PDA

View Full Version : Pleasantly surprised with the MG-IIc

Mark J
01-15-2011, 08:01 PM
I now have three pair of Magneplanars in the house.

My main speakers are the IIIa and I recently picked up a set of new tweeters for a pair of 2.5/Rs that I have had for a few months. Hooked them up and enjoyed them for a while before returning the IIIas to the system while I put new socks on the 2.5s.

Well Chip picked up a pair of IIcs a couple years ago without testing them, He had just heard my IIIs and wanted some. So he buys a pair that have corroded wires throughout. I finally gave up waiting for Chip to visit and put a little sweat equity into his speakers, so I completed the rewire (both woofers and both tweeters) and these things sound really nice.

The sound seems to be very well balanced with good bass (it took me a while to find the right spot in the listening room for Magneplanars, but they are marked with tape and that is where all these speakers are set up) and a smooth sound from bottom to top. Very Coherent.

I haven't compared them to the 2.5/R, yet, but that may happen if I can get Chip to bring over the feet for his speakers and maybe the socks so I can complete this repair, do some listening and get them on their way.

But overall I was surprised how nice these sounded without a ribbon. Both my pairs have ribbons.

Bi-amped em today and their dynamics picked up nicely. Chip is going to be happy.

Until he finds out he doesn't have enough amplifier power!!

Tonepub
01-17-2011, 09:19 PM
MC 1.2KW's are the answer to light up the Magnepans! :)

Mark J
01-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Only if they are directly wired into some serious source of AC such as Hoover Dam.