do not work for the company, the distributor or any dealer, but I cannot praise it enough. It has been, to me, a revelation and has allowed me to stop chasing synergy and just connect with the music.

Elberoth
12-21-2012, 02:50 PM
markmck79 - did you try the BADA Alpha Series 1 or 2 ? What was used as a transport ?

markmck79
12-21-2012, 07:35 PM
markmck79 - did you try the BADA Alpha Series 1 or 2 ? What was used as a transport ?

Elberoth- I think you are missing my point (and the appeal of the Devialet to audiophiles like me). Please read my last post.

Msegal
12-23-2012, 06:30 PM
I got my first taste of he Devialet last week. I was hooked up to a set of Focl Utopia Scalas. A Clear Audio Performance provided the analog signal. There was no digital connections ( the demo model kept the dealer locked out).
Comparisons were made with Plinius' new integrated. Phono pre via the Clear Audio Nano (yuch).

I thought the Devialet provided an exceptionally clean and detailed sound. Some here describe it as artificial. I never found it to break through that last sense of realism I note with good tube or great solid state equipment. It seemed to have no problem driving the Focals.

I could see some being wooed over by this melodic and pleasant sound. The simplicity also lends itself towards a Stereo-in-a-box (SIAB) on steroids ease of use.

For my own tastes I would not replace my current McIntosh tubes with this shiny silver wonder. The best description I could give it is " all the detail but none of the love".

metaphacts
12-23-2012, 07:12 PM
In my home it brings me closer to the music than I have been before. I do not work for the company, the distributor or any dealer, but I cannot praise it enough. It has been, to me, a revelation and has allowed me to stop chasing synergy and just connect with the music.

Lots of wisdom in these words. :yes:

Car commander
12-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Some of us enjoy "the chase" me included and like messing with the gear. Others just want the music with as little effort as possible. Nothing wrong with that. My speaker cables retailed for about what Devialet did. It is a "value" in that sense. To each their own.

metaphacts
12-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Some of us enjoy "the chase" me included and like messing with the gear. Others just want the music with as little effort as possible. Nothing wrong with that. My speaker cables retailed for about what Devialet did. It is a "value" in that sense. To each their own.

The chase has given me a long and healthy career. You pay your money and you take your choice.

However, the rare high end buyer for whom all this great gear is merely a vehicle to musical discovery is why I love my career so much.

:tilting at windmills: :tresbon:

Car commander
12-23-2012, 10:42 PM
I love the music. When I travel I miss my system the most. I cannot replicate the music this system produces. It's the best I have heard. I doubt the Devialet sounds better than what I have now in my room. But I haven't heard it. You could design a system for 5k that sounds really good. So it's just a matter of what's important to you and how much time and effort you want to spend doing it.

metaphacts
12-23-2012, 10:51 PM
I love the music. When I travel I miss my system the most. I cannot replicate the music this system produces. It's the best I have heard. I doubt the Devialet sounds better than what I have now in my room. But I haven't heard it. You could design a system for 5k that sounds really good. So it's just a matter of what's important to you and how much time and effort you want to spend doing it.

Sounds better? Perhaps. Makes music? For me that is all that matters. There are many examples of great sound. There are far fewer of musical communication. Does the Devialet reach that level? I do not know. But all of its advocates speak of music not sound. That's a damn good start. :yes:

struts001
01-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Traded in Boulder 1012 & 1060. Obviously it's a bit premature for definitive judgements but I must say the initial sound is extremely promising.

I can easily imagine some folks saying I was mad to part with the Boulder and refusing to believe that a little pizza box/Class D amp/anything made in France (etc. etc.) can sound anywhere as good as a "he-man amp" like the Boulder. Others will just prefer tinkering with footers, experimenting with cables etc. Nothing wrong with that, horses for courses. All I would say is, don't judge the SQ until you've listened!

Definitely one worth tacking down - especially for the sceptics.

howiebrou
01-16-2013, 04:34 AM
Traded in Boulder 1012 & 1060. Obviously it's a bit premature for definitive judgements but I must say the initial sound is extremely promising.

I can easily imagine some folks saying I was mad to part with the Boulder and refusing to believe that a little pizza box/Class D amp/anything made in France (etc. etc.) can sound anywhere as good as a "he-man amp" like the Boulder. Others will just prefer tinkering with footers, experimenting with cables etc. Nothing wrong with that, horses for courses. All I would say is, don't judge the SQ until you've listened!

Congratulations! Now we need some photos!!!:banana:
howie

markmck79
01-16-2013, 07:31 AM

Congratulations on the purchase. If your experience is anything like mine then you won't be disappointed. Looking forward to your impressions...

struts001
01-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Congratulations! Now we need some photos!!!:banana:
howie
Oh alright then..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8511/8385667831_6d65cda147_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8386757366_960467bedc_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8360/8385724905_af2ccd8f74_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8506/8386813068_a68de475a7_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8230/8386814574_a6ebaf2078_b.jpg

Masterlu
01-16-2013, 09:50 AM
struts001... Great pics, and Welcome! :wave:

mbovaird
01-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Oh alright then..

Absolutely stunning. Clean clean clean. How do you like those new speakers? Aren't they Franco Serblins new creations? The Devialet is gorgeous.

Mike

struts001
01-16-2013, 09:54 AM
struts001... Great pics, and Welcome! :wave:
Thanks! Nice to be here..

struts001
01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Absolutely stunning. Clean clean clean. How do you like those new speakers? Aren't they Franco Serblins new creations? The Devialet is gorgeous.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Yes, they're Serblin Ktêmas (although afaik they aren't exactly new, they've been out a couple of years) and I'm pretty pleased with them so far. I've just bought them so I'm very much at the beginning of the burn in period (which I am told is between 50-300 hours) but so far there's nothing not to like :D

Great imaging, clear and smooth, and they seem to mate well with my room (BOSS doesn't interfere too much but draws the line at acoustic treatments - it's very much a combined listening and living space). Funnily, although everyone else seems to love the way they look she just rolled her eyes and said they were "monstrosities", although she added "..they do sound nice though".

Let's see how things go through the burn in and as I fine tune the positioning, footers etc.

Masterlu
01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Show her these! :lmao:

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/2375938837214684.jpg

struts001
01-16-2013, 10:19 AM

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/2375938837214684.jpg
Actually those are the ones I told her I was going to get and when she raised hell I "backed down" to the Ktêmas. Learned a few tricks from my old man along the way.. :cool:

MyPal
01-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi Struts001.... Welcome. :tiphat: Beautiful loudspeakers. Superb cabinet craftsmanship. I've seen these Serblin Ktêmas advertised in HiFi mags. There seems to be a Sonus Faber element there? Is there some cross association?

MyPal
01-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Ivan they've got to be Chinese? Karaoke? :laughin:

struts001
01-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Hi Struts001.... Welcome. :tiphat: Beautiful loudspeakers. Superb cabinet craftsmanship. I've seen these Serblin Ktêmas advertised in HiFi mags. There seems to be a Sonus Faber element there? Is there some cross association?
Thanks MyPal. Yes, Franco Serblin was the founder of Sonus Faber but he left in 2005 up until when I think he designed all their speakers (his last Sonus Faber model was the Ellipsa iirc). Then in February 2007 he sold his remaining interest to Quadrivio SGR who one year later bought Audio Research. So there's more than a little shared DNA there..

Freestone
01-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks Mike. Yes, they're Serblin Ktêmas (although afaik they aren't exactly new, they've been out a couple of years) and I'm pretty pleased with them so far. I've just bought them so I'm very much at the beginning of the burn in period (which I am told is between 50-300 hours) but so far there's nothing not to like :D

Great imaging, clear and smooth, and they seem to mate well with my room (BOSS doesn't interfere too much but draws the line at acoustic treatments - it's very much a combined listening and living space). Funnily, although everyone else seems to love the way they look she just rolled her eyes and said they were "monstrosities", although she added "..they do sound nice though".

Let's see how things go through the burn in and as I fine tune the positioning, footers etc.

My wife has the same reaction. Basically speakers are ugly furniture to her. Beyond that its relative. The solution is to use them a lot so she appreciates how much they mean to you.

I think your set up looks great.

TommyC
01-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Love the set up!

Car commander
01-16-2013, 08:10 PM
My wife has the same reaction. Basically speakers are ugly furniture to her. Beyond that its relative. The solution is to use them a lot so she appreciates how much they mean to you.

I think your set up looks great.

The real solution is no wife, just girl friends. LOL.

howiebrou
01-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Oh alright then..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8511/8385667831_6d65cda147_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8386757366_960467bedc_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8360/8385724905_af2ccd8f74_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8506/8386813068_a68de475a7_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8230/8386814574_a6ebaf2078_b.jpg

Outstanding. I was very close to buying a black pair of Ktemas. I am guessing you are based in Europe somewhere? The Schuko plugs are a giveaway...

howie

struts001
01-17-2013, 03:57 AM
Outstanding. I was very close to buying a black pair of Ktemas. I am guessing you are based in Europe somewhere? The Schuko plugs are a giveaway...

howie
Yup, Sweden. Home of your Coltranes..

jdandy
01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
struts001.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

Your system is beautiful. The size of the room allows the form of the Ktêma's to be displayed perfectly.

struts001
01-18-2013, 04:01 AM
struts001.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

Your system is beautiful. The size of the room allows the form of the Ktêma's to be displayed perfectly.
Thanks jdandy!

Yes, it's a great room, about 400 sq ft, which really allows the speakers to breathe. We're very lucky.

howiebrou
01-18-2013, 05:15 AM
Yup, Sweden. Home of your Coltranes..

On the top of my list of countries I want to visit. :thumbsup:

struts001
01-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Congratulations on the purchase. If your experience is anything like mine then you won't be disappointed. Looking forward to your impressions...
Thanks markmck79. Was just reading back through this thread and found some of you're earlier posts which summarized my own thoughts perfectly and far more articulately than I ever could have managed!

Listened long and late last night and as I start getting the Ktêmas dialed in the whole thing is beginning to gel in a very pleasing way indeed. Apart from both being great products I was starting to suspect there might have been some of that 'synergy' thang going on. I mentioned this to an audio buddy who checked in via IM to see how work was progressing and he replied with a wink and a link to a picture of Franco Serblin's own system. Esoteric transport, Ktêmas (of course) and I bet you'll never guess what was tying them together..:D

struts001
01-18-2013, 10:18 AM
On the top of my list of countries I want to visit. :thumbsup:

So what are you waiting for? :D :D

howiebrou
01-18-2013, 10:06 PM
So what are you waiting for? :D :D

Spousal approval...

struts001
01-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Anyone experimented with power cords? What are the Devialet-aficionados out there using?

markmck79
01-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Anyone experimented with power cords? What are the Devialet-aficionados out there using?

I've been using Transparent cables, but have also had very good results with Shunyata. The limiting factor is finding a cable with a connector that fits the tight space for connections in the back, especially if you wish to continue using the metal cover.

When I first purchased my D-Premier I emailed Thierry at Devialet, who also recommended, in addition to Shunyata and Transparent, Nordost and Crystal Cable.

gtiboy
01-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi guys, I've been following the Devialet with great interest, i'm currently an owner of a Naim system and i'm fascinated by this product.

Has anyone heard how the Devialet compares to Naim and Linn sound?

Most notably with the Naim NDS and Linn Klimax DS streamers?

Does the Devialet sound better than these?

struts001
01-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Sorry GTIboy, no experience of the NDS and I have only heard the Klimax DS in a friend's completely different system.

Howver, one of the challenges the Devialet presents is making any relevant comparisons. Being, as it is, a combination of streamer, DAC, preamp and power amp (plus lots more of course) it can only be compared with 2-4 or more components at a time. In my system it replaced seven different boxes not to mention cables for thousands (I really don't want to count) of dollars. Hopefully you'll find a dealer who can either offer the relevant comparison or a home dem. However I wouldn't be surprised if your biggest problem is offloading all the gear you'll suddenly find you no longer need!

Good luck!

markmck79
01-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi guys, I've been following the Devialet with great interest, i'm currently an owner of a Naim system and i'm fascinated by this product.

Has anyone heard how the Devialet compares to Naim and Linn sound?

Most notably with the Naim NDS and Linn Klimax DS streamers?

Does the Devialet sound better than these?

I don't have any experience with Linn. However, I did audition a Naim NDX to incorporate into my previously all Audio Research system, before going with the Devialet. (The NDS had not been released at the time.) The streaming function of the Devialet far surpassed the Naim NDX at that time. In all an all Naim system, though, the NDS or NDX might perform better, especially if you are already a fan of the Naim house sound. In the US, though, the NDS plus the requisite power supply and cables nears or surpasses the price of the Devialet. To my ears (& my pocketbook) that makes the Devialet a very easy pick.

Kingsrule
01-20-2013, 02:54 PM
I use Venom 3.
I think it sound much more solid than the stock cord
The only issue is the plug doesn't fit tight into the Devialet

markmck79
01-20-2013, 03:04 PM
I use Venom 3.
I think it sound much more solid than the stock cord
The only issue is the plug doesn't fit tight into the Devialet

I can second the Venom 3 as a very good sounding alternative to the stock cord. Very good bang for the buck.

I'm using the similarly priced Transparent Performance PowerLink into its own isolated bank on a Transparent PowerIsolator Reference with a Reference PowerLink to the wall. It has a tight fit to the Devialet and allows me to use the metal cover without issues. It was a substantial step-up from the stock cord and very similar sound to the Venom 3 - a little more organic and seems to reduce the already very black background just a slight bit more.

gtiboy
01-20-2013, 03:14 PM
struts001

Sorry GTIboy, no experience of the NDS and I have only heard the Klimax DS in a friend's completely different system.

Howver, one of the challenges the Devialet presents is making any relevant comparisons. Being, as it is, a combination of streamer, DAC, preamp and power amp (plus lots more of course) it can only be compared with 2-4 or more components at a time. In my system it replaced seven different boxes not to mention cables for thousands (I really don't want to count) of dollars. Hopefully you'll find a dealer who can either offer the relevant comparison or a home dem. However I wouldn't be surprised if your biggest problem is offloading all the gear you'll suddenly find you no longer need!

Good luck!

markmck79

I don't have any experience with Linn. However, I did audition a Naim NDX to incorporate into my previously all Audio Research system, before going with the Devialet. (The NDS had not been released at the time.) The streaming function of the Devialet far surpassed the Naim NDX at that time. In all an all Naim system, though, the NDS or NDX might perform better, especially if you are already a fan of the Naim house sound. In the US, though, the NDS plus the requisite power supply and cables nears or surpasses the price of the Devialet. To my ears (& my pocketbook) that makes the Devialet a very easy pick.

I'm assuming you guys found the the Devialet sounded better than your current systems prior to changing over?

Reading across other forums it seems the Naim NDS is on par with the Linn Klimax DS in terms of sound quality, so if you found the Devialet sounded better than that, then this is quite a statement.

struts001
01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm assuming you guys found the the Devialet sounded better than your current systems prior to changing over?

I've only had mine about a week so i don't have too many hours on it yet, but it is fairly easy to identify several parameters where it betters my previous system (Boulder 1012/1060) and none so far where it falls short.

The really striking aspect of the sound for me is the amazing resolution, detail in everything from instrumental timbre, vocal inflection, piano phrasing etc. If my previous system was giving it to me to the same degree I certainly wasn't noticing it! The other real long suit is the bass which is incredibly deep, clear, tuneful and beautifully controlled. Not a parameter where one would expect such a physically small amp to excel.

Sure, there is better equipment out there, but it costs many multiples of the Devialet's price and the differences are extremely subtle. I can only recommend that you try to audition, I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed!

markmck79
01-20-2013, 06:22 PM
In my experience the Devialet is reference level for someone whose equipment budget is $25k or below and should be on the short list for anyone looking to spend up to double that or beyond (especially if you are lucky enough to afford the dual-mono configuration).

gtiboy
01-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Well that's good to know. I will try and get an audition at some point.

Being a digital amp, is there any hint of digital sound / glare or edginess to the presentation?

I've heard the NDS and it sounded super smooth and very refined with lots of detail and clarity with added ambiance to the sound over the NDX.

I'm hoping the Devialet will surpass this.

markmck79
01-21-2013, 01:12 AM
Well that's good to know. I will try and get an audition at some point.

Being a digital amp, is there any hint of digital sound / glare or edginess to the presentation?

I've heard the NDS and it sounded super smooth and very refined with lots of detail and clarity with added ambiance to the sound over the NDX.

I'm hoping the Devialet will surpass this.

To my ears Devialet has ameliorated what issues exist with class D amplification while retaining the benefits of power and control of the low frequencies through their "analog digital hybrid" technology. You really should listen for yourself, but to me the Devialet is the most neutral amplification device I have heard across the entire frequency spectrum of music that also still conveys musicality, short of some many more times expensive pure class A high power amplifiers.

struts001
01-21-2013, 04:38 AM

gtiboy, I think you have the wrong end of the stick, the Devialet is very definitely not a "digital amp". The output stage is a novel combination of a class A amp providing the voltage and a class D amp providing the current (Devialet has given in the slightly unfortunate moniker "ADH"). The voltage defines the musical signal (i.e. the sound quality), the current delivery defines when the amp starts distorting depending on the loudspeaker impedance, which typically varies across the frequency range. You could think of it as the class A amp being a tap and the class D amp providing the water pressure that ensures you get an ever faster flow regardless of how far the tap is opened. So for SQ purposes you can safely think of the Devialet as a class A amp, with a signal path of less than 2" from DAC to output stage.

Regarding how it actually sounds, it is probably safe to assume that I didn't upgrade from over £40k of Boulder electronics because I found the sound glaring or edgy. Apologies if that wasn't clear from my earlier comments. It's always difficult to know how much one can rely on the subjective sound quality judgements of people one has never met, but if one is a sceptic what is the point of asking that type of question on an internet forum?

gtiboy
01-21-2013, 06:42 AM
That's really impressive that it replaced 40k worth of hifi equipment. I mention if the Devialet has any glare or edginess to the presentation as this is what one person said on a Naim forum...to me this tells me that they are biased towards Naim's sound and confirms that this really isn't the case talking to actual owners.

What i'm looking for is true to life sound where voices and instruments sound like how they do in real life, with all the weight, resolution and clarity to it.

For those who are running the Devialet with PC/Mac as a source, is the preferred choice running it connected up via cables or Wirelessly?

struts001
01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
For those who are running the Devialet with PC/Mac as a source, is the preferred choice running it connected up via cables or Wirelessly?
Definitely the latter since the Devialet lacks a wired internet connection!* You can get a good overview of the connectivity options by checking out the online configurator (http://www.devialet.com/configurator/).

* although in retrospect you may have been referring to a wired S/PDIF or AES connection in which case see Mark's answer below.

markmck79
01-21-2013, 12:28 PM
That's really impressive that it replaced 40k worth of hifi equipment. I mention if the Devialet has any glare or edginess to the presentation as this is what one person said on a Naim forum...to me this tells me that they are biased towards Naim's sound and confirms that this really isn't the case talking to actual owners.

What i'm looking for is true to life sound where voices and instruments sound like how they do in real life, with all the weight, resolution and clarity to it.

I predominantly use the wireless AIR functionality as I have been unable to discern the difference in streamed bit-perfect AIFF files versus those sent by wired means (Weiss, M2Tech) from a Mac, using Amarra - I think it is a dead-heat between the two and streaming is obviously much easier and cost-effective. I will, however, note that I have also been able to discern a quality difference between AIFF (non-compressed) and ALAC (losslessly compressed) files on the Devialet - that is how resolving the device is. I was a bit disappointed to see that John Atkinson continues to use ALAC files, and did so in his Devialet review, and that potentially could be why he felt the streaming capabilities fell behind the direct connection approach. Computer storage is so cheap these days that storing AIFF files should be no issue.

I also use in my system an Oppo universal player as a transport for SACD and DVD-A and a Clearaudio turntable. The phono stage in the D-Premier might be the most under-appreciated aspect in reviews so far. In my experience it more than holds its weight against phono pre's below $10k.

One more note, the sound quality and reliability of the streaming music function has only increased with each successive release of new firmware since the AIR debut. Just when it seems that it can't get any better the engineers at Devialet have found a way to squeeze a little more improvement at the margins.

I know I've gushed over this device here at AA, but it has been transformative to the enjoyment of my system. I would highly recommend that anyone with an open mind to audition for themselves. But be prepared to buy.

struts001
01-22-2013, 06:03 PM
I can second the Venom 3 as a very good sounding alternative to the stock cord. Very good bang for the buck.

I'm using the similarly priced Transparent Performance PowerLink into its own isolated bank on a Transparent PowerIsolator Reference with a Reference PowerLink to the wall. It has a tight fit to the Devialet and allows me to use the metal cover without issues. It was a substantial step-up from the stock cord and very similar sound to the Venom 3 - a little more organic and seems to reduce the already very black background just a slight bit more.

The good news: all the aftermarket power cords I have tried make a real difference to the sound quality. The Devialet is really transparent enough to reveal small differences and seems to be quite cord-sensitive despite its SMPS. The bad news: none of them fit under the connection cover plate!

You recommend Transparent, but as far as I can tell only their entry-level Performance Powerlink will fit. All Transparent's better models have IEC connectors that are too fat. Please can you confirm that your Reference Powerlink won't fit (that's my guess but I'm going from a photo)?

Furutech Absolute looked like it would fit but the IEC fouls on the lip along the underside of the front edge of the plate by, I am guessing, a couple of millimetres. Could maybe be fixed with some surgery. None of Furutech's better cables stand a chance.

Lessloss DFPC and Original both no chance.

Nordost and Crystal. As far as I can tell none of them will fit. Which model(s) were Devialet referring to??

Am going to try a Wireworld Silver Electra 5, looks like it might work as all their cables use quite a slimline IEC connector. Hmmm...

Kingsrule
01-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Who uses the rear cover?
You rather worry about the cover vs. a better power cord?

struts001
01-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Who uses the rear cover?
You rather worry about the cover vs. a better power cord?

Hey, that's audiophile bullying! Yellow card! :tears:

Seriously, yes, I'd rather be able to use the cover if I can. If I can't find a decent cable that will fit I guess I'll probably run a Powerflux al fresco.

Kingsrule
01-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Sorry there!!
It would be great if Devialet came out with a reference version, say 1.75x thicker so you could attach real speaker cable and power cords and not worry about covers or feet to raise the current unit.

markmck79
01-22-2013, 10:34 PM
The good news: all the aftermarket power cords I have tried make a real difference to the sound quality. The Devialet is really transparent enough to reveal small differences and seems to be quite cord-sensitive despite its SMPS. The bad news: none of them fit under the connection cover plate!

You recommend Transparent, but as far as I can tell only their entry-level Performance Powerlink will fit. All Transparent's better models have IEC connectors that are too fat. Please can you confirm that your Reference Powerlink won't fit (that's my guess but I'm going from a photo)?

Furutech Absolute looked like it would fit but the IEC fouls on the lip along the underside of the front edge of the plate by, I am guessing, a couple of millimetres. Could maybe be fixed with some surgery. None of Furutech's better cables stand a chance.

Lessloss DFPC and Original both no chance.

Nordost and Crystal. As far as I can tell none of them will fit. Which model(s) were Devialet referring to??

Am going to try a Wireworld Silver Electra 5, looks like it might work as all their cables use quite a slimline IEC connector. Hmmm...

Not sure about the Nordost or Crystal models...

Transparent will custom make you an umbilical the will work with the Reference cables, but my understanding is that it is made with the Performance cable and connector to work with the cover. Or you can just use a Transparent power conditioner fed by a higher performing cable and use a Performance cable to feed the Devialet. My dealer has tried both combinations and recommends the latter, which I went with. I have not been disappointed. My primary point of reference was comparison with a Shunyata Venom 3/Hydra 8v2/Python combination. I felt the Transparent was superior and completely relieved a small amount of RFI interference I was getting from my phono setup.

struts001
01-23-2013, 06:49 AM
Not sure about the Nordost or Crystal models...

Transparent will custom make you an umbilical the will work with the Reference cables, but my understanding is that it is made with the Performance cable and connector to work with the cover. Or you can just use a Transparent power conditioner fed by a higher performing cable and use a Performance cable to feed the Devialet. My dealer has tried both combinations and recommends the latter, which I went with. I have not been disappointed. My primary point of reference was comparison with a Shunyata Venom 3/Hydra 8v2/Python combination. I felt the Transparent was superior and completely relieved a small amount of RFI interference I was getting from my phono setup.
Interesting. Many thanks!

struts001
01-24-2013, 06:51 PM

Update: My dealer lent me a WireWorld Gold Electra 5 which fits!

Kingsrule
01-25-2013, 12:42 PM
I just replaced the Venom 3 power cord on my Devialet with a Cobra Zitron.
I bought this as a demo so I have no idea how many hours are on it. Based on appearance, which is perfect, I'd say it probably doesn't have many hours of use.

My initial impression is that there is more mid bass presence, thinking orchestra strings here, especially the string bass.
More to follow as I put some hours on it.

struts001
01-25-2013, 05:33 PM
I bought this as a demo so I have no idea how many hours are on it. Based on appearance, which is perfect, I'd say it probably doesn't have many hours of use.

My initial impression is that there is more mid bass presence, thinking orchestra strings here, especially the string bass.

Now I know I'm going to regret this...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8073/8417118406_26d185bc15_b.jpg

From L to R:
WireWorld Gold Electra 5
LessLoss DFPC Original
Furutech Absolute Power-18
Transparent High Performance PowerLink

...and if that wasn't enough I have Furutech PowerFlux 18E inbound. I really am a glutton for punishment! :crazy:

High Potential
01-25-2013, 09:14 PM

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8414186335_1d93dd70f0_b.jpg

From L to R:
WireWorld Gold Electra 5
LessLoss DFPC Original

...and if that wasn't enough I have Furutech PowerFlux inbound. I really am a glutton for punishment! :crazy:

Keep us posted! :tresbon:

Kingsrule
01-28-2013, 12:40 PM

So I've been listening for approx 72 hours..

Well, after day 1, things are changing. The image is still denser (a good thing), but now the airiness and detail are going away. Also the depth and layering aren't as good. Detail is a bit smeared also.
All these are to be expected as the power cord get hours on it....

struts001
01-28-2013, 02:07 PM
So I've been listening for approx 72 hours..

Well, after day 1, things are changing. The image is still denser (a good thing), but now the airiness and detail are going away. Also the depth and layering aren't as good. Detail is a bit smeared also.
All these are to be expected as the power cord get hours on it....
Interesting! You say it is to be expected, but I haven't come across that effect before. Has that been your personal experience previously or is based on reports you have read? Presumably it improves again at some point!? What does your experience suggest the "maturity curve" looks like?

I now have a pretty good handle on the sound with the Wireworld Gold (fits under the cover plate also which is nice). I'll switch to the LessLoss tomorrow.

Kingsrule
01-28-2013, 02:36 PM
My experience w/Zitron digital cable and from what others have said.
I expect a lot of "ups and downs" as the hours continue

struts001
01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
My experience w/Zitron digital cable and from what others have said.
I expect a lot of "ups and downs" as the hours continue
Is this something unique to the Zitron? If so I wonder what could be causing it. Have never heard anything like this before.

Btw, a friend of mine with Giya G1s told me that Vivid is working closely with Devialet to develop an acitve G1 quad-amped with Devialet. They apparently posted about it on their FB page.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/533511_10151584055917178_107375017_n.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if other speaker manufacturers started using the Devialet as a development tool given its output impedance and load driving capabilities.

Kingsrule
01-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Yes I saw that.
Based on that picture I'd be hard pressed to buy Vivid products!

Mike1998
01-29-2013, 02:22 AM
Yes I saw that.
Based on that picture I'd be hard pressed to buy Vivid products!

Vivid makes a phenomenal speaker, check out the awards they won all over the world, truly universal acclaim.

Kingsrule
01-29-2013, 10:52 AM
For me, the place is a dump and I wouldn't spend a penny on their stuff knowing were it comes from.....

doggiehowser
01-29-2013, 11:15 AM
For me, the place is a dump and I wouldn't spend a penny on their stuff knowing were it comes from.....

I see that as an engineering Proof of Concept at work where they strip an existing speaker and try to hook a Devialet (that's not designed specifically for that purpose) to run as a DSP in active crossover mode.

It isn't going to be pretty but it gives the designers an idea of how the final product would sound.

howiebrou
01-29-2013, 11:21 AM

Come on, that is Lawrence Dickie playing around in his lab. It's not meant to be a museum, that is not a production area.

Jerome W
01-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Come on, that is Lawrence Dickie playing around in his lab. It's not meant to be a museum, that is not a production area.

+1 !

Jerome W
01-29-2013, 11:28 AM
BTW you probably EAT in restaurants where you haven't checked the kitchen before....:D

f1eng
01-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Wrong about dealer-speak.
The guy ditching the Dartzeel in favour of the Devialet is an acquaintance of mine. His speakers are Sonus Faber Strads and he would certainly not have ditched the Dartzeels if they sounded much much better, since he owned them and the change was expensive. He made the change on sound quality grounds alone.
I wasn't there for the comparison, so no comment from me on personal experience.

I can not make any comment about your rather dim view of dealers, I sympathise if you have had such bad experience you consider all to be equally dishonest.

f1eng
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Hey, that's audiophile bullying! Yellow card! :tears:

Seriously, yes, I'd rather be able to use the cover if I can. If I can't find a decent cable that will fit I guess I'll probably run a Powerflux al fresco.

I'm using the Goldmund power cable which used to connect my Goldmund monos which my pair of Devialets have replaced.
The cover fits.

IanG-UK
01-29-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm using the Goldmund power cable which used to connect my Goldmund monos which my pair of Devialets have replaced.
The cover fits.

Hope you are enjoying your Devialets. Is the ex-Dartzeel owner you refer to called Mike who uses Oxford Audio Consultants? If so I met him there a couple of times. He is exhibiting at the Wigwam event albeit not with his Devialets!

Jazzdevil
01-29-2013, 05:41 PM

You hit the nail on the head!

Having visited their manufacturing facility prior to purchasing a pair of K1's, I can assure you these guys know what they're doing. If you need any proof listen to a pair of Vivids :yes:

Masterlu
01-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Jazzdevil... Welcome! :wave:

f1eng
01-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Hope you are enjoying your Devialets. Is the ex-Dartzeel owner you refer to called Mike who uses Oxford Audio Consultants? If so I met him there a couple of times. He is exhibiting at the Wigwam event albeit not with his Devialets!
Yes it is Mike. I saw he was going to be at Scalford with the Ming Da/Kef LS50 system from his boat!
Are you going to Scalford? I shall be there.

Mike1998
01-30-2013, 01:49 AM
You hit the nail on the head!

Having visited their manufacturing facility prior to purchasing a pair of K1's, I can assure you these guys know what they're doing. If you need any proof listen to a pair of Vivids :yes:

Dollar for dollar the K1's (and B1's) are some of the best value loudspeakers around.

Jazzdevil
01-30-2013, 01:56 AM
Jazzdevil... Welcome! :wave:

Thanks Ivan!

I have a Devialet too so the thread got my attention :thumbsup:

IanG-UK
01-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Yes it is Mike. I saw he was going to be at Scalford with the Ming Da/Kef LS50 system from his boat!
Are you going to Scalford? I shall be there.

Yes I shall be there - staying over the evening before so I hope it is worth a full day! I've really enjoyed previous Wigwams. I'm also going, for the second time, to the Munich event - which puts all UK commercial shows in the shade.

Hope to bump into you at Scalford - in fact I think we might have swapped emails before - does your surname start with a "d"?

Best wishes,

Ian

f1eng
01-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Yes I shall be there - staying over the evening before so I hope it is worth a full day! I've really enjoyed previous Wigwams. I'm also going, for the second time, to the Munich event - which puts all UK commercial shows in the shade.

Hope to bump into you at Scalford - in fact I think we might have swapped emails before - does your surname start with a "d"?

Best wishes,

Ian

Thats me, yes we have corresponded. I am stayng overnight too, I did so last year and it worked out well. Perhaps see you at the buffet.
I've never been to the Munich show, perhaps one day!
See you at Scalford.

Kingsrule
02-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Isn't he the former B&W designer?

If so, his B&W speakers are horrible, muffled mute masters. The most overrated brand of speakers in the world.

So what changed with Vivid?

struts001
02-03-2013, 02:55 PM

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8073/8417118406_26d185bc15_b.jpg

From L to R:
WireWorld Gold Electra 5
LessLoss DFPC Original

...and if that wasn't enough I have Furutech PowerFlux 18E inbound. I really am a glutton for punishment! :crazy:

So I have spent the last couple of weeks comparing power cables. Interesting how the Devialet clearly reveals the differences between cables despite its SMPS. I don't know if it is unusually cable-sensitive, but there were very clearly identifiable differences between all four cables tested. The Ktêmas open the window WIDE on the upstream components which of course helps!

Quick summary of my findings:
1. Of the cables I tried the Wireworld, Transparent and the Supra had IEC receptacles that fitted under the cover plate without modification. The Furutech Absolute could probably be "modified" with an axle grinder to fit whereas the LessLoss and the Furutech Powerflux will not fit at all.
2. All the power cords I tried changed multiple sonic parameters such as tonal balance, sound staging, etc. Several of these are easily also influenced by things like loudspeaker positioning, so arriving at the "best" balance is not only system- but room-dependent. In this sense I now have a completely different understanding of the old adage that cables are like seasoning on a dish, the best match will vary on a case-by-case basis. Have realized this with other cable choices but never with power cables.
3. In the same listening sessions I compared two different speaker cables. The differences were far more subtle than the differences between the power cables I tried.
4. The cables I tried lay between about $40 and $2500 in price. There was a correlation between price and performance, but only inasmuch as by far the cheapest cable was by far the worst.
5. My favourite cable (so far) in my system in my room was the LessLoss DFPC Original. This had strengths the others couldn't match and weaknesses that could easily be ameliorated by other system changes. At $595 for up to 2m this seems to represent good value and is very well made. Based on this experience I am curious to try the Signature..

Some brief notes:
Wireworld Gold Electra 5 - "tinny" tone, sounds like someone has applied "smile" EQ to everything which really accentuates the bass modes in the room.
LessLoss DFPC Original - Very soft natural treble, outstanding sound-staging, slightly soft in the bass (which I compensated by moving the speakers further back towards the rear wall).
Furutech Absolute - Very full bass, verging on overcooked, "nasal" tonal balance with accentuated midrange.
Transparent High performance PowerLink - "Metallic" sound, too thin in the midrange.
Supra LoRad 2.5mm - Catastrophic! after listening to the above I couldn't unplug it quickly enough. Everything went to pieces. Biggest surprise of the test.

Unfortunately the PowerFlux was delayed in delivery so I won't get it until next week, however LessLoss has generously extended the evaluation period so the DFPCs will advance to the final round for a head-to-head when it arrives.

Stay tuned..

struts001
02-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Isn't he the former B&W designer?

If so, his B&W speakers are horrible, muffled mute masters. The most overrated brand of speakers in the world.

So what changed with Vivid?

With respect I find that a bit of a sweeping statement. Hearing a pair of (original) B&W Nautilus (the "molluscs") driven by a fully tricked out active Levinson system was one of the formative experiences of my hifi career. If the Giyas share the same DNA then I understand why Dickie is interested in experimenting with active Devialets. 805s have also consistently impressed me, although I have never really warmed to either 801s or 802s in any of their incarnations.

Still, horses for courses..

Kingsrule
02-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Nice write up
I do feel you can not make accurate comparisons by moving the speakers to compensate for a weakness.

I can say the Cobra Zitron is OUTSTANDING on the Devialet. You must try it if you can!

struts001
02-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Nice write up
I do feel you can not make accurate comparisons by moving the speakers to compensate for a weakness.

Thanks. Fair point, but the bass level is one of the easiest parameters to tune with speaker placement not to mention the Devialet's tone controls ;-), so bass anomalies were weighted lowest when ranking strengths and weaknesses. I moved the speakers after the test to see if I could preserve what I liked about the LessLoss while eliminating its only noticeable weakness, which I could.

I can say the Cobra Zitron is OUTSTANDING on the Devialet. You must try it if you can!
As far as this round of tests is concerned I think I'll call it a day once I've tested the PowerFlux thanks. I don't know off-hand who sells Shunyata here but if I ever get the opportunity to borrow one in the future I'll certainly take it.

struts001
02-05-2013, 04:23 PM
It's funny, I received an equally enthusiastic recommendation on a Swedish forum for the Zitron Python. Synchronicity? Anyway, I will definitely be seeking them out..

Kingsrule
02-06-2013, 10:34 AM
It's funny, I received an equally enthusiastic recommendation on a Swedish forum for the Zitron Python. Synchronicity? Anyway, I will definitely be seeking them out..

Not sure you can use the cover with the Zitron cords as I don't use the cover.

I can say after 200+ hours this cord has to be considered a component the change is so dramatic.
The biggest improvement is the bass. Deeper, by a significant amount, so much better I had to check to make sure the bass control wasn't activated!
And detail, especially micro detail. Clearer, more focused and layered. The overall presentation is denser, more organic.
With Devialet, this cord is mandatory IMO.

struts001
02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Not sure you can use the cover with the Zitron cords as I don't use the cover.

I can say after 200+ hours this cord has to be considrered a component the change is so dramatic.
The biggest improvement is the bass. Deeper, by a significant amount, so much better I had to check to make sure the bass control wasn't activated!
And detail, especially micro detail. Clearer, more focused and layered. The overall presentation is denser, more organic.
With Devialet, this cord is mandatory IMO.
I don't feel the improvement was that dramatic with any of the cables I tried but I'm going to let the LessLoss burn in some more and then do some more comparisons. I got the chance to pick up a LessLoss Signature cheap so I took it, and the PowerFlux should be with me next week, so it looks like i'm set for another round of power cord tests when I return from vacation in a couple of weeks time. Definitely going to see if I can borrow a Shunyata until then.

struts001
02-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Hi g997, Sorry, I can't figure out for the life of me how to reply to the message you left, I don't think private messaging is enabled for me for some reason. But the answer to your question is Euphonia Portal (http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se).

Kingsrule
02-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks
I was hoping it was in English!

struts001
02-10-2013, 02:58 AM
Thanks
I was hoping it was in English!

Well the pictures are in English! ;)

More seriously, have you tried running it through Google Translate?

Kingsrule
02-10-2013, 04:51 AM
I totally forgot about Google Translate

I'll give it a go!

jazzhead
03-01-2013, 07:14 AM
High Fidelity (http://highfidelity.pl/@main-345&lang=en)... Devialet Review

f1eng
03-01-2013, 10:45 AM
High Fidelity (http://highfidelity.pl/@main-345&lang=en)... Devialet Review

Doesn't sound like a SET....

No surprise there then!

gtiboy
03-31-2013, 10:28 AM
To Devialet owners, whats your answer to people who say the Devialet has a polite sound, lacks the perceived weight (fullness) to the sound?

And or where it could do with more drama in the presentation?

Some say it sounds very clean clear and transparent, but doesn't get your foot tapping musically?

f1eng
04-01-2013, 03:32 AM
I would say it is the most un-coloured amp I have so far experienced, those who like a bit of added colour from their amps, or other parts of their system, should look elsewhere.

Jerome W
04-01-2013, 03:35 AM
In our crisis French economy, it is so good to see at last an innovative company which gains this success all over the world !
:thumbsup:
:yes:

struts001
04-01-2013, 05:00 AM
To Devialet owners, whats your answer to people who say the Devialet has a polite sound, lacks the perceived weight (fullness) to the sound?

Some say it sounds very clean clear and transparent, but doesn't get your foot tapping musically?
There is nothing in the sound I am getting with my Ktêmas that I recognise in these descriptions. I agree with Frank, the sould strikes me as being among the least coloured I have ever experienced.

Based on my experience in my own system and several show systems (Magico S5, Focal Be, KEF LS50) I would say they seem to reward pairing with speakers offering the highest resolution, although I would avoid any models whose impedance curve drops much below 5 ohms at any point. Driving a pair of Amati Futuras I found the sound to be slightly anaemic, and washed out. Maybe an unfortunate speaker pairing lies at the root of these comments?

chessman
04-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Hi g997, Sorry, I can't figure out for the life of me how to reply to the message you left, I don't think private messaging is enabled for me for some reason. But the answer to your question is Euphonia Portal (http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se).

You have to be a subscriber to use Private Messaging. Sorry.

gtiboy
04-01-2013, 02:37 PM
What I find facinating is that I read on one forum a Linn owner of a full Klimax system thought the Devialet sounded much better.

And this goes the same for a Naim owner who sold his system consisting of a CDS3/Nac252/Supercap/Nap300 in place of the Devialet as it too sounded better than that combo.

We're talking around 20k for a hifi system. And this amp has superior sound for half the price.

Is it true that the software updates have made a single Devialet sound nearer to a duel mono setup?

markmck79
04-01-2013, 09:16 PM

Your description runs counter to my experience with the Devialet. I would agree with the other members who describe it as "uncoloured" and if anything, it is the most musical amp I've had in my system. You seem very interested in the amplifier - I would highly recommend you hear it for yourself.

gtiboy
04-02-2013, 06:35 AM
Yes i'm definitely interested upgrading to this device. I like the idea of a one box solution.

What I find strange is how some say it sounds great yet with others coming out with completely different opinions saying they don't know what the fuss is about, and not in keeping with the rave reviews.

I don't understand why there is such a big contrast of opinions on this, that's my only doubt. I will do a demo to find out myself, my hope that this is all i'll ever need, curing upgradinitis.

f1eng
04-03-2013, 03:32 PM
I know one guy who upgraded to the Devialet from a much more expensive Dartziel amp.
I myself am now using the Devialets far more than my Goldmund system which would cost 10x as much as the Devialets if I bought it today.

One of the things which I find difficult to understand in our hobby is the use only of price as a judge of how good something is.
My old mentor told me an engineer is someone who could make something for five bob which any dam'fool could make for five quid (excuse UK slang) and this is certainly the case.
IMHO the Devialet is cleverly engineered and out performs or equals kit costing many times more.
OTOH those enthusiasts who -do- prefer their kit to add a bit of colour, and there are a large number of people like that, the Devialet is not going to satisfy. Also someone for whom the hobby consists as much as enjoying experimenting with kit as listening to music will find the Devialet a disappointment since it practically eliminates experimentation...

enit
04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
I know one guy who upgraded to the Devialet from a much more expensive Dartziel amp.
I myself am now using the Devialets far more than my Goldmund system which would cost 10x as much as the Devialets if I bought it today.

One of the things which I find difficult to understand in our hobby is the use only of price as a judge of how good something is.
My old mentor told me an engineer is someone who could make something for five bob which any dam'fool could make for five quid (excuse UK slang) and this is certainly the case.
IMHO the Devialet is cleverly engineered and out performs or equals kit costing many times more.
OTOH those enthusiasts who -do- prefer their kit to add a bit of colour, and there are a large number of people like that, the Devialet is not going to satisfy. Also someone for whom the hobby consists as much as enjoying experimenting with kit as listening to music will find the Devialet a disappointment since it practically eliminates experimentation...

I like Devialet, but from an engineering perspective... Digital Switching amps... ... ... Adds a process over a process, and not a perfect process in that regard to begin with, and everyone tries to find ways around noise coming from a huge transformer in every high powered amplifier, hence A/D switching. And also, an amplifier engineer will design an amp to do an amps job well, unless his perimeters is to design an amp to a "marketing" "hypothesis", which is size in the case of Devialet, and then make the best out of it.

In a basic process of thought, class a runs hot. So there's class b- not so good sound? Lets do class a/b... However is still to big, though it isn't hot no more, so lets go class D switching. But it isn't perfect, let's do class A/D, so you have the first 2 watts in class a (depending on your amp card config) and the rest in class d switching, and we can then fit them into the neat chassis!

I like Devialet for being configurable, and controls are impressive, and high WAF, it looks sleek and futuristic especially with the chrome finish. Sometimes, you really do need more power/headroom than what these guys currently provide.

In summary, as a product, they are great. As an amp... They could consider inefficient class A designs that audiophiles love, and consider a bigger version of the current line up, different sized chassis, same finish, and then in-fused with the user experience, and with their marketing, they could very well be a force to be reckoned with in years to come. (Who wouldn't love to have that mirror finish in a least one of the rooms in the house! I certainly would!) don't get me wrong, I respect Devialet as a company being innovative first however, innovation before SQ, and then optimizing SQ.

IMHO, they have an appealing USP for the more lifestyle audiophiles. I believe more of the serious ones will look higher for their main set up.

Many high end manufacturers describe themselves as non-colored, but that's not the end of the story. When any amplifier is strained, a character comes out from it, inherent with the design. Hence the less strained they are, the better/ less colored they are (typically). In addition, one must consider the vast impedance loading stressed onto the amplifier with various amps. Designing the amp for maximum of 4 ohms doesn't bode well with speakers that go right down to 2.7ohms- coloration and character appears. So unless you are listening to 2 watts of power, on what would be a higher sensitivity speaker- which unless time
Aligned, will give you a non linear response from the speaker, again inherent with physics and driver- properties..., and damping factor of amplifiers, and cables even (emf, insulation material, shielding properties, conductivity of copper and origins of copper, treatment processes at optimum temperatures, termination processes)! and we have not even considered the room, that could very well be the contributing cause of coloration.

We need more power, more headroom, dynamics, less distortion, higher STN.
We need well voiced speakers that is aligned with physics, not just about listening tests -quite equally important. Or we could just listen to music in an anechoic chamber, so we will merely have a better understating of "coloration" in the case of Devialet vs other amplifiers.

Cheers.
Enit

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

f1eng
04-03-2013, 05:42 PM
But Enit, the Devialet is defined by its class A amp. It is not a digital switching amplifier. It is not the first 2 watts in class A but all the power defined by the class A amp. The digital side simply makes sure enough current is passed for the voltage defined by the class A amp to be accurately maintained.
Perhaps you did not follow the technical description on the web site?
A bit like Quad current dumping in concept.

Whatever - it is the best sounding amp I have heard for less than 100,000 Euros.

You are right on one thing, the room and the speakers are 100 times more important/difficult to get right than the amp.

Kingsrule
04-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I like Devialet, but from an engineering perspective... Digital Switching amps... ... ... Adds a process over a process, and not a perfect process in that regard to begin with, and everyone tries to find ways around noise coming from a huge transformer in every high powered amplifier, hence A/D switching. And also, an amplifier engineer will design an amp to do an amps job well, unless his perimeters is to design an amp to a "marketing" "hypothesis", which is size in the case of Devialet, and then make the best out of it.

In a basic process of thought, class a runs hot. So there's class b- not so good sound? Lets do class a/b... However is still to big, though it isn't hot no more, so lets go class D switching. But it isn't perfect, let's do class A/D, so you have the first 2 watts in class a (depending on your amp card config) and the rest in class d switching, and we can then fit them into the neat chassis!

I like Devialet for being configurable, and controls are impressive, and high WAF, it looks sleek and futuristic especially with the chrome finish. Sometimes, you really do need more power/headroom than what these guys currently provide.

In summary, as a product, they are great. As an amp... They could consider inefficient class A designs that audiophiles love, and consider a bigger version of the current line up, different sized chassis, same finish, and then in-fused with the user experience, and with their marketing, they could very well be a force to be reckoned with in years to come. (Who wouldn't love to have that mirror finish in a least one of the rooms in the house! I certainly would!) don't get me wrong, I respect Devialet as a company being innovative first however, innovation before SQ, and then optimizing SQ.

IMHO, they have an appealing USP for the more lifestyle audiophiles. I believe more of the serious ones will look higher for their main set up.

Many high end manufacturers describe themselves as non-colored, but that's not the end of the story. When any amplifier is strained, a character comes out from it, inherent with the design. Hence the less strained they are, the better/ less colored they are (typically). In addition, one must consider the vast impedance loading stressed onto the amplifier with various amps. Designing the amp for maximum of 4 ohms doesn't bode well with speakers that go right down to 2.7ohms- coloration and character appears. So unless you are listening to 2 watts of power, on what would be a higher sensitivity speaker- which unless time
Aligned, will give you a non linear response from the speaker, again inherent with physics and driver- properties..., and damping factor of amplifiers, and cables even (emf, insulation material, shielding properties, conductivity of copper and origins of copper, treatment processes at optimum temperatures, termination processes)! and we have not even considered the room, that could very well be the contributing cause of coloration.

We need well voiced speakers that is aligned with physics, not just about listening tests -quite equally important. Or we could just listen to music in an anechoic chamber, so we will merely have a better understating of "coloration" in the case of Devialet vs other amplifiers.

Cheers.
Enit

A huge +1

Having owned a Devialet for some time, I couldn't have said it any better.

They ought to take that infusion of cash and make a reference version with a great class A or A/B amplifier. And they better do it soon as the current product has pretty much seen its best days

Kunter
04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Dear all,
I am currently driving a pair of Wilson Sasha's with dual mono Devialet's pumped up to 500 watts per channel.
It has been repeated in many different places but just to reiterate, Devialet's sound VERY MUCH depends on the power supply quality. It may sound edgy, dry, etc if paired with inappropriate cables, power conditioners. But once you find a right match, I have seen (and heard) it outperform many powerful and high priced items, tubes or not.
My PSAudio P10 has definitely helped. Currently trying out various power cables, so far Valhalla's are a gem. Feeding the system with a short run of HDMI (yes:) from a MacMini which is placed close by. Sounds better than the AIR setup in my case. HDMI cable is Inakustik Reference series, and yes, it makes a difference.
With AIR, the network appliance feeding the wireless signal plays an important role. Resetting the wireless access point (in my case a Time Capsule) from time to time also helped.
Also, all the ground rules for computer audio (Mac Mini should be free of any other running software, especially browsers, and should have enough free memory) apply big time to the overall experience. An occasional restart is beneficial.
The phono stage is really good. but a reference level phono stage is also a plus. The analog input, despite converting everything to digital at entry, can give you all the nuances of the previous equipment.
These babies respond to quality audio racks as well... If not properly supported, they may sound quite ill...
It takes some work, yes. But you are definitely rewarded with very high quality sound.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers

markmck79
04-06-2013, 04:10 PM

Cheers.
Enit

Enit - I'm curious if you have even heard the Devialet or if your statement is merely a preconception regarding the engineering? Any engineer will tell you that nearly all engineering projects face the reality of some limitation or another; engineers thrive on addressing assumed constraints. Any engineering project without limitations and boundaries (technology, methodology, financial, etc) is a fool's errand. The team at Devialet has chosen to address the optimal sound quality possible given a set of constraints and in my experience they have succeeded fantastically. The amp is not the end-all, be-all in regards to a design to drive every speaker in any room. In my experience such a reference does not exist and you would be hard pressed to find anything that truly meets that definition. As in all technology and engineering there are trade-offs and design choices. To be successful and happy with the implementation of the Devialet in a system it is important for the consumer to understand those. However, if you understand those boundaries and work to optimize your system within those constraints there are many users that believe that the Devialet is without peer at this time.

enit
04-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Enit - I'm curious if you have even heard the Devialet or if your statement is merely a preconception regarding the engineering? Any engineer will tell you that nearly all engineering projects face the reality of some limitation or another; engineers thrive on addressing assumed constraints. Any engineering project without limitations and boundaries (technology, methodology, financial, etc) is a fool's errand. The team at Devialet has chosen to address the optimal sound quality possible given a set of constraints and in my experience they have succeeded fantastically. The amp is not the end-all, be-all in regards to a design to drive every speaker in any room. In my experience such a reference does not exist and you would be hard pressed to find anything that truly meets that definition. As in all technology and engineering there are trade-offs and design choices. To be successful and happy with the implementation of the Devialet in a system it is important for the consumer to understand those. However, if you understand those boundaries and work to optimize your system within those constraints there are many users that believe that the Devialet is without peer at this time.

Well, I sat in a shootout with the Devialet, a Krell & a McIntosh set up, through a Focal Stella Utopia speaker.

The mcintosh set up was a mc452, c48, mcd301, with mcintosh cables. With DAC from the c48 employed.

The Devialet gave a very good impression, before the Mc was played. It was very impactful, but it didn't do very well in the low end of the speaker, less deep, and definition of the very low frequencies were not very clear. It had nice thump which was about the 120Hz range. The highs were silky, bordering on being bright. The overall energy was good for vocal tracks.

It didn't perform up to expectations for more complex pieces, dynamic percussions and intricate classical pieces. One of my favorite tracks to audition is the Telac's tchaikovsky's 1812, because of the real "mess up" with bells and strings, and the dynamism of the canons, and the Devialet lost its focus and impact of the recorded canons. When everything was coming in at once, it got bright and the staging shifted. It also seemed to be in a hurry to end the drum resonances.

The mcintosh had much bigger focus. The instrument groups were bigger, and they stayed very stable throughout the presentation. The power guard came up a-plenty but no sign of clipping audio wise. The canons and drums had very natural decay against the Devialet.

Again, the Devialet will probably outperform the mcintosh integrated amps for impact and very airy highs, control for the mid bass, but the mcintosh will sound more refined, smoother and less noisy especially at very high volume.

It is when the amps are stressed will you be able to tell the threshold of the design of the amp. Hence, with regards to overall performance, the Devialet may be good for a certain range, and with people that has special needs for them due to space, design, controls. In the arena of audio, there's room for improvement. The high end brands will allow room for expansion, the Devialet will not. I did liken the Devialet against the Krell's FBI. But that's an older model, although with higher power. The Devialet was less noisy and had refinement over the Krell.

They were both heard at the same average spl.

The pairing of Focal and Devialet is a common one, as with McIntosh and Focal.

The Devialet sounds good. Don't get me wrong. I like them for what they are. Overall an impressive product, design, controls, size, customizable, audio is good too! It has its following and is a good product. It is meant to challenge the status quo. You won't find an amp with these features sounding this good, and in this category, it's probably the best product. It will be much better than the Cyrus', the Belcantos, and as I mentioned the Krell integrateds. The objective of the Devialet isn't to sound the best, but it's to make the best out of the chassis and design.

An engineering monument would be the mc2kw, no holds barred audio engineering design with 3 chassis per channel, or the grande utopia. Where size is not a concern to achieve state-of-the-art audio reproduction.

I'm saying Devialet is designed to fit good sound in a chassis that is designed in a stream lined manner for look, use, and application in many homes, which audio is NOT the MAIN priority. But it does very well. So I agree with you on being peerless for form and controls.

It will not, however, replace the bigger boys for audio nirvana, as long as there is comparison.

So yes, I've heard them, and my comments were not "preconception".

Thanks.

enit
04-07-2013, 12:35 AM
But Enit, the Devialet is defined by its class A amp. It is not a digital switching amplifier. It is not the first 2 watts in class A but all the power defined by the class A amp. The digital side simply makes sure enough current is passed for the voltage defined by the class A amp to be accurately maintained.
Perhaps you did not follow the technical description on the web site?
A bit like Quad current dumping in concept.

Whatever - it is the best sounding amp I have heard for less than 100,000 Euros.

You are right on one thing, the room and the speakers are 100 times more important/difficult to get right than the amp.

If you get a chance to have a look at the schematic... It quite a bit of marketing well done. It's not true class a, and the class d aspect is already a flawed concept to use in high fidelity audio. It's fantastic on subs.

There's no one complete solution for amps. They run hot, sound nice but they are big. Being small, they have major audio limitation. It's just which of the lesser bad.

markmck79
04-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Well, I sat in a shootout with the Devialet, a Krell & a McIntosh set up, through a Focal Stella Utopia speaker.

The mcintosh set up was a mc452, c48, mcd301, with mcintosh cables. With DAC from the c48 employed.

The Devialet gave a very good impression, before the Mc was played. It was very impactful, but it didn't do very well in the low end of the speaker, less deep, and definition of the very low frequencies were not very clear. It had nice thump which was about the 120Hz range. The highs were silky, bordering on being bright. The overall energy was good for vocal tracks.

It didn't perform up to expectations for more complex pieces, dynamic percussions and intricate classical pieces. One of my favorite tracks to audition is the Telac's tchaikovsky's 1812, because of the real "mess up" with bells and strings, and the dynamism of the canons, and the Devialet lost its focus and impact of the recorded canons. When everything was coming in at once, it got bright and the staging shifted. It also seemed to be in a hurry to end the drum resonances.

The mcintosh had much bigger focus. The instrument groups were bigger, and they stayed very stable throughout the presentation. The power guard came up a-plenty but no sign of clipping audio wise. The canons and drums had very natural decay against the Devialet.

Again, the Devialet will probably outperform the mcintosh integrated amps for impact and very airy highs, control for the mid bass, but the mcintosh will sound more refined, smoother and less noisy especially at very high volume.

It is when the amps are stressed will you be able to tell the threshold of the design of the amp. Hence, with regards to overall performance, the Devialet may be good for a certain range, and with people that has special needs for them due to space, design, controls. In the arena of audio, there's room for improvement. The high end brands will allow room for expansion, the Devialet will not. I did liken the Devialet against the Krell's FBI. But that's an older model, although with higher power. The Devialet was less noisy and had refinement over the Krell.

They were both heard at the same average spl.

The Devialet sounds good. Don't get me wrong. I like them for what they are. Overall an impressive product, design, controls, size, customizable, audio is good too! It has its following and is a good product. It is meant to challenge the status quo. You won't find an amp with these features sounding this good, and in this category, it's probably the best product. It will be much better than the Cyrus', the Belcantos, and as I mentioned the Krell integrateds. The objective of the Devialet isn't to sound the best, but it's to make the best out of the chassis and design.

An engineering monument would be the mc2kw, no holds barred audio engineering design with 3 chassis per channel, or the grande utopia. Where size is not a concern to achieve state-of-the-art audio reproduction.

I'm saying Devialet is designed to fit good sound in a chassis that is designed in a stream lined manner for look, use, and application in many homes, which audio is NOT the MAIN priority. But it does very well. So I agree with you on being peerless for form and controls.

It will not, however, replace the bigger boys for audio nirvana, as long as there is comparison.

So yes, I've heard them, and my comments were not "preconception".

Thanks.

Thanks for sharing your listening impressions. As a response, I will say that nearly your entire description runs counter to my experience with the Devialet, where the bass is some of the best and most defined I have heard and I've never found it to sound bright (except maybe in contrast to very "warm"/"dark" tubes). We will have to agree to disagree, though I would be glad to host you if you would like another shot at the Devialet in a home and system where audio is the main priority. I doubt I could change your mind because your biases about the device and engineering are evident in your other posts, but the invitation remains open nonetheless.

enit
04-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks for sharing your listening impressions. As a response, I will say that nearly your entire description runs counter to my experience with the Devialet, where the bass is some of the best and most defined I have heard and I've never found it to sound bright (except maybe in contrast to very "warm"/"dark" tubes). We will have to agree to disagree, though I would be glad to host you if you would like another shot at the Devialet in a home and system where audio is the main priority. I doubt I could change your mind because your biases about the device and engineering are evident in your other posts, but the invitation remains open nonetheless.

What speakers are you driving them with?

I still like the product for what it is.

Glisse
04-08-2013, 08:49 AM

I had an audition with the Devialet used with Focal Scala Utopia and Diablo Utopia, and had a very similar reaction to yours. I just did not like the combination at all.

Both are clearly good products in their own rights - I did not assume the Devialet is a bass shy, harmonically barren wimp that can't drive demanding speakers. Nor would I assume the Focal Utopias are thin, emotionless speakers bordering on sterile. But as a system, that is what they sounded like to me.

I do not think the Devialet is a universal product, and needs to be used in a system where there is appropriate synergy. But that is true of most products - try before you buy, otherwise someone else's dream could become your nightmare. At least it is easy to transport :D

For those who are getting excellent results, it seems to represent very good value.

gtiboy
04-08-2013, 09:01 AM

i'm surprised by this, Devialet released a software update, boosting peak power from 800w to 2100w - you'd would have thought this would have sorted those issues with the lows and highs, maybe the power supply isn't up to scratch like a toroidal transformer is.

enit
04-08-2013, 01:28 PM
i'm surprised by this, Devialet released a software update, boosting peak power from 800w to 2100w - you'd would have thought this would have sorted those issues with the lows and highs, maybe the power supply isn't up to scratch like a toroidal transformer is.

Software restricting power? There's more than meets the eye...

gtiboy
05-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Anyone seen or heard the new Devialet 110, 170 and the 240 which replaces the D-Premier?

IanG-UK
05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
"It will not, however, replace the bigger boys for audio nirvana, as long as there is comparison." says Enit.

I just hope these comparisons were done double blind - indeed I hope that 100% of such statements on this thread were confirmed in a similar manner - but I suspect the figure is 0% and that well under 100% of sighted comparisons actually ever took place.

enit
05-24-2013, 10:33 PM
"It will not, however, replace the bigger boys for audio nirvana, as long as there is comparison." says Enit.

I just hope these comparisons were done double blind - indeed I hope that 100% of such statements on this thread were confirmed in a similar manner - but I suspect the figure is 0% and that well under 100% of sighted comparisons actually ever took place.

Have done many blind tests on gears before to ensure no/minimal placebo effects. And many double blind tests on cables.

I've done tests with frequency response charts too.

On electronics, I've been able to tell one brand of electronics from another & I'm rather familiar with "house" sounds from a couple of brands.

I wouldn't mislead the members of the forum, but there's always room for personal preferences too.

The Devialets are good/great for size, design, price, performance. Ignore them at your own peril. But if you've got more $$ to spend, you can always look upwards. I don't think Devialet will be the end game for one with a dedicated room or an audiophile that always looks to grow his gear, but it would probably be a main stay in an open/porous listening space.

IanG-UK
05-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Have done many blind tests on gears before to ensure no/minimal placebo effects. And many double blind tests on cables.

I've done tests with frequency response charts too.

On electronics, I've been able to tell one brand of electronics from another & I'm rather familiar with "house" sounds from a couple of brands.

I wouldn't mislead the members of the forum, but there's always room for personal preferences too.

The Devialets are good/great for size, design, price, performance. Ignore them at your own peril. But if you've got more $$ to spend, you can always look upwards. I don't think Devialet will be the end game for one with a dedicated room or an audiophile that always looks to grow his gear, but it would probably be a main stay in an open/porous listening space.

My query was really about whether the Devialet/Krell/McIntosh comparison was done double blind.

On your second point it's true that those who are "component changers" will not want the Devialet as one then simply needs a MacBook Pro, the Devialet, your speakers, one mains lead and two speaker leads. Typically saving four mains cables, three digital or interconnect cables, four boxes and various supports; and quite a bit of space (and, for me, the visual distraction of a plethora of electroric gear). And, of course, foregoing the delight or the frustration of the "what equipment next" approach.

Those who like the Devialet for its sound and its simplicity - and focus on the music rather than the gear - will be delighted with the Devialet approach. As do John Atkinson, Paul Miller, Alan Sircom and some 20 other leading reviewers worldwide.

enit
05-30-2013, 10:24 PM
The particular comparison was not a double blind. With these brands, double blind is only as good as a looking at the components- coz I already know how they sound. You put a Sony BDP590, an Oppo 105, a Bryston and a McIntosh MCD301, and if you can't identify them from each other on a blind or even a double blind, you might as well give up the hobby. But I'll say, the Impression the Sony and Oppo will give you can be confusing. You'd expect a lot more out of the Oppo.

I cannot stress further that they are good for what they are, but it is what it is, and it won't play as well as the bigger amplifiers will with big speakers with commonly low impedances at the bass end.

IanG-UK
06-03-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm impressed by your discriminatory capabilities with these amplifiers, whether sighted, blind or double blind (assuming, of course, they are level matched and each operating within their performance envelopes). So I "might as well give up the hobby"! I doubt I could discriminate most of the time.

Many years ago, a distinguished panel of experienced audio reviewers in the UK were tested double blind using three Quad amps designed some 20 years apart - the Quad II, the Quad 303 and the Quad 405. No statistically significant differences were identified. Nowadays, reviewers get nowhere close to submitting themselves to double blind testing with any electronics - be they transports, CD players, DACs, pre-amplifiers, amplifiers or power amplifiers.

All pretty regrettable. Not sure what happens within the USA reviewer population.

enit
06-04-2013, 01:02 AM
I'm impressed by your discriminatory capabilities with these amplifiers, whether sighted, blind or double blind (assuming, of course, they are level matched and each operating within their performance envelopes). So I "might as well give up the hobby"! I doubt I could discriminate most of the time.

Many years ago, a distinguished panel of experienced audio reviewers in the UK were tested double blind using three Quad amps designed some 20 years apart - the Quad II, the Quad 303 and the Quad 405. No statistically significant differences were identified. Nowadays, reviewers get nowhere close to submitting themselves to double blind testing with any electronics - be they transports, CD players, DACs, pre-amplifiers, amplifiers or power amplifiers.

All pretty regrettable. Not sure what happens within the USA reviewer population.

I'm pretty sure you'll hear big leaps in sound when instead of a quad amp, you hear various generations of mc amps.

It's more obvious to listen to different brands.

Some say amplifiers that are not strained, playing at the same wattage, will sound the same too. I beg to differ. I think you do too.

With the same reasoning, you'd be able to tell the differences between different brands and models.

My point is just that Devialet sounds good. There are other brands that sound "different" & "better" at various price points, same way the Devialet is "better" than other brands, and it's based on my listening sessions and experiences with the Devialet.

Elberoth
06-04-2013, 04:06 PM

I hope you realise our aural memory is only 20s long ... and how it affects the ABX testing.

IanG-UK
06-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I hope you realise our aural memory is only 20s long ... and how it affects the ABX testing.

Accepted ... and how it affects testing whether sighted or blind.

struts001
11-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Hi folks! Apologies for changing the subject but has anyone out there managed to get AIR working with JRMC on a Mac? Have AIR working from iTunes but on the same Mac I get no sound when I try to play in JRMC after selecting AIR as the Core Audio output device in JRMC's tools/options. OSX 10.9/JRMC 19.0.055/AIR 2.1.

SeaNile
07-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Sorry to drag this thread up but I am interested in a D Premier Devialet. I'm in the middle of putting together a system and leaning towards the Revel Studio 2 speakers and possibly a Hegel h300. I realize the Devialet is considerably more expensive. How would you compare these two amps?

I do not have any CD's so my music will be streamed from a computer or mini mac, external hard drive, etc. Looking to get high quality sound without having to rebuy CDs. Currently all of my music is in iTunes.

adhesiv
07-17-2014, 12:21 AM
I was looking at the same thing about 2 years ago...Hegel H300 v Devialet D-Premier.

I eventually chose the D-Premier after careful consideration.

As far as your music collection in iTunes, the Devialet AIR app integrates with iTunes though it can also be used with any playback source on your Mac mini as it basically takes over as the output device.

I currently have the following setup:

Mac mini > Devialet (over AIR) > KEF LS50

This is a very simple and pure chain...Devialet acts as DAC, preamp and amp.

Disclaimer: I'm just about to list my D-Premier for sale. I'm not replacing it with anything just need the cash.

SeaNile
07-17-2014, 07:24 AM
I'm definitely shopping around for a preowned Devialet but noticed the upgrade for the D-Premier is only available for a few more weeks and is $5000.

adhesiv
07-17-2014, 07:11 PM
You should subscribe to this great forum so we can talk more over PM. ;)

SeaNile
07-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Thought I was a subscribed member? Kind of a newbie with about 6 posts? Is that why we can't PM?

Masterlu
07-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Thought I was a subscribed member? Kind of a newbie with about 6 posts? Is that why we can't PM?

Here you go:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/become-aa-subscriber/135-thank-you-becoming-subscriber.html

http://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php

EfeTe
07-17-2014, 10:08 PM
On this Ivan,

Just sent you a message via FB to try and address this issue ok? Cheers

Masterlu
07-17-2014, 10:17 PM
On this Ivan,

Just sent you a message via FB to try and address this issue ok? Cheers

Sorry, but I don't read or post on Facebook; haven't for years.

EfeTe
07-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Hmmm not sure how I can work this out then. Will try and email you Ok?

SeaNile
07-17-2014, 10:27 PM
You should subscribe to this great forum so we can talk more over PM. ;)

Not sure I could justify the price of a Devialet compared to a Hegel h300. Not sure why, but i like the Devialet better but I can get a really good deal on a new h300 with full warranty.

adiobum
07-18-2014, 01:34 AM
I'm definitely shopping around for a preowned Devialet but noticed the upgrade for the D-Premier is only available for a few more weeks and is $5000.

SeaNile

For you consideration. I have a D-Premier and will not be upgrading. The loss of the HDMI is one reason. While I would like to do AIR over Ethernet, I see no advantage to USB.

That said I am very very happy with Devialet and will never go back to a multi box system.

Hg

SeaNile
07-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Here is where i am on things being new to this age of streaming music...I'm clueless. I had hundred's of CD's that I burned years ago into my iTunes library. Even now I still continue to buy music via iTunes and listen to it via a lame Bose docking system. It's definitely time to get back into a decent sounding system aside from my HT system that will be in the basement.

OK, so what I want to do is figure out how I can play my iTunes library on my new system. I'm speaker shopping today and will need a DVD player for the family room as well which is where the stereo will be located.

I'm pretty confused about all the DAC options, how to stream and these services that are recommended like Jriver, etc. So do I need to buy a separate Mac mini, or an external hard drive to store all of my music? How does the music library get to the unit with the DAC, via ethernet cable, USB cable, etc?? Lastly, what about the quality of the stuff I have on iTunes, will I need to buy things again for better sound quality?

See, with all these questions I can't even begin to make an educated decision between a Devialet or Hegel h300 unit!

Thanks for listening.

Family Progtitioner
07-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Here is where i am on things being new to this age of streaming music...I'm clueless. I had hundred's of CD's that I burned years ago into my iTunes library. Even now I still continue to buy music via iTunes and listen to it via a lame Bose docking system. It's definitely time to get back into a decent sounding system aside from my HT system that will be in the basement. OK, so what I want to do is figure out how I can play my iTunes library on my new system. I'm speaker shopping today and will need a DVD player for the family room as well which is where the stereo will be located. I'm pretty confused about all the DAC options, how to stream and these services that are recommended like Jriver, etc. So do I need to buy a separate Mac mini, or an external hard drive to store all of my music? How does the music library get to the unit with the DAC, via ethernet cable, USB cable, etc?? Lastly, what about the quality of the stuff I have on iTunes, will I need to buy things again for better sound quality? See, with all these questions I can't even begin to make an educated decision between a Devialet or Hegel h300 unit! Thanks for listening.

Just get a sonos and call it a day. It is so simple. It will play your own music library as well as multiple streaming services and internet radio.

adhesiv
07-18-2014, 09:27 AM
Just get a sonos and call it a day. It is so simple. It will play your own music library as well as multiple streaming services and internet radio.

If your goal is just to connect your digital music library to your system I agree with above, just get a Sonos.

SeaNile
07-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Made the decision, Revel Studio 2 with Hegel H300.

How do I get my iTunes library to my stereo? Would getting a Mac Mini and running something like Jriver be the best option?

IanG-UK
12-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Strange that the Devialet thread is one of the most popular of the manufacturers and very popular in terms of views and yet does not get a dedicated forum (or even a mention in the title if this sub forum)

adhesiv
12-10-2014, 08:47 PM
There were a few owners on here but now it appears you, myself and Caelin (of Shunyata) may be the only ones left.

Pider
12-10-2014, 09:21 PM
There were a few owners on here but now it appears you, myself and Caelin (of Shunyata) may be the only ones left.

I'm looking into being one, but thus far I have found little information. That may be because I haven't searched hard enough. I doubt that there is a dealer near me. Hard to consider the entry level cost on hearsay. One needs to try such things. Really intriguing, though!

jaxwired
12-10-2014, 10:01 PM
I switched to devialet a couple months back. I have two D200 running as monos. Very happy. Truly state of the art sound for someone that is all digital like myself. Plus devialet provides custom DSP (SAM) for my PMC fact 8 speakers.

John49
12-10-2014, 10:30 PM
I'm looking into being one, but thus far I have found little information. That may be because I haven't searched hard enough. I doubt that there is a dealer near me. Hard to consider the entry level cost on hearsay. One needs to try such things. Really intriguing, though!

I'm looking into being one too. I have a local dealer who carries them and have heard the 200 a lot through various sets of speakers, but mainly Sonus faber. Would be sad to give up my Moon 700i though, so would need to be sure. Certainly a lot lighter!

adhesiv
12-11-2014, 12:58 AM
Hey John,

What speakers are you running now?

adhesiv
12-11-2014, 01:07 AM

Not sure if you followed my journey from green to chrome but it's been a great decision for me.

There's a dedicated forum for Devialet that's a spin off from multiple other forums where there's a lot of discussion amongst current and prospective owners. I always get nervous about posting links here so feel free to PM me and I can share or you can just do a google search for "Devialet chat"

Where are you located? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a dealer fairly close by.

There's also a new product release coming on Dec 16...it's being touted as revolutionary...likely marketing bs...but so far it's a total mystery and the Devialet guys are pretty innovative so there could be new disruptive tech being released soon...exciting times.

adhesiv
12-11-2014, 01:09 AM
I switched to devialet a couple months back. I have two D200 running as monos. Very happy. Truly state of the art sound for someone that is all digital like myself. Plus devialet provides custom DSP (SAM) for my PMC fact 8 speakers.

Awesome setup! SAM is really supposed to be something else. I should have my D250 back soon and will be excited to use SAM with my KEF LS50's.

adiobum
12-11-2014, 02:11 AM

I am still here and still with my D-Priemer. And still see nothing that can replace it.

Hg

Pider
12-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Not sure if you followed my journey from green to chrome but it's been a great decision for me. There's a dedicated forum for Devialet that's a spin off from multiple other forums where there's a lot of discussion amongst current and prospective owners. I always get nervous about posting links here so feel free to PM me and I can share or you can just do a google search for "Devialet chat" Where are you located? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a dealer fairly close by. There's also a new product release coming on Dec 16...it's being touted as revolutionary...likely marketing bs...but so far it's a total mystery and the Devialet guys are pretty innovative so there could be new disruptive tech being released soon...exciting times.

Portland, OR. Right now I'm on a bicycle tour in the Florida keys, but when I get back, I'll check around to see what's available. Plus I'll shoot you a PM for that link. Where can I read about the journey?

IanG-UK
12-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Yes there are two new products, the Phantom and the Dialog - lots if you Google them