PDA

View Full Version : To Mat or not to Mat?

Masterlu
12-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Do you use a Mat with your table? If so which one?

vintage_tube
12-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Fortunate not to have to worry about that tweek --none whatsoever.:thumbsup:

In previous tables I used several, the last was a ring mat (forgot the model --like a 330??) & eventually sold it. Never could find one that agreed with me, so to speak & so reverted to the mat that came w/the table.

Probably one of the hardest tweaks I've ever had to narrow down for that synergy thing. A lot to consider; height, material, composition, etc. What does CA recommend???

Bob

cmalak
12-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Ivan...I would follow what Clearaudio suggests. Or better yet, just call Garth Leerer at Musical Surroundings and he'll steer you right.

Masterlu
12-18-2010, 06:45 PM
If Garth didn't sell me one, I'm sure I don't need it. ;)

PHC1
12-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Depends on table/arm/cart of course but I found a carbon fiber mat by TT Weights enhanced dynamics on my Clearaudio table.

vintage_tube
12-18-2010, 06:50 PM
CA sells this version:

Vinyl Harmo-nicer

http://www.clearaudio.de/img/produkte/z_i_harmonicer_vor.jpg
Bob

Masterlu
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Depends on table/arm/cart of course but I found a carbon fiber mat by TT Weights enhanced dynamics on my Clearaudio table.

This one Serge?

TTCarbon Fibre Donut Mat 35 Gram (1.6 oz.) Light Weight/Self Stick (http://www.ttweights.com/catalog/item/6984386/7133217.htm)

PHC1
12-18-2010, 07:00 PM
This one Serge?

TTCarbon Fibre Donut Mat 35 Gram (1.6 oz.) Light Weight/Self Stick (http://www.ttweights.com/catalog/item/6984386/7133217.htm)

Ivan, I personally wouldn't do a stick on mat since I like to experiment a lot. I would also reach out to them to see which mat they recommend, it may be copper for your table..

Rilands
12-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Ivan,
I bought a cool psychedelic one off ebay. Old school I guess, felt I should have one to protect my vinyl and keep the LP from slipping. I honestly can't tell any difference on or off.

The place I bought it told me to "not" put a mat on it. I bought it at a hi-end mostly analog store. I think he probably knew what he was talking about. Oh well, the mat will remain on. I'm not always a good listener.

http://www.stereounlimited.com/Home.htm

Mike

Removed
12-18-2010, 07:05 PM
TT mats will be one of those YMMV things.......many use them and many do not, it all depends on what sonic flavor your after.

On the Clearaudio tables with acrylic platters many thought they lacked a touch of fullness or body.......This has been my findings too and always use a mat but now Clearaudio is slowly switching all the platters to Delrin on the new models, the Delrin platters seem to not have the lack of fullness that the acrylic platters had.

Masterlu
12-18-2010, 07:47 PM
TT mats will be one of those YMMV things.......many use them and many do not, it all depends on what sonic flavor your after.

On the Clearaudio tables with acrylic platters many thought they lacked a touch of fullness or body.......This has been my findings too and always use a mat but now Clearaudio is slowly switching all the platters to Delrin on the new models, the Delrin platters seem to not have the lack of fullness that the acrylic platters had.

Thanks Jeff

f1 fan
12-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Ivan...Jeff is right and there are many to choose from. For me it all depends on which platter I'm using at the time. Avoid at all costs the ones that are adhesive or gel like in material since they leave a residue on your precious vinyl.

Dave

Tonepub
12-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Also, remember to reset VTA to make up for the thickness of the mat. If not, the difference you hear will more than likely be the change in VTA...

When I had your table here, I used it with no mat with excellent results!

Puma Cat
12-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Neither my Gyro SE MKII or CA Concept use mats, and they sound great. IMHO, one of the reasons the new Concept sounds as good as it does is the Delrin platter.

My Rega Planar 3 definitely sounds the best with it's stock felt mat.

howiebrou
12-20-2010, 01:42 AM
I don't use a mat on my Avid Acutus. The screw down clamp holds the Lp nice and tight.

Mats are cheap Ivan. Give it a go. That's half the fun of vinyl :yes:

howie

JSCC
12-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Well, I used both these products from Harmonix Combak.

TUNING RECORD CLAMP and TUNING RECORD MATTE
Even the extraordinary advancements in digital sound reproduction of the last decade have not discouraged dedicated vinyl LP fans from continuing to seek the ultimate sound reproduction from analog sources. If anything, turntables produced today are more sophisticated, more reliable, and simpler to use than those of yesterday. These turntables, however sophisticated, must still overcome the main obstacle to producing maximum performance sound from the vinyl LP: the interference of resonance induced by turntable mechanisms employed in the tracking of the complex groves inscribed on the record surface.
Because better cartridges used in a record playing system will more faithfully reproduce source sound, these undesirable distortions caused by vinyl resonance will be heard. Conventional matte and clamp attempt to address this problem by simply pressing the LP down against the turntable in an effort to quiet such non-musical vibrations. While effective in some frequency ranges particularly the low frequencies in fact these clamps or, matte merely trade one set of resonance for another.
Enter the HARMONIX TU-800EXi (LP Record Matte) and or TU-812MK2 (Tuning Record Stabilizer Clamp). In its time-honored tradition, COMBAK has developed the TU-800EXi LP matte and TU-812MK2 clamp to deal effectively with all resonance of the LP and turntable by tuning the record platter assembly at a frequency outside the audio band. The results are astonishing-musical clarity is greatly increased, and the separation of musical instruments releases unprecedented depth of sound. An infinitely improved sense of reality and palpability make for the kind of sound experienced only during a live musical performance.
The HARMONIX TU-800EXi matte and TU-812MK2 clamp lends solidity to much expanded soundstage, making it not only an extremely worthwhile contribution, but a necessity, to the art of faithful and exquisite analog music reproduction.

TU-812MK2 Tuning Analog Record Clamp
New TU-812Mk2 tuning clam has been designed for sophisticated analog music listeners. Mark-2 lends solidity to much expanded and three-dimension soundstage that never ever experienced before, making it not only an extremely worthwhile contribution but a importantly necessity to the art of faithful and exquisite analog music reproduction.
Recommend to use together with TU-800EXi for the best result.

・ Weight: 235g (0.51 lbs)
・ Size: 85mmφ (3.34') 47mm (1.87') Height
・ Color: Glossy black

* DO NOT recommended to use with any absorbing materials placed under TU-812MK2 such as rubber matte will take away delicate musical nuances.

Tuning Record Matte TU-800EXi Improved Version

Tunes your record platter assembly at a frequency outside the audio band and eliminates the resonance which affects your sound. Improves balance and clarity, adds depth, and boosts information concentration across the entire sound range. Each instrument is clearly delineated and the naturalness of the tone is enhanced. The mat is lighter than ever before, and is now compatible with almost any turntable.

・ Width: 29.3cm (11.53')
・ Thickness: 3.0mm (0.117')
・ Weight: 210g (0.462 lbs)
・ Color: Black, gold, or silver