PDA

View Full Version : My Clearaudio Concept arrived today

Puma Cat
09-01-2010, 01:49 AM
I bought it very slightly used for use as a mono deck and it arrived today. I set up it with my Grado Reference Sonata stereo cart just for giggles as I didn't feel up to ripping the Shelter out of the SME V just yet. Installing the cart and setting up the table was a snap, really easy. The cartridge clips were really nice, and it was easy to slide them on and them mount up the cartridge. I set the tracking force to 1.5 grams, did a quick check of alignment and it's good to go.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/large/Concept-1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/large/Concept-2.jpg

Initial impressions are quite favorable, w/o doing an A/B with the Michell. The Concept images very well, with excellent soundstage depth and excellent imaging, in fact, the thing images like nobody's business. Very good bass performance, perhaps very slightly overripe and plummy with the Grado Sonata and this arm, but quite nice bass overall. Highs are slightly rolled off and a bit compressed with less air than the Shelter, but again, I attribute this more to the Grado than the table. The mids are to die for, but Grados are all about killer mids. While it sounds like way overkill, I'd love to hear this baby with a Dynavector XV-1S, but I will be trying with the Shelter here in the next few days.

With a properly recorded LPs it gives a really nice sense of recording venue ambiance, excellent decay, and inner detail, and the harmonics, tone colors and overtones are excellent, the Grado being exemplary here. The overall presentation is punchy, solid, and muscular and with excellent rhythmic drive. It certainly has a fuller sound than my Rega Planar 3/SME III with the Sonata on it, which, while musiclal, is thinner and leaner sounding.

Rilands
09-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Congratulations on your new toy. I"ve had the Clearaudio Emotion for several years now and can't say enough good about it. I hope you enjoy your Concept.:thumbsup:
Mike

audiosoul
09-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Congratulations! I have a concept to and am very happy with it. I noticed you are using a JA Mitchell record clamp with it. I was thinking of getting one. Does it slip over the spindle easly? Enjoy your new toy.....

two dot
09-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I know that it is entry level but I just think this is a COOL LOOKING TT!!!

f1 fan
09-02-2010, 12:37 AM
+1, that's a beautiful 'table, simple, elegant and musical;);)

Dave

Puma Cat
09-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Congratulations! I have a concept to and am very happy with it. I noticed you are using a JA Mitchell record clamp with it. I was thinking of getting one. Does it slip over the spindle easly? Enjoy your new toy.....

Yes, it works fine. i have a Michell also, so i just use the Michell's clamp on the Clearaudio (can't use two TTs at the same time).

Puma Cat
09-02-2010, 12:39 AM
I know that it is entry level but I just think this is a COOL LOOKING TT!!!

It sure doesn't sound like an entry level table...

two dot
09-02-2010, 12:50 AM
No, I hear that it performs WAY ABOVE it's price point...

Congrats!!!

I really like it and have scheemed on getting a 4th TT...

f1 fan
09-02-2010, 12:54 AM
4 'tables?? I got some catching up to do;)

Dave

Puma Cat
09-02-2010, 01:29 AM
No, I hear that it performs WAY ABOVE it's price point...

I would agree...

Art K
09-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Looking good, PC!

Puma Cat
09-04-2010, 02:40 AM
Hey Art,
Where did the guy who set up your table get that Clearaudio disc shaped protractor?

I need one of those...see my post about setting up cart alignment on Clearaudio tables.

Art K
09-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Hey Art,
Where did the guy who set up your table get that Clearaudio disc shaped protractor?

I need one of those...see my post about setting up cart alignment on Clearaudio tables.

Not sure where he picked it up at. Next time we talk I'll ask. He's tied up today or I'd give him a buzz.

vintage_tube
09-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Hey Art,

I need one of those...

I looked around and couldn't see where this was mentioned previously -- can you direct me to the post & pic. Curious if it's one I have.

Thanks

Bob

Puma Cat
09-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Bob,
It might have been in another thread in another forum...Art would know, it's the thread where his dealer came over. AudioKarma perhaps?

Art K
09-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Feickert-Next Generation Universal Protractor-Turntable Set Up Tools | Acoustic Sounds (http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/69498/Feickert-Next_Generation_Universal_Protractor-Turntable_Set_Up_Tools)

The latest generation of what Dale used with my Concept...take a close look, he's setting up a Concept in this ad.