PDA

View Full Version : CJ ET-5 Pre-amp preview

Puma Cat
02-06-2011, 05:36 PM
it is much appreciated, Ivan.

For those interested, the new C-J ET 5 preamp. This is based on the GAT:

Conrad-Johnson's new ET5 | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/conrad-johnsons-new-et5)

Tonepub
02-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Keep in mind this is not a review, merely a photo of a static display at CES. There are no ET-5's in actual production yet, and no one has them for review at this point in time. When I talked to Lew Johnson at the show he was hoping for April delivery. And in typical CJ fashion, chances are they will fill the first round of orders before they have review samples.

It does look like a very exciting product. Will be curious to see how it stacks up to my ACT 2/series 2.

Masterlu
02-06-2011, 08:35 PM
I'll change it to say preview ;)

Puma Cat
02-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I'll change it to say preview ;)

There ya go....

Would love to see (when possible) an ET5 plus ART amplifier mono block review.

Puma Cat
02-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Keep in mind this is not a review, merely a photo of a static display at CES. There are no ET-5's in actual production yet, and no one has them for review at this point in time. When I talked to Lew Johnson at the show he was hoping for April delivery. And in typical CJ fashion, chances are they will fill the first round of orders before they have review samples.

It does look like a very exciting product. Will be curious to see how it stacks up to my ACT 2/series 2.

I changed the title of the post to preview. Thanks, Jeff.

turntable
04-01-2011, 06:57 AM
I do not like the two tone face plate.

I really hope Lew and Bill go with classik cj gold

Puma Cat
04-01-2011, 01:15 PM
I do not like the two tone face plate.

I really hope Lew and Bill go with classik cj gold

Me, too.

Also find it curious that the no. of tubes in their tube preamps is dwindling.

From 10 that were in the ART to the 4 that were in the ACT/Pr16/Pr17 to to the two in the CT-5 and GAT, and now the ET-3 and ET-5 have but one tube. It's almost hard to think of it as a tube preamp with but one tube. I wonder if this heralds a move to solid-state over the longer term.

cmalak
04-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Stephen...my sense is both CJ and ARC have been moving towards a more neutral sound straddling traditional SS and tube characteristics in their latest designs.

turntable
04-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Me, too.

Also find it curious that the no. of tubes in their tube preamps is dwindling.

From 10 that were in the ART to the 4 that were in the ACT/Pr16/Pr17 to to the two in the CT-5 and GAT, and now the ET-3 and ET-5 have but one tube. It's almost hard to think of it as a tube preamp with but one tube. I wonder if this heralds a move to solid-state over the longer term.

Me, I'm sticking with 10 tubes :music::D

Puma Cat
04-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Me, I'm sticking with 10 tubes :music::D

I can see that....

Volks
04-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Puma Cat.............what was the last CDP CJ made and the year?I cant seem to find many used for sale in any model.

repman
08-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Nice review of the ET-5 in the new Tone Audio #39

Thanks Jeff I am very happy with mine.

Tonepub
08-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Glad you like it, it's a great pre!

And thanks for being a Zinio subscriber...

repman
08-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I loved my Premier 17LS but my ET-5 is another animal altogether.

Your welcome Jeff I love Zinio #39 is a great issue thank you for the excellent magazine.

Puma Cat
08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
I loved my Premier 17LS but my ET-5 is another animal altogether.

How long did it take for your ET-5 to break in the Teflon caps?

VT Skier
08-16-2011, 08:52 PM
And do you think it's better than your ACT2 Series 2?

:D

Tonepub
08-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't believe I said that in the review....

repman
08-16-2011, 11:18 PM
How long did it take for your ET-5 to break in the Teflon caps?

It took about 300 hours to really start to sound good and then it has improved slightly since I guess I have about 450- 500 hrs on it now.

It really sounds much improved over when I first unboxed it, I was worried at first that I made a horrible mistake but I am really enjoying it now

Puma Cat
08-16-2011, 11:41 PM
I was worried at first that I made a horrible mistake but I am really enjoying it now

Yeah, that phase is pretty scary, isn't it?

Tonepub
08-17-2011, 12:00 AM
It was the same thing when I bought my ACT 2 and Premier 350. They sounded pretty lifeless right out of the box.

VT Skier
08-17-2011, 07:20 AM
I know, silly, self-serving question on my part. But I'm not able to access the new issue yet so I thought I'd ask.

repman
08-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah, that phase is pretty scary, isn't it?

I was thinking how big of a hit am I going to take selling this thing.

I was warned of the long break in, its just that you cant believe it can change that much , Thank God it does whew!

Rafale
08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Not comfortable when your friends visit you and want to listen to the "fabulous brand new high end preamplifier"....do not worry guys he is a little bit young but he is going to improve in time.....just like the good wine

repman
08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Not comfortable when your friends visit you and want to listen to the "fabulous brand new high end preamplifier"....do not worry guys he is a little bit young but he is going to improve in time.....just like the good wine

Mine is not quite as high end as yours but you are exactly right. Its definitely the good wine now:D

Rafale
08-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Fantastic review of ET5 in the new HI-FI + by Alan Sircom

''the ET5 practically defines the tenets of The Absolute Sound, as laid down by Harry Pearson-it excels at creating the illusion of a live, unamplified event in the listening room. The preamp's ability to get out of the way of the recording in such instances is truly first rate. This exposes a great deal of the music , and the space around the music, which makes for an expensive and supremely detailed reproduction of the studio space microcosm in your living room.
The ET5 big talking point for me is it challenges head-on the whole concept of Pace Rhythm and Timing, to the point whether i wonder if these elements truly exists. This preamp doesn't 'time' in the way PRaT advocates seem to define the term, it merely gets on with the playing of music.
Next to the ET5, most preamplifiers sound fake and arch. There's a sense of life and joie de vivre to the sound that simply doesn't make it through many line stages. The exceptions are the handful of preamps so outstandingly good they get talked about in hushed tones.

repman
08-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks Philippe, I appreciate the heads up on the review.

VT Skier
08-29-2011, 10:29 AM
As do I. It sounds like the ARC REF 5 has some serious competition.