PDA

View Full Version : Ivan - Vinyl or Digital?

dpgstereo
01-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Now that you have a few miles on your turntable, what do you think?
If you had to choose only one highend setup for music, vinyl vs. digital, which source and why?
Second, of your highest quality audio recordings that you have in both vinyl and digital, which format do you prefer and why? Differences?

Welcome back to FL.

.................................................. .................................................. .......

Masterlu
01-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Now that you have a few miles on your turntable, what do you think?
If you had to choose only one highend setup for music, vinyl vs. digital, which source and why?
Second, of your highest quality audio recordings that you have in both vinyl and digital, which format do you prefer and why? Differences?

Wow, good thing I did my homework ;)

If I had to choose only one, I would have to choose digital mainly because I have thousands of CD's and only a few hundred LP's. If music content was equal, it would be a lot tougher. I love the convenience of my Servers, and the new MCD1100 tipped the scale back to digital.

If you don't mind the higher maintenance of cleaning, and getting up more frequently my Vinyl Rig is awesome.

Some of my favorite digital music is only on SACD, so once again there is an unfair advantage. All my vinyl is brand new, mostly re-masters so they can easily best a normal Redbook CD.

All in all, I'm very glad I don't have to pick just one format. To make things even more interesting, Dan recently sent me a 10.5" tape reel he mastered in his studio for my Teac X2000R w/ DBX encoding. It was the first tape I ever played on this brand new deck; simply amazing!

Great thread & question, I'm sure I'll be adding to this one. :yes:

BearCubinNY
01-24-2011, 05:33 AM

If I had to choose only one, I would have to choose digital mainly because I have thousands of CD's and only a few hundred LP's. If music content was equal, it would be a lot tougher. I love the convenience of my Servers, and the new MCD1100 tipped the scale back to digital.

If you don't mind the higher maintenance of cleaning, and getting up more frequently my Vinyl Rig is awesome.

Some of my favorite digital music is only on SACD, so once again there is an unfair advantage. All my vinyl is brand new, mostly re-masters so they can easily best a normal Redbook CD.

All in all, I'm very glad I don't have to pick just one format. To make things even more interesting, Dan recently sent me a 10.5" tape reel he mastered in his studio for my Teac X2000R w/ DBX encoding. It was the first tape I ever played on this brand new deck; simply amazing!

Ivan, revisit this thread once you have the better cart (CA Goldfinger V2) on your TT. It really is that much better. I had Joeinid and Face over and they both, without hesitation, could hear it's superiority. Enjoy :music:

Reg

joeinid
01-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Ivan, revisit this thread once you have the better cart (CA Goldfinger V2) on your TT. It really is that much better. I had Joeinid and Face over and they both, without hesitation, could hear it's superiority. Enjoy :music:

Reg

Ivan, Everyone, There is absolutely no comparison. I love the convenience of digital/cd/etc. but what I heard from Reg's system was absolutely, freaking amazing. I was blown away. I had no idea what all this fuss/buzz was around vinyl, until last night. Reg showed me the "rabbit hole" alright. I do not have golden ears, far from it, but I could tell the difference between the two tonarms/carts he had set up on the same TT. Vinyl + tubes = the ultimate transducer. Actually, the artists were right there with us. I was breathing with them. It all sounded so real, natural and unforced. I had goosebumps. It has been 10 years since the last I heard a system that gave me goosebumps.

Joe

Masterlu
01-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Awesome Joe, now that's what we're talking about! :banana:

joeinid
01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Awesome Joe, now that's what we're talking about! :banana:

Not only is the equipment a big part of the equation, but speaker placement, and room treatments are very important. The sum was greater than any of the parts. Bravo Reg!!!

Joe

Masterlu
01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Not only is the equipment a big part of the equation, but speaker placement, and room treatments are very important. The sum was greater than any of the parts. Bravo Reg!!!

Joe

I bet you were eye balling those F113's :naughty:

joeinid
01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
I bet you were eye balling those F113's :naughty:

This is how clueless I was, they were integrated so well I did not even realize they were on. Unbelievable! :drool: I think we are going to need a sales extension, wink, wink.

Joe

Tonepub
01-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah, that Goldfinger is pretty outstanding. It's definitely on my list for this year!

Mack
01-24-2011, 11:56 PM

The X2000R that's an awesome machine. Which color silver or black?

two dot
01-25-2011, 12:02 AM
I only wish that you guys could hear a system based around vintage NOS tubes, simple designs and vinyl....

You would never look back....

Masterlu
01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
The X2000R that's an awesome machine. Which color silver or black?

Mine is black.

joeinid
01-25-2011, 02:26 AM
I only wish that you guys could hear a system based around vintage NOS tubes, simple designs and vinyl....

Having had a little "taste of heaven", I believe you. I can only imagine the possibilities.

Joe

Mack
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Mine is black.

Sweet
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tonepub
01-25-2011, 04:43 PM

I might have agreed until I got the Burmester stuff.....

But I still enjoy tubes in system two, and the ARC REF 2 adds that "little bit of tubiness..."

Puma Cat
01-28-2011, 03:29 AM

I listen to a system of that type every night....

Puma Cat
01-28-2011, 03:30 AM
I might have agreed until I got the Burmester stuff.....

But I still enjoy tubes in system two, and the ARC REF 2 adds that "little bit of tubiness..."

Agreed, the Burmester stuff is pretty dang wonderful.