PDA

View Full Version : Review of DarTZeel NHB-458 monoblocks from Hifi+ at AVGuide.com...

cmalak
02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
DarTZeel NHB-458 monoblocks (Hi-Fi+ 77) | AVguide (http://www.avguide.com/review/dartzeel-nhb-458-monoblocks-hi-fi-77)

http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-tech-guide/files/rsz_77_er_dartzeel_nhb-458_1.jpg http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-tech-guide/files/rsz_77_er_dartzeel_nhb-458.jpg

Howie...these have your name written all over them :D

Some specs:

Power Output: 450 watts into 8 ohms; 600 watts on peak program music; 720 watts under 4 ohms; 1,200 watts on peak program music
Inputs: phono (single-ended), XLR, Zeel
No global negative feedback
No feedback at input
Price: £135,000

-E-
02-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Those are some...ehhh... flamboyant colors...

Still-One
02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
I just read the review over the weekend in the Issue 77 of Hi Fi Plus. Very nice indeed.

Jim

TommyC
02-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Those are some...ehhh... flamboyant colors...

You mean Iron Man colour? :D

howiebrou
02-28-2011, 10:04 PM
DarTZeel NHB-458 monoblocks (Hi-Fi+ 77) | AVguide (http://www.avguide.com/review/dartzeel-nhb-458-monoblocks-hi-fi-77)

http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-tech-guide/files/rsz_77_er_dartzeel_nhb-458_1.jpg http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-tech-guide/files/rsz_77_er_dartzeel_nhb-458.jpg

Howie...these have your name written all over them :D

Some specs:

Power Output: 450 watts into 8 ohms; 600 watts on peak program music; 720 watts under 4 ohms; 1,200 watts on peak program music
Inputs: phono (single-ended), XLR, Zeel
No global negative feedback
No feedback at input
Price: £135,000

Don't talk to me about darTZeel. I am STILL waiting for my amps. :tears:

cmalak
02-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Don't talk to me about darTZeel. I am STILL waiting for my amps. :tears:

Oh crap :icon_thumbsdown: Sorry about that Howie...won't bring it up again. Hope they arrive soon :thumbsup:

Alberto
02-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Hmmm. I love the "traditional" darTZeel look (i.e. the gold and red) but I am ot sure I dig the gold and purple - but I am sure Prince would like a pair.

Alberto

TommyC
03-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Hmmm. I love the "traditional" darTZeel look (i.e. the gold and red) but I am ot sure I dig the gold and purple - but I am sure Prince would like a pair.

Alberto

The colour is still gold and red. That "purple" tint is incorrect.

howiebrou
03-01-2011, 03:25 AM
Oh crap :icon_thumbsdown: Sorry about that Howie...won't bring it up again. Hope they arrive soon :thumbsup:

No worries. Ripping cds to my Sooloos is doing my head in so much that I can't think straight anyway :D

2486 so far.....

JSCC
03-01-2011, 04:49 AM
No worries. Ripping cds to my Sooloos is doing my head in so much that I can't think straight anyway :D

2486 so far.....

Bro, On the contrary, the ripping is helping you in your health, improving mental endurance, toughening the eye muscles and stopping the itch in thinking about anything else!

Anyway, darTZeel does have your name all over it ... NHB = "Now Howie Bro" in short! :D

By the way, my Twinstore went back to the local dealer ... down, sick and needed a replacement of part. :tears:

howiebrou
03-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Bro, On the contrary, the ripping is helping you in your health, improving mental endurance, toughening the eye muscles and stopping the itch in thinking about anything else!

Anyway, darTZeel does have your name all over it ... NHB = "Now Howie Bro" in short! :D

By the way, my Twinstore went back to the local dealer ... down, sick and needed a replacement of part. :tears:

I think my wife will say NEVER (again will) HOWIE BREATHE, if I turn up with the monoblocks...

JSCC
03-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I think my wife will say NEVER (again will) HOWIE BREATHE, if I turn up with the monoblocks...

You are like James Bond (we all are, somehow) - Live Twice!!! :D

And seriously, NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN! :thumbsup:

Tell her, Mono is he way to go! (thats true for love and relationship isn't it, so why not hifi leh?) :D

JSCC
03-01-2011, 10:59 AM

You are like James Bond (we all are, somehow) - Live Twice!!! :D

And seriously, NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN! :thumbsup:

Tell her, Mono is the way to go! (thats true for love and relationship isn't it, so why not hifi leh?) :D

Still-One
03-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Alberto
Alberto is correct. The photos in the Hi Fi + review show that the amps are Gold & Red not Iron Man Purple. Not that they look better in red. :no:

Jim

Alberto
03-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Alberto is correct. The photos in the Hi Fi + review show that the amps are Gold & Red not Iron Man Purple. Not that they look better in red. :no:

Jim

I kinda like the gold and red look - at least it's different from all the boring box designs of other makers.

I also love the sense of humor darTZeel shows in their product. I believe one of the knobs in the preamp is labeled "pleasure" - or something like that.

Alberto

Still-One
03-01-2011, 01:14 PM
I kinda like the gold and red look - at least it's different from all the boring box designs of other makers.

I also love the sense of humor darTZeel shows in their product. I believe one of the knobs in the preamp is labeled "pleasure" - or something like that.

Alberto
Alberto
Yes, the volume knob on the Pre-amp is called the Pleasure Control. :D

The reviewer sure liked the amps. As he noted, you will need a lot of discretionary income to drop more on a pair of amps than a Porsche Panamera Turbo fully loaded.

JIm

joeinid
03-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Has anyone compared the integrated CTH-8550 to the Stereo NHB-108 Model A or B ?

It looks like the CTH-8550 has 220 watts RMS / 8 ohms and 350 watts RMS / 4 ohms vs the Stereo NHB-108 with "only" 100 watts RMS @ 8 (Hi) and 2 (Lo) Ohms and 160 watts RMS @ 4 (Hi) and 1 (Lo) Ohms.

How do you think the Stereo NHB-108 would play with another manufacturers preamp? I realize that their preamp would ultimately be the better combination.

They do look nice :yes:

howiebrou
03-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Has anyone compared the integrated CTH-8550 to the Stereo NHB-108 Model A or B ?

It looks like the CTH-8550 has 220 watts RMS / 8 ohms and 350 watts RMS / 4 ohms vs the Stereo NHB-108 with "only" 100 watts RMS @ 8 (Hi) and 2 (Lo) Ohms and 160 watts RMS @ 4 (Hi) and 1 (Lo) Ohms.

How do you think the Stereo NHB-108 would play with another manufacturers preamp? I realize that their preamp would ultimately be the better combination.

The integrated amp is very popular as it allows darTZeel entry and a much more affordable price. I have not ABed them but long term I think the separates still offer more if the budget allows. :yes:

joeinid
03-01-2011, 09:12 PM
The integrated amp is very popular as it allows darTZeel entry and a much more affordable price. I have not ABed them but long term I think the separates still offer more if the budget allows. :yes:

Thanks Howie,

I plan on listening to as many components as I can before I make my next big purchase.

Joe

howiebrou
03-02-2011, 03:53 AM
Thanks Howie,

I plan on listening to as many components as I can before I make my next big purchase.

Joe

BTW, Joe, sorry didn't reply to your darTZeel pm. My aficionado status just expired and I lost my pm capability for a while.

howie

joeinid
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
No problem. Please keep up updated when your babies arrive. I'd like to hear your impressions as they break in.:music:

walakalulu
07-15-2011, 01:15 AM

I'm using the darTZeel 108 with the Audio Research Ref 5 and they work well together

Car commander
01-10-2012, 04:25 PM
What amp did you replace with the darTzeel 108? I am thinking about one too.