PDA

View Full Version : Any Conrad-Johnson owner here?

Puma Cat
09-02-2010, 02:22 AM
As our esteemed Ivan doesn't seem to want to create a mfrs forum for C-J, let's start our own owner's thread!

I'm a big fan, and have owned four different C-J products, a PV 12 preamp, a Premier 11A power amp, and my present system, a Premier 17LS preamp and LP70S power amp. Likely will stay with this setup for a long time, unless I can find a Premier 350! ;)

Tell us about your C-J gear, experiences, faves...

Masterlu
09-02-2010, 09:26 AM
As our esteemed Ivan doesn't seem to want to create a mfrs forum for C-J, let's start our own owner's thread!

I'm a big fan, and have owned four different C-J products, a PV 12 preamp, a Premier 11A power amp, and my present system, a Premier 17LS preamp and LP70S power amp. Likely will stay with this setup for a long time, unless I can find a Premier 350! ;)

Tell us about your C-J gear, experiences, faves...

Let's see what kind of response we get to this thread first. :smoking:

cmalak
09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Puma...I have not nor currently own CJ products but if I were to buy one CJ product it would be the Premier 350. They hardly ever come up on Agon. Great power amp. I auditioned the CJ CT5 pre and and LP140 monos and that was quite a nice pairing. I believe the speakers were Thiel 3.7s and an Esoteric digital front end.

Puma Cat
09-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Puma...I have not nor currently own CJ products but if I were to buy one CJ product it would be the Premier 350. They hardly ever come up on Agon. Great power amp. I auditioned the CJ CT5 pre and and LP140 monos and that was quite a nice pairing. I believe the speakers were Thiel 3.7s and an Esoteric digital front end.

I look for Premier 350's daily. I heard one from the guy who sold me my Premier 17LS, and it was REALLY nice.

I have a LP70S and it is a sweet amp, too. I bought it for $2600, which is a steal for a $7500 amp.

chessman
09-03-2010, 10:44 AM
You might want to monitor these guys for a used deal.

Spearit Sound Home Page (http://www.spearitsound.com/specials.htm)

Puma Cat
09-03-2010, 11:56 AM
You might want to monitor these guys for a used deal.

Spearit Sound Home Page (http://www.spearitsound.com/specials.htm)

Thank you; I monitor them almost daily.

Dj_AmTraX
09-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I like JC gear. The pre-amps are GREAT.

turntable
02-26-2011, 11:20 PM
I currently own cj phono, pre and power amps.

In the past I have owned the premier 15 phono and the wonderful premier 16 pre amp.

great amps, great company with superb customer service. Lew Johnson is a real gentlemen.

RoadDawgWest
02-26-2011, 11:45 PM
I currently own the Premier 14 preamp and Premier 15 phono stage in my second system.

Puma Cat
02-27-2011, 12:08 AM
I currently own the Premier 14 preamp and Premier 15 phono stage in my second system.

Nice. I've great things about the Premier 15 phono stage. What amp are you using with them?

RoadDawgWest
02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
I use a McCormack DNA-1. My first high end amplifier purchase. I paired the CJ gear with the McCormack amp before CJ purchased the McCormack line. I thought the CJ preamp with the McCormack amp had a musical synergy.

Puma Cat
02-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Nice. I've heard great things about McCormack amps. I can very easily imagine those two would have a really nice synergy.

RoadDawgWest
02-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Other equipment has come and gone, but I can't bring myself to part with the DNA-1 and the CJ pre and phono. I know there are newer designs that should perform better, but I can't bring myself to part with those pieces.

Puma Cat
02-27-2011, 12:54 AM
I totally get that...the CT-5 and Premier 17LS are still dukin' it out at my place. When you hit on that special combination of components that come together to give you that magical synergy, it can be tough to beat, even with newer stuff.

I have a vintage Harman-Kardon Citation 12 amp from the 70s that I plug in some times just for sh*ts and giggles.

Funny thing is, it sounds d*mn good when driven with a first class preamp like the Premier 17.

ronenash
02-27-2011, 04:22 AM
I am a big CJ fan. In the past I owned the PV10 preamp, CT6 preamp, Premier 12 monoblocks, and briefly had the Act2 in my home. I currently use a renewed Mofit MS 2001 power amp which I will write about in a thread of its own and am waiting to get my ET3SE preamp.
In 9 out of 10 times I compared CJ gear to other offerings the CJ came out as more enjoyable. I am suprised they are getting so little trafic on AA.

Puma Cat
02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Heard the "basic" ET3 with a McCormack amp was quite impressed. I'm sure the ET3SE will be very nice. You probably know that you'll need 500 hrs or so of burn-in on them because of the Teflon caps before it will come into it's own.

ronenash
02-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Yes, I know the drill with Teflons but in most cases its worth the patience.

Coppy
03-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Couldn't resist this topic. I've had C-J equipment for years... mostly tubes but also most of their solid state gear. My first post so here goes:

GAT preamp, TEA1bc phono, LP140 Monoblocks and a Premier 350 backup amp. Just today I spent some time with their new ART monoblocks driven by a Premier 17 upgraded with new teflon caps being broken in. Unbelievable... the very definition of sounding right. I think I'm about to upgrade my Wilson WP7s to Sashas so a new pair of ARTs will have to wait. What a great company, top quality products designed by real music lovers and carefully hand assembled and tested. Lot's of factory upgrades available to current owners who want the superb Teflon caps installed.

joeinid
03-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Welcome to AA Coppy! :banana:

Sounds like a great system.

Joe

Puma Cat
03-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Couldn't resist this topic. I've had C-J equipment for years... mostly tubes but also most of their solid state gear. My first post so here goes:

GAT preamp, TEA1bc phono, LP140 Monoblocks and a Premier 350 backup amp. Just today I spent some time with their new ART monoblocks driven by a Premier 17 upgraded with new teflon caps being broken in. Unbelievable... the very definition of sounding right. I think I'm about to upgrade my Wilson WP7s to Sashas so a new pair of ARTs will have to wait. What a great company, top quality products designed by real music lovers and carefully hand assembled and tested. Lot's of factory upgrades available to current owners who want the superb Teflon caps installed.

Wow. Nice system. That phono stage must be fantastic.

How was the Premier 17 with the Teflon caps? Interesting that it was being used with the ART monoblocks, as it's not one of their current preamps; bet it sounded good, though.

My newly acquired CT-5 has been duking it out with my Premier 17 Series 1 and they both do wonderful, albeit different, things.

Puma Cat
03-04-2011, 02:25 PM
In 9 out of 10 times I compared CJ gear to other offerings the CJ came out as more enjoyable. I am suprised they are getting so little trafic on AA.

I think because a lot of folks here so devoted to Mac, they haven't had the chance to hear much C-J stuff, except for Tonepub, who has been a big C-J fan and owner for a long time. He very likely has more experience with their gear any of us here combined.

I can tell you that C-J gear paired with a set of big Dynaudios is a very musical and sweet matchup.

Dyns don't get any visibility here, except from the 'ole snaggle-toothed, gamy-legged Puma Cat.

Incredible speakers though, they perform at 2-4X their price level.

Coppy
03-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome and, yes all sounds great. The PR 17 had just had an upgrade to Teflon Caps at the factory and was spectacular. It's amazing what a difference they make but I think your CT-5 has them as well.

Puma Cat
03-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome and, yes all sounds great. The PR 17 had just had an upgrade to Teflon Caps at the factory and was spectacular. It's amazing what a difference they make but I think your CT-5 has them as well.

Yes, the CT-5 has Teflon caps as well, but the two preamps use very different triode tubes, the Premier 17 uses 6922s and the CT-5 uses 6N30 (aka 6H30); I think a fair amount of the differences in sonic qualities I am hearing are attributable to the different triode tubes.

Coppy
03-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Hey PC... are you considering a couple of tubes for the CT-5 before making your final decision on pre-amps? Should be a cheap potential improvement that would increase the value of the CT-5 if you decided to sell it.

Puma Cat
03-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi Coppy,
I haven't decided yet what the final decision will be regarding the CT-5 yet; the verdict is still out. I did extensive demoing with a buddy two weeks ago comparing the Premier 17LS and the CT-5, and we both preferred the Pr17. The CT-5 was more detailed, transparent, and resolving, but it also sounded thin, flat, analytical, and was not very good at reproducing massed orchestral strings, like the violin section of a full orchestral piece, for example. The soundstage depth, width and height was smaller and flatter with the CT-5. We both felt the Pr17 imaged better, had a fuller, richer sound, and just plain sounded more like music than the CT-5. After a bit, my buddy didn't want to listen to the CT-5 anymore. He was very impressed with the Pr17, however.

After talking to my friend Tom, who also has a C-J CT-5 and an ET250S amp about our listening experiences and impressions, he still thinks I am going through the infamous C-J Teflon cap burn-in hell (or maybe that should be Teflon cap "burn in hell") syndrome. This preamp was purchased by the person who sold it to me on Dec. 12, 2010, and I bought it right around Feb. 12, so my friend Tom thinks there's no way the owner could have put sufficient hours on it in that short time to be fully burned in. Tom said that it took a good five months of listening before his started to sound good, and it continued to improve for another 3 or so months after that.

With that, I decided to give the CT-5 some more time, and sure enough, this last week, it really seems to be be improving in it's sound quality. I listened to it for several hours yesterday while cleaning records in the Spin-Clean, and there was a point last night when it kind of went "Snap!" and all of a sudden started sounding pretty good.

So...we'll see. I want to get more hours on the CT-5 to see where it's headed, and then perhaps look into some different tubes for it.

Coppy
03-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Well PC, some good news at last. Hope your experience continues to improve. Maybe that's why the fellow sold you the CT-5 so quickly to begin with. I assume Tom is happy with his rig. Keep us informed.

Puma Cat
03-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Well PC, some good news at last. Hope your experience continues to improve. Maybe that's why the fellow sold you the CT-5 so quickly to begin with. I assume Tom is happy with his rig. Keep us informed.

Hi Coppy,
Yes, I thought about the fact that the person who sold it to me may have done so prematurely, though his principal reason was that he had a buddy who had a CT-5 and then got a GAT and convinced him to get a GAT as well.

Tom is quite happy with his rig now that it's fully burned in, but he also will admit being more in the cold and neutral camp than the warm and musical camp in term of his sensibilities. In other words, he's more of a Lyra kind of guy than a Koetsu guy.

wrat
03-30-2011, 07:26 PM
PV 15 paired an MC275 here

Puma Cat
03-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Nice, the PV15 is a nice preamp.

wrat
04-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Nice, the PV15 is a nice preamp.

its the second CJ Pre in my system the first was a PV 10 almost 20 years ago

jimtranr
05-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Premier 17LS line stage and MF2500 amp feeding a pair of Paradigm SE-3's in my main system.

Puma Cat
05-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Welcome,Jim. I was just up in the Willamette Valley (EUG) for work this week. I also have a Premier17LS preamp; it's a damed fine preamp.

Stephen aka PC

n2siast
05-10-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm running PV-15 through Salk Songtowers speakers and powered by MC-402. I'm loving it.

Masterlu
05-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Welcome n2siast! :wave:

paulro
05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
I love the older CJ gear, though the new stuff is a slightly too clinical for my taste. PFR, EF1, Premier 12s in our secondary system, along with Martin Logan CLS IIz's, REL Stadium III, Electrocompaniet CD, KAB-ified SL1200.

The premier 12's can make magic with the CLSs on vocals and smaller scale acoustic material, doing even better than the MC501s or the half dozen other higher-end amps I tried before settling on the 12s.

Ed_Zachary
06-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Hello, new member here,

I own a CJ SA-250 Sonographe and a PV-5. From the McCormack side of the house I own a MAP-1.

The PV-5 and the MAP-1 could not be more different, as the former is a VERY "tube sounding" stereo preamp and the latter is a razor clean solid state 5.1 preamp. Any yet, both of them do exactly what you would expect a CJ product to do, provide sonic excellence.

I am immensely satisfied with all 3 items.

Puma Cat
06-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Welcome, Ed!

Be sure to subscribe and put up your system in your profile.

Cheers,
Stephen aka Puma Cat aka PC

Rafale
06-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Welcome, Ed!

Be sure to subscribe and put up your system in your profile.

Cheers,
Stephen aka Puma Cat aka PC

Hello Puma Cat
i'm new here and i 'm a CJ addict from years
i have owned PV10/PV15/ET3/CT5 and MV55/MV60SE/LP70s
the learning curve of the CT5 is a very long road but you will not regret your purchase, it is a great preamp, be patient....
best regards
Philippe

Jerome W
06-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Hello Puma Cat
the learning curve of the CT5 is a very long road but you will not regret your purchase, it is a great preamp, be patient....
best regards
Philippe

Philippe,

We need pics of your system !

Puma Cat
06-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Hello Puma Cat
best regards
Philippe

Welcome, Rafele.

Nice to have another C-J owner here; we're few and far between! :D

When you say the the learning curve of the CT-5 is a very long road, are you referring to the time it takes to fully burn one in?

Regards,
Stephen aka Puma Cat.

Rafale
06-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Welcome, Rafele.

When you say the the learning curve of the CT-5 is a very long road, are you referring to the time it takes to fully burn one in?

Regards,
Stephen aka Puma Cat.

sorry for my bad english
yes the CT5 needs time for break in, but when you are spot on it is a increadibly good preamp, mine was associated with LP70s and LP140M
regards
Philippe

cmalak
06-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Welcome, Rafele.

Stephen...you guys are almost as rare as the ARC owners on this site :D It's ok, all we have to do is educate these McAddicts that there is a world outside of blue meters in this whacky world of hi-end audio :D

Do you think I am going to get a few comments about this one?? :laughin: http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-stirthepot.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

PS: Ivan/Admin...is there a way for us to add the "pot stirring" smiley to the list of smileys on AA? :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
06-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Stephen...you guys are almost as rare as the ARC owners on this site :D It's ok, all we have to do is educate these McAddicts that there is a world outside of blue meters in this whacky world of hi-end audio :D

Do you think I am going to get a few comments about this one?? :laughin: http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-stirthepot.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

PS: Ivan/Admin...is there a way for us to add the "pot stirring" smiley to the list of smileys on AA? :thumbsup:

Ha! :D Cyril, I think that perhaps the C-J owners may in fact be rarer than the ARC owners. ;)

Yeah, you might get a few comments about this one, but I agree there is world outside of blue meters! :D

There is one class of gear owners here that is even rarer, and I think that is the Dynaudio owners! Of which I think I may be the only one!

Puma Cat
06-19-2011, 03:59 PM
sorry for my bad english
yes the CT5 needs time for break in, but when you are spot on it is a increadibly good preamp, mine was associated with LP70s and LP140M
regards
Philippe

I too have the LP70S, and it is a terrific amp. Perhaps someday I will own a pair of LP140Ms. :thumbsup:

Jerome W
06-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Cyril,
I think that you know that as much a Mcaddict I can be, you won't have to educate me that something else exists and sounds good !
BTW, talking about ARC, and I don't want to hijack this CJ thread, but you started :D, I'm about to order a Ref Phono 2 after reading Jeff's review in toneaudio. I'm hesitating between ordering a LP12SE with an integrated phono preamp, the Urika, or keeping my rig for the moment, and add the REF2....:scratch2:
You see : no Mc here :D!

cmalak
06-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Cyril,
I think that you know that as much a Mcaddict I can be, you won't have to educate me that something else exists and sounds good !
BTW, talking about ARC, and I don't want to hijack this CJ thread, but you started :D, I'm about to order a Ref Phono 2 after reading Jeff's review in toneaudio. I'm hesitating between ordering a LP12SE with an integrated phono preamp, the Urika, or keeping my rig for the moment, and add the REF2....:scratch2:
You see : no Mc here :D!

Jerome...I meant my comment more to "stir the pot" hence the smiley I used. Just teasing in other words. Jerome, when you decide to go all out, you do it right. I have heard nothing but good things about the Phono Ref 2. Every single review has been stellar but if you discount those a little bit and you ask what the user feedback has been, and generally speaking it has been positive across the board. I would talk to Howie about his. I am sure he can share his thoughts on it. Congrats on this next move in analog nirvana.

I have no experience with the Linn LP12 but it sounds like you have fallen in love with the sound. Felicitations, c'est merveilleux :thumbsup: We are all looking forward to the pics when you have it all set up in a few months :yes:

Jerome W
06-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Jerome...I meant my comment more to "stir the pot" hence the smiley I used. Just teasing in other words. Jerome, when you decide to go all out, you do it right. I have heard nothing but good things about the Phono Ref 2. Every single review has been stellar but if you discount those a little bit and you ask what the user feedback has been, and generally speaking it has been positive across the board. I would talk to Howie about his. I am sure he can share his thoughts on it. Congrats on this next move in analog nirvana.

I have no experience with the Linn LP12 but it sounds like you have fallen in love with the sound. Felicitations, c'est merveilleux :thumbsup: We are all looking forward to the pics when you have it all set up in a few months :yes:

Cyril,
What I liked most about Jeff's review is the fact that the Ref2 seems to be the best of both worlds : dynamics and resolution of SS and warmness, humanity of tubes. And it just looks like a wonderful piece of kit.
Will place my order for it this week and will see how it turns out with my actual rig....
Sorry CJ owners, I'm the king of hijacking ! I try to refrain myself from it, but it is just too difficult for me....:D

chessman
06-19-2011, 05:33 PM
If you think CJ and ARC owners are rare, try BAT. I am an army of one. :D

cmalak
06-19-2011, 05:41 PM
If you think CJ and ARC owners are rare, try BAT. I am an army of one. :D

Randy...that is true :D

two dot
06-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Jerome,

Did you go back to a LP-12??? I must have missed that.

Masterlu
06-19-2011, 06:18 PM

I think it can be arranged. :o

cmalak
06-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I think it can be arranged. :o

Thank you as always Ivan ;)

Jerome W
06-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Jerome,

Did you go back to a LP-12??? I must have missed that.

Not yet Stephen,

But I'm seriously considering a LP12 SE.
Probably will improve my phono stage first, with either the ARC Ph8 or Ref2...:scratch2:

Rafale
06-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Not yet Stephen,

But I'm seriously considering a LP12 SE.
Probably will improve my phono stage first, with either the ARC Ph8 or Ref2...:scratch2:

LP12 SE ? like this one ?:music:
http://audioaficionado.org/members/rafale-albums-listening-room-picture563t-lp12-front-2.jpg

Jerome W
06-21-2011, 02:49 AM
OUI !
But I'm not set yet on the plinth color.
I had a walnut one a few years ago.

Rafale
06-21-2011, 07:58 AM
OUI !
But I'm not set yet on the plinth color.
I had a walnut one a few years ago.

it is a custom made plinth by Chris Harban aka woodsong audio
considered by linn owners as one of the best sondek plinth maker
can be ordered in various beautiful wood species : ebony, curly maple, movingui, bubinga, cocobolo....

Jerome W
06-21-2011, 08:05 AM
it is a custom made plinth by Chris Harban aka woodsong audio
considered by linn owners as one of the best sondek plinth maker
can be ordered in various beautiful wood species : ebony, curly maple, movingui, bubinga, cocobolo....

movingui, bubinga, cocobolo :laughin: : those names sing alone !
Must be a sweet sweet sound with your CJ combo ! ( just a note to show that we're not hijacking the thread :D )

Puma Cat
06-22-2011, 10:21 PM
( just a note to show that we're not hijacking the thread :D )

I was beginning to wonder! ;)

Jerome W
06-23-2011, 12:56 AM
I was beginning to wonder! ;)

Oh no Stephen..... That's not my style :laughin: !
CJ amps must be magic with a LP12SE :yes: !

Rafale
06-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Oh no Stephen..... That's not my style :laughin: !
CJ amps must be magic with a LP12SE :yes: !

i confirm and GAT is not fully break in yet...
ART monoblocks in my wish list, waiting for a window of opportunity.... if the french taxman allows:tears:

Jerome W
06-23-2011, 02:44 PM
i confirm and GAT is not fully break in yet...
ART monoblocks in my wish list, waiting for a window of opportunity.... if the french taxman allows:tears:

Philippe, for sure the french taxman is tougher than the greek one :laughin:
We could buy many many things with lower taxes...

Rafale
06-23-2011, 02:55 PM
any lucky owner of ART monoblock amps here ?

Puma Cat
06-23-2011, 10:22 PM
I wish! ;)

Rayooo
07-02-2011, 01:20 AM

yeesh do I also wish!
I'm sure a couple ART MBs would just love to drive my Maggie 3.7s.

Until I win the lottery I'll have to remain a happy CJ preamp user.

turntable
07-02-2011, 01:35 AM

I wish. Only missing one thing before i pull the trigger. The money :D:D

Rafale
07-02-2011, 06:49 AM
I wish. Only missing one thing before i pull the trigger. The money :D:D

OK guys it works
then we are 4, so 7500 USD and 4 month/year each :banana:
have a nice we
Philippe

Rafale
07-02-2011, 06:51 AM
OK guys it works
then we are 4, so 7500 USD and 4 month/year each :banana:
have a nice we
Philippe

hum ...3 month/year seems better ....

Masterlu
07-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Rafale... Great Avatar! :yes:

Rafale
07-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Rafale... Great Avatar! :yes:

thanks...chief..... but nothing compares to U

Masterlu
07-02-2011, 09:34 AM
thanks...chief..... but nothing compares to U

http://www.likeablequotes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/homer-beer.jpg

:thumbsup:

Rafale
07-02-2011, 09:49 AM
http://www.likeablequotes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/homer-beer.jpg

:thumbsup:

what's that ? you drink your vinyl cleaning fluid !!!!!:no:

Puma Cat
07-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Methinks we're getting a little off-topic here. ;)

JohnK
07-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Methinks we're getting a little off-topic here.

Well in a meager attempt to get back on topic....

C-J was one brand I wanted to own, but never have, yet - even though I almost pulled the trigger on the CAV-50 several years ago (any comments on that piece?).

However, that didn't stop me from doing a gratuitous drive-by a couple weeks ago when I was visiting a client. I recalled c-j was close by, so.... I didn't have the time to go in. Perhaps next time.:scratch2:

Tonepub
07-14-2011, 12:28 AM
yeesh do I also wish!
I'm sure a couple ART MBs would just love to drive my Maggie 3.7s.

Until I win the lottery I'll have to remain a happy CJ preamp user.

Get a nice used CJ Premier 350. It will do a lot better job with the Magnepans and you can probably find a perfect one for about 5500 bucks.

Rayooo
07-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Get a nice used CJ Premier 350. It will do a lot better job with the Magnepans and you can probably find a perfect one for about 5500 bucks.

ahhhh, I'd not considered that, but I definitely will now. Thank you for the suggestion!

Rafale
07-14-2011, 08:24 AM
or a ET250S for less than 4500 bucks ?
Conrad Johnson ET 250S For Sale | AudiogoN (http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1313894112&/Conrad-Johnson-ET-250S-less-th)

Rayooo
07-14-2011, 07:38 PM
or a ET250S for less than 4500 bucks ?
Conrad Johnson ET 250S For Sale | AudiogoN (http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1313894112&/Conrad-Johnson-ET-250S-less-th)

I guess my original thought when I last took a look at the ET250S was that it didn't seem like the kind of amp that would love Maggies...and I must stress that I'm only speaking of my own impression, not based on any factual information whatsoever. On the other hand, the Premier 350 seems like it would be a better fit for Maggies.

Puma Cat
07-15-2011, 01:49 AM
I guess my original thought when I last took a look at the ET250S was that it didn't seem like the kind of amp that would love Maggies...and I must stress that I'm only speaking of my own impression, not based on any factual information whatsoever. On the other hand, the Premier 350 seems like it would be a better fit for Maggies.

A friend of mine is using a CT-5 and ET250S to drive Maggies, no problem. While Premier 350s are exceptional amps, they only very rarely come up for sale. In almost 3 years of looking almost daily at C-J gear for sale on the 'Gon, I've only ever seen two for sale on Audiogon.

That price for the ET250S is a screamin' deal.

Rafale
07-15-2011, 05:44 AM
A friend of mine is using a CT-5 and ET250S to drive Maggies, no problem. While Premier 350s are exceptional amps, they only very rarely come up for sale. In almost 3 years of looking almost daily at C-J gear for sale on the 'Gon, I've only ever seen two for sale on Audiogon.

That price for the ET250S is a screamin' deal.

Stephen
how do you like the ET250S ?
I think that it is an excellent amplifier and that it is a bit under estimated
I would be amazed that he cannot drive maggies with ease

Puma Cat
07-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Stephen
how do you like the ET250S ?
I think that it is an excellent amplifier and that it is a bit under estimated
I would be amazed that he cannot drive maggies with ease

Hi Philippe,
I don't have an ET250S, I have an LP70S tube amp.

I wish I had an ET250S, I would love to hear what they could do with my Dyns. The Dyns can really handle big power as they have massive voice coils (3 inch).

The friend of mine that has one is back east, he uses them to drive Maggie 3.6s. He likes the amp a lot and also feels it is under-rated. He uses it with a CT-5 and says the two are a killer combination. He said the ET205 took forever to burn in, a good five months to start to sound good, and it improved for a good 3 months after that. Teflon caps and all that, you know.

Even C-J feels the ET250S is a "sleeper", that is, a great product that most don't know about.

If I had one, I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers, so to speak! ;)

Rafale
07-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Philippe,
I don't have an ET250S, I have an LP70S tube amp.

I wish I had an ET250S, I would love to hear what they could do with my Dyns. The Dyns can really handle big power as they have massive voice coils (3 inch).

The friend of mine that has one is back east, he uses them to drive Maggie 3.6s. He likes the amp a lot and also feels it is under-rated. He uses it with a CT-5 and says the two are a killer combination. He said the ET205 took forever to burn in, a good five months to start to sound good, and it improved for a good 3 months after that. Teflon caps and all that, you know.

Even C-J feels the ET250S is a "sleeper", that is, a great product that most don't know about.

If I had one, I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers, so to speak! ;)
I thought that you had been lucky to listen to it .....

Rafale
07-15-2011, 03:29 PM
no owner of ET250s here ?

Puma Cat
07-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I thought that you had been lucky to listen to it .....

Unfortunately, no....

Rafale
07-30-2011, 06:56 AM
One of my friends equipped with a CT5 and with a LP70s has just bought an ET250S for 4000 euro:yes:, I wait for his conclusions, his speakers are SF cremona auditor M

repman
07-31-2011, 11:20 PM
I have a ET-5 preamp running thru a Premier 11-A amp.

chessman
07-31-2011, 11:31 PM
repman, welcome aboard!! :wave:

cmalak
08-01-2011, 12:18 AM

repman...welcome to AA :wave:. Tell us more about your system :thumbsup: There is a growing number of C-J afficionados on AA :yes:

joeinid
08-01-2011, 12:23 AM
repman, welcome aboard!! :wave:

+1

:welcome2.:

Tonepub
08-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Premier 11 is a nice amp!

Rayooo
08-01-2011, 06:39 AM

Hello and Welcome, how are you liking your ET-5? I've had one now for just over a month.

repman
08-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Gentleman thank you for the warm welcome, I appreciate it.

My current setup consists of Sequel II speakers which I re-paneled this spring , my digital setup is a Mac-Mini via a Rega DAC

Sony 5400-ES sacd player

I use this with a CJ ET-5 pre and a CJ Premier 11- A amp

I really like the ET-5 preamp I had a CT-5 before this and found it to be a bit sterile with the 6N30P tubes , I really like the 6922 tube sound better .

It was a great preamp and I could live with it but I prefer the ET-5 it has a more relaxed musical sound to my ears I updated the 6922 tube to a EAT cool damper tube and it improved the sound over the stock factory tube

A great $250 upgrade and it is supposed to last 10,000 hrs.

Rayooo
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I popped an EAT 6922 in mine as well.

...and of course I didn't even get the ET-5 broken in with the stock tube prior to putting the EAT in. oh well.

Tonepub
08-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Glad you liked the EAT. I've got them in my Mac C500, so curious to see how long they will last.

repman
08-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Glad you liked the EAT. I've got them in my Mac C500, so curious to see how long they will last.

Jeff it was because of your recomendation I installed the EAT tube it made a difference over the stock tube I am looking forward to your ET-5 review in #39.
Any sneak previews?

jaxwired
08-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi guys. New to the forum.

Currently have a CJ Classic SE in front of a Bryston 4bsst2. I like it very much but I want to upgrade to get a remote. I'd appreciate your feedback. I'm considering a new ET3SE or a used PV17LS II. I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Puma Cat
08-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Jaxwired,

Welcome to AA! I know you from the Dyn owner's thread at AVS. Jon (VTSkier) is also a recent member that is also on the Dyn owners forum. Great to have another Dyn owner here, from what I understand, there are now four Dynaudio owners on AA!

When you get chance, please join AA as a subscriber so you can send and receive PMs.

Regarding your post, my recommendation would be to get a Premier 17LS II. When the ET3 came out, I thought about getting an ET-3 to replace my Premier 17LS. I asked both my local C-J dealer and spoke to C-J directly, and asked each which is the better preamp, the Premier 17LS or the ET3, and both my dealer and C-J said, "No question about it, the Premier 17LS is a better preamp than the ET3". They both said this was based on the design and the quality of materials (components) used in the Pr17 compared to the ET3. My guess is that as the ETSE and the LS2 version of the Pr17 only differ from their "regular" versions by the inclusion of Teflon-capacitors, the 17LS2 will be a better pre than the ET3SE.

The Premier 17LS is essentially a baby ART design, and a really wonderful preamp.

After months of comparison listening, I've decided I'm going to keep my Premier 17LS and sell my CT-5. The CT-5 is faster, cleaner, more transparent and quieter than the Premier 17, but in my system, I prefer the Premier 17 for it's warmth, weight, and sweetness. They are both wonderful preamps, and both have their strengths and weaknesses, and it is more of a do you prefer to Cabernet Sauvignon to a Pinot Noir kind of thing, but I've decided I prefer the Pinot, flaws and all. The CT-5 will be going up for sale soon, probably around Labor Day. This should tell you something about how good the 17LS is. The Premier 17 has a sweetness to it that is very beguiling, much, if I were to hazard a guess, in the ways some folks find Shindo beguiling.

ronenash
08-23-2011, 02:09 AM

Currently have a CJ Classic SE in front of a Bryston 4bsst2. I like it very much but I want to upgrade to get a remote. I'd appreciate your feedback. I'm considering a new ET3SE or a used PV17LS II. I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

The ET3SE is a great preamp. I have had it for a while and it sounds great. It has the more modern CJ sound with much greater transparency and resolution than previous designs. Its less "warm" sounding than previous design so if you like that warm tube sound the 17LS will be a better choice. You will lose some of the transparency and details though.
Note that there is also a none SE version of this preamp which sounds a bit warmer than the SE model. I still think the SE is the one to go for.

jimtranr
08-23-2011, 02:11 AM
Jaxwired,
The Premier 17 has a sweetness to it that is very beguiling...

Concur, and that's with a different downstream at this end. At the same time, what sweetness it has doesn't cloy or eviscerate the astringency of a histoire du soldat or the brassy bite of a Jets vs. Sharks street rumble. Not to these ears, at least.

jaxwired
08-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Jaxwired,

Welcome to AA! I know you from the Dyn owner's thread at AVS. Jon (VTSkier) is also a recent member that is also on the Dyn owners forum. Great to have another Dyn owner here, from what I understand, there are now four Dynaudio owners on AA!

When you get chance, please join AA as a subscriber so you can send and receive PMs.

Regarding your post, my recommendation would be to get a Premier 17LS II. When the ET3 came out, I thought about getting an ET-3 to replace my Premier 17LS. I asked both my local C-J dealer and spoke to C-J directly, and asked each which is the better preamp, the Premier 17LS or the ET3, and both my dealer and C-J said, "No question about it, the Premier 17LS is a better preamp than the ET3". They both said this was based on the design and the quality of materials (components) used in the Pr17 compared to the ET3. My guess is that as the ETSE and the LS2 version of the Pr17 only differ from their "regular" versions by the inclusion of Teflon-capacitors, the 17LS2 will be a better pre than the ET3SE.

The Premier 17LS is essentially a baby ART design, and a really wonderful preamp.

After months of comparison listening, I've decided I'm going to keep my Premier 17LS and sell my CT-5. The CT-5 is faster, cleaner, more transparent and quieter than the Premier 17, but in my system, I prefer the Premier 17 for it's warmth, weight, and sweetness. They are both wonderful preamps, and both have their strengths and weaknesses, and it is more of a do you prefer to Cabernet Sauvignon to a Pinot Noir kind of thing, but I've decided I prefer the Pinot, flaws and all. The CT-5 will be going up for sale soon, probably around Labor Day. This should tell you something about how good the 17LS is. The Premier 17 has a sweetness to it that is very beguiling, much, if I were to hazard a guess, in the ways some folks find Shindo beguiling.

Puma, thanks for the welcome!

I'm interested in your CT5...

joeinid
08-23-2011, 10:15 AM

Thanks!

Hi! Welcome to the forum :music:

Joe

jonnytenn
08-24-2011, 01:13 PM
HI ,
I have a upgraded PV-5 running a LP-70

jaxwired
08-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey guys, can anybody tell me how much a Premier 16LS II should go for used? What's a good deal? Thanks!

Puma Cat
08-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Jax,
The one on Audiogon is priced below the median used price. There is a blue book that Audiogon sellers can use to determine the median "blue book" price. Most sellers price their gear right on or around the median price, the median price for Pr16 LSII is $4290, so if you're interested, I would snap up that Premier 16LS2. Be sure it really is a Series 2, it's not absolutely clear that it is....double check with the seller.

turntable
08-25-2011, 04:00 AM
If it is a series 2 prem 16, it will have a sticker that cj put on the unit at the back of the unit where the serial number is.

BTW, It is a sensational pre amp.

jaxwired
08-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Any of you try audio research preamps? How do they compare to the CJ? Why do you prefer CJ? Thanks.

jaxwired
08-28-2011, 10:11 PM
BTW, been reading up on the CA 200. Fascinating amp. I'd love to get my ears on one. You could really simplify your life with an amp like that. Plenty of power in a very compact package. It's tempting but it would have to give me some tube-like magic. After owning a CJ classic SE I'm hooked.

turntable
08-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Any of you try audio research preamps? How do they compare to the CJ? Why do you prefer CJ? Thanks.

I have had an ARC LS27 for the last month. It is a nice sounding pre amp and its leaner upper bass/ midrange coupled quite well with my system but something was missing - could not put my finger on it as things were sounding nice.

I then put back my cj preamp back into the system on the weekend. Now we are talking. The music was just flowing, my feet tapping and tonal meat on the musicxal bone. ARC has gone this way with the REF40 more so than any of their previous pre amps. For me, that sealed the deal and reinforced why I have been a cj fan for the past 11 years, despite a few short term affairs with other gear.

BTW, all the 6922 cj pre amps have the same " house" sound and IMO the prem 16 really is the sweet point for the ART based pre amps. I have not heard the new GAT or ET5.

IMO, cj is just more musical and fun to listen to long term. This quality may be hard to appreciate on a short comparison with more " impressive" sounding components

Cheers

repman
08-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Turntable I could not agree with you more . the CJ stuff just has a musical rightness to it that keeps my toes tapping. I have heard other preamps that are very good and maybe better than a CJ in certain aspects of the delivery.
But as a whole I will take a CJ over all I have heard.

ursomtl
09-04-2011, 03:58 PM
I still own a Mv-50 and a Pv-8 after more than 20 years! Still happy!
They're partnered with Totem Forest and a great Pro-Ject 9. Great sound!
I might change my Forest for the new ElectroMotion ESL.

chessman
09-04-2011, 05:26 PM
ursomtl, welcome aboard! :wave:

joeinid
09-04-2011, 05:28 PM

+1

Hi!

Rafale
09-04-2011, 05:37 PM
I still own a Mv-50 and a Pv-8 after more than 20 years! Still happy!
They're partnered with Totem Forest and a great Pro-Ject 9. Great sound!
I might change my Forest for the new ElectroMotion ESL.

Very nice system, it is great to meet you, welcome:music::thumbsup:

ursomtl
09-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Hi everyone and thanks for being this nice !!

dpod4
09-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Great thread...just subscribed to it....I'm on the hunt for a Premier 350, and it sounds like from this thread they are veeeerrrry hard to come by! Bummer.

joeinid
09-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Great thread...just subscribed to it....I'm on the hunt for a Premier 350, and it sounds like from this thread they are veeeerrrry hard to come by! Bummer.

Join the club. :D The last one on Audiogon lasted less than a day :tears: The newer ET250 is supposed to be very close and in some ways better. I am tempted. :scratch2:

joeinid
09-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone and thanks for being this nice !!

:hug: I think we are all here for the fun of it. To learn, live and laugh.

:hswhome:

ronenash
09-26-2011, 10:14 AM
BTW, been reading up on the CA 200. Fascinating amp. I'd love to get my ears on one. You could really simplify your life with an amp like that. Plenty of power in a very compact package. It's tempting but it would have to give me some tube-like magic. After owning a CJ classic SE I'm hooked.

The CA200 is a great amp indeed. I have used it for a few month and found it better than anything I have heard before. The bloom and air around instruments is unmatched by anything I had the pleasure of hearing until I got the LP125M.
For the money the CA200 is a fenominal buy!:yes:

Masterlu
09-26-2011, 10:22 AM
ursomtl... Welcome! :wave:

Pider
09-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Still haven't found any C-J in the Portland, OR, area to audition. I believe Jeff D has such, but will not be able to get together with him until late Oct or so. What I have been hearing is that if you like tight bass you might want to pair a tube pre with a tran amp? Any thoughts?

Puma Cat
09-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Pider,
Are you looking for an amp to go with a C-J preamp?

Puma Cat
09-26-2011, 03:01 PM

While they are great amps, you don't want a Premier 350, they are unstable and prone to blowing up if you disconnect/reconnect them to speakers w/o FULLY discharging the (very large) power supply capacitors in the amp. My local C-J dealer toasted an amp doing exactly this. C-J worked and worked on the problem, but whatever changes they made to prevent this from happening also caused the amp not to sound as good. This is the reason the amp was discontinued by C-J and the ET250S was introduced.

Rafale
09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=Puma Cat;209157]While they are great amps, you don't want a Premier 350, they are unstable and prone to blowing up if you disconnect/reconnect them to speakers w/o FULLY discharging the (very large) power supply capacitors in the amp. My local C-J dealer toasted an amp doing exactly this. C-J worked and worked on the problem, but whatever changes they made to prevent this from happening also caused the amp not to sound as good. This is the reason the amp was discontinued by C-J and the ET250S was introduced.

It is a well kept secret.... in any case on the European continent...

Coppy
09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Puma... my experience with the P350 is different than your suggestion having A-B my speakers it with my LP 140s on many occasions without an issue. Now... I'm real careful not to short the speaker outputs of the P350, powered on or not while I'm doing test listening switches. Guess that's what could do it, and maybe any powerful solid state amp could have the problem. After all, it's the power supply that gives an amp it's transient capability and there's no output transformer to protect the circuit.

Rafale
09-26-2011, 06:22 PM
do you switch LP140/P350 power on ?

Puma Cat
09-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Puma... my experience with the P350 is different than your suggestion having A-B my speakers it with my LP 140s on many occasions without an issue. Now... I'm real careful not to short the speaker outputs of the P350, powered on or not while I'm doing test listening switches. Guess that's what could do it, and maybe any powerful solid state amp could have the problem. After all, it's the power supply that gives an amp it's transient capability and there's no output transformer to protect the circuit.

Coppy,
That could certainly be the root cause. I was told of this failure mode by the owner of Spearit Sound, and it was confirmed by my local C-J dealer, who destroyed an amp due to this issue. Guess the bottom line is you need to be really careful.

Pider
09-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Pider,
Are you looking for an amp to go with a C-J preamp?

Yes, but before I do that, I need to listen to a C-J anything. Can't find them anywhere in the Portland area. I must be blind; they have to be here somewhere.

And, why is it that folks who have perfectly good tube systems in their shop, such as ARC, try their level best to dissuade one from going with tubes?

jimtranr
09-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Yes, but before I do that, I need to listen to a C-J anything. Can't find them anywhere in the Portland area. I must be blind; they have to be here somewhere.

Stereotypes (which is where I got mine in the early 2000's) used to carry c-j, but is now an ARC dealer instead. I don't get into Portland often, so I haven't really kept up with who's carrying what there these days. If you haven't already, you might fill out the inquiry form linked below on the c-j website to find the nearest dealer.

http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/dealerfindform.html

Jim

jimtranr
09-27-2011, 04:55 PM

You're not blind, Pider. I submitted the dealer inquiry form myself this morning to find dealers near Corvallis and just received a reply from Ed at c-j customer service saying there aren't any. And then...

"We do have an excellent dealer to work with by phone if you'd like. Try contacting Spearit Sound (Northampton, MA)."

Jim

dpod4
09-27-2011, 05:10 PM
I can vouch for Spearit Sound, especially Jack Tozzi and crew. Great guys, straightforward.

Pider
09-28-2011, 09:19 AM
I've been on their site, and I'm even going to be somewhat close by this weekend (Boston), but unfortunately I'm playing tour guide and won't be able to break free for a day of driving and listening. It's the latter that I need to do, obviously.

I'll have to insist that the good folks at Steretypes demo their ARC's for me. Whichever shop I've visited, all have tried to stear me away from tubes, citing the higher costs, higher fiddling time, greater care needed, crappy bass performance, etc. Thus, I've auditioned SS everything. What I want to hear is the best system, electronics and speakers, that will make me smile at a good cello or oboe recording, and good jazz ensambles. Yes, I'd like a good standup bass too, so I thought that maybe a tube pre with a SS amp. I love full orchestral, but not as often.

dpod4
09-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Spearit Sound will let you demo their equipment in your home. They pay for shipping to you. You pay return shipping.

JONERVI
09-29-2011, 03:14 AM

No issues with my 350 SA as well........great amp indeed. I also own a pair of LP140's.......and should any performance issues arise, I'm luckily just a short drive away from the factory.

Rafale
09-29-2011, 08:07 AM
No issues with my 350 SA as well........great amp indeed. I also own a pair of LP140's.......and should any performance issues arise, I'm luckily just a short drive away from the factory.

Hello JONERVI, nice system.....:thumbsup:

dpod4
09-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Which do you like better lp140 or 350?

joeinid
09-29-2011, 12:36 PM

Isn't that like asking which is your favorite child :D They all have good and bad qualities. :scratch2:

dpod4
09-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Isn't that like asking which is your favorite child :D They all have good and bad qualities. :scratch2:

Right you are! I just wish I could afford lots of children!

joeinid
09-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Right you are! I just wish I could afford lots of children!

Ha, Ha, Ha. :D Just name them like George Foreman did with his kids.

Conrad I
Conrad II
Conrad III
Conrad IV
etc. :D

JONERVI
09-30-2011, 03:45 AM

The LP140's are really special.....I prefer those for intimate listening sessions.

The 350SA is a workhorse, for when I want to listen at higher volumes.

JONERVI
09-30-2011, 03:47 AM
Hello JONERVI, nice system.....:thumbsup:

Thank you Rafale, nice speakers you have...or so i have heard. :D

JONERVI
09-30-2011, 03:55 AM

Well no children here, so the answer is easy.....the LP350140SA is the clear winner :stirthepot:

Rafale
09-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Ha, Ha, Ha. :D Just name them like George Foreman did with his kids.

Conrad I
Conrad II
Conrad III
Conrad IV
etc. :D

Joe .... do you think about the purchase of a Rogue Audio amp ?

joeinid
09-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Joe .... do you think about the purchase of a Rogue Audio amp ?

Hi Philippe,

I did in fact buy the Rogue Atlas Magnum amp. It was very inexpensive for a new in box unit and I could not pass it up. It has KT90's and it will take EL34's, KT77's and I think 1 or 2 other types. Plus, it has a built-in bias meter for convenience. It puts out 90wpc with KT90's and 55-65wpc with the other tubes. I wanted a lower power tube amp to play with and one that I do not have to worry about. Even though it's not super powerful, it does get very warm. It's the nature of the beast. It really sounds great with my ET5 and I will try KT77's soon. The KT77 is supposed to be a very nice tube.

As much as I want a nice pair of C-J amps, and with my listening habits, I can't justify them yet. I am really trying to figure out which way I want to go for next year and may try to reduce some of the gear I have for gear I really want. At least I am getting some tube love out of the ET5/Atlas combo. So the saga continues and I really appreciate you guys for planting the C-J seed. It's funny, since getting my ET5 and pairing that with everything else I have, I have not used the Burmester gear as much. Maybe I like to tinker. I do like the variety and have some thinking to do. :scratch2:

Rafale
09-30-2011, 03:24 PM
I always have an eye on Rogue Audio, I like the spirit of the brand and their value for money is imo amazing

joeinid
09-30-2011, 04:47 PM
I always have an eye on Rogue Audio, I like the spirit of the brand and their value for money is imo amazing

Many years ago I had a Rogue 99 magnum preamp with M-120 monos and I was very pleased with the setup.

Rafale
09-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Joe....did you try their phonostages?

joeinid
09-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Joe....did you try their phonostages?

No, I have no need for phono. I am afraid to get into a turntable. I don't think I have the patience for setup and maintenance. :no:

Rafale
09-30-2011, 05:12 PM
:nono:very easy Joe
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwUJbNupoxJ3EXkpzzsQjOU3ybjxrgn cUBGvgOK9eGVq2Ub8JbIQ

joeinid
09-30-2011, 05:16 PM
:tresbon:

:roflmao::laughin:

Rafale
09-30-2011, 05:17 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT39q1vfq5b36QE-Qt4N36amtTkdAOz5Xn705vOr3MltZAsRIBtDgI assure you it is not a problem, analog is cool

turntable
09-30-2011, 08:24 PM
No, I have no need for phono. I am afraid to get into a turntable. I don't think I have the patience for setup and maintenance. :no:

Joe.

cj and turntables go hand in hand. :music:

With the music that comes out from good analog you will be itching to tweak and listen. You certainly have the system and gear to get the most out of analog. :banana::banana:

joeinid
09-30-2011, 08:47 PM
I appreciate the votes of confidence, I'll think about it. :)

domj
01-12-2012, 03:01 AM
Hi guys, CJ owner checking in. I am using a Classic pre and MV60SE driving Focal 1007BEs. :).

joeinid
01-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi guys, CJ owner checking in. I am using a Classic pre and MV60SE driving Focal 1007BEs. :).

Welcome domj.

Enjoy the forums.

:welcome2.::pg2:

jimtranr
01-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Welcome aboard, domj.

Puma Cat
01-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Welcome, domj!

Rafale
01-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Hello and welcome Domj:thumbsup:

Joe Appierto
01-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Greetings and welcome aboard!

chessman
01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
domj, welcome aboard! :wave:

dpod4
01-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Welcome to CJ Mecca!

Pider
01-12-2012, 08:29 PM

Welcome aboard, domj! :thumbsup:

domj
01-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks to all for e warm welcome. Lotsa info here to go through 😊

erfurt
05-05-2012, 01:26 PM
CJ gear in the den: EV-1 phono section, Premier 17LS2 pre, and Premier Twelve monos driving Proac D40R's. :thumbsup:

Andy

turntable
05-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Welcome efurt and domj.

cj rules!!

aldinohiend
05-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Hello from Italy.
I am a big fan of Conrad Johnson.
I owned the PV15, MV60, Premier 17LS, Premier 17LSII.
My current system consists of:
- McIntosh MCD 1100
- CJ Premier 16LSII
- CJ Premier 140
- Wilson Sophia II

chessman
05-07-2012, 01:49 PM
aldinohiend, welcome! :wave:

jwhite613
05-07-2012, 02:15 PM
aldinohiend... Welcome To AA!!!

two dot
05-07-2012, 03:59 PM
I just sold my last CJ piece.

A BEAUTIFUL CJ TEA-2

I must say that I will really miss the beautiful simplicity of this piece.

Puma Cat
05-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Congrats on the sale.

So you also sold the CA-200?

Joe Appierto
05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Welcome, Aldinohiend! :)

two dot
05-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Congrats on the sale.

Yes,

to a lucky AAer...

aldinohiend
05-08-2012, 12:26 AM
@ CHESSMAN
@ JWHITE613
@ JOE APPIERTO
Thanks to all!!!

'cisco
05-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Congrats on the sale.

Yes,

to a lucky AAer...

:wave: .....yep, that be me. :yes:

I'm a very happy first-time CJ owner now and I've never auditioned a piece of CJ gear before. I just went in blind.....relied on all the great CJ owners here and the fabulous reviews.
Love the solid built quality.... the metal remote down to the nice speaker binding posts and most importantly....it sounds terrific with my Duettes. :thumbsup:

The only 2 negs....and a small one at that...a minor thump on power on and off thru my speakers and the temp. It gets warmer than my Mc in one hour than my Mc on for 16 straight hours.

I'll try to post some pics later.....here's a teaser that's my avatar....

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8028/7131106645_615a69ee3e_z.jpg

Puma Cat
05-08-2012, 02:12 AM
Cool! Enjoy 'cisco and let us know your impressions as you develop them. Heard nothing but great things about the CA200.

FWiW,my C-J power amp has a small thump when I turn it off. I wouldn't worry about the heat from the CA200...C-J gear is very very durable.

'cisco
05-08-2012, 04:19 AM
Cool! Enjoy 'cisco and let us know your impressions as you develop them. Heard nothing but great things about the CA200.

FWiW,my C-J power amp has a small thump when I turn it off. I wouldn't worry about the heat from the CA200...C-J gear is very very durable.

Stephen....thanks for the vote of confidence. :thumbsup:

blackhawk
05-21-2012, 06:47 PM
I've own CJ premier 18LS for just over 4yrs and I can say it's the best preamp I've had in my system. It has clarity and bass to die for. My system consist of Naim CDS3 source, CJ premier 18LS pre, Gamut D200 MKII driving Monitor audio studio50. All chord sig cables and musicworks power cables and distribution block

begli occhi
05-22-2012, 03:52 AM
I had been CJ lover for quite sometime now. Presently, I use a GAT preamp and LP140M amps and love the sound that the combo produce. They drive a pair of Guarneri Evolution.

CDLehner
05-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I've own CJ premier 18LS for just over 4yrs and I can say it's the best preamp I've had in my system. It has clarity and bass to die for. My system consist of Naim CDS3 source, CJ premier 18LS pre, Gamut D200 MKII driving Monitor audio studio50. All chord sig cables and musicworks power cables and distribution block

Blackhawk, I just tried that pre-amp; after an ET-2, and before an ET-3. Maybe it's just an SS v. Tube thing...but I preferred the others. However, it was a fine, fine unit...with strengths of its own (for example...it sounded great, and dynamic at low volumes). Ever tried C-J tube gear?

jwhite613
05-22-2012, 08:32 PM
blackhawk... Welcome To AA!!!

joeinid
05-22-2012, 11:24 PM

I had been CJ lover for quite sometime now. Presently, I use a GAT preamp and LP140M amps and love the sound that the combo produce. They drive a pair of Guarneri Evolution.

blackhawk and begli occhi,

Welcome! Nice gear you both have!

:welcome2.::pg2:

Puma Cat
05-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Blackhawk, I just tried that pre-amp; after an ET-2, and before an ET-3. Maybe it's just an SS v. Tube thing...but I preferred the others. However, it was a fine, fine unit...with strengths of its own (for example...it sounded great, and dynamic at low volumes). Ever tried C-J tube gear?

CD,
You're clearly enjoying your system a lot lately with your C1 Sigs and C-J "drivetrain"! :thumbsup:

I think that's great; it's a nice feeling...I'm feel the same. C-J tube gear and Dyns make for some musical bliss, IMO.

BTW, the Wadia 121 is proving to be pretty wonderful...one of the reasons I feel like I'm "there".

Cheers,
PC

begli occhi
05-23-2012, 02:41 AM
Thanks Joeinid. Nice preamp you have there.

CDLehner
05-23-2012, 07:09 AM
CD,
You're clearly enjoying your system a lot lately with your C1 Sigs and C-J "drivetrain"! :thumbsup:

I think that's great; it's a nice feeling...I'm feel the same. C-J tube gear and Dyns make for some musical bliss, IMO.

BTW, the Wadia 121 is proving to be pretty wonderful...one of the reasons I feel like I'm "there".

Cheers,
PC

Stephen I really am. I can honestly say, I've never gotten as much enjoyment from a system as I am right now. Things sound great, which of course is the biggest part of it; but also "easy" and "relaxed". Whatever the reason, "I'm there"; no need to futz or wonder if things could be "better".

The ET-3 is spectacular (for the price...it's not, after all, a GAT), the mf-2250a is proving a fine fit with my room; the W4S DAC-2 is really a very good DAC. This was my "dream" DAC at one point; but there was so much hype, when it was first released, it kinda suffered some backlash and wasn't the "it" DAC anymore. Well...believe the hype, lol. As you know, I've tried 5/6 DACs, in the $500-$1500 range...and this, IMO, is the best. With the right system, of course. It's pretty hyper-detailed, but I find that a good match with the smooth C-J kit.

I'm sure the Wadia is a killer unit; after all, it's got that amazing 9018 chip at its heart as well. And we all know, Wadia knows its digital! I do need the right Hydra 4 though...lol. Hard to come by, but I only need 3 outlets (I prefer to run the power-amp right from the wall).

Masterlu
05-23-2012, 08:01 AM
blackhawk and begli occhi... Welcome! :wave:

chessman
05-23-2012, 11:05 AM

Yup, what he said. ;)

joeinid
05-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks Joeinid. Nice preamp you have there.

Thank you! We are in good company. Tomorrow night I'll be in heaven.

begli occhi
05-24-2012, 11:01 PM

Thanks Master Lu.

lotus340r
05-25-2012, 09:32 AM
A formal hello from me as well here in the UK and a welcome to anyone who has joined recently.

I too jumped in blind and grabbed myself an ACT2.2 and 350 after coming from Dynavector L300mkii/HX1.2 which I previously owned last year.

Going with the CJ combo seemed a good idea and everyhting written about them seemed to suggest it was what I was looking for. Suffice to say, I wasn't wrong !

I have since discovered Avalon speakers. Another synergistic match with CJ.

ursomtl
07-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Hey guys.
Would you advise a pair of Martin Logan ESL/ElectroMotions with my system?
It consist if a C-J pair of MV-50 and PV-8 coupled to a Pro-Ject RPM-9.1
I currently own Totem Forests
Thanks for your advise

chessman
07-03-2012, 01:46 PM

skroudo
07-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Hey guys.
Thanks for your advise

Welcome :)

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

rthomeint
07-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Hey guys.
Thanks for your advise

I have a pair of Electromotions and I have a Premier 11A. The speakers are fairly efficient at 91 db. This combo sounds great. I get a really large soundstage. I was impressed a the bass out of this combo. It's more than enough power to fill my 22 by 14 foot room. I was running an MV-52 bridged in mono on the Electromotion center and that worked well also.

Rob

ursomtl
07-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Thx Chessman, Skroudo :-D

@Rthomeint: it sounds very promising, I can't stop thinking I should get the ElectroMotions. I've been intrigued by ESL tech since I first saw Quad and ML speakers ... A few years ago (say 25?). Only, it's been a little while I had lots of $ to buy Hi-Fi stuff. Is it my chance? Should I stop at my local Futershop and buy them? I've seen yesterday that they now have the bigger Theos... but they are much more expensive at 2749$ each! Ooch! I can't reach that high. So maybe I should look for the EM after all.

So, they sound large and deep, what else? What type of speaker cable do you have?

Thanks

P.s. it's great to be part is such a nice community 😃

rthomeint
07-04-2012, 08:39 PM
The Electromotions are a great speaker, I replaced a pair if Von Schweikert VR4s gen II with these. The only place where the VR4s better these is at the very bottom with more extension. The esls are very detailed without sound hard or bright. They have really nice dynamics. Vocals just have a natural quality that can be beat for the price. I've heard speakers that are better than these starting at 2x the price. As near as I can tell The major difference between the Theos and electromotion is the woofer cabinet is nicer on the Theos and it has a aluminum cone instead of paper. The woofer might have a little more speed and control. I spoke with a ML rep and he told me that you have to move much higher up the ML line to get a significant jump in performance. I am using Audioquest CV-8, it's there best copper at 14AWG with DBS. I spoken with someone at Audioquest and was told I would have spend a lot more money to get a jump in performance.

ursomtl
07-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Great great comment and advice! Thanks for that!
Your description convinced me (but I was already sold to it), it's always good to keep a more rational mind and ask for some help.
But this is what my feelings told me, to go for it!
And on top of that, i read that the ML EM act more like a little flagship than a cheap version of a good speaker! Good for me!
None of the high-end audio store has it in Montreal so there is no way I can listen to the speakers. Blind buy? Not easy. At least, I have 30 days to return the product.
First thing first, I need to sell my Totem Forest