PDA

View Full Version : Quick question ... How many times can you play a record before it's done ...

joeinid
01-21-2011, 01:49 AM
I've always wondered. Assuming a properly setup tt and everything. What's the approx. number of plays before sound deteriorates?

MC352
01-21-2011, 09:36 AM
I don't have the answer. but I think there are tons of variables in this equation.

These may be some of them -
How clean you keep your records
The type of stylus you use
The tracking force
Cleaning chemicals used
Type of record jackets used
How you store the records

:lurk:

f1 fan
01-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't have the answer. but I think there are tons of variables in this equation.

The tracking force
Cleaning chemicals used

Chuck...good points:thumbsup: I've got lp's that I've had for years and they still sound great.

Dave

BearCubinNY
01-21-2011, 01:09 PM
I've always wondered. Assuming a properly setup tt and everything. What's the approx. number of plays before sound deteriorates?

One, Two, Three...Three licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop! :D

Although each play slightly deteriorates the surface, we're talking very fine shades of grey even after many, many playings. I'd bet the number is higher than what a reasonable (non-DJ) user would ever encounter in his/her life. :rock-on:

Reg

jdandy
01-21-2011, 01:55 PM
You can dramactically extend record life by Last treating your vinyl. I have albums that are over 30 years old and still sound brand new with over 100 plays. Last treating vinyl is highly recommended.

Puma Cat
01-21-2011, 07:43 PM

You can play it a lot. Vinyl is very durable.

joeinid
01-21-2011, 09:04 PM
I'd like to thank everyone who posted. I had no idea that well cared for LP's were as durable as they are and could be played that many times. Maybe next year it's time for a taste of vinyl.
Reg, I'm not looking in the "rabbit hole" just yet!

Joe

Tonepub
01-21-2011, 10:14 PM
We're working on a long term test right now...

A few months and I should have a definitive answer!

Still-One
01-21-2011, 10:17 PM
I'd like to thank everyone who posted. I had no idea that well cared for LP's were as durable as they are and could be played that many times. Maybe next year it's time for a taste of vinyl.

Joe
Ain't no Rabbit Hole, think more like a Giant Sink Hole. :yes:

BearCubinNY
01-21-2011, 11:16 PM

Joe

We'll see what you have to say after you visit! :D

Reg

jdandy
01-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Reg.......Like they say, the first time's free. After that , it's gonna cost you. :yes:

joeinid
01-22-2011, 12:44 AM
We'll see what you have to say after you visit! :D

Reg

Oh no. I'm keeping my blinders on.

BearCubinNY
01-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Reg.......Like they say, the first time's free. After that , it's gonna cost you. :yes:

Dan, truer words have never been spoken! :yes:

Joe, you're trapped in like the vortex of a Worm Hole! Your Flu is raging right now! Sunday's visit will simply add a few degrees to your temperature. :D

Reg

prepress
01-22-2011, 07:35 AM

The tracking force
Cleaning chemicals used

Might the weight of the vinyl play into this? A 180-gram LP is perhaps sturdier than a 140-gram, and so on?

80B
01-22-2011, 09:09 AM
I got my dad's old LP collection a couple of years ago. From a scientific perspective, one empirical observation is that the ones that were used as frisbees at parties with the neighbors (as we kids slept upstairs in blissful ignorance) don't pass the snap-crackle-pop test. :D

BearCubinNY
01-22-2011, 09:22 AM
I got my dad's old LP collection a couple of years ago. From a scientific perspective, one empirical observation is that the ones that were used as frisbees at parties with the neighbors (as we kids slept upstairs in blissful ignorance) don't pass the snap-crackle-pop test. :D

Funny! I think there was some of that with my Father-in-law's collection as well. :D He was at a loss when he recently heard vinyl at my home. No sizzle :thumbsup:

I have bought quite a few used classical LP's that are quite old. The vast majority of them still sound wonderful. I think they were handled in a more careful way. :yes:

Reg

joeinid
01-22-2011, 10:31 AM

Joe, you're trapped in like the vortex of a Worm Hole! Your Flu is raging right now! Sunday's visit will simply add a few degrees to your temperature. :D

Reg

Hi Reg,

I'm looking forward to it. I just hope you don't ruin it for my system when I get back home. Ha!

Joe

Masterlu
01-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Reg

Joe, Be sure to dress appropriately!

http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/images/c.jpg

joeinid
01-22-2011, 11:13 AM
I have one of these outfits, I'll make sure to have it with me. With that headgear, Reg's stereo will sound like a Bose system. Then I won't feel so bad. :D

Joe, Be sure to dress appropriately!

http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/images/c.jpg

cmalak
01-22-2011, 11:16 AM
I have one of these outfits, I'll make sure to have it with me. With that headgear, Reg's stereo will sound like a Bose system. Then I won't feel so bad. :D

Joe...are you dissing Bose's "Waveguide technology?" :D

Masterlu
01-22-2011, 11:30 AM

:laughin:

joeinid
01-23-2011, 12:39 PM

Oh No! Not the technology, just the result :yes: Although I must confess, I had a pair of 901's for those college parties I can't remember. Thank goodness.

JDCheek
01-23-2011, 10:23 PM
I have heard that in the old days(pre 1980), that the well heeled classical audiophile societies would have parties for "the second playing of whatever" because it was believed that the second playing of an album was the best it would ever be.

While that theory might have held water then, I think that our care and cleaning standards make it somewhat antiquated.

two dot
01-23-2011, 10:27 PM
I have quiet a few original MONO pressings from the 50's and they sound GREAT!

Of course, I can't tell you how much they were played before acquired them. But, some look to have been "well played"