PDA

View Full Version : A Tuner In Your System?

Pages : [1] 2

jdandy
11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't know if it is because I am old enough to remember the days of underground FM radio in San Francisco back in the late 60's, but for me a sound system just doesn't seem complete without a good FM stereo tuner. In the late 60's and early 70's my sound system's tuner was tuned to one FM station or another almost as much as spinning vinyl or reel to reel. An FM tuner was a vital part of the sound system, and considered a great source. So it comes as no surprise that I still feel a quality tuner is an asset to a good sound system. Every system I have ever assemble has included a tuner. I have four tuners now.

How about you, is there a tuner in your sound system? Do you consider a tuner an important source component? What do you think?

Vintage Pete
11-22-2010, 08:58 PM
I have always had a tuner in my system, and always will. I believe, as you do Dan, that a tuner is an important, and very enjoyable sourse component.
I listen to my tuner FAR more than I do my CD's. Not that I consider it to be superior-of course it isn't-but it's just a matter of how often I find the time
to sit down for some serious listening. The FM tuner is nearly always playing in the background. The tuners I'm actively using now are all McIntosh-MR77,
MR78, MR80, and and MX117 Tuner preamp. They are all fine performers. I also have a Sansui TU-717 in storage.

Pete

jdandy
11-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Pete.......I have never known you to be speechless. Cat got your tongue, or did you fall asleep at the keyboard? :lmao:

Vintage Pete
11-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Pete.......I have never known you to be speechless. Cat got your tongue, or did you fall asleep at the keyboard? :lmao:

I guess I dozed for a second there, Dan.... :lmao:

Pete

Vintage Pete
11-22-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm presently listening to my MR80 (main system) and my MR78 (office system) simultaneously.

Pete

two dot
11-22-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't use a tuner in either one of my home systems... no decent local radio around here.

I do have a, recently purchased, CT-810 Yamaha in my office...

I too remember a great time in HI-FI when no system was complete without one.

Masterlu
11-22-2010, 09:10 PM
I am using them more now than ever. An MR85 & MR88 in Florida; and an MR88, MA6600 w/TM2 in the Cape.

Also looking seriously at Magnum-Dynalab! :yes:

Still-One
11-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Haven't had a tuner in any of my systems since the early 90's. I do not foresee anything changing that would make me want one.

Jim

bradleyc
11-22-2010, 09:23 PM
I've been listening to five or six local radio stations for decades, a couple of them since grade school in the early 70's. No way I'm buying a lot of classical, jazz or alternative music, it's easy enough to get a small fix from the air waves. Reception is pretty good around here in the flat lands. There are some decent new HD radio broadcasts in the area, too bad they dropped the 24-hour blues HD2 multi-cast. Those corporate radio mucky mucks replaced the blues with another pop forty mix :tears:

JFR0317
11-22-2010, 09:30 PM
I have an MR88 in my downstairs system, which means it can be accessed from a total of six zones. I feed its digital output to my MCD500 in the two MX120 zones.

We use it a lot.:thumbsup:

Pyro
11-22-2010, 09:30 PM
No tuner here.......:boring:

jdandy
11-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Pete.......Glad to see you back............awake. :laughin:

jdandy
11-22-2010, 10:01 PM
No tuner here.......:boring:

Rob.......I'm taking it you consider radio boring. Believe it or not, I understand how a person can come to this mind-set. There is a lot of crap on the airwaves, and the ever intrusive drone of advertising. There are the restricted play lists of Billboard's top 20 played over and over. Also, the general creative content of a great deal of new music is so void of genuine talent as to make what is heard more noise than music. I get it.

What keeps my interest in radio piqued is the remaining broadcast jewels that are still out there, still producing interesting programming, and broadcast extremely clean and uncompressed signals. One has to search for these broadcasts, and often they are easier to find at night time than during the day when eveyr other broadcaster's transmitters are cranked full tilt. After sunset the largest majority of radio stations are required to lower their broadcast power and some even have to alter the antenna patterns. It is during these hours between sunset and sunrise that many other stations, drowned out during the day, are able to come through, especially for those of us with high quality tuners and outside mounted antennas. I am a big fan of a jazz broadcast that only happens after 11:00pm broadcast from a PBS station over 50 miles from me. During the day I can barley tune the station, but at night it comes in sweet and clear.

Listening to radio for me is a bit of a passion, and is an additional hobby I enjoy. I also search the airwaves using shortwave, long-wave, and all band receivers, all with outside antennas. So DXing up and down the dial is a sport for me, and there are times when the rewards for the time and effort are remarkable. I often listen to an English speaking broadcast from China, and enjoy Radio Havana broadcast from Cuba. Radio is a blast.

Listening to a tuner can be great fun, but I also realize it can be boring, offensive, and irritating with so many cookie cutter formats that are pushed in our face by corporate broadcasters whose target is more advertising dollars. When the FCC lifted its ban on the maximum number of radio and television stations any one company could own, and corporations like Clear Channel and their like began purchasing every station they could get their greedy corporate claws into, the quality of programming, signal integrity, and the public interest went down the drain. Despite this, there are still privately held radio stations, and even some public radio stations that are programming for a discriminating audience, and broadcasting excellent signals. You just have to hunt for them. It's worth it.

JBT
11-22-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't know if it is because I am old enough to remember the days of underground FM radio in San Francisco back in the late 60's, but for me a sound system just doesn't seem complete without a good FM stereo tuner. In the late 60's and early 70's my sound system's tuner was tuned to one FM station or another almost as much as spinning vinyl or reel to reel. An FM tuner was a vital part of the sound system, and considered a great source. So it comes as no surprise that I still feel a quality tuner is an asset to a good sound system. Every system I have ever assemble has included a tuner. I have four tuners now.

How about you, is there a tuner in your sound system? Do you consider a tuner an important source component? What do you think?

I had a Magnum Dynalab 106 but retired it when I got Sonos. Just about every FM station out there streams its signal thus it can be played via Sonos. Hooked up to a good DAC Sonos puts out amazing sound.

Masterlu
11-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I have both my MR88 & Sonos connected via toslink to my MDA1000. It is effortless for me to tell the difference between them. The MR88 is quite awesome.

jdandy
11-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Ivan.......I agree. The MR88 is an amazing state of the art AM/FM/HD/XM tuner. The digital output is something I wanted to be able to use when I had the MR88, but had the Sonos and the MS750 occupying both my digital inputs on the MCD500. Everyone who has commented on using the MR88 through its digital output has had only praise for its performance.

Kal Rubinson
11-22-2010, 11:01 PM
I had a Magnum Dynalab 106 but retired it when I got Sonos. Just about every FM station out there streams its signal thus it can be played via Sonos. Hooked up to a good DAC Sonos puts out amazing sound.I have several tuners but have not used them in a long time. The problem is not their quality/performance but the lack of interesting local programming. Internet radio, despite its marginally decent quality, simply has so much more content to offer.

jdandy
11-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I have several tuners but have not used them in a long time. The problem is not their quality/performance but the lack of interesting local programming. Internet radio, despite its marginally decent quality, simply has so much more content to offer.

Kal.......I like seeing a tuner with the other gear in my rack. I like turning and feeling the weighted tuning knob and dialing in a station. I like the analog aspect of terrestrial radio. Tuners are like reel to reels to me. I consider them sexy to look at even if I'm not using them. For me, a system without a tuner is incomplete. That's just me.

Vintage Pete
11-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Kal.......I like seeing a tuner with the other gear in my rack. I like turning and feeling the weighted tuning knob and dialing in a station. I like the analog aspect of terrestrial radio. Tuners are like reel to reels to me. I consider them sexy to look at even if I'm not using them. For me, a system without a tuner is incomplete. That's just me.

That's me too Dan!!! :thumbsup: :yes:

Pete

Vintage Pete
11-22-2010, 11:43 PM
One of my babies.....

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/pmakres1/MR78%20Tuner%20Cleaning%20album%20050110/DSCF9204-Copy.jpg

Pete

Nodak
11-22-2010, 11:44 PM
I have always had a tuner with exterior antenna. Using an old Soundcraftsman AM/FM tuner from about 1987 it still works great.

Masterlu
11-22-2010, 11:47 PM
One of my babies.....

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/pmakres1/MR78%20Tuner%20Cleaning%20album%20050110/DSCF9204-Copy.jpg

Pete

That's a great looking baby Pete. :yes:

Vintage Pete
11-22-2010, 11:47 PM
That's a great looking baby Pete. :yes:

Thanks Ivan! :D

Pete

jdandy
11-22-2010, 11:52 PM
I have always had a tuner with exterior antenna. Using an old Soundcraftsman AM/FM tuner from about 1987 it still works great.

Curt.......I saw the Soundcraftsman tuner in one of your photos under the Nakamichi ZX-7. She's still making music after 23 years. That's a good thing. :thumbsup:

jdandy
11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Pete.......Every time I see that spectacular McIntosh MR78 tuner I become green with envy. :D

http://www.factzoo.com/sites/all/img/amphibians/red-eyed-green-tree-frog.jpg

Vintage Pete
11-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Pete.......Every time I see that spectacular McIntosh MR78 tuner I become green with envy. :D

http://cdn.financialsamurai.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/green-with-envy.jpg

:lmao: :lmao:

That's okay Dan...you'll be getting even shortly :yes:

Pete

Vintage Pete
11-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Curt....I'm a Soundcraftsmen man myself...I guess I have about 5 of their Equalizers.

Pete

Kal Rubinson
11-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Kal.......I like seeing a tuner with the other gear in my rack. I like turning and feeling the weighted tuning knob and dialing in a station. I like the analog aspect of terrestrial radio. Tuners are like reel to reels to me. I consider them sexy to look at even if I'm not using them. For me, a system without a tuner is incomplete. That's just me.Oh, I do agree with all that and my tuners are still on the racks and connected. I just have no real use for them.

I know some people are fortunate to have a local station that plays music that they like but I do not (anymore).

Vintage Pete
11-23-2010, 12:31 AM
I know some people are fortunate to have a local station that plays music that they like but I do not (anymore).

I guess I'm lucky in this respect. There are a few good stations in this area.

Pete

jdandy
11-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Pete.......Since you posted the MR78, I'm going to show off my MR74.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/McIntoshMR74.jpg

Vintage Pete
11-23-2010, 12:42 AM

Oh yes Dan, your MR74 is a beauty...and I've heard many good things about its performance. When I saw your MR74 in person I noted its spotless condition. I'd like to have one of these in my fleet, too. :yes:

jdandy
11-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Oh yes Dan, your MR74 is a beauty...and I've heard many good things about its performance. When I saw your MR74 in person I noted its spotless condition. I'd like to have one of these in my fleet, too. :yes:

Pete.......She's a beauty, and sounds very good. I like that the MR74 also tunes AM frequencies.

Vintage Pete
11-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Pete.......She's a beauty, and sounds very good. I like that the MR74 also tunes AM frequencies.

Yes, that it is an AM/FM tuner is also a plus...though my MX117 features AM.
However, I rarely use that system to play music or radio-mostly I use it with TV at night. It is a decent sounding system though...

Pete

Vintage Pete
11-23-2010, 12:49 AM
I don't even know where I'd put an MR74 but who cares? :dunno:

Pete

prepress
11-23-2010, 06:28 AM
i have a Magnum Dynalab MD90 in my system, which recently replaced a Denon TU-800. The Denon is a very good tuner, even by today's standards (I've had it since 1989), and a former Stereophile Class B component, but the MD90 sounds better. I do give up AM, but so far haven't missed it, as I have other AM sources in the apartment.

AudioNut
11-23-2010, 09:00 AM
I have four tuners sitting, unused, on a rack in a storage room, I have a 5th, a McIntosh MR78 that I had updated by Richard Modafferi, also sitting unused (but in a safer place - under the bed).

I don't guess I've hooked-up a tuner in 10 years. Should I consider doing so?

Vintage Pete
11-23-2010, 10:06 AM
I have four tuners sitting, unused, on a rack in a storage room, I have a 5th, a McIntosh MR78 that I had updated by Richard Modafferi, also sitting unused (but in a safer place - under the bed).

I don't guess I've hooked-up a tuner in 10 years. Should I consider doing so?

Why, of course you should! :yes:

Pete

W9TR
11-23-2010, 10:18 AM
I think I'm blessed - here in Minneapolis we have three stations that sound really good - the Minnesota Public Radio classical outlet KSJN, the MPR contemporary outlet, KCMP, and the Minneapolis School district's Jazz station KBEM. All sound excellent on my McIntosh MR-77. At our lake house 100 miles from the city, we have a MAC 4300V that sounds just as good. "A Prarie Home Companion" live broadcasts sound absolutely fantastic!

Tom

Kal Rubinson
11-23-2010, 01:17 PM
I guess I'm lucky in this respect. There are a few good stations in this area.I guess it is because I live in such a small town.:fishing:

Nodak
11-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Curt.......I saw the Soundcraftsman tuner in one of your photos under the Nakamichi ZX-7. She's still making music after 23 years. That's a good thing. :thumbsup:

I have an old McIntosh tuner in storage in my basement, I think it's an MR-64 but I may be remembering wrong. I bought it used in 1971 and used it until the Soundcraftsman. The Mc developed problems and McIntosh could not repair it. It came back from the factory looking like new though. It's so old the multiplexer is a sub chassis.

Vintage Pete
11-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Another of my tuner fleet...my McIntosh MR77.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/pmakres1/DSCF9136.jpg

Pete

jdandy
11-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Pete.......You just can't beat the way a vintage McIntosh tuner looks in the dark. The MR77 is beautiful. I like the multipath indicater being the "magic eye" tube instead of a meter like the MR78.

Vintage Pete
11-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Pete.......You just can't beat the way a vintage McIntosh tuner looks in the dark. The MR77 is beautiful. I like the multipath indicater being the "magic eye" tube instead of a meter like the MR78.

Yeah, I like the "eye" indicator too...:yes:

Pete

W9TR
11-26-2010, 02:47 AM
What a beautiful MR-77! I love mine. It isn't as beautiful as yours, Pete. Awesome pic!

mjcmt
03-18-2011, 05:21 PM
I have always had a tuner in my system, and always will. I believe, as you do Dan, that a tuner is an important, and very enjoyable sourse component.
I listen to my tuner FAR more than I do my CD's.

I whole heartedly agree. My favorite has been the Sansui AU717 which I should not have sold.

jdandy
03-18-2011, 06:25 PM
I whole heartedly agree. My favorite has been the Sansui AU717 which I should not have sold.

mjcmt.......Did you mean the Sansui TU-717? The Sansui AU-717 is an integrated amplifier. This is the Sansui TU-717 tuner.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/713588/TU-717B.jpg

Vintage Pete
03-18-2011, 09:21 PM
mjcmt.......Did you mean the Sansui TU-717? The Sansui AU-717 is an integrated amplifier. This is the Sansui TU-717 tuner.

http://www.classicsansui.net/images/Sansui%20TU-717.jpg

I have one of these Tuners in storage Dan...it is a fine tuner that performed well for me for many years.

Pete

jdandy
03-18-2011, 10:19 PM
I have one of these Tuners in storage Dan...it is a fine tuner that performed well for me for many years.

Pete.......Wow, you've been withholding information. What other tuners do you have stashed away?

Vintage Pete
03-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Pete.......Wow, you've been withholding information. What other tuners do you have stashed away?

That's the only one, Dan....honest! :D

Pete

jdandy
03-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Pete.......Counting the three tuners that are parts of receivers I own, added to the seperate tuners, I have a total of six AM/FM stereo tuners.

You ought to pull that Sansui TU-717 out of mothballs.

djwhog
03-18-2011, 11:26 PM
I have a Carver tx11a that is the top of their line in the day, was rated very well, but out here in WY we have like 3 stations, so I packed it up for safe keeping. Even have a terk signal booster too:)

Vintage Pete
03-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Pete.......Counting the three tuners that are parts of receivers I own, added to the seperate tuners, I have a total of six AM/FM stereo tuners.

I guess if you count my McIntosh MX117 Tuner/Preamp and my Sansui TU-717, I have a total of five tuners, 3 FM only and two AM/FM.

Pete......You ought to pull that Sansui TU-717 out of mothballs.

And put it where? :dunno:

Pete

Vintage Pete
03-18-2011, 11:58 PM
I have a Carver tx11a that is the top of their line in the day, was rated very well, but out here in WY we have like 3 stations, so I packed it up for safe keeping. Even have a terk signal booster too:)

djwhog....I remember the Carver TX-11 Tuner well, it came as part of a long line of interesting Carver products in the early 1980's. I was tempted to buy one at the time but never pulled the trigger. During those days I was using my Sansui TU-717.

Pete

bradleyc
03-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7's from Analog Tubes arrived Thursday, so this morning it was time to roll out the Sovtek's that came with my MD-108 tuner and fire up the GL's. After only a couple hours of listening time, this has already become one of my favorite tweaks ever. Right away there's a whole new level of depth, openness and clarity, as if a window has been opened into the music. The FM air waves have never sounded this good to me, long live analog FM :thumbsup:

djwhog
03-19-2011, 12:19 PM
djwhog....I remember the Carver TX-11 Tuner well, it came as part of a long line of interesting Carver products in the early 1980's. I was tempted to buy one at the time but never pulled the trigger. During those days I was using my Sansui TU-717.

Pete

Pete do you recall the ol 9090 Sansui and Technichs made a 330 watt per ch receiver with dual power supply's, it was like over 2k back in the 80s. I had one and enjoyed it for years after I sold a kenwood I purchased as a tene, man it was hug a whole 60 watts a ch, I was the king on the block, most were lucky to have 25 watts... funny huh..

here is a link to the best of them in the day for receivers.
http://www.arichinnerlife.com/2010/10/10/monster-receivers/

I had a Pioneer 100 watt, then upgraded to a Yamaha, but returned it to Federated in a week and went with the Technichs unit.
http://www.vintagetechnics.info/receivers/sa1000.htm
Was a beast for what it was, my buddy Doug I sold it to still has it and it works fine:)

Vintage Pete
03-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Pete do you recall the ol 9090 Sansui and Technichs made a 330 watt per ch receiver with dual power supply's, it was like over 2k back in the 80s. I had one and enjoyed it for years after I sold a kenwood I purchased as a tene, man it was hug a whole 60 watts a ch, I was the king on the block, most were lucky to have 25 watts... funny huh..

Oh yes, I well remember the monster receivers of the late 70's and early eighties. There were some real beauties on the market.

Lets not forget the Pioneer SX-1280 and the Marantz 2325....

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/pmakres1/PioneerSX-1280.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/pmakres1/Marantz2325.jpg

Pete

mjcmt
03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
mjcmt.......Did you mean the Sansui TU-717? The Sansui AU-717 is an integrated amplifier.
Sorry typed the wrong prefex while in a hurry. :D
Yes the TU717 has amazing sound.

Dj_AmTraX
03-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Pete, that Marantz is pretty.

Vintage Pete
03-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Pete, that Marantz is pretty.

Isn't it though! :yes:

Pete

MC352
03-20-2011, 09:08 PM
I have my new to me, MR78 that I really love, and I have one of those inexpensive Sony HD tuners. I had the Sony modified, and it actually works really well.

I also have a Yamaha Tuner, I haven't used in years.

Everything takes a backseat to my MR78 at the moment. :D

Vintage Pete
03-20-2011, 09:13 PM
I have my new to me, MR78 that I really love, and I have one of those inexpensive Sony HD tuners. I had the Sony modified, and it actually works really well.

I also have a Yamaha Tuner, I haven't used in years.

Chuck...I've no doubt you are enjoying your MR78, as I'm sure you will for many years to come. :yes: :thumbsup:

Pete

jdandy
03-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Chuck.......You've got that right. The older analog air capacitive tuning McIntosh tuners are wonderful performers. I find my MR74 more musical sounding when playing the same station as my MR85. Both are great tuners, but the MR74 gets the gold medal around my home.

Vintage Pete
03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Chuck.......You've got that right. The older analog air capacitive tuning McIntosh tuners are wonderful performers. I find my MR74 more musical sounding when playing the same station as my MR85. Both are great tuners, but the MR74 gets the gold medal around my home.

I know what you are saying Dan...I love both my MR77 and MR78 tuners. But I do have to say that the MR80, which McIntosh called "digital" (and does have a digital display and four station presets) is also a superb tuner. (It was also quiet expensive for that era-made from 1979 to 1985 and was priced at $2500). If I had to keep only one of my McIntosh tuners, I'd have a very tough time deciding-especially between the MR78 and MR80. I'd never planned on leaving the MR80 in my main system instead of the MR78-but when I installed it "temporarily" when I first got it in 2003, I liked its sound so much I had to leave it there. I don't know how McIntosh pulled it off, but they pulled it off with the MR80, IMO. I don't know how the MR80 would stack up against the MR85, but I do know I love the MR80's sound. I've heard many good things about the MR74 as well-and one day I WILL have one in my collection.

I guess if it really, REALLY came down to it, and I had to keep just one tuner, I guess I'd have to go with the MR78. But it would be a very tough choice....

Pete

jdandy
03-20-2011, 10:32 PM
I guess if it really, REALLY came down to it, and I had to keep just one tuner, I guess I'd have to go with the MR78. But it would be a very tough choice....

Pete.......Hopefully you will never have to make that choice.

Vintage Pete
03-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Pete.......Hopefully you will never have to make that choice.

No Dan, I'd sell my car first.....:D

Pete

jdandy
03-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Pete.......I believe it!

Dj_AmTraX
03-20-2011, 11:16 PM
I have a MR73, but I don't listen to radio so it's just to look at.

Face
03-21-2011, 08:48 AM
I had a Modafferi modded MX-115 for a while. Even though the tuner section was excellent, I rarely used it.

Formerly YB-2
03-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Indeed............. MR80 refurb'd by Terry DeWick. Sounds great. Also, just like the MR80, a fully recapped Sony ST-J75 and three Yamaha tuners, the CT-7000, T-85 and TX-1000.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/9941d1300759909-tuner-your-system-dscn3275.jpg

Vintage Pete
03-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Indeed............. MR80 refurb'd by Terry DeWick. Sounds great. Also, just like the MR80, a fully recapped Sony ST-J75 and three Yamaha tuners, the CT-7000, T-85 and TX-1000.

Nice pic....I love my MR80! :yes:

Pete

jdandy
03-21-2011, 10:40 PM

Glenn.......Oh, Yeah! Very nice looking MR80. :thumbsup:

Let me know if you ever decide to part with that one. :)

http://audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/9941d1300759909-tuner-your-system-dscn3275.jpg

Formerly YB-2
03-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Thank you. Parting with same will be a while, I'm afraid.

chops-tube
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
I have a Yamaha TX-540 that I used for a couple of years, but since I moved to St Pete, I started using it less and less to the point of packing it away in the closet. The stations around here somewhat stink. Most of the stations bite, there's usually more commercials than music, and what songs that are played, get played several times a day on the same station.

I mainly listen to 101.5 in the car since that seems to be the only decent station around here anymore. I used to listen to 89.7 all the time until they moved their music over to their new HD station, and I don't have an HD tuner.

Now I have simply run out of room on my rack for it! LOL

Vintage Pete
04-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Thank you. Parting with same will be a while, I'm afraid.

Glenn....I share your sentiments. I really like my MR80, and wouldn't dream of parting with it. :no: The MR80 does have a few little quirks, but they are minor and well worth putting up with for the sound it provides. It's a nice looking tuner too. I love it.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/pmakres1/DSCF9140.jpg

Pete

jimtranr
05-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Way back when I lived in the SF Bay Area, I had an MR67 tuned regularly to the likes of KKHI, KDFC, and James Gabbert's K101 (which, on occasion, did quad broadcasts with KDFC). In what was probably one of the most boneheaded moves (among many) of my life I sold the 67 and did without serious FM listening until I picked up an on-sale Kyocera 910 (tuned most often to KJAZ) in the '80's. Gave that to my oldest when I moved to Corvallis in 1991. A couple of months ago, I picked up a demo Marantz ST6000 for the heck of it (the price was just too good to pass up) when a local dealer decided to retire. Got decent enough reception with an indoor dipole to listen to two stations (one classical, the other a community college station with good jazz and world music programming) out of Eugene 40 miles away, and now find myself listening about as much to FM as I do to my vinyl and digital.

The upshot is that a Winegard and a rotor are going up on the roof and a Mac MR77 will arrive this coming week. I guess I'm back in for the long haul.

jdandy
05-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Jim.......I have always had a tuner in my sound system. Back in the late 60's I lived in San Francisco. In those days I had a little Dynaco FM-3 that stayed tuned to KSAN.

jimtranr
05-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Jim.......I have always had a tuner in my sound system. Back in the late 60's I live in San Francisco. In those days I had a little Dynaco FM-3 that stayed tuned to KSAN.

Dan, if memory serves, KSAN was the successor to KSFR, which was largely classical. Quite a shift in programming.

I see you're now in central Florida. I spent the '61'-'62 academic year in Gainesville doing grad work at UF.

Niles
01-25-2013, 09:23 AM
I have a Magnum Dynalab MD90 in my system. I use it more than any other source.

Very nice sound.

jdandy
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Niles.......The Magnum Dynalab tuners have always been well respected. The MD90 is a sweet tuner.

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/images/fmtuner-md90-large.jpg

Formerly YB-2
02-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Recently picked up an Accuphase T-106. Is easily the best sounding tuner I've had in my system and I've probably owned 40 of them over the years. Bone stock, but I'll be recapping the power supply at some point. Would be nice if I could afford that T-108 that's currently listed on Audiogon. Am sure it is superb, to say nothing of the T-1100 that's also listed.
http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24298&stc=1&d=1360120981

W9TR
02-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Glenn,
That's a beauty for sure. It will outperform pretty much anything out there, too.

jdandy
02-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Glenn.......Your Accuphase T-106 is a beauty. Those end caps on the face plate look like McIntosh.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/24298d1360120981-tuner-your-system-t-106.jpg

Formerly YB-2
02-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks, Dan. Think the T-106 is one of the last models to have the end caps like that. Subsequent models are similar to the current models. Guess Accuphase finally got enough self-confidence to move away from being the 'Japanese McIntosh'. End caps or no, is a terrific sounding tuner.

jdandy
02-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks, Dan. Think the T-106 is one of the last models to have the end caps like that. Subsequent models are similar to the current models. Guess Accuphase finally got enough self-confidence to move away from being the 'Japanese McIntosh'. End caps or no, is a terrific sounding tuner.

Glenn.......Your Accuphase T-106 is a beauty. Don't forget to update your signature.

Formerly YB-2
02-11-2013, 01:36 AM
Indeed........ thanks for the reminder.
Just rotated the recapped and aligned Yamaha T-85 back into the system. Not sure that it doesn't have a better synergy with the Bryston system then does the Accuphase, which worked better in the McIntosh system. Will have to do some serious A/B'g, though don't think either is going anywhere. That's a recapped & aligned Sony ST-J75 sitting on the T-85, which is in the same league as the Accuphase & Yamaha.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24487&stc=1&d=1360560926

JSCC
02-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Well, how about the Meridian 504 Tuner?

Owned a used piece ... and its sure one great tuner. Cheap and good! :thumbsup:

Nice unclustered front with glass panel on the top cover!

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/24752d1361204084-tuner-your-system-meridian-504-tuner-front.jpg

jdandy
02-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Jerry.......You are right. The Meridian 504 is a very clean looking tuner. Understated elegance.

kappclark
02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Yamaha T-80 here is Windham, VT .. no mods, and good outdoor antenns

FM= Free Music, and tuners/receivers have been with me since I bought an HH Scott 30 watt receiver back in 1966

Maks
03-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Catching up on 2 months of travel expenses, sipping a bourbon and listening to my MR88 :music:

jdandy
03-27-2013, 12:51 AM
Catching up on 2 months of travel expenses, sipping a bourbon and listening to my MR88 :music:

Steve.......Long live terrestrial tuners. :yes:

Washline
03-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Has anyone heard the new Magnum Dynalab internet radio tuners?

Eisener Bart
03-27-2013, 08:09 AM

I use vintage Sansui TU-7700 for background only and only with 1 FM station.

http://f14.ifotki.info/org/f5aec875fb41b0fe96dbb7dad18f67b55fd724146809827.jp g (http://ifotki.info/)

DonBattles
03-27-2013, 08:48 AM

The thing is, for me, radio isn't what it used to be. And when I do listen its usually AM talk radio.

JGM411
03-27-2013, 09:05 AM
With internet radio stations streaming online, why would I want to buy a tuner?

I listen to TuneIn and get every station I desire.

Has tuners lost their significance?

jdandy
03-27-2013, 02:33 PM

I listen to TuneIn and get every station I desire.

Has tuners lost their significance?

Joe.......Internet streaming is OK if you don't mind Mp3 quality music. Sure, streaming Internet radio offers access to a plethora of stations unavailable to terrestrial tuners and that is a real plus if you enjoy listening to distant stations from around the country and globe. I listen to Internet radio when I wish to tune a station in San Francisco or Seattle from my home in Florida. It can be quite enjoyable.

The pleasure of listening to a quality terrestrial tuner comes when you have a station within your tuner's sensitivity range that is broadcasting music you enjoy with a clean signal. There are any number of FM stations around the country that have a new focus on a quality signal with a frequency range that delivers 30Hz to 15kHz with very good dynamic range. All three of my McIntosh tuners pull in a number of stations I enjoy with excellent signal quality. One station I love plays late night jazz from both analog records and digital recordings and it sounds fabulous. Internet radio cannot touch it.

At any rate, it's all about your particular interests and listening habits. I get great joy from listening to my FM, AM, shortwave, and long wave world band tuners. A terrestrial tuner has always been a part of every sound system I ever assembled and always will be. The pleasure is all mine.

JGM411
03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
thanks Dan.....

jdandy
03-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Joe.......For me, a tuner is another quality source component. Good FM signals are fun to listen to and deliver content I consider to be like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. :D

Maks
03-27-2013, 04:36 PM
iTunes exists, so why do you have a turntable?

To me there are several reasons I own a tuner. First and foremost is quality of the broadcast, I know there are some lossless streams these days for Internet radio, but the majority are at varying bitrates with lossy encoders. No match for an over the air signal. There is also an element of excitement and interaction with a tuner for me that cannot be matched with Internet stations. I'm picking up something transmitted over the air into my room after a spin of the dial. Internet radio vs a tuner is like an mp3 vs an LP for me. The only Internet station I listen to regularly is an AM station in Canada that I can't pick up during the day in Chicago. There is a lot of great content out there on the Internet for streaming, but to me it's just not as good as what I can pick up on my tuner. However, in certain markets, I can understand why some people wouldn't get anything out of terrestrial radio.

Vintage Pete
03-27-2013, 05:30 PM
I use vintage Sansui TU-7700 for background only and only with 1 FM station.

http://f14.ifotki.info/org/f5aec875fb41b0fe96dbb7dad18f67b55fd724146809827.jp g (http://ifotki.info/)

Sergio...Very nice vintage Sansui tuner! I have a Sunsui TU-717 in storage that I used for about 15 years. Your TU-7700 looks really sweet. :yes:

Pete

Don C
03-27-2013, 05:35 PM
(new guy here)

I've gone back and forth on this, too. For a while I decided that radio broadcast was not "audiophile" enough and sold all the tuners I had. Eventually I got tired of listening to baseball games on a transistor radio while up in the "Music Library" and finally got one, inexpensive tuner (Sansui TU-717) for the main system.

bdowell
03-27-2013, 05:44 PM
What do you use for an antanae?

jdandy
03-27-2013, 06:12 PM
bdowell.......I use external mounted antennas. I have a separate Fanfare FM-2 for my McIntosh MR85 tuner, plus a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 for my McIntosh MR88 tuner.

MyPal
06-09-2013, 12:08 PM
McIntosh have a history of beautiful tuners...

Pete...your MR78 is a beauty....one of the last truly analogue tuners. Everything today out there appears to have ADC DSP filtering.

Initially, I was interested in the MR88 but it is largely incompatible in Australia & McIntosh have no plans for regionalising it with DAB+ on the digital side. Needless to say that the quality of DAB+ implemented by commercial radio so far has been underwhelming.

I think I would be happy with a MR78, the last of the great Richard Modafferi SS designs.

My challenge is to find a mint MR71 that has been service & modded by the man himself.

But....the famous Marantz 10B has also grabbed my attention. Anyone here with a 10b & are there any traps to owning one eg. Alignment issues?

tweet
06-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Pete...your MR78 is a beauty....

:yes:

Vintage Pete
06-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Steve....I'm honored that you chose my photo. I too have a penchant for the Marantz 10B (and a variety of other vintage Marantz gear).

There are currently four Marantz 10B's listed on eBay, including one listed as part of a system. The prices are all over the place. There is also a Sequerra Model 1 FM tuner listed, current bid is at $2,254 with 1 day and 8 hours left.

Classic stuff...I like the MR71 as well and wouldn't mind having one at all.

Pete

MyPal
06-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Pete...I saw the Sequerra. Makes me want a 10B more. I just love the scopes in some of these vintage classics!

Yep, that vintage Marantz system looks pretty special & the seller is commanding it.

If you can justify having many great tuners, I think then I could justify having at least 2. :D

william13
06-09-2013, 01:59 PM

If I had that on my team it would not be sitting on the bench.

jdandy
06-09-2013, 02:59 PM
If I had that on my team it would not be sitting on the bench.

Bill.......The McIntosh MR74 is in service in my Vintage system. That photo was taken right after I completed a total disassembly and cleaning of the front panel glass, the tuning log glass, and the interior of the chassis.

I have a new tuner that I bought about a month ago. It is a Tandberg 3011A FM tuner. It is lovely and sounds very rich and full. It mates perfectly with my Tandberg 3008A preamplifier and 3026A power amplifier. These three Tandberg components make a sweet sounding system. I am waiting on new Wireworld speaker cables to put the Tandberg system in service. I'll post a photo of the new Tandberg 3011A tuner soon.

Vintage Pete
06-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Dan....there you go, getting me lusting for your MR74 again! :drool:

Pete

jdandy
06-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Here's my most recent tuner purchase, a Tandberg 3011A.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5323/9002178303_9c447ffd8b_c.jpg

MyPal
06-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Dan...Cool! I don't know much about the 3011A, only that Tandberg have a reputation for making fine tuners. What makes the Tandberg desirable to you?

Aaah....I just found the answer on the other thread. http://www.audioaficionado.org/tuners/21552-tandberg-3011a-tuner.html#post500921

Maks
06-09-2013, 11:30 PM
I've been doing a lot of tuner listening the last week and a half or so. Weather conditions have been great so the fringe jazz/blues station I listen to has actually come in steadily in HD and I found a few low power college stations I haven't heard before.

W9TR
06-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Dan,
Wow, what a beautiful tuna! I like the calibrated signal strength meter and center tuning meter. Very nice, very Euro. Europe is a tough FM RF environment, so you know Tandberg builds them to perform in tough conditions. Awesome!

Steve a and Pete,
As beautiful as the 10B is, and believe me I love it, it is not a modern contender. This is true of a lot of our beloved tube tuners. The 10b doesn't have any post detection filters and so is very susceptible to HD radio self noise. So if you are buying for the cool factor, that's awesome. But the 10B and other tube tuners will have trouble with even the analog signals of a station broadcasting HD. Sad, but true. Pete, your MR80 will run rings around it.
Tom

jdandy
06-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Dan,
Wow, what a beautiful tuna! I like the calibrated signal strength meter and center tuning meter. Very nice, very Euro. Europe is a tough FM RF environment, so you know Tandberg builds them to perform in tough conditions. Awesome!

Tom.......Thank you. The 3011A is turning out to be an impressive tuner. It has a servo controller AFC circuit that helps keep the tuner on the center of a stereo channel. The moment you touch the tuning knob the servo light goes out and AFC is turned off while you manually tune a station. Once you release the tuning knob the servo circuit turns on the AFC again and the servo light is once again illuminated. The sound quality is very good. I like the looks of the entire Tandberg stack with the tuner on top.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/8999860411_6f59730244_c.jpg

MyPal
06-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Dan,

Steve a and Pete,
As beautiful as the 10B is, and believe me I love it, it is not a modern contender. This is true of a lot of our beloved tube tuners. The 10b doesn't have any post detection filters and so is very susceptible to HD radio self noise. So if you are buying for the cool factor, that's awesome. But the 10B and other tube tuners will have trouble with even the analog signals of a station broadcasting HD. Sad, but true. Pete, your MR80 will run rings around it.
Tom

Tom...Thanks. I've decided to steer clear of the 10B. It is high maintenance & much more difficult to realign. Given that I don't already have Marantz in my equipment line-up, the super premium prices commanded by Marantz die hard fans for vintage gear is over the top for me. For the price of a M- 10B, I could buy a new Accuphase T-1100!

Now, the MR71 has cool factor for me. A much lower redbook than the 10B, but I'm prepared to pay a premium because I already have the rack of mac.

Now if I were to (also) consider a modern contender excluding the MR88 because it is not available for the Australian market, what should it be?

MR87 is available & tweaked for Australia. Given that this is a DSP post processing tuner, the best way I surmise would be to hook it up is via TOSLINK. Quite a bit of this package must be dedicated to it's balanced analog outputs....So then how good is it's DAC because I'm guessing it does not have ADC DSP bypass for true analog output?

How does the MR78 stack up against the MR87?

Maks
06-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Now if I were to (also) consider a modern contender excluding the MR88 because it is not available for the Australian market, what should it be?

MR87 is available & tweaked for Australia. Given that this is a DSP post processing tuner, the best way I surmise would be to hook it up is via TOSLINK. Quite a bit of this package must be dedicated to it's balanced analog outputs....So then how good is it's DAC because I'm guessing it does not have ADC DSP bypass for true analog output?

How does the MR78 stack up against the MR87?
I was told by Ron at McIntosh that the tuner chip outputs an analog signal and this is the "best" signal to use from an MR88. He said if you use the digital outputs you are going through an ADC, then obviously your outboard DAC. However, many people have reported "better" sound through the digital out. Personally I haven't experimented yet, I'm still using the balanced outs into my C2300.

W9TR
06-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Steve,
The comments I made about HD self noise may not apply to Australia since HD radio has not been deployed there, AFAIK. So the MR-71 would make a fine choice if you want a tube tuner. As you move forward in time, the MR74, MR77, and MR78 are great analog tuners that all have their fans. All of them are great lookers. The MR80 is a sleeper, an analog tuner with a digital frequency readout that far outperforms my restored MR77 in every way. So I'm a fan of the 80. After that you get into the more modern module-based tuners like the MR85 and MR 87/88. If choosing beteweeen the two, the 87/88 would get my nod as the more modern design.
Tom

Hifisand
07-04-2013, 01:03 AM
All,
I have had 1 tuner in my system over the years, the Yamaha CT 7000. Bought new when it first came out. Have no reason to change. No good stations for classical music anymore. It is my country music mute while I change records.
Dave

jdandy
07-04-2013, 01:55 PM
All,
I have had 1 tuner in my system over the years, the Yamaha CT 7000. Bought new when it first came out. Have no reason to change. No good stations for classical music anymore. It is my country music mute while I change records.

Dave.......The Yamaha CT-7000 is a beauty. It looks good in Silver or black.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/CT-7000.jpg

http://www.audioscope.net/images/yamahact7000s1.jpg

http://www.roggeware.nl/images/yamaha-ct7000.jpg

Vintage Pete
07-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Nice! :thumbsup: :yes:

I think I'm partial to the black version.

Pete

bostown
07-10-2013, 01:04 AM
Got a few tuners that I use from time to time:

Magnum Dynalab MD 108

Accuphase T100

Accuphase T101 ( going away soon though)

jdandy
07-10-2013, 11:43 AM
bostown.......You have a nice collection of very fine tuners. The Magnum Dynalab MD108 is one of the best available and one I have admired for years.

http://www.praha-prosek.cz/wp-content/uploads/awpcp/1327000103_0.jpg

OldTex
07-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Has anyone tried XM radio through their MR88? Somewhere I picked up one of those little Sansui XM decks but have never had it turned on.

My only experience with XM is with an antenna wired into the GPS on my Harley that feeds a pair of Shure SE 535 earphones. I don't care what the safety guys say, you can't go cruising without some tunes.

Vintage Pete
07-18-2013, 06:24 PM
bostown.......You have a nice collection of very fine tuners. The Magnum Dynalab MD108 is one of the best available and one I have admired for years.

http://www.praha-prosek.cz/wp-content/uploads/awpcp/1327000103_0.jpg

Interesting looking Tuner! :yes:

Pete

jdandy
07-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Pete.......I have always admired Magnum Dynalab tuners, particularly the MD108. I think the main reason I have never purchased one is due to my commitment to McIntosh systems which always include a McIntosh tuner.

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/173492-magnum_dynalab_md108_fm_tuner_see_photo.jpg

NOLG4EVR
07-18-2013, 06:57 PM
I have the Magnum Dynalab MD 107 in black. It is the level below the 108 but still is an amazing tuner. Looks good with the blue meters on as well.

Vintage Pete
07-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Pete.......I have always admired Magnum Dynalab tuners, particularly the MD108. I think the main reason I have never purchased one is due to my commitment to McIntosh systems which always include a McIntosh tuner.

Dan...Yes you and I are woven of the same cloth there, as you know. It's tough to break that committment....

BTW I meant to mention to you when we spoke a few days ago-that Sequerra Model One tuner that was recently listed on the bay sold for $3,333.00.

Pete

Maks
07-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Has anyone tried XM radio through their MR88? Somewhere I picked up one of those little Sansui XM decks but have never had it turned on.

My only experience with XM is with an antenna wired into the GPS on my Harley that feeds a pair of Shure SE 535 earphones. I don't care what the safety guys say, you can't go cruising without some tunes.
I use XM through my MR88, it's as good as XM will ever sound. Some of the stations sound really poor due to high compression, but there are many that are very listenable. XM is a cheap investment to get a lot of variety IMO.

skydog
08-17-2013, 09:46 AM
This is my second unit, having had one 15-years or so ago. Never had a proper antenna until recently and decided purchase another due to its sound quality. Wow.....for $150.00 used this puts a hell of a lot of high-end tuners to shame. It's in perfect shape as well. I used to have a Mcintosh MR-77 a while back and while it was a great tuner, I never really listened to much else but cd's at the time. But this tuner sounds every bit as good, if not better than the Mac. I got tired of poor reception with the indoor antennas and decided to install a rooftop Yagi......it is very windy where I live and thankfully my attic is big enough and decided to mount it there,,,,all 8-feet of it! I do also have a Winegard preamp which really helps with the cable run. Even with the loss of signal power in the attic (a supposed 30-40%) it pulls in stations with ease, even WEGW (a great Rock station by the way) out of West Virginia ( I live in Pittsburgh) which is about 50-miles or so from me and a not too powerful of a station. Don't overlook this Gem for the used market asking price.

regards,

Tom

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/28684d1376747108-tuner-your-system-img_1283.jpg

Yamaki
08-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Definitely have tuners as a part of all my systems. The local FM market is wide and varied so I listen to "the radio" a lot.

Yamaha CR-620 in the garage/shop

MR77 in the 2-channel room

Integra DHC 40.1 pre/pro/tuner in the main room

Sony AVR on the patio.

Always got that music going!

jdandy
08-17-2013, 01:37 PM
This is my second unit, having had one 15-years or so ago. Never had a proper antenna until recently and decided purchase another due to its sound quality. Wow.....for $150.00 used this puts a hell of a lot of high-end tuners to shame. It's in perfect shape as well. I used to have a Mcintosh MR-77 a while back and while it was a great tuner, I never really listened to much else but cd's at the time. But this tuner sounds every bit as good, if not better than the Mac. I got tired of poor reception with the indoor antennas and decided to install a rooftop Yagi......it is very windy where I live and thankfully my attic is big enough and decided to mount it there,,,,all 8-feet of it! I do also have a Winegard preamp which really helps with the cable run. Even with the loss of signal power in the attic (a supposed 30-40%) it pulls in stations with ease, even WEGW (a great Rock station by the way) out of West Virginia ( I live in Pittsburgh) which is about 50-miles or so from me and a not too powerful of a station. Don't overlook this Gem for the used market asking price.

regards,

Tom

Tom.......You are right about the Sony 730ES AM/FM Stereo Tuner. That is one of the best tuners Sony every produced. I owned the 730ES for years and loved it. I sold it last year because I had way too many tuners and I wasn't using it, but I regret that I no longer own it. The Sony 730ES has many very useful control features that I like and its sound was excellent. I should have kept it.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5485/9532636806_8a86c05665_c.jpg

chessman
08-17-2013, 01:48 PM
You guys are making me want a tuner and we only have a handful of crappy stations around here. :)

skydog
08-17-2013, 09:35 PM
I have really been enjoying this unit........Full, rich sound from the bottom to the top. Some very impressive specs as well.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/28693d1376789581-tuner-your-system-sony_st-s730es_2.jpg

Vintage Pete
08-17-2013, 09:48 PM
You guys are making me want a tuner and we only have a handful of crappy stations around here. :)

Randy.....don't even think about it, just get one!! :yes: :D

My favorite flavor is McIntosh, but there are quite a few others that strike my fancy too. :thumbsup:

Pete

Masterlu
08-17-2013, 09:50 PM

Get a good outdoor antenna and you'll pull in stations from the next state. :beatnik:

skydog
08-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Happy B.Day by the way!

best regards,

Tom

Bodhisattva
08-18-2013, 12:32 AM
I have really been enjoying this unit........Full, rich sound from the bottom to the top. Some very impressive specs as well.

AllegroSound * Sony ST-S730ES * (http://www.allegrosound.com/Sony_ST-S730ES.html)I really love the great vintage tuners of the late 80's and early 90's. I remember drooling over the Onkyo Integra range, especially the TA2090 deck & T9090 II tuner. Although my next tuner will probably be an Accuphase T-1100 :music:

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/accessori/Onkyio%20Tuner/onkyo%20t9090II.jpg

http://www.accuphase.com/model/photo/t-1100.jpg

jdandy
08-18-2013, 01:13 AM
David.......Oh Yeah, Baby!

http://www.accuphase.com/model/photo/t-1100.jpg

Bodhisattva
08-18-2013, 02:10 AM
David.......Oh Yeah, Baby!

http://www.accuphase.com/model/photo/t-1100.jpgI have big wraps on the Accuphase as well. I'm lucky, in my apartment building we have a dedicated FM aerial on the roof with a hard wired FM aerial connection behind my racks. As a result, radio reception is excellent. I plan to spend a good bit of money optimizing it as well & plan on using some Jorma Origo cables & a Jorma digital cable to run it dac-out to my cd player. Wow, and I think back to my first tuner; a Cambridge Audio T-500 which I really enjoyed, but the Accuphase will kill it! :music:

Ritmo
08-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Beautiful Accuphase!

I'm not inclined to add a tuner to my system. I get a lot of Internet stations via the Apple TV -> ARC DAC8. Terrific music from all over the world.

Bodhisattva
08-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Beautiful Accuphase!

I'm not inclined to add a tuner to my system. I get a lot of Internet stations via the Apple TV -> ARC DAC8. Terrific music from all over the world.Here in Australia Mike the bandwidth for Internet radio is not very good, and well below that of Europe for example. Somehow I prefer the sound of an analogue tuner, and can only image how good a properly set up Accuphase must sound! :yes:

Jack in Wilmington
08-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Like some of you I don't have a tuner in my system. I do in my HT system but only because my Onkyo receiver has a tuner. I much prefer XM radio now days as most of the old FM stations that I grew up with, now play todays rock music, which for the most part, I'm not into. Through my laptop, when I'm hooked into my two channel rig, I like to tune into stations in other cities. There is a great classical station from Vienna, Austria.

BillK
08-29-2013, 02:54 AM
Sony XDR-F1HD!

JGM411
08-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Like some of you I don't have a tuner in my system. I do in my HT system but only because my Onkyo receiver has a tuner. I much prefer XM radio now days as most of the old FM stations that I grew up with, now play todays rock music, which for the most part, I'm not into. Through my laptop, when I'm hooked into my two channel rig, I like to tune into stations in other cities. There is a great classical station from Vienna, Austria.

I concur...

with that said, I would like a McIntosh MR88. I like Sirius/XM.

Boom Boom
09-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Yes I have tuners in both systems. The bedroom system runs an NAD 4155 and the living room runs a Carver TX-2. The NAD tends not to hold the stations in the presets but that doesn't bother me. I rarely listen to the tuners. Both a lack of interesting programming and great sound from streaming music from my computers through my DACs. FM music stations in my area have come and gone. The ones more interesting to listen to are the experimental music stations and jazz stations from local schools and universities. We have one classical station. The smooth jazz station disappeared. Talk radio is increasing. The rest of the stations are popular genres with tons of commercials

The bedroom computer had the Tune in app loaded for Windows 8. I like the Linn stations and others. I stream from iTunes radio in the living room. I choose higher bit-rates. If I don't want to boot the computers, I can stream some stations from my iPod and Wadia iDocks. I have a few apps installed for stations I like.

I've used the tuners to run interstation FM noise to help burn in new interconnect cables. :D

Samac
03-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Love my tuner, Sony XDR-F1HD. Not much that I like on the radio these days but listen to classical on the NPR HD station all the time.:banana:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/32748d1394504343-tuner-your-system-sony-tuner.jpg

Syntax
05-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Magnum Dynalab 108

http://666kb.com/i/colfz6onha4bhg695.jpg

Yamaki
05-23-2014, 01:10 PM
I ran across this thread again today and realized that my tuner list was incomplete!

I have two Arcam T61's in service, both are black. These operate in my main and my 2-channel systems:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/MADDOG95/Audio%20Gear/ArcamT6101_zpsfc7f3069.jpg

My shop system consists of a Yamaha CT-810 tuner with it's well matched Yamaha CA-2010 amplifier. This is an awesome combination. The tuner likes dipole antennas much better than the amplified units.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/MADDOG95/Audio%20Gear/Yamaha-CT-810-front_zpsb231ef88.jpg

Others I have in service include:

CT-410 in the home office
CT-610 II as my alarm clock

I have a CT-800 on the bench. I'm not sure I can revive it and it may be reduced to parts.

I also have a CR-620 receiver performing FM duty in the wife's glass studio.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/MADDOG95/Audio%20Gear/DSC_0003_zps3221aecc.jpg

Sadly, my MR77 has moved on. I'm regretting that decision at this point.

NOLG4EVR
05-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Magnum Dynalab 108

http://666kb.com/i/colfz6onha4bhg695.jpg

Very nice. I have the 107 and use it quite often for our local jazz station. MD makes great tuners.

FlashG1
05-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Carver TX-11a. Works better than any station in the San Diego broadcast area.

LooseLeaf
07-27-2014, 11:39 AM
I still listen to FM broadcast but today in my region of North America there are only 2 decent stations left, using a Sansui 9800 tuner recapped upgraded including dual power supplies done years ago. Outdoor antenna have owed the Sansui for over 25 years and still enjoy the high quality of FM broadcast.

MC352
07-27-2014, 02:58 PM
I've had the MR78 tuner in my system for a while now,and listen to it a lot on the weekends. Classical music, a cup of coffee, and a newspaper go perfect together.

netroamer
07-28-2014, 05:23 PM
I have a McIntosh MR88 without XM hooked up as of yet. Love it, but do not get a chance to listen very often.

bdowell
07-28-2014, 08:50 PM
I love my Mcintiosh 78 while working from home. Im 70 miles from Los Angeles and it gets a lot if stations. I think it needs to be realigned, any suggestions on local repairs would be helpful.

JES600
01-07-2015, 05:26 PM
My privileges (lack of) preclude me from starting a new thread, but I'm interested in information on the two new Magnum Dynalab tuners referenced in the linked article. Masterlu aka esteemed MD dealer: any words of wisdom?

iBiquity Highlights New HD Radio Products at 2015 CES (http://radiomagonline.com/digital_radio/ibiquity_highlights_new_hd_radio_products_at_2015_ ces_0105/)

Masterlu
01-07-2015, 06:31 PM
My privileges (lack of) preclude me from starting a new thread, but I'm interested in information on the two new Magnum Dynalab tuners referenced in the linked article. Masterlu aka esteemed MD dealer: any words of wisdom?

iBiquity Highlights New HD Radio Products at 2015 CES (http://radiomagonline.com/digital_radio/ibiquity_highlights_new_hd_radio_products_at_2015_ ces_0105/)

Still too soon... no info has come our way yet.

jameslrock
01-07-2015, 09:52 PM
I love my Mcintiosh 78 while working from home. Im 70 miles from Los Angeles and it gets a lot if stations. I think it needs to be realigned, any suggestions on local repairs would be helpful.

First of all that is a heck of an "only system". As for the MR78 I have one now with Terry Dewick in Knoxville Tennessee that is being refurbished. I am in great anticipation of the day I can pick up from him. Suggest you purchase from McIntosh a MR78 shipping box to protect the unit and then ship to Terry for the best in refurb. Go to mcintoshaudio.com to find him and tell him I referred you.

Yamaki
01-07-2015, 10:25 PM
oops...my pics got lost...no matter...

I have an MR85 in the main system now. :yes:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/MADDOG95/Audio%20Gear/McIntosh/MR8509_zpsbbaedc4b.jpg

Dan...do you still use the Fanfare 2G antenna?

Maks
01-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Wow, cool, looks like we might finally get some details about the new MD HD tuner(s).

bdowell
01-09-2015, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE="jameslrock;665553"] First of all that is a heck of an "only system". As for the MR78 I have one now with Terry Dewick in Knoxville Tennessee that is being refurbished. I am in great anticipation of the day I can pick up from him. Suggest you purchase from McIntosh a MR78 shipping box to protect the unit and then ship to Terry for the best in refurb. Go to mcintoshaudio.com to find him and tell him I referred you.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the help.

GaryProtein
01-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Back in the day when there was something worthwhile to listen to on FM, I dreamed of owning the Day Sequerra tuner.

Now, FM is a wasteland. A few tuners today have great technology and there is nothing worth listening to.

It's only nostalgia that stops me from selling my MR78.

AudioGremlin
01-11-2015, 11:05 AM
I'd have to agree garyprotein. Here in the UK most of the commercial and state broadcasters output are heavily compressed.
BBC Radio Three (Classical music) is about the only one I know thats mostly free of undue compression and effects. Listening to a live broadcast is bliss, natural dynamic and good transparency.

I curse loudness wars and the routine use of Antares Autotune & multitrack effects that allow talentless performers air and record space.
Steps off soapbox

Maks
01-11-2015, 08:10 PM
It really depends on your market, IMO. In Chicago most of the stations are Clear Channel garbage, but we have a couple good stations and the 88-92 band has some excellent programming. When I travel to other states I find a lot of content that I just never hear in Chicago. YMMV, but I do quite a bit of listening on my MR88.

jimtranr
01-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Agree, Gary, that much of what is on FM these days is dreck. But what keeps my MR77's in business here in Corvallis are, thanks to a rotored Yagi, a listener-supported classical station and a community-college station in Eugene (about 40 miles away) and a listener-supported jazz station in Gresham (about 70 miles). Programming is 24/7, and both tuners get a fair amount of playing time.

jdandy
01-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Say what you will about the crowded and often abused broadcast signals we are able to receive, I still find it fun to have tuners in my sound systems and DX around finding something fun to listen to. I manage to find more than one station that broadcasts a quality signal with programming I am interested in hearing. A good outside antenna is one of the key's to getting topnotch tuner performance and the ability tune stations at a greater distance. If your tuner is only connected to a cheap dipole ribbon antenna you are not truly hearing what your tuner is capable of delivering. I have a McIntosh MR74, a MR85, a MR88, and a Tandberg 3011 tuner. I enjoy them all.

AudioGremlin
01-12-2015, 05:44 PM
I use a Magnum Dynalab Etude with the separate tunable RF unit fed by stacked yagi's. Fine for DX FM but still I find a lack of quality transmissions. Its such a pity.

FlashG1
01-12-2015, 06:54 PM
I have a Carver TX-11a tuner that is better than any station in San Diego. I have an exterior FM antenna and a custom made AM band directional antenna from the days a few stations experimented with stereo. The only decent broadcasts are a few live classical broadcasts on KPBS-FM, and KSDS-FM, which has a great bunch of underpaid DJs playing from an extensive collection of jazz. The only decent rock station is in Mexico. Being close to LA and Tijuana, there are about 60 stations in range most filled with corporate mandated over compressed playlists. I used to listen looking for new discoveries but alas today I rely on reviews and the Internet for those discoveries.

Capcom
01-22-2015, 02:26 PM
I use a McIntosh MR-77 daily.
We have several public radio stations where i live one of them being a 24hr classical station
which,for me, is the only reason to have a nice tuner.

62caddy
01-22-2015, 06:55 PM
I couldn't agree more with Dan: A system just doesn't seem complete to me without a tuner. Perhaps it's just age, or perhaps the enjoyment of picking signals from the airwaves - experimenting with different antenna types, orientation etc etc and the satisfaction that comes of it when you've finally got that one elusive signal under control! :)

Speaking for myself, FM has introduced me to all kinds of music that I would never have thought to have searched for on my own - even different types of classical music - a genre that I already know well. Radio programs, talk radio, local news & weather programming are other important reasons for having access to FM in my system.

No question about it, an FM tuner provides a important source for my daily listening & enjoyment.

McIntosh MR 78, MR 80 & MX 110 here.

jdandy
01-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Eric.......:goodpost:

Bob Bubeck
01-28-2015, 03:13 PM
I have approached the tuner question via three options:

1. NAD C446 ... The streaming solution to distance. Sounds very good pulling in WRTI in Philly and WCBR out of Boston, for example. Because it will receive beaucoup stations from around the world, one's programming issues are beyond solved. The on-board FM-AM tuner is very respectable, but the sound of the FM falls distinctly behind my classic option (next). The build quality of the NAD probably does not come up to the expectations of many here, but it does function and sound very good and is quite affordable. My day to day workhorse. Received a very favorable recommendation from the TAS.

2. Tandberg 3001A ... one of the more (most?) open and musical sounding tuners around with a broad, deep, detailed sound stage (sources permitting) and excellent sensitivity. The 3001A arguably shares a pinnacle with the few last great analogue tuners. I am the original owner (1983) and I had my Tandberg gone through (recapped) by Radio-X in Flint, MI a few years ago. The station presets have always functioned perfectly on my sample. The sound is distinctly best with the broad selectivity setting. Received great reviews from both Audio and TAS in its day.

3. KLH Model 21 II ... What can one say? A true table top classic. Often imitated but never quite equaled. Original owner (1970). Still in use. Utterly dependable with engaging sound.

Bob

AudioGremlin
01-29-2015, 08:33 AM
http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/38165d1422534770-tuner-your-system-forumrunner_20150129_123237.jpg

bart
01-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Nice thread.
I just read it through.
I started my 'career' with a really old Grundig, and have always listened a lot to the radio. Also in my car.

Right now, I have this tuner coming my way to have a nice second life in our home:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTMzWDgwMA==/z/s0MAAOSwR0JUUCmd/$_57.JPG

http://hotline.ua/img/tx/129/12953765.jpg

Until now, my Pioneer receiver did the job.
Better than internet I must say.
We have a couple of fantastic stations here, with very decent sound, where I always discover new music and enjoy the live concert broadcasts.
As the Pioneer has to go soon, I grabbed the opportunity when this one appeared on audio.de.
I'm looking forward!

Maks
01-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Wow, nice looking tuner!

Antonmb
01-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Yes, interesting thread. I'm a bit jealous though: my last tuner was a Carver TX11a, which I sold after moving to the Cascade foothills. With a roof antenna, a signal booster, and a Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth I was able to get 2 stations from across the border in Canada - one CBC news and one boring rock station. I finally threw in the towel. I listen to internet radio now, and record some radio shows on my computer, but I really miss the experience I grew up with in the Boston area of sitting in front of a tuner in the evening and just spinning the dial to see what came up. Now my tuner looks like this: http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l253/Antonmb53/27A563D8-AF23-41D1-8B37-14AEB1485677_zpsaiu6foex.png

nhparrot
01-30-2015, 07:32 AM
I have a Scott 333c tuner in my vintage system.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr292/nhparrot/Listening%20Room/Scott333_zpscf1223a0.jpg

jdandy
01-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Glenn.......Your Scott tuner is sweet. It looks to be in excellent condition. I would love to own the same tuner. It is a beauty.

tweet
01-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Right now, I have this tuner coming my way to have a nice second life in our home:

Bart... That's a great looking tuner. Let us know how you like it! :thumbsup:

tweet
01-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Glenn.......Your Scott tuner is sweet. It looks to be in excellent condition. I would love to own the same tuner. It is a beauty.

Ditto! :thumbsup:

thomasagase
01-30-2015, 01:02 PM
http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/38181d1422637092-tuner-your-system-forumrunner_20150130_115809.jpg

Besides all the love I have for my tuner, the rack wouldn't look the same without it.
The 88 is the best XM host I've used.

nhparrot
01-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Thanks - It has a few minor flaws and is going out for a "tuneup" soon.

4Play
02-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Tuners limit your listening choices, which is why I use the next best tuner in my audio system. I use a Marantz NA7004 network audio player. A network audio player gives you over 20,000 channels to pick from. Every music genre is listed. A network audio player is AirPlay compatible, and you also get the subscription stations such as Pandora, Spotify, and Rhapsody just to name a few.

This has been the best investment to my audio system, and I would highly recommend a network audio player to anyone. :music:

jdandy
02-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Tuners limit your listening choices, which is why I use the next best tuner in my audio system. I use a Marantz NA7004 network audio player. A network audio player gives you over 20,000 channels to pick from. Every music genre is listed. A network audio player is AirPlay compatible, and you also get the subscription stations such as Pandora, Spotify, and Rhapsody just to name a few.

This has been the best investment to my audio system, and I would highly recommend a network audio player to anyone. :music:

Tim.......That's not a bad way to go if you don't mind MP3 sound quality. Talk shows might be fine for me but network streaming players don't hold a candle to the 30 Hz to 15 kHz audio spectrum of FM broadcasts. I routinely listen to an FM jazz program on my MR88 that sounds as good as the CD's and vinyl they broadcast.

To refocus this thread, the topic is about a tuner in your audio system, not Internet streaming. Perhaps you can start a thread on your topic.

bart
02-10-2015, 05:57 AM
Nice thread.
I just read it through.
I started my 'career' with a really old Grundig, and have always listened a lot to the radio. Also in my car.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTMzWDgwMA==/z/s0MAAOSwR0JUUCmd/$_57.JPG

Until now, my Pioneer receiver did the job.
Better than internet I must say.
We have a couple of fantastic stations here, with very decent sound, where I always discover new music and enjoy the live concert broadcasts.
As the Pioneer has to go soon, I grabbed the opportunity when this one appeared on audio.de.
I'm looking forward!

The tuner arrived on Friday.
Installed it right away.
Wow!
Compared to the sound of the Pioneer tuner, this is a piece of hifi, that sounds almost as good as a CD player.
I already listened a lot to FM, I'll do it even more.
Pics will follow...

Kaliar
02-10-2015, 11:09 AM
The tuner arrived on Friday.
Installed it right away.
Wow!
Compared to the sound of the Pioneer tuner, this is a piece of hifi, that sounds almost as good as a CD player.
I already listened a lot to FM, I'll do it even more.
Pics will follow...I'm happy for you, bart! I wish you many hours of happy listening! :thumbsup:

Guy

Bill Stevenson
04-15-2015, 05:01 PM
I listen to FM every day. NPR, local jazz, classical. The key for me is local so I can learn what is going on, where the performances are and so forth. I have a McIntosh MR78 in S. Florida and a Kenwood 600T in the Boston area. I also have a Sony HAP-Z1ES that gets all the digital stuff around the world. It is not engaging me. Too impersonal, no talk, no news, there is no comparison. FM is far from dead.

Masterlu
04-15-2015, 08:01 PM
Bill Stevenson... Welcome to AA! :wave:

gsr
04-22-2015, 06:45 PM
Creek T43
Scott LT110b

Capcom
04-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Just recently purchased a Kenwood L-07T modded by Don Scott.
I'm really impressed with the quality of the audio...very warm and musical.
To my listening, it has an exceptional sound – smooth, rich, full of texture without loss of detail – especially with the mods and enhancements that have been done to it.
With FM this good, i could listen all day. It's pure analog sound at its best.

Here's what he did to it....

- Gold-plated F connector for antenna input
- 300-Ohm antenna input disconnected for better sensitivity
- added a pair of Cardas audio output jacks
- High-grade copper wiring to audio outputs
- Gold-plated eight-pin jack for audio output IC
- Selected LM-833 IC for audio out at lowest distortion
- (2) High-grade audio output capacitors (47uF)
- (2) Audio 1uF caps change to 10uF for better bass response
- added a IEC power socket
- Traces on PC board bypassed at AC entry with heavy copper wire to increase audio transparency
- (6) 3-pin socket for IF filter for Narrow position
- Filters selected for the above to gain selectivity and fidelity, with the least compromise
- Alignment

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah277/davvie1/_57_zpsfov2egss.jpg

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah277/davvie1/_57_zpsfalktrbi.jpg

tweet
04-29-2015, 09:48 PM
David,
Congratulations! That's a fantastic looking tuner with some serious mods. I'm confident it will provide you many years of listening enjoyment. :thumbsup:

djwhog
04-29-2015, 09:55 PM
What is the best McIntosh Tuner one can get, or should I say find?

PS those last few look nice guys.

Masterlu
04-29-2015, 10:18 PM
what is the best mcintosh tuner one can get, or should i say find?

Ps those last few look nice guys.

MR-88 imho :)

jdandy
04-29-2015, 10:26 PM

Dave.......I can highly recommend the new McIntosh MR88. Excellent tuner with many great features including AM, FM. HD, XM. It also features both analog and digital outputs and digital signal processing. I love mine. It is my second one. I sold my first one because I thought I had too many tuners. I missed it almost immediately and bought another one. The photo below is of my first MR88. My second one is in my studio system. I listen to it all the time.

Here is a link to ToneAudio's review: McIntosh MR88 – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE (http://www.tonepublications.com/review/the-mr-88-mcintoshs-dream-tuner/)

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq255/jdandy_photos/McIntoshMR88.jpg

tweet
04-29-2015, 10:36 PM

Dave,
I'm very happy with my MR88. Tonight I'm listening to one of the University of Tennessee's FM-HD stations and the music and sound quality is excellent. The MR88 is probably the most used source in our home and in my opinion, one of the best looking components offered by McIntosh. :)

http://www.audioaficionado.org/members/tweet-albums-system-pics-picture3683-mcintosh-mr88.jpg

djwhog
04-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Nice thanks guys, are they available new? Sorry I have not been on Macs site yet to look.

jdandy
04-29-2015, 10:54 PM
Nice thanks guys, are they available new? Sorry I have not been on Macs site yet to look.

Dave.......Yes indeed!

McIntosh AM/FM/HD/XM Radio Tuners, Radio Sources (http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/categorylanding.aspx?CatId=Tuners)

djwhog
04-29-2015, 11:02 PM
OK one more item I see I will add to the short list.

Question, since my rig is in the basement, are there any wireless type of antenna etc for FM, HD fm, and of course XM that I can connect I know I can get outside thought the utility room in my basement were my direct cables etc come in. So it there was a device I connect there to outside and an a conection on the MR88 to pull the signals in I am solved. I have a power unit not on the Carver tuner, works decent but really need to get outside. Only other option is to drive a concrete wall to run cables to an outside antenna(s).

thanks Dan!

jdandy
04-29-2015, 11:03 PM
Here is my latest tuner acquisition, like I needed another tuner. Just couldn't pass it up. . ;)

Crown FM Two

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7757/16695389114_027c8197e9_o.jpg

ellisr63
04-30-2015, 01:58 AM
I used to love listening to the "Modern Mix" on live 105 back in the 90s with my Yamaha T2... I don't think I have listened to FM at home since the late 1990s. Sometimes i do miss it, but then i just pick my own mix of songs off my NAS, or watch a movie.

Capcom
04-30-2015, 06:29 AM
David,
Congratulations! That's a fantastic looking tuner with some serious mods. I'm confident it will provide you many years of listening enjoyment. :thumbsup:
Thanks, Terry....
I'm so impressed with the performance of the Kenwood, I'm thinking of giving up my MR71.

Maks
04-30-2015, 03:16 PM

PS those last few look nice guys.
I think it depends on what you're looking for, I think Dan can chime in here too. I have both an MR-88 and MR-74, I like both for different reasons. However, as it stands with me only having room for one tuner at the moment, the MR-74 is the one in storage. The MR-88 is by far a better DXer and the addition of the HD content is nice. I also get excellent AM reception with its unique antenna and that's even considering I life in a brick loft. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the MR-88.

Bill Stevenson
05-05-2015, 04:31 PM
The answer to this question in part depends on where you live, what you have available for programing and your priorities. If FM broadcast is your priority it is not controversial to say that the best tuner McIntosh has ever made is the MR78. Mine was recently modified and serviced by Richard Modafferi and I am very pleased with it. Two other tuners to consider have already been commended to you: The MR74 which has a wonderful tone complements of the tubes methinks, and the MR88 which has HD for those that have that service available. Frankly, these are all great tuners.

Maks
05-14-2015, 11:11 PM
The answer to this question in part depends on where you live, what you have available for programing and your priorities. If FM broadcast is your priority it is not controversial to say that the best tuner McIntosh has ever made is the MR78. Mine was recently modified and serviced by Richard Modafferi and I am very pleased with it. Two other tuners to consider have already been commended to you: The MR74 which has a wonderful tone complements of the tubes methinks, and the MR88 which has HD for those that have that service available. Frankly, these are all great tuners.
There are no tubes in the MR-74 (other than the magic eye). Generally speaking, the MR-74 and MR-77 are held in higher regard for sound quality over the MR-78.

cleeds
01-25-2016, 04:14 PM
This past weekend validated having an FM tuner in my system. (Not that I needed the validation.) More than two feet of snow. Virtually unpassable roads - eight feet of blowing and drifting snow on the street parallel to mine! In conditions like this, it's hard to fault Comcast for its system problems: no TV, no Internet.

This is when it's nice to have a choice of a few relatively good FM stations. Sure, we listened to a lot of LPs and CDs, watched a couple of DVDs and - I'm not gonna fib in this forum - we listened casually to some MP3s. But it was nice to have FM, and to get updated local weather and news reports mixed in with some music and friendly radio personalities.

I grew up in the golden era of FM radio, so having a good tuner is a natural for me. Still, it seems to me that it's something almost every audiophile would enjoy, even if only occasionally.

jdandy
01-25-2016, 04:30 PM
cleeds.......I'm with you. A quality FM tuner is a fine source component. I wouldn't think of building a sound system without a tuner. I have to be careful because every quality tuner I see I want to buy, even when I don't need any more tuners. I have been eyeballing two tuners just this past week. I think I might need a tuner intervention. :D

Weirdcuba
01-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Agreed. Strongly. I can't believe Dan said that about multiple tuners. I'm eyeing a second one and wondering where I'll put it! Plus, people just don't realize how good a good tuner can sound. Less good stations and signals to choose from these days, but still good stuff.

62caddy
01-25-2016, 05:34 PM
It's so true the magic a fine tuner brings to a good system.

Most weekends I tune into Prairie Home Companion from our local NPR affiliate whose sound quality is superb. I daresay some of the most lifelike sonics I have ever experienced from my systems - came from FM through a McIntosh MX110 or MR 80. :redface:

cleeds
01-26-2016, 09:54 AM
... Most weekends I tune into Prairie Home Companion from our local NPR affiliate whose sound quality is superb ...

Agreed! The live PHC broadcasts have excellent fidelity!

jdandy
01-26-2016, 10:05 AM
What I find interesting and a bit sad is FM tuners are no longer considered a premium source component by the majority of audio enthusiasts. Tuners are regularly dismissed as nonessential, with some considering a tuner worthless. I suspect most of these people have never experienced listening to a quality signal from a well produced station, not to mention listening to an actual live performance being broadcast over FM. It is excellent. To these individuals I suggest you take the time to discover a quality FM tuner and its sound in a high-end system. You will be impressed with the sound quality. A good tuner is a joy to own and use.

quinlanmw
01-26-2016, 06:24 PM
...Tuners are regularly dismissed as nonessential, with some considering a tuner worthless. I suspect most of these people have never experienced listening to a quality signal from a well produced station, not to mention listening to an actual live performance being broadcast over FM...

Dan...I can only speak for myself but I suspect I am not unique. I well remember experiencing a quality signal from a well produced station. I continually bemoan the paucity of quality programming available to me. And it's not like I live in the sticks--my home is in Northern San Diego County, an area with a population in excess of a million people.

I am able to receive plenty of FM stations with strong signals--I just have no desire to listen to them. My tastes are broadly eclectic--I can appreciate music quality across many genres, from jazz to classical to progressive rock and even hip hop. The corporate consolidation of radio broadcasting and its effect on programming has been discussed repeatedly in this forum so I won't rehash it.

I own a McIntosh MR85 as well as a MR74, which I had envisioned as the centerpiece of a vintage McIntosh system. The MR85 is powered up daily in my main system yet I rarely listen to it, only occasionally when I want to hear NPR. The MR74 is stored in a cabinet, collecting dust.

It pains me to say it but both tuners are worthless to me. Yet I cling to them with the faint hope that someday a tuner will again fill the house with that sweet analog sound.

Vintage Pete
01-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Dan...I can only speak for myself but I suspect I am not unique. I well remember experiencing a quality signal from a well produced station. I continually bemoan the paucity of quality programming available to me. And it's not like I live in the sticks--my home is in Northern San Diego County, an area with a population in excess of a million people.

I am able to receive plenty of FM stations with strong signals--I just have no desire to listen to them. My tastes are broadly eclectic--I can appreciate music quality across many genres, from jazz to classical to progressive rock and even hip hop. The corporate consolidation of radio broadcasting and its effect on programming has been discussed repeatedly in this forum so I won't rehash it.

I own a McIntosh MR85 as well as a MR74, which I had envisioned as the centerpiece of a vintage McIntosh system. The MR85 is powered up daily in my main system yet I rarely listen to it, only occasionally when I want to hear NPR. The MR74 is stored in a cabinet, collecting dust.

It pains me to say it but both tuners are worthless to me. Yet I cling to them with the faint hope that someday a tuner will again fill the house with that sweet analog sound.

Just kind of shrugging my shoulders as I listen at this moment to great sound coming from both my MR74 and MR78 tuners in two different rooms simultaneously... :dunno:

As I've said before, I'll take any and all McTuners off anyone's hands who deems them as worthless.... :D

jdandy
01-26-2016, 07:59 PM

Mike.......I understand the sentiment and the bemoaning of quality broadcast content. Of the ten or so FM stations I can tune clearly here in rural north Florida, only two are what I consider high quality programming. My favorite is the NPR station broadcast from the University of Florida, particularly their late night jazz programming. That alone makes my tuners worth their space in my system racks. We don't have to love everything the tuner captures, but when it does capture a quality signal with excellent programming it is truly worth the price of admission.

Not surprisingly, I have a lot of fun late at night just slowly rotating the tuning knob with the Mute circuit off to see what's out there that I can't hear during the day. It is interesting to discover distant stations, even when not necessarily getting clear reception. I do the same thing at night on my world band JRC receiver and my Icom communications receiver. Radio has always captured my imagination. Right now I am listening to Radio Havana Cuba on my JRC NRD-525 receiver. Lots of fun things are out there on the airwaves.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24552965991_d75fb0c89e_b.jpg

quinlanmw
01-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Just kind of shrugging my shoulders as I listen at this moment to great sound coming from both my MR74 and MR78 tuners in two different rooms simultaneously... :dunno:

As I've said before, I'll take any and all McTuners off anyone's hands who deems them as worthless.... :D

Good for you, Pete.

quinlanmw
01-26-2016, 09:21 PM
...We don't have to love everything the tuner captures, but when it does capture a quality signal with excellent programming it is truly worth the price of admission...

Dan, I agree completely. I'd happily settle for one good station.

In the old days my tuner was front and center in my listening habits--if I was not listening to records or tapes it was always playing. I enjoyed discovering new music on a favorite station. I loved the feel of tuning a different station or adjusting the volume on a quality piece of equipment. It was a joy to tune a station that had been playing on the car radio and marveling at how darn good it sounded as the sound filled the room with that analog sweetness.

I miss it.

Cohibaman
01-26-2016, 11:36 PM
After working on my brothers MR78, I really wanted a tuner myself. So....I just bought a McIntosh MR80. Can't wait to get it and clean it up!

jdandy
01-26-2016, 11:48 PM
Mike.......SWEET. The McIntosh MR80 is a great sounding tuner. I have heard it many times at Pete's home (Vintage Pete).

jimtranr
01-27-2016, 01:37 AM
What I find interesting and a bit sad is FM tuners are no longer considered a premium source component by the majority of audio enthusiasts. Tuners are regularly dismissed as nonessential, with some considering a tuner worthless.

Not true here (as you're probably aware, Dan), thanks to the presence of two quality within-reach stations--one classical, one jazz, both of them noncommercial and listener-supported, as well as an NPR-affiliated community college station with some very good music programming and another noncommercial classical station out of Portland that's now accessible via a recently-installed nearby repeater. So my MR 77's aren't gathering dust.

Have to agree, however, that it's sad to see some metro areas that on the face of it would appear to be logical candidates based on population size having to do without decent, quality-signal programming.

tunes
01-27-2016, 12:33 PM
I've recently added a magnum dynalab 108t to the system. I've had a few magnum tuners over the years and regretted selling the last one a few years ago. Have jumped in to tunerland on a great used 108t at a great price.
Agree with the sentiments expressed that they can really shine with a quality station/signal.

jdandy
01-27-2016, 12:46 PM
I've recently added a magnum dynalab 108t to the system. I've had a few magnum tuners over the years and regretted selling the last one a few years ago. Have jumped in to tunerland on a great used 108t at a great price.
Agree with the sentiments expressed that they can really shine with a quality station/signal.

Chris.......Congratulations on your Magnum Dynalab 108t. That is one sweet tuner.

http://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/585234-fs_magnum_dynalab_md108t_triode_fm_tuner.jpg

tunes
01-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Thx Dan. Yes, i am pretty happy with it. The version i bought is silver faced, and without the digital option or the remote.
Chris

jdandy
01-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Thx Dan. Yes, i am pretty happy with it. The version i bought is silver faced, and without the digital option or the remote.

Chris.......I agree with your choices. I don't need a remote because I want to put my hand on the tuner, and I would never put a DAC in my tuner. You did it right.

Cohibaman
01-27-2016, 02:53 PM
Chris.......I agree with your choices. I don't need a remote because I want to put my hand on the tuner, and I would never put a DAC in my tuner. You did it right.

DAC in a tuner? What blasphemy is this? :yikes: :D

jdandy
01-27-2016, 03:28 PM
DAC in a tuner? What blasphemy is this? :yikes: :D

Mike.......I know, it does seem strange to pollute the chassis of a fantastic all analog tuner by including a DAC option. Magnum Dynalab has been making an effort over the years to expand their catalog of components beyond tuners. I see the DAC as one of their approaches to gain a bigger piece of the audio pie.

I think Magnum Dynalab is a fine company. They have been manufacturing exceptional analog tuners for many years. None the less, I see it as near sacrilege to put a DAC in their tuner chassis. Thank goodness it is an option that does not have to be ordered.

Weirdcuba
01-27-2016, 08:07 PM
No dac in my 108T, and I like it that way.

slowGEEZR
02-01-2016, 07:12 PM
I can't believe I just discovered this thread. Here's mine, a beautiful Sansui that plays beautifully, too.
https://slowgeezr.smugmug.com/Music/My-Audio-System/i-z5nmBgh/0/XL/DSC02008-XL.jpg

jdandy
02-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Steve.......The Sansui TU-919 was a very popular tuner. I always liked the way Sansui managed to make their black components look so different from everyone else's black components. Great looking tuner.

You may want to try resizing your photos to no larger than 1200 pixels wide before uploading them so they fit on the page with having to scroll left to right to view they entire image.

slowGEEZR
02-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Steve.......The Sansui TU-919 was a very popular tuner. I always liked the way Sansui managed to make their black components look so different from everyone else's black components. Great looking tuner.

You may want to try resizing your photos to no larger than 1200 pixels wide before uploading them so they fit on the page with having to scroll left to right to view they entire image.

Thanks.

Vintage Pete
02-01-2016, 08:19 PM
That Sansui TU-919 is very similar to my TU-717, which served me very well for many years. I still have it, and even had it back in service for a short time last year. It's a fine tuner, nice looking and very good sounding. :yes:

jameslrock
02-01-2016, 08:40 PM
In the next few weeks I am sending my MR78 tuner to Audio Classics for a check up and to receive the Modafferi mod. This should make the tuner viable for many years to come. I have ordered boxes for the vintage equipment from AC and should receive by Wednesday this week. Over the next few months I will use the boxes to send the rest of the vintage gear to AC for a tune up. I like having something to look forward to. :)

Vintage Pete
02-01-2016, 09:23 PM
In the next few weeks I am sending my MR78 tuner to Audio Classics for a check up and to receive the Modafferi mod. This should make the tuner viable for many years to come. I have ordered boxes for the vintage equipment from AC and should receive by Wednesday this week. Over the next few months I will use the boxes to send the rest of the vintage gear to AC for a tune up. I like having something to look forward to. :)

I like that too James, and you certainly have something to look forward to! :yes:

jdandy
02-01-2016, 10:23 PM
Steve.......Your Sansui TU-919 is a beauty. Thanks for resizing the photo.

https://slowgeezr.smugmug.com/Music/My-Audio-System/i-z5nmBgh/0/XL/DSC02008-XL.jpg

Weirdcuba
02-01-2016, 11:02 PM
Love the look of that Sansui. I just cranked up my new to me accuphase c3800, so I can't even verbalize what I'm thinking about now in terms of tuners ...

tweet
02-01-2016, 11:56 PM
Steve.... The Sansui TU-919 looks fantastic. Happy listening. :thumbsup:

slowGEEZR
02-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks! After posting, I listened to it for a couple of hours last night. Sounds pretty darn good! Fortunately, there are about forty FM stations within about forty five miles of my location and some of them put out a quality signal. I can pick up most of them with a simple T-type indoor antenna, but I have an MD ST-2 on order and hopefully, will be able to pick up even more stations.

Cohibaman
02-02-2016, 08:50 PM
On Saturday, I received my new arrival, a McIntosh MR80 tuner. Unfortunately, after opening the packing, I quickly realized it was yet another victim of improper packing; not by the seller (who was great thru this whole ordeal), but the pack & ship shop he typically uses. Apparently there was a newbie working that day and clearly didn't know what he was doing. So there it was, the dreaded smashed glass. :mad:

Not only does the MR80 have one of the most expensive glass faces to replace (in that size anyway), it's one of the most difficult, or at least tedious to replace due to the design of the capacitive touch buttons. To make a long story short, the seller and I came to equitable terms so I'm keeping the tuner and after encouragement from Vintage Pete, 62Caddy and a few other (thanks guys), I decided I'm going to replace the glass myself. This should be fun.

In any case, the MR80 is recognized to be one of the best tuners McIntosh ever made and I can attest to it, this thing sounds amazing! I'm sure it'll sound even better when I install new glass and upgrade the lamps to LEDs this weekend. :thumbsup:

jdandy
02-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Mike.......Sounds like you had a level of respect for the seller but I have to say he was foolish to expect a pack & ship store to properly support and secure the MR80 for shipping. I mean, you have to be a bit lackadaisical to just drop off the MR80 and believe the minimum wage fellow in the back room knows anything about shipping McIntosh gear. The only way to ship a McIntosh component is in the properly designed double boxes that McIntosh uses. The ol' "Don't worry, I know how to pack audio gear" doesn't fly with me when it comes to shipping McIntosh gear. It either gets shipped in the proper boxes or I don't make the purchase.

I am sorry to hear about the smashed glass. That is infuriating to discover when you are excited about receiving a new component. Good luck with the repair.

jameslrock
02-02-2016, 09:50 PM
I ordered five boxes from Audio Classics in case I need to ship my vintage gear including my MR78. I will receive the boxes this Wednesday and will post what I receive. The boxes are supposed to be double to triple boxed design to safely ship. I ordered them as I have already had a PE turntable destroyed by UPS and never want that to happen again. The boxes are expensive but I consider them to be a type of insurance.

nicoff
02-02-2016, 10:08 PM
When I was in college I had a Yamaha receiver with a good tuner and listened to KJAZ (Bay Area) all the time.
Go forward many years and my listening habits changed and I found myself listening to FM radio only in my car and mostly news.
Thinking that the problem was that I did not have a good tuner, I bought a Magnum Dynalab tuner hoping that I would go back to listening to FM music like the old days but that did not happen.
So I admitted that my habits had changed and sold the Magnum.
Today most FM stations are accessible via streaming. One can listen to radio stations from anywhere in the world. Also many stations transmit in digital format (HD radio) which helps with reception but only if one has a digital receiver.

Cohibaman
02-03-2016, 11:37 PM
I have new glass on order and today I installed the LEDs in my newly acquired MR80. Here's a photo of the progress. Notice the cracks near the tuning knob. :(

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/43907d1454556996-tuner-your-system-image-431159459.jpg

It sounds wonderful though!

Cohibaman
02-06-2016, 05:49 PM
I received the new glass today. All in all, it took several hours to transfer everything from the old glass to the new glass. The MR80 is one of the more difficult McGlass swaps there is. Here's the finished work...

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/43943d1454795249-tuner-your-system-image-1140737427.jpg

jdandy
02-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Mike.......Gorgeous. The LED kit is looking good, too. You did a fine job. . :yahoo:

Cohibaman
02-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Mike.......Gorgeous. The LED kit is looking good, too. You did a fine job. . :yahoo:

Thanks Dan. I love restoring old McIntosh stuff like this especially since the MR80 tuner really sounds fantastic. I'm so glad I picked it up.

What's really amazing to me about this particular tuner is the early technology it sports and the number of IC chips they used. It's the first digital display McIntosh tuner and there's 18 or more ICs just for the digital counter and display alone, with 68 ICs in total!

IMHO, if you don't have a descent tuner in your system, you really are missing something.

W9TR
02-07-2016, 10:44 AM
Nice MR 80. Mine stopped locking onto stereo signals so it is being restored by Mark Wilson of Absolute Sound Labs. I'm looking forward to getting back in the system.
Tom

quinlanmw
02-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Beautiful--nice work.

jameslrock
02-08-2016, 09:44 PM

The MR78 is on its way to Audio Classics. They will receive on Thursday. Now the wait that I expect will be rewarded. Wonder what the Modafferi mod will be like.

Vintage Pete
02-11-2016, 09:27 PM
I received the new glass today. All in all, it took several hours to transfer everything from the old glass to the new glass. The MR80 is one of the more difficult McGlass swaps there is. Here's the finished work...

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/tuners/43943d1454795249-tuner-your-system-image-1140737427.jpg

Mike....I've been pretty busy and haven't been on the site a lot. This is the first I've seen your MR80 with the new glass. It looks great, you did an excellent job. Enjoy....you've got yourself a fine tuner for sure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Vintage Pete
02-11-2016, 09:34 PM
imho, if you don't have a descent tuner in your system, you really are missing something.

Mike....AMEN!!! :yes: :yes:

tweet
02-11-2016, 11:21 PM
Mike... You have a beautiful tuner. Great job and happy listening. :thumbsup:

Cohibaman
02-13-2016, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys. I just got done with a partial recapping on the MR80. I changed out all electrolytic capacitors on the 2 power supply boards, the control logic & tuning board, the digital counter board, and the headphone amp & turn-on delay board. I even found two coveted Blackgate caps in my stash that replace a pair of cheepo caps in the signal path.

I did find a design issue as well. It seems they used a 40 volt filtering cap that's actually running at 43 volts. :yikes:

Of course, I had a little Murphy's law incident, but thankfully I was able to repair my mistake. It's tedious work and while I think the result are not very noticeable sonically, they should keep the tuner working for the rest of my lifetime. :thumbsup:

AMammal
04-19-2021, 12:48 AM
Young blood here reviving ancient thread...

Just bought a Sansui TU-9900 and pick it up this Thursday. Pretty excited about it! Not sure how it compares to the other tuners mentioned here, but I figure it will be better than the crossley radio I got for 13 bucks that has been hooked up to our living room system, lol.

Figure these things will only appreciate over time, and man we have some great jazz, independent, & public/classical shows broadcasting these days. This will be my first ever dedicated tuner in a hi-fi system. :)