PDA

View Full Version : Found the ultimate TT combo - thankfully - SME 20/2 w/V arm/Palo Santos Presentation

vintage_tube
11-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Ultimate? YMMV; but, this combination has me jirating between a big smile one monent and teary-eyed the next. Let me try and explain that, begining with the overall build impressions (which directly reflects on the final output).

The craftmanship which SME builds their tables & arms is downright precision to the umteenth degree. One would get that impression right off the bat when unpacking and begining the initial setup. Frankly, I don't know of another table in this price bracket that can come close to the engineering SME has undertaken. The tools provided are not run of the mill neither & project an intricacy of what one would see on an operating table.

When setup, the build quality is directly responsible for what one hears -- detail that spells musicality with perfect balance and an airyness never before heard. That presence & resolution equates to vinyl enjoyment that causes me to be amazed each & every recording. I'm speculating here, but I'm safe to say that is a direct result of their suspended design -- which is elaborate, yet simple at the same time to say the least. Matching up the table to what has been professed as the "world's best tone arm" adds to the overall package synergy.

Probably not the prettiest TT ever built -- but, it was born to get down to business and does it ever!

If anyone was looking at a top echelon TT combination, the SME 20/2 equipped with a SME V TA is the way to go for life-ever-after enjoyment.

Thanks SME -- my vinyl pinnacle has been achieved.:thumbsup:

Bob

Still-One
11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Sounds like all the wait was worth it for you. You really have put together a fine system.

Happy listening Bob.

Masterlu
11-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Great to hear Bob, I have very high expectations for my CA Rig as well.

In the mean time I have been collecting vinyl like gold at $300 oz :)

cmalak
11-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Good to hear Bob. Enjoy it for a very long time. :thumbsup:

PHC1
11-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Bob, my similar SME rig also had me very happy after sorting it all out and dialing it in. :music:

Tonepub
11-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Though I don't have an SME table at present (but do have 4 SME arms!), I too am a huge fan of the SME 20 and 30. I could live happily ever after with either.

So, you are hearing a pretty big jump between your 20 and the SL-1200 I take it?

:)

Puma Cat
11-22-2010, 04:59 PM
The craftmanship which SME builds their tables & arms is downright precision to the umteenth degree. One would get that impression right off the bat when unpacking and begining the initial setup. Frankly, I don't know of another table in this price bracket that can come close to the engineering SME has undertaken. The tools provided are not run of the mill neither & project an intricacy of what one would see on an operating table.

When setup, the build quality is directly responsible for what one hears -- detail that spells musicality with perfect balance and an airyness never before heard. That presence & resolution equates to vinyl enjoyment that causes me to be amazed each & every recording. I'm speculating here, but I'm safe to say that is a direct result of their suspended design -- which is elaborate, yet simple at the same time to say the least. Matching up the table to what has been professed as the "world's best tone arm" adds to the overall package synergy.

Probably not the prettiest TT ever built -- but, it was born to get down to business and does it ever!

If anyone was looking at a top echelon TT combination, the SME 20/2 equipped with a SME V TA is the way to go for life-ever-after enjoyment.

Thanks SME -- my vinyl pinnacle has been achieved.:thumbsup:

Bob
"Frankly, I don't know of another table in this price bracket that can come close to the engineering SME has undertaken."

As far as I am concerned, nobody in the TT audio biz has engineering capabilities that can surpass SME; perhaps Clearaudio and Continuum can be on par but not surpass SME. IMHO, there are TT companies (some of them start with a "V") that can only dream of being able to have SME's core competencies and capability of creating engineering specifications.

Masterlu
11-22-2010, 05:11 PM
"Frankly, I don't know of another table in this price bracket that can come close to the engineering SME has undertaken."

As far as I am concerned, nobody in the TT audio biz has engineering capabilities that can surpass SME; perhaps Clearaudio and Continuum can be on par but not surpass SME. IMHO, there are TT companies (some of them start with a "V") that can only dream of being able to have SME's core competencies and capability of creating engineering specifications.

Obviously you forgot about Garrard... :laughin:

jdandy
11-22-2010, 05:20 PM

And BIC. :roflmao:

cmalak
11-22-2010, 05:23 PM

I appreciate the sentiment being expressed here. I think SME is at the top of the heap when it comes to engineering excellence and especially machining tolerances. One company that I do believe matches SME on this front is Basis Audio. The level of engineering and the precision of the machining in a Basis table is truly outstanding. When you inspect a Basis Audio table you cannot detect a smidgeon of wow or flutter. The thought that went into the design of the tt plinth, the bearing assembly, the suspension, the motor assembly, the tonearm design, is all on par I think with SME eventhough SME has scale that dwarfs Basis Audio by comparison. But I agree, SME = engineering excellence.

Tonepub
11-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Again, I think what really helps SME is the level of equipment they have in the factory that spends 99% of it's time producing F1 and aerospace stuff, just happens to be there to make turntables too. None of the other mfrs. could possibly afford to invest that kind of capital in their machine shops.

vintage_tube
11-23-2010, 02:05 AM
There are several things that intrigue me with this table combo now that it has been set up & working wonderfully:

1. What manufacturer suggests you run the table 24 hours a day for 30 days inorder to set the main bearing? This is in the manual BTW. Mine has another 2 weeks of constant spinning to comply with SMEs' recommendation.

2. For those that aren't aware, this table doesn't require a mat. The platter is machined from an isodamp face material (don't touch it -- oils will be imprinted) that is diamond turned that imparts a finish that improves record/platter contact. A small washer placed around the spindle & then the record is then placed. What I find unique, is the engineering of the record clamp. Screw it on and as one tightens it down on the record, you adjust the 'clamp tightness' by tapping on the record in 3 or 4 places. A bit of frequent use and one finds the right amount of tension needed. If you screw it against the record too tight, just back it off a bit. Getting the correct audio response as one 'taps' on the record is the key. The clamp is so cool -- and works sooooooo well at reducing resonances & makes a big difference if it is not providing that tension on the record. The threaded clamp is much, much better than a clamp you push down that just places some weight in the center. There are some TT's that have a screw down clamp but doesn't operate with the caliber of the SME IMO.

3. Everything is sooooo smoothe in operation.

Bob

f1 fan
11-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Bob...glad you're enjoying the SME 'table. It's a wonderful table that will bring years of musical joy.

Dave

Still-One
11-23-2010, 08:02 PM

4. ????

Bob
Bob

But what about the Strad's ???

Jim

vintage_tube
11-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Bob

But what about the Strad's ???

Jim

See my Strad/SME/racks thread

Bob

Puma Cat
11-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Again, I think what really helps SME is the level of equipment they have in the factory that spends 99% of it's time producing F1 and aerospace stuff, just happens to be there to make turntables too. None of the other mfrs. could possibly afford to invest that kind of capital in their machine shops.

Yup, exactly.

Puma Cat
11-27-2010, 12:12 PM
There are several things that intrigue me with this table combo now that it has been set up & working wonderfully:

1. What manufacturer suggests you run the table 24 hours a day for 30 days inorder to set the main bearing? This is in the manual BTW. Mine has another 2 weeks of constant spinning to comply with SMEs' recommendation.

2. For those that aren't aware, this table doesn't require a mat. The platter is machined from an isodamp face material (don't touch it -- oils will be imprinted) that is diamond turned that imparts a finish that improves record/platter contact. A small washer placed around the spindle & then the record is then placed. What I find unique, is the engineering of the record clamp. Screw it on and as one tightens it down on the record, you adjust the 'clamp tightness' by tapping on the record in 3 or 4 places. A bit of frequent use and one finds the right amount of tension needed. If you screw it against the record too tight, just back it off a bit. Getting the correct audio response as one 'taps' on the record is the key. The clamp is so cool -- and works sooooooo well at reducing resonances & makes a big difference if it is not providing that tension on the record. The threaded clamp is much, much better than a clamp you push down that just places some weight in the center. There are some TT's that have a screw down clamp but doesn't operate with the caliber of the SME IMO.

Bob

Yep, that's SME as I know them. Another thing I love is how the SME V arm has spring-loaded "rails" (part of their rack and pinion geometry adjustment system) that lets you loosen the bolts that hold the arm pillar, then adjust the VTA "on the fly" while listening w/o the arm pillar sliding down the support rail because it's held in place by the spring tension.

vintage_tube
11-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Yep, that's SME as I know them. Another thing I love is how the SME V arm has spring-loaded "rails" (part of their rack and pinion geometry adjustment system) that lets you loosen the bolts that hold the arm pillar, then adjust the VTA "on the fly" while listening w/o the arm pillar sliding down the support rail because it's held in place by the spring tension.

Frankly, I'm still learning of all the intricacies of the SME 20/2 & V Tonearm. Infact, Metaphacts told me recently he will stop by again in Dec/Jan to do a check up on the setup and pass on a few tidbits that he has learned over the years.

Since we ran into hum issues (my fault) that took several hours to narrow down, all of us missed out on discussing those 'tweaks'.

Anyway, talk about dealer/distributor support -- off the charts and shows that he/they are as concerned & concientious about customer satisfaction as those who build these precision units. I don't know of anyone purchasing a similiar table who would receive this distributorship concern or attention (maybe with those $100K tables or so--dunno).

Bob

Tonepub
11-27-2010, 02:33 PM
So you're convinced that the 20 is a bit more musically revealing than the SL-1200?
:)

vintage_tube
11-27-2010, 03:03 PM
So you're convinced that the 20 is a bit more musically revealing than the SL-1200?:)

Hi Jeff - well I never had a SL-1200 -- the SME combo replaced the MT10 (Clearaudio w/Stradavari). Prior tables I had were in the under $5K range (just to put it into a cost perspective). I'd say yes definitely, to your question. There was and is a benefit by spending the money SME commands -- the rewards are unbelieveable actually. The noise floor is non-existant and with the cartridge I have, the whole combination has an uncanty ability to delve into the groove and extract everything in the most realism I have heard in my system. I can't narrow it down to what component is responsible moreso than the other -- is it the tone arm or table -- but leaning somewhat towards the table itself in its suspension design with alot of help from the SME V. We've heard it a hundred times, but the synergy with those two is spot on & I'm estatic.

Bob

Tonepub
11-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Sorry, I'm confusing you with someone else that had an SL-1200 with an SME 20 on the way...

Tonepub
12-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Actually, the big Garrard Rim Drive tables have made a pretty strong comeback and they are pretty spendy too. Not my cup of tea, but there are some that swear by them.

two dot
12-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Anyone who has ever heard the Shindo 301 Player System, which is based on the Garrard platform, would never not consider it one of the best that they have heard.

Me thinks..

f1 fan
12-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Anyone who has ever heard the Shindo 301 Player System, which is based on the Garrard platform, would never not consider it one of the best that they have heard.

Me thinks..
They are a first class table with great looks and oh the sound is to die for;)

Dave

Puma Cat
12-18-2010, 02:08 AM

Me thinks..

Isn't this a double negative? Are you saying that anyone who has ever heard the Shindo 301 would think it is one of the best they have heard? :scratch2:

Tonepub
12-18-2010, 02:28 AM

Me thinks..

Too warm, thick and slow for my taste. Very romantic not a ton of resolution. I know John DeVore and his crew are crazy about them. But that's why there are so many choices!

two dot
12-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Isn't this a double negative? Are you saying that anyone who has ever heard the Shindo 301 would think it is one of the best they have heard? :scratch2:

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Everyone that I KNOW that has heard a Shindo 301 System has loved the sound and many have compared it to tt's costing much, much more.

But, as Jeff points out... it may not be for everyone.

Tonepub
12-18-2010, 04:00 PM
You've got the perfect Shindo system. The DeVore speakers are fast, image like crazy and a bit on the thin side overall. They are a perfect balance for the lush sound of the Shindo gear. Another example of perfect system synergy.

two dot
12-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks Jeff,

In my 30 years of fooling with this stuff, I have never been more happy with the music that plays daily than I am right now.