PDA

View Full Version : Furutech Demag

BearCubinNY
02-09-2011, 06:21 AM
I'm sure most who read this will be convinced that I'm completely off the reservation. I've had the Furutech Demag for about a week. It's a device that demagnetizes LP's, CD's, cables or just about anything else that can sit on it's platter. I have done enough comparing that I'm sure this does what it claims. It takes the edge/shine off the playback of records. It adds a smoothness that's more than subtle.

I'm a believer now, but I needed independent confirmation in my system. Last night I had my second confirmation. I had a friend over and didn't preface the listening session at all. He's got great ears and I wanted to get his raw reactions. He heard the improvement and wanted to know if I had switched carts on him. He was skeptical at first that the device was the source of the improvement. As with any good science project, we repeated the experiment and the results enough that he's ordering one for himself.

He felt the improvement compared favorably to his reel to reel tape masters. I can see how he came to that conclusion. The flow was more relaxed, more inviting.

I hope to demag some cables this weekend.

Reg

howiebrou
02-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Nice write up Reg. I have yet to try it but would not be surprised if there was a discernible difference.

howie

BlueChiaro
02-09-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm sure most who read this will be convinced that I'm completely off the reservation. I've had the Furutech Demag for about a week. It's a device that demagnetizes LP's, CD's, cables or just about anything else that can sit on it's platter. I have done enough comparing that I'm sure this does what it claims. It takes the edge/shine off the playback of records. It adds a smoothness that's more than subtle.

I'm a believer now, but I needed independent confirmation in my system. Last night I had my second confirmation. I had a friend over and didn't preface the listening session at all. He's got great ears and I wanted to get his raw reactions. He heard the improvement and wanted to know if I had switched carts on him. He was skeptical at first that the device was the source of the improvement. As with any good science project, we repeated the experiment and the results enough that he's ordering one for himself.

He felt the improvement compared favorably to his reel to reel tape masters. I can see how he came to that conclusion. The flow was more relaxed, more inviting.

I hope to demag some cables this weekend.

Reg

Geez, Reg, that didn't stay on your "wish list" very long! Should I assume that the flattener arrives, tomorrow? :D

BearCubinNY
02-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Geez, Reg, that didn't stay on your "wish list" very long! Should I assume that the flattener arrives, tomorrow? :D
Hey Robert,
They arrived together. I have yet to use the flattener. :D

Reg

Tonepub
02-09-2011, 02:46 PM
The demag is really an awesome product. A little spendy but worth it. If you've got a decent system (which everyone here has) you'll hear it right away and everyone I know that's heard it or tried it has had the exact same experience you have.

Enjoy!

Tonepub
02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Reg!

Try that flattner on a couple of 1 dollar records to get the hang of it. Also, in case you haven't thought of it, get your records as clean and dust free as possible before inserting in the flattner. I've had excellent luck with compressed air to really blow them off well.

Once that record gets warm, anything on the surface gets embedded!

Don't want to tear a stylus off your goldfinger with a dirt bump....

:)

BearCubinNY
02-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Reg!

Try that flattner on a couple of 1 dollar records to get the hang of it. Also, in case you haven't thought of it, get your records as clean and dust free as possible before inserting in the flattner. I've had excellent luck with compressed air to really blow them off well.

Once that record gets warm, anything on the surface gets embedded!

Don't want to tear a stylus off your goldfinger with a dirt bump....

:)
Thanks Jeff! That's more great advice. Fortunately, I don't have a great deal of warped records in my meager collection (~5,500 LP's and growing :yes:). I'm running out of shelf space for all these do-dads that are neccessary for good vinyl maintenance. :D

Reg

rnrmf1971
02-09-2011, 08:38 PM
After de-magging, how often is it recommended to repeat the process on cables or non record stuff?
Did you try this with any cd's?

TommyC
02-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Reg.... would be great if you can try demagging some cables, power cords, CDs, blu-rays, etc. Should be an interesting weekend project.

BearCubinNY
02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
After de-magging, how often is it recommended to repeat the process on cables or non record stuff?
Did you try this with any cd's?

The instructions are literally 6 bullet points on a shard of paper 8.5' x 6'. I kid you not! :no:

The relevant point states:

"The process may be repeated many times and will not damage an LP, CD, DVD, connector or cable."

So far one treatment has been providing a satisfactory result. I haven't tried it on CD's and don't think I will. My transport (Naim CD555/PS555) is sealed away in my graveyard of equipment. It weighs a ton and I don't relish pulling it out anytime soon. Sorry

Jeff (tonepub) might jump in and add his experience. He's had his for quite a while.

Reg

BearCubinNY
02-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Reg.... would be great if you can try demagging some cables, power cords, CDs, blu-rays, etc. Should be an interesting weekend project.

Tommy, I plan on demagging some cables, power cords, blu-rays (just not CD's) for reasons explained above.

Reg

Tonepub
02-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Flame suit on, but I've never tried to demag cables, because I thought once you started passing signal through them the party's over.

As for CD's, I've tried that Furutech with every known optical disc I could throw at it and I could not hear an ounce of diff. Gold disks, silver discs, ones with no writing, lots of writing still no diff.

There are a lot of industry people that will argue with me to death on this one, but I've never seen a difference.

But I do have to admit that I agree with everyone else who's heard the effect on the LP's. That is fantastic and everyone who's heard it has pretty much heard the same thing, even non audiophiles.

Personally, that's enough for me!

TommyC
02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Flame suit on, but I've never tried to demag cables, because I thought once you started passing signal through them the party's over.

As for CD's, I've tried that Furutech with every known optical disc I could throw at it and I could not hear an ounce of diff. Gold disks, silver discs, ones with no writing, lots of writing still no diff.

There are a lot of industry people that will argue with me to death on this one, but I've never seen a difference.

But I do have to admit that I agree with everyone else who's heard the effect on the LP's. That is fantastic and everyone who's heard it has pretty much heard the same thing, even non audiophiles.

Personally, that's enough for me!

Interesting. All Furutech's cables (and any metal parts ie. connectors, screws, etc) undergo their Alpha processing, which include cryo and demag. So their cables are all non-magnetic.

Tonepub
02-10-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm wondering if I run the demag on my 17 year old daughter's brain a few times if she will forget about her boyfriend.....

TommyC
02-10-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm wondering if I run the demag on my 17 year old daughter's brain a few times if she will forget about her boyfriend.....

I think you should run the demag over the boyfriend instead...

Tonepub
02-10-2011, 02:55 AM
No, I should run my SUV over the boyfriend....

BearCubinNY
02-10-2011, 09:11 AM
No, I should run my SUV over the boyfriend....

Jeff, I feel your pain! :yes:
I have a 17 year old daughter as well and would find your responses funny if it were someone else! Soon they'll fly the coop and we'll have even less say over their choices! Can't wait! :no:

Reg

jdandy
02-10-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm a believer now, but I needed independent confirmation in my system.

Reg.......Just as long as your friend doesn't try to demag some 10-1/2" reels he'll be fine. :D

BearCubinNY
02-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Reg.......Just as long as your friend doesn't try to demag some 10-1/2" reels he'll be fine. :D

Dan, spoken like someone who has tape. :yes: We nervously joked about the effects of the machine on his tape library. He's putting the machine on the other side of the room! I, on the other hand, had planned for it to go near my TT. I'll be rethinking that one once the Sooloos arrives. Magnets and computers don't play nicely together either!

Reg

jdandy
02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Reg.......External magnets and phono cartridges don't play well together, either. Be careful.

Tonepub
02-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah, keep that thing way away from your turntables!

turntable
02-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Do you have to de-mag every time you play the same LP?

Is there any improvment if you de-mag the same LP a 2nd time ?

I have the Orb disc flattener and it works well. Except for new Universal LP's and anything pressed at the POS GZ digital in the Czech rep as they have changed the standard vinyl formulation I believe. the LP gets fried. I assume Universal LP's are pressed at GZ digital.

BTW - Orb are the original manufacturer of the Furatech and Air Tight LP flatteners, so you save the inflated brand profit margin if you buy direct from Japan.

cheers

BearCubinNY
02-16-2011, 06:24 AM
I haven't been demagging every time. For the few albums that I have gone back to (normally the alternate side). If I detect anything on the album I'll give a demag. I have a process where I change the sleeves, so I know which albums have been thoroughly cleaned and demagged. The mfgr offers no guidance on this.

Reg

jdandy
02-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I have a process where I change the sleeves, so I know which albums have been thoroughly cleaned and demagged. The mfgr offers no guidance on this.

Reg.......Imagine that, no guidance. For that you need one of these. The mystery of the Furutech Demag will be revealed.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/looking_glass.jpg

BearCubinNY
02-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Dan, I think the crystal ball is a definite upgrade over my Ouija board! :D

Reg

jdandy
02-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Reg.......Guidance is beginning to appear. :lmao:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/CrystalBallDeMag.jpg

Gene
03-29-2011, 12:38 AM
Reg.......Guidance is beginning to appear. :lmao:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/CrystalBallDeMag.jpg

Guidance received. Will buy Demag.

Tonepub
03-29-2011, 08:59 PM
You will enjoy the demag. It works...

Formerly YB-2
03-30-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm wondering if I run the demag on my 17 year old daughter's brain a few times if she will forget about her boyfriend.....Only one thing will work on a teenage girl's brain. Age. Our daughter finally starting becoming a 'person' (someone whose brain actually processes information) ~her second year in college. She has gotten about as good as any woman can now that she is in her 30's. :)

Tonepub
03-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Lew Johnson at CJ told me the same thing!

Boo
07-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Magnetic vinyl?

Tonepub
07-30-2011, 02:33 AM
You need a demo....

Jerome W
07-30-2011, 04:14 AM
The instructions are literally 6 bullet points on a shard of paper 8.5' x 6'. I kid you not! :no:

The relevant point states:

"The process may be repeated many times and will not damage an LP, CD, DVD, connector or cable."

So far one treatment has been providing a satisfactory result. I haven't tried it on CD's and don't think I will. My transport (Naim CD555/PS555) is sealed away in my graveyard of equipment. It weighs a ton and I don't relish pulling it out anytime soon. Sorry

Jeff (tonepub) might jump in and add his experience. He's had his for quite a while.

Reg

:sigh: : what else do you have in your graveyard Reg ?

BearCubinNY
07-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Hey Jérôme,
Not quite as much as Ivan, but enough to have several complete listening rooms.

Reg

Masterlu
07-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Since this item is up for sale in the Marketplace, I thought it might make for some interesting reading.

Heck, I'm considering it myself. :scratch2:

Jerome W
07-29-2012, 03:28 AM
Ivan,
Reading this thread reminds me of Reg's kindness, modesty, and how a gentleman he was.
:tears:
"Who is loved by G. ? The one who is loved by men. " Pirkei Avoths.
No doubt Reg is close to the Creator.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Gene
09-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Wondering if a $30.00 hand held demagnetizer will work just as well...

Masterlu
09-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Wondering if a $30.00 hand held demagnetizer will work just as well...

Highly unlikely they would have the Degaussing capability of the Furutech.

Gene
10-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Highly unlikely they would have the Degaussing capability of the Furutech.

I saw a post at Audiogon where they talk about this handheld unit and that it works.

I am a bit skeptic about the mangnetizing behavior of vinyl LPs but I got one to try it out.

First, I wanted to see if there is a degrading ability. I tried to magnetize an LP as I stated I am a bit skeptic of all this. I then listened. There is something to all this as the LP now sounded really harsh and gritty. It sounded all wrong to my ears. I then demagnetized the LP and it went back to the way the LP has sounded to me.

I need to further test to see if the improvements are really worth the effort in demagnetizing LPs.

The unit is 30 bucks. Which is 1% of what Furutech Demag goes for these days.

Masterlu
10-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks, but I'll keep my Furutech. :)